OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 09:06:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Update on Father Corapi  (Read 10404 times) Average Rating: 0
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2011, 06:40:53 PM »

I didn't see it above, what is "SOLT?"  Society of (something)?

SOLT stands for "The Society of Our Lady of the Most Holy Trinity"...that is the name of the association.  It is a canonical entity that, unlike an order that answers to a Superior, or a house that answers to an Abbott, the society answers to the bishop in the diocese where the society was raised to canonical status.  That is why Father Corapi's obedience is to the local bishop and not the founder of SOLT...although the founder of SOLT is supporting and advising him with the retired bishop of Corpus Christi. 

There is much more to this than meets the eye, but it does highlight what has been happening to priests all over the country for many many generations but the worst of it has been inflicted on priests and pastors since the promulgation of the latest Code of Canons for the western Churches, predominantly the Roman rite. 

However eastern bishops behave in much the same way even though their code is not quite the precise equivalent in all specifics, of the western code.  There is even more wiggle room for them to abuse authority, and sadly they will take it at the slightest provocation. 

Episcopal behavior really does need to be brought to light and brought under legitimate restraint.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 06:41:21 PM by elijahmaria » Logged

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2011, 08:50:34 PM »

SOLT stands for "The Society of Our Lady of the Most Holy Trinity"...that is the name of the association.  It is a canonical entity that, unlike an order that answers to a Superior, or a house that answers to an Abbott, the society answers to the bishop in the diocese where the society was raised to canonical status.  That is why Father Corapi's obedience is to the local bishop and not the founder of SOLT...although the founder of SOLT is supporting and advising him with the retired bishop of Corpus Christi. 

There is much more to this than meets the eye, but it does highlight what has been happening to priests all over the country for many many generations but the worst of it has been inflicted on priests and pastors since the promulgation of the latest Code of Canons for the western Churches, predominantly the Roman rite. 

However eastern bishops behave in much the same way even though their code is not quite the precise equivalent in all specifics, of the western code.  There is even more wiggle room for them to abuse authority, and sadly they will take it at the slightest provocation. 

Episcopal behavior really does need to be brought to light and brought under legitimate restraint.

Bolding is my emphasis.

And who will be the final authority?  Even synods of bishops have been known to err ... remember the Arian Heresy.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on us sinner.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2011, 08:54:58 PM »

Bolding is my emphasis.

And who will be the final authority?  Even synods of bishops have been known to err ... remember the Arian Heresy.

Were those local synods condemned elsewhere?

I'm going to need this.
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2011, 09:32:11 PM »

That is an easy question for Roman Catholics.
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2011, 09:33:58 PM »

Bolding is my emphasis.

However difficult it may be, the bishop is the final authority.  The trick is to inspire bishops to do the right thing.  Sometimes that will not happen and priests are either stuck...or they have the resources to do something else, and do something else.  Father Corapi is doing something else besides fade.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 09:36:30 PM by elijahmaria » Logged

Apotheoun
"Three realities pertain to God: essence, energy, and the triad of divine hypostaseis." St. Gregory Palamas
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Melkite Catholic

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2011, 06:27:36 PM »

I see Fr. Corapi as innocent until proven guilty.

"All that the Father has belongs likewise to the Son, except Causality."
St. Gregory Nazianzen

"We should believe that divine grace is present in the icon of Christ and that it communicates sanctification to those who draw near with faith."
St. Theodore Studite
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2011, 10:55:13 PM »

I think so, too.

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2011, 12:03:31 AM »

But if a man gets up and says he has been taking cocaine, and what not, then what?
Marc1152
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2011, 09:56:49 AM »

But if a man gets up and says he has been taking cocaine, and what not, then what?

Then it would be totally forgivable. How many Priests have there been in............ oh lets say BOSTON who drank too much?
Several I bet. Neither is a good thing but addiction is something treatable and something we can pray for mercy about without much effort.

The other accusations are more serious.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2011, 05:09:14 PM »

Then it would be totally forgivable. How many Priests have there been in............ oh lets say BOSTON who drank too much?
Several I bet. Neither is a good thing but addiction is something treatable and something we can pray for mercy about without much effort.

One involves criminal activity prohibited by law, the other does not.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2011, 05:22:10 PM »

One involves substance abuse and addiction with is a treatable and a common occurrence. The other accusation is sexual in nature and has to do with violation of his vows and moral turpitude.

First of all, he has been proven guilty of nothing. But if he had regressed to a substance addiction begun in his former life that is not nearly as bad and having a girlfriend or two which would be a willful and flagrant act of hypocrisy.  
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 05:32:10 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

Hamartolos
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2011, 05:36:22 PM »

One involves substance abuse and addiction with is a treatable and common occurrence. The other accusation is sexual in nature and has to do with violation of his vows and moral turpitude.

First of all, he has been proven guilty of nothing. But if he had regressed to a substance addiction begun in his former life that is not nearly as bad and having a girlfriend or two which would be a willful and flagrant act of hypocrisy.  

Amen.  I think you summed it up best.  

I hope he's innocent, but to say falling into a former addiction is equally bad or worse than breaking his vows with one or more women in sexual liaisons is absurd.  The majority of people know someone who had/has a vice to something like this whether it be alcohol or drugs.  It's less a moral failing and more a psychological condition; and by far treatable.  Falling into lust is a moral condition and is not a psychological illness.

I will say that his erratic behavior (from what I perceive to be erratic) would certainly be explained if in fact he has fallen back into addiction.  Fact is, we don't know the story or what happened.  If Fr. Corapi has erred in the way he is accused we should pray that he admits to it in humility and begin to heal; if he hasn't we should pray he is vindicated.  
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 05:38:00 PM by Hamartolos » Logged

Formerly known as "mctavix"
stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2011, 02:16:10 AM »

First of all, he has been proven guilty of nothing.
He has a youtube video in which he says he used cocaine and other things. What more proof is needed if a man makes a video for public viewing and says that he is guilty?
stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2011, 03:19:43 AM »

One involves substance abuse and addiction with is a treatable and a common occurrence.
Possession of cocaine is a criminal offense in California according to Health and Safety codes §11000, et seq. §11350, et seq.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2011, 11:01:35 AM »

First of all, he has been proven guilty of nothing.
He has a youtube video in which he says he used cocaine and other things. What more proof is needed if a man makes a video for public viewing and says that he is guilty?

I think you have your time-line confused. We all know he abused coke before he came into the Church and became a Priest. The issue is if he started up again recently.

Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2011, 01:12:36 PM »

Father John Corapi has submitted his resignation from the Society of Our Lady of the Most Holy Trinity (SOLT), the Register has learned.

Father Gerard Sheehan, regional priest servant of SOLT, said in a press release dated July 5 that the popular priest and speaker has inspired countless thousands of Catholics, “many of whom continue to express their support of him.”

However, Father Sheehan added, “SOLT also recognizes that Father Corapi is now misleading these individuals through his false statements and characterizations. It is for these Catholics that SOLT, by means of this announcement, seeks to set the record straight.”

[The rest of the story.]

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
JR
Elder

Faith: No idea
Jurisdiction: Athens

« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2011, 01:43:59 PM »

I just read it, its a real bombshell...... what more can one say!

Father John Corapi has submitted his resignation from the Society of Our Lady of the Most Holy Trinity (SOLT), the Register has learned.

Father Gerard Sheehan, regional priest servant of SOLT, said in a press release dated July 5 that the popular priest and speaker has inspired countless thousands of Catholics, “many of whom continue to express their support of him.”

However, Father Sheehan added, “SOLT also recognizes that Father Corapi is now misleading these individuals through his false statements and characterizations. It is for these Catholics that SOLT, by means of this announcement, seeks to set the record straight.”

[The rest of the story.]

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them".

Mother Teresa
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2011, 02:11:08 PM »

I just read it, its a real bombshell...... what more can one say!

[The rest of the story.]

Since the case is so public, I don't think it is unreasonable to ask that the evidence be produced or re-produced publicly in some way.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2011, 05:06:43 PM »

I just heard Jim Akin on EWTN speak at length about the statement from SOLT.

I think it is close to Game, Set and Match at this point.

However, after I thought about for awhile and leaned more about the accuser, there may be more that can be said later.

Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #64 on: July 07, 2011, 09:09:05 PM »

7 July 2011: Corapi responds to the SOLT statement:

"I am going to answer in a simple, straight forward way what seem to me the main elements of the action taken against me by the Diocese of Corpus Christi and the Society of Our Lady of the Most Holy Trinity.
Regarding my personal financial situation—From the earliest days (more than twenty years ago) the Founder of the Society of Our Lady, Fr. James Flanagan, encouraged me to support myself and the Church as well. He said they could not afford to support my ministry and me personally because of the unique nature of the mission. At every step of the way, through the entire past twenty years, the Society of Our Lady’s leadership knew of my financial independence.  As Fr. Flanagan encouraged, I have supported SOLT and myself from ‘day-one.‘  I have never relied on the Society for shelter, clothing, transportation, medical care, or legal counsel and instead, using my history of success in business, set up my mission as any savvy business man would, meanwhile continuing to support the Society and many other Catholic Charities.
Regarding my resignation—I resigned because the process used by the Church is grossly unjust, and, hence, immoral. I resigned because I had no chance from the beginning of a fair and just hearing.  As I have indicated from the beginning of all this, I am not extinguished!  If I were to commit to the suggestion of the Society, then I would essentially crawl under a rock and wait to die.  However, I can not deny this desire to share aspects of Truth and Hope with all those willing to hear.  This is what I shall continue to fight for!  Many are not going to appreciate this decision, and I respect that.  For those who can accept it, onward!"

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #65 on: July 07, 2011, 09:57:47 PM »

"I am going to answer in a simple, straight forward way what seem to me the main elements of the action taken against me by the Diocese of Corpus Christi and the Society of Our Lady of the Most Holy Trinity.
Regarding my personal financial situation—From the earliest days (more than twenty years ago) the Founder of the Society of Our Lady, Fr. James Flanagan, encouraged me to support myself and the Church as well. He said they could not afford to support my ministry and me personally because of the unique nature of the mission. At every step of the way, through the entire past twenty years, the Society of Our Lady’s leadership knew of my financial independence.  As Fr. Flanagan encouraged, I have supported SOLT and myself from ‘day-one.‘  I have never relied on the Society for shelter, clothing, transportation, medical care, or legal counsel and instead, using my history of success in business, set up my mission as any savvy business man would, meanwhile continuing to support the Society and many other Catholic Charities.
Regarding my resignation—I resigned because the process used by the Church is grossly unjust, and, hence, immoral. I resigned because I had no chance from the beginning of a fair and just hearing.  As I have indicated from the beginning of all this, I am not extinguished!  If I were to commit to the suggestion of the Society, then I would essentially crawl under a rock and wait to die.  However, I can not deny this desire to share aspects of Truth and Hope with all those willing to hear.  This is what I shall continue to fight for!  Many are not going to appreciate this decision, and I respect that.  For those who can accept it, onward!"

Bolded for emphasis. Does no one else find that troubling?  Huh Aspects of the truth? What the heck does that mean?

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2011, 10:41:12 PM »

Bolded for emphasis. Does no one else find that troubling?  Huh Aspects of the truth? What the heck does that mean?

In Christ,
Andrew

What I find most troubling about the SOLT statement is

1) the fact that Corapi has been a priest with SOLT for more than 20 years.  He has had the full spiritual support of the founder of SOLT to date, and it was the founder of SOLT who encouraged him to keep his ministry going with his own private funds.  He's been a self supporting member of SOLT for 20 years and has contributed to it and other charities.  These things are a matter of public record.   And now all of a sudden he's a disobedient SOB because he won't go back "home" and take his millions with him and turn it ALL over to SOLT...really?...He's not a monastic.  He took no monastic vows.    So where's the beef?  There is not a legitimate one at all.

2) Now he is publicly convicted without any public evidence and without any due process of sexual offenses that are, to say the least, less than clearly defined.  There's no evidence but loads of assurances.   

If they fudge the financial charges...why not the rest?

Where is the evidence?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 10:44:46 PM by elijahmaria » Logged

Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2011, 02:11:16 PM »

1) the fact that Corapi has been a priest with SOLT for more than 20 years.  He has had the full spiritual support of the founder of SOLT to date, and it was the founder of SOLT who encouraged him to keep his ministry going with his own private funds.  He's been a self supporting member of SOLT for 20 years and has contributed to it and other charities.  These things are a matter of public record.   And now all of a sudden he's a disobedient SOB because he won't go back "home" and take his millions with him and turn it ALL over to SOLT...really?...He's not a monastic.  He took no monastic vows.    So where's the beef?  There is not a legitimate one at all.

Unfortunately this is often the way things work in hierarchical institutions (Not just the RCC).  I person can be on top of the world and then, through either a scandal or some wrongdoing they are immediately either outrightly condemned or erased from memory.  It is eerily like Stalinism (Which was itself modeled after already existing hierarchical groups and their centuries old tactics).  Its always been like this and, however unjust it may seem things will probably still be working this way many, many years from now. 

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2011, 03:10:24 PM »

New video by Corapi. Very, very interesting, to say the least. Shocked

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2011, 03:52:11 PM »

Is that real leather?

Okay..."Don't be mad and don't be sad"

Fine advice.

He sure does have a good set of pipes (voice).
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 03:52:43 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2011, 03:55:35 PM »

Is that real leather?

Well chewed Harley Leathers... Smiley

He's unique.  I've always thought of him as a male Ertha Kit.

I hope he does not live up to the comparison in its potential entirety.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2011, 04:08:53 PM »

Is that real leather?

LOL! Actually, I think by his attire and grooming you may be disappointed by your last sentence . . .

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2011, 04:16:39 PM »

Is that real leather?

LOL! Actually, I think by his attire and grooming you may be disappointed by your last sentence . . .

The longer it goes the more I fear you may be right.

It angers me...Lord have mercy...that he would play games with all this IF in fact his behavior has been sinful indeed.

There are many priests out in the world who have been badly treated by their bishops and they looked to him to light a path for change, for them and for others who might come after. 

I no longer see that happening and with each passing E-event, I see the possibility fading into ever thinner transparency....

He has essentially said in this video that he's going no further with any of this after a week or so leaving us in the dark: forever.  That is not my idea of a beacon.  He will shatter many hearts and minds in this...already has, it appears. 

Well...no point in wasting time on it.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 04:20:48 PM by elijahmaria » Logged

sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

« Reply #73 on: July 10, 2011, 11:42:40 AM »

Watching that video is positively frightening. Where's the gentle, loving, gray-beared priest we loved? Some commenters at YouTube have noted--and rightly so--that he now looks almost exactly like Anton LaVey. Satan has a cruel sense of humor.

I have long admired Fr. Corapi, and believe that he is not a fraud. When he was a priest, he truly was a sincere, godly man. Not perfect, but good. His was an inspirational story, larger than life.

He has now been entirely overwhelmed by sin. Not casual, gradual sin, but sin that can only be the result of a direct and concerted attack. Perhaps Father grew too powerful and Satan singled him out for special torment. In that, Father Corapi is a good example to us all of exactly how powerful Satan's grip on us is. Thank God for protecting us each day; we are truly blessed. We must pray that God will give Father Corapi the strength break Satan's bonds and come back to the church. Father Corapi must overcome this episode of demonic possession or he is definitely going to Hell. Lord, have mercy on him.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 11:50:01 AM by sainthieu » Logged
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #74 on: July 10, 2011, 11:49:56 AM »

Watching that video is positively frightening. Where's the gentle, loving, gray-beared priest we loved? Some commenters at YouTube have noted--and rightly so--that he now looks almost exactly like Anton LaVey. Satan has a cruel sense of humor.

I have long admired Fr. Corapi, and believe that he is not a fraud. When he was a priest, he truly was a sincere, godly man. Not perfect, but good. His was an inspirational story, larger than life.

He has now been entirely overwhelmed by sin. Not casual, gradual sin, but sin that can only be the result of a direct and concerted attack. Perhaps Father grew too powerful and Satan singled him out for special torment. In that, Father Corapi is a good example to us all of exactly how powerful Satan's grip on us is. Thank God for protecting us each day; we are truly blessed. We must pray that God will give Father Corapi the strength break Satan's bonds and come back to the church. Father Corapi must overcome this episode of demonic possession or he will go to Hell. Lord, have mercy on him.

demonic possession?

You must be a powerful saint in order to be able to read hearts and discern spirits.

sainthieu
High Elder

« Reply #75 on: July 10, 2011, 11:50:32 AM »

I am far from a saint, thanks. You're suffering from the logical fallacy that only a saint can discern possession. If someone is truly possessed, I submit that, in many cases, anyone can see it. Think of the Gadarene demoniac; his neighbors had chained him many times. They did it for a reason.

Look at Corapi---look at him. It's like a cruel joke.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 11:57:14 AM by sainthieu » Logged
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #76 on: July 10, 2011, 11:56:54 AM »

I am far from a saint, thanks.

Look at him. Look at him. It's like a cruel joke.

I'll tell you what is an even more insidious joke:  A "saintly" bishop taking a priest and putting him on leave for years and NEVER charging him with any crime and never allowing due process...never allowing him to confront his accuser and never giving him any justice at all.

I wonder if the people in my Church and outside can even begin to discern evil when it stares them in the face.

But a dye-job...oh yes...MUST be demonic!!

JR
Elder

« Reply #77 on: July 10, 2011, 12:44:44 PM »

I used to have great respect for this man when he was a priest, he used motivate me in my faith when I felt down.

But watching that video, looking at him now.

He is not the same person, he is someone that is lost, he has lost his way.

and to be honest, he looks like a thug, not like someone that has just left the priesthood.

does he look like the type of person could talk to as a spiritual father now? or as someone out to course trouble?

Mother Teresa
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #78 on: July 10, 2011, 12:47:15 PM »

I used to have great respect for this man when he was a priest, he used motivate me in my faith when I felt down.

and to be honest, he looks like a thug, not like someone that has just left the priesthood.

does he look like the type of person could talk to as a spiritual father now? or as someone out to course trouble?

Interesting.  He's from a poor Italian background.  I grew up in Philadelphia where every third male looked like that.  He looks pretty culturally congruent to me.

Do you have a problem with Italians?

JR
Elder

« Reply #79 on: July 10, 2011, 12:54:44 PM »

Interesting.  He's from a poor Italian background.  I grew up in Philadelphia where every third male looked like that.  He looks pretty culturally congruent to me.

1. does he look like someone that has just left the roman catholic priesthood?
2. why are you trying to bring racism into this?

Mother Teresa
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #80 on: July 10, 2011, 02:07:40 PM »

Last time I checked Italians were classified as Caucasian.  Are you afraid to answer my question?

I've been to deanery meetings where priests, in leathers, arrived on motorcycles...more than one.

Is there some code to the holy and the demonic that they don't know about that you and others here are in charge of?

Again is a dye-job indicative of the demonic?

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #81 on: July 10, 2011, 04:41:57 PM »

I'm just happy he is alive so I can still hear what he has to say once in awhile

JR
Elder

« Reply #82 on: July 11, 2011, 05:10:14 AM »

Last time I checked Italians were classified as Caucasian.  Are you afraid to answer my question?

I've been to deanery meetings where priests, in leathers, arrived on motorcycles...more than one.

Is there some code to the holy and the demonic that they don't know about that you and others here are in charge of?

Again is a dye-job indicative of the demonic?

you are missing the point entirely,

Roman Catholic priests are generally clean shaven, and I have never seen a priest who looks like that.

as you say Italians are Caucasian, but they are also European same as me, and I like the Italians, I like there language, Culture, and guess what? there country is next to where I am.

And last time I looked, John Corapi was born in New York.

so what is your problem? why are you trying to bring racism into a conversation about a ex priest? I asked you 2 questions, why don't you answer them?

Mother Teresa
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #83 on: July 11, 2011, 09:15:23 AM »

If it doesn't work out for him as a priest or black sheepdog, he could always be the movie trailer voice-over guy. I think we can all agree on that.

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
sainthieu
High Elder

« Reply #84 on: July 11, 2011, 09:24:43 AM »

elijahmaria:

In your zeal to defend Father Corapi. you are neglecting a couple of things. For example, most of us like him too. I like him a lot myself; I used to listen to him at every opportunity I had. I like the man. But. But he is not acting in any way that conforms to what I would imagine a Catholic priest to act like under the circumstances---even if his order was giving him a hard time. Take it as a given that the Church will botch some elements of any investigation. That still doesn't explain his bizarre behavior. Most of the priests I know would not be trying to recapture their youth and acting like some Hell's Angel renegade. The man needs our prayers.

It is not merely a matter of his beard; it's his whole persona and attitude. You don't have to agree with other peoples' assessments; you just have to accept them, they're not going away. We'll agree to respectfully disagree. By the time you're arguing about anti-Italian racism, your argument really is out of bullets. Time will eventually reveal the truth. But keep Corapi in your prayers.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 09:26:56 AM by sainthieu » Logged
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #85 on: July 11, 2011, 09:30:13 AM »

It is not merely a matter of his beard; it's his whole persona and attitude.
And these led you to diagnose him as demoniacally possessed and hell-bound?:

Father Corapi must overcome this episode of demonic possession or he is definitely going to Hell. Lord, have mercy on him.

My diagnosis would be mid-life crisis.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 09:32:26 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #86 on: July 11, 2011, 10:29:10 AM »

It is not merely a matter of his beard; it's his whole persona and attitude.
And these led you to diagnose him as demoniacally possessed and hell-bound?:

Father Corapi must overcome this episode of demonic possession or he is definitely going to Hell. Lord, have mercy on him.

He's a man in desperate need of a Girlfriend... "Dear, maybe you shouldn't wear that leather jacket when you make a video"..... etc.

sainthieu
High Elder

« Reply #87 on: July 11, 2011, 10:33:59 AM »

I agree that there could be something in what you say, but, ostensibly, he was over that when he became a priest, right? How many priests do you know running around in a Harley jacket other than Corapi? Zero? None? Priests are just as open to midlife crises as anyone else, but I suspect they handle it in a different way---in fact, they're supposed to. Perhaps demon-possessed is a little over the top; I'm just suggesting that Satan is giving him a particularly hard time, because, you see, I do regard Father Corapi as a godly man. I don't doubt that. He has a very strong personality; everything is in Technicolor.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 10:34:55 AM by sainthieu » Logged
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #88 on: July 11, 2011, 10:50:07 AM »

elijahmaria:

In your zeal to defend Father Corapi. you are neglecting a couple of things. For example, most of us like him too. I like him a lot myself; I used to listen to him at every opportunity I had. I like the man. But. But he is not acting in any way that conforms to what I would imagine a Catholic priest to act like under the circumstances---even if his order was giving him a hard time. Take it as a given that the Church will botch some elements of any investigation. That still doesn't explain his bizarre behavior. Most of the priests I know would not be trying to recapture their youth and acting like some Hell's Angel renegade. The man needs our prayers.

It is not merely a matter of his beard; it's his whole persona and attitude. You don't have to agree with other peoples' assessments; you just have to accept them, they're not going away. We'll agree to respectfully disagree. By the time you're arguing about anti-Italian racism, your argument really is out of bullets. Time will eventually reveal the truth. But keep Corapi in your prayers.

This has nothing to do with my opinions about the situation with John Corapi.  But..hey!!...If it trips your trigger I don't mind.

He's been deposed from his priestly ministry by his bishop.

So why can't he dye his beard and wear leathers if he chooses?

He can NO LONGER appear publicly as a priest.

Doh....

Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #89 on: July 11, 2011, 11:03:36 AM »

It looks like he's lost a bit of weight, too.

That's a really nice jacket, too, and if you think that makes him look like a "thug," you have no idea what real thugs look like, even if your idea of one is Marlon Brando in the Wild Ones.  He looks like any middle-aged, middle class Harley Davidson enthusiast, most of whom are the furthest thing from thugs.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: