OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 17, 2014, 07:54:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Update on Father Corapi  (Read 10048 times) Average Rating: 0
Marc1152
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« on: June 15, 2011, 07:44:31 PM »

The was on his Face Book page today:

Recently, Fr. Corapi held an internal office meeting and informed us that he is "not extinguished!" He expressed his continued desire to help deliver a message of hope to those who seek it and he informed us that by this weekend he will have a "very inportant announcement" that he plans on delivering on YouTube, Facebook, and through email.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 08:31:57 PM »

The Spirit is descended!
The was on his Face Book page today:

Recently, Fr. Corapi held an internal office meeting and informed us that he is "not extinguished!" He expressed his continued desire to help deliver a message of hope to those who seek it and he informed us that by this weekend he will have a "very inportant announcement" that he plans on delivering on YouTube, Facebook, and through email.
Thanks for the update!

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 04:43:11 PM »

"...All things change, only God stays the same, so I have to tell you about a major change in my life. I am not going to be involved in public ministry as a priest any longer. There are certain persons in authority in the Church that want me gone, and I shall be gone. I have been guilty of many things in the course of my life, and could easily and justifiably be considered unfit to engage in public ministry as a priest. The present complaint that you have heard about is, as far as I know, from the one person that I can honestly say I did more to help and support than any human being in my entire life. I forgive her and hope only good things for her. I am not going to get into a back and forth or argument with the Church or anyone else about this matter...."

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 05:36:09 PM »

"...All things change, only God stays the same, so I have to tell you about a major change in my life. I am not going to be involved in public ministry as a priest any longer. There are certain persons in authority in the Church that want me gone, and I shall be gone. I have been guilty of many things in the course of my life, and could easily and justifiably be considered unfit to engage in public ministry as a priest. The present complaint that you have heard about is, as far as I know, from the one person that I can honestly say I did more to help and support than any human being in my entire life. I forgive her and hope only good things for her. I am not going to get into a back and forth or argument with the Church or anyone else about this matter...."
Does his explanation seem a bit long-winded?
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 05:56:44 PM »

The whole thing is bizarre, and I don't know what to think of it. He has my prayers, and I hope he finds some place to exercise his priesthood in some way. I enjoy his preaching, and I hope those videos remain available. To think that our "rock star" priests are perfect is to be a clericalist. I pray he and his soul find peace.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 05:57:02 PM by lubeltri » Logged
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 05:57:43 PM »

The Spirit is descended!
Does his explanation seem a bit long-winded?
Given the situation, and if it is truthful, no.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 08:33:11 PM »

Weird....Fishy............disappointing

Here is his entire statement on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TfhGjfHWBM
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 08:40:39 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 09:28:59 PM »

Maybe we will never know everything. I pray he finds direction in his new life.  Undecided

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 08:59:05 PM »

I'll continue to pray for Fr Corapi and his eventual vindication.  He was a good and trusted priest who deserves as much justice as he can get in this terrible situation.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 09:00:58 PM by Robb » Logged

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 09:02:47 PM »

I really wouldn't expect any explanation from this man. 
1) I don't know him
2) it is none of my business
Didn't Jesus say not to judge?  I gather that would include talking or wondering what Father Corapi did/didn't do/will have been doing.  I mean all we can do is pray for the man that he finds peace.

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 12:46:09 AM »

Please see the article linked below and written by a retired Roman Catholic Bishop.

I think this article shed some light on the subject.

Father Corapi appears to be doing the right thing in view of the fact that Roman Catholic Bishops must indefinitely suspend all priests accused (not convicted) of sexual abuse.

Let us pray for this priest. Perhaps if he does sue the woman who is accusing him (probably his ex-employee whom he terminated), then this situation can be resolved. See the following well written article:

http://abyssum.wordpress.com/2011/06/18/a-few-thoughts-on-father-corapis-announcement-yesterday/
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 12:47:39 AM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 02:08:39 AM »

Thanks for the link. I would also suggest looking at this one, which hints at what Corapi may be going through.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 08:33:28 PM »

Thanks for the link. I would also suggest looking at this one, which hints at what Corapi may be going through.

Yes, I saw that piece.

Interesting.

It looks like Corapi is not going to take this without a fight.
And the only way to fight this possible bogus charge is to remove the title of Father from his name.
Otherwise, he could remain indefinitely suspended for many years.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 08:35:12 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 08:52:19 PM »

Breaking News

NEW UPDATE - unleashed

http://theblacksheepdog.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/unleashed_ep106-20-11.mp3

Upshot - yes, a lawsuit has been filed against the woman for libel and breach of contract

And yes, a bishop of the Catholic Church advised him to resign from the active priestly ministry and to sue that woman, but the suspension caused the same effect, and he was effectively silenced.

So, by resigning from the active ministry, Corapi is able to delve into broader topics and engage an international audience. Win-Win
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 08:53:34 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2011, 09:15:46 PM »

More Breaking News:

June 19, 2011 news from a Retired Roman Catholic Bishop:

http://abyssum.wordpress.com/2011/06/18/a-few-thoughts-on-father-corapis-announcement-yesterday/

June 20, 2011: SOLT NEWS regarding Corapi:

http://soltnews.blogspot.com/2011/06/official-solt-statement-on-behalf-of-fr.html

Bad press blogs against Corapi

(1) This video might go viral among Catholics; http://www.creativeminorityreport.com/2011/06/major-announcement-we-are-gods.html

(2) Aggie Catholic blog: http://marysaggies.blogspot.com/2011/06/i-will-not-defend-fr-corapi-i-will.html

(3) The Anchoress/Elizabeth Scalia: http://www.patheos.com/community/theanchoress/2011/06/20/ewtns-statement-on-corapi/

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2011, 03:14:06 AM »

Breaking News

NEW UPDATE - unleashed

http://theblacksheepdog.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/unleashed_ep106-20-11.mp3

Upshot - yes, a lawsuit has been filed against the woman for libel and breach of contract

And yes, a bishop of the Catholic Church advised him to resign from the active priestly ministry and to sue that woman, but the suspension caused the same effect, and he was effectively silenced.

So, by resigning from the active ministry, Corapi is able to delve into broader topics and engage an international audience. Win-Win
he says here on the link you have provided that he is not using cocaine and is willing to take a drug test. But the wikipedia article has some unflattering things to say about his cocaine addiction http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Corapi
and he talked about his use of cocaine on a previous video (about 8 min from 0):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iZ2IPdn9D4

And he says that he was in a psychiatric hosptial for one year.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM7NCvtkwq0&feature=related
Does this seem like a man with problems?
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2011, 07:06:35 AM »

It seems like a man who HAD problems, before he found God.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2011, 07:39:34 AM »

Some are pointing to John "Don't-Call-Me-Father" Corapi's new website, TheBlackSheepDog, as somehow being demonic-looking, because of the images.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 07:42:11 AM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2011, 10:21:06 AM »

Some are pointing to John "Don't-Call-Me-Father" Corapi's new website, TheBlackSheepDog, as somehow being demonic-looking, because of the images.

That occurred to me too. The pix are creepy. What could he be thinking?

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2011, 10:22:14 AM »

It IS creepy, and I don't say that very lightly.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2011, 10:27:18 AM »

It IS creepy, and I don't say that very lightly.

Love Fr. Corapi but he may be the kind of guy who needs a wife ( much like me).

"Dear, do you really want to post that picture, it's kind of creepy"

Or

"Dear, I dont think you look good with your hair shaved all the way down. I think you were much more handsome before"

Or

"Come on over here ya big lug and let's have a hug"

Like that   Smiley

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2011, 12:32:42 PM »

I had a similar response to the images that he put up. Perhaps some one in his organziation will point out the "creepiness".

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
danman916

Faith: Roman Catholic

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2011, 04:14:02 PM »

Well, that's what Corapi is saying. The other story floating around is that this woman is being suit for breach of a non-disclosure agreement, not libel.
Honestly, why would an employee of Santa Cruz media have a blanket non-disclosure agreement? There are times when certain information about business matters can not be disclosed, but this; a serious indiscretion that is a sin against his priestly vows?

So, far only Corapi is making that statement. The official statement made by Corapi's religious order seems to have a bit of a different take.
http://soltnews.blogspot.com/2011/06/official-solt-statement-on-behalf-of-fr.html

I think it is speaking volumes that Corapi made a statement today that he has 2 hours of phone voice mails from this woman and is considering releasing them so that the public can make a determination of her "credibility.
He made this statement on his June 21 blog entry on his new site:
http://theblacksheepdog.us/

My question is: supposedly the initial report said that the accuser remains anonymous, but Corapi seems to know who she is.

There is a lot in Corapi's story that isn't adding up.

He's lost all credibility, in my view.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 04:15:15 PM by danman916 » Logged
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2011, 04:48:27 PM »

Well, that's what Corapi is saying. The other story floating around is that this woman is being suit for breach of a non-disclosure agreement, not libel.
Honestly, why would an employee of Santa Cruz media have a blanket non-disclosure agreement? There are times when certain information about business matters can not be disclosed, but this; a serious indiscretion that is a sin against his priestly vows?

So, far only Corapi is making that statement. The official statement made by Corapi's religious order seems to have a bit of a different take.

I think it is speaking volumes that Corapi made a statement today that he has 2 hours of phone voice mails from this woman and is considering releasing them so that the public can make a determination of her "credibility.

My question is: supposedly the initial report said that the accuser remains anonymous, but Corapi seems to know who she is.

Go back to his blog.  The Founder of his religious order and a retired bishop are counseling him to carry forward as he is doing since the diocese is doing nothing at all.

Also he has not said that he does not know who his accuser is.  He does not know FROM the diocesan bishop who removed his faculties.

There are several canonical issues with SOLT that make it impossible for Father Corapi to appeal above the diocesan level for redress.  He can sit and wait till hell freezes over or he can accept the suspension, on his own terms and deal with his accuser in civil court, where he can at least get some kind of hearing.

Whether any other bishop in the United States has the courage to restore faculties to Father John is yet to be seen. 

In any event, there are a whole boatload of knee-jerks out there writing about things they know nothing about and presuming to beat the band.

M.

Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2011, 06:23:19 PM »

It's much too soon for staking such a position, imho.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2011, 06:30:57 PM »

It's much too soon for staking such a position, imho.
Agreed. Before one can draw such conclusion, I think one needs to know much more about what really happened, and what is currently happening behind the scenes. I think the fact that we rarely are privy to such information, whether the situation be in the spotlight or not, is one of the main reasons that Jesus warned us against judging.

danman916

Faith: Roman Catholic

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2011, 07:02:43 PM »

Smearing one's accuser by threatening to release private voice mails is not my idea of a priest who is walking the via dolorosa.
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2011, 07:22:23 PM »

Smearing one's accuser by threatening to release private voice mails is not my idea of a priest who is walking the via dolorosa.
That has many people confused and saddened in the combox on his site. I did not think that the logo picture thing was too out of the ordinary for Corapi's personality and don't find it to be problematic beyond egotism (he's the sheepdog protecting Christianity). The threat and "fanbase" quip does tend to bring his credibility into question.

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2011, 03:54:20 AM »

Is the accuser anonymous or not?
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2011, 10:11:50 AM »

Is the accuser anonymous or not?

Her name has not been released to the public as far as I know but Father C. and the Bishops know who she is.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2011, 10:21:13 AM »

My wife and kids used to moan and groan when I would watch Father Corapi on Sunday nights ( and later on Sat. too).

But as my wife got sicker she became increasingly psychotic and started to watch with me. I guess it's kind of Funny/Sick that the more psychotic she became the more he made sense to her. However, he was her only shot at planting some bit of faith in her heart.

On the other hand, she may well have had a demon around her. Father Corapi would be a good choice to scare such a thing off. That may be why she was attracted late on.

So...he did good by us.

xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2011, 04:45:16 PM »

Update:  John Corapi has resigned as a priest.

Quote from: John Corapi
I am not going to be involved in public ministry as a priest any longer... the process used is inherently and fatally flawed... my canon lawyer and my civil lawyers have concluded that I cannot receive a fair and just hearing under the church's present process... the identity of the accuser is not revealed... nor or the exact allegations made known to you... you are for all practical purposes assumed guilty unless you can prove you are innocent...
http://youtu.be/9TfhGjfHWBM

Silly Stars
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2011, 09:10:15 PM »

Here is the statement Fr. Corapi released yesterday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgziudFe_VM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBksHaTQCbU&feature=related
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 09:18:27 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2011, 09:15:53 PM »

This may be a matter of my own particular perception, but Fr. Corapi sounds like a completely different person. Does anyone else get this sense as well?

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2011, 09:19:28 PM »

This may be a matter of my own particular perception, but Fr. Corapi sounds like a completely different person. Does anyone else get this sense as well?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TAixFYnDh4&feature=related
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 09:20:13 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2011, 10:10:02 PM »

Wrong link.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2011, 12:33:51 AM »

It sounds to me as if he's doing a bad impersonation of himself.  Granted, I haven't heard much of his recent stuff. 

I found his response and statement somewhat odd.  I hope the situation turns out okay (bland enough?).   

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2011, 02:51:02 AM »

Going through bad experiences can change people.  He may be unnerved due to all these events and lacks the self confident tone that he once had.

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2011, 09:06:47 AM »

Going through bad experiences can change people.  He may be unnerved due to all these events and lacks the self confident tone that he once had.

Father Corapi exhorts when he teaches and preaches.  He calls people to confidence in the faith.  That persona is not going to be there when he is not in "teacher" mode.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2011, 09:17:21 AM »

Yes, when I read his new site.  Undecided Lord help him.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2011, 09:35:00 AM »

Yes, when I read his new site.  Undecided Lord help him.

Do you have any idea how many good priests just disappear in this Church?  Father Corapi is doing precisely the correct thing, not only for himself but for many other very good priests in the Roman rite in this country, the USA.  He's doing what an emeritus bishop and the founder of his religious association are advising him to do.

Don't pay attention to those Catholics posting on that blog.  Most of them haven't a clue about the power of their bishops.  Nor do they understand the way religious life is organized.

IXOYE
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2011, 10:40:04 AM »

Elijahmaria said:

"Most of them haven't a clue about the power of their bishops.  Nor do they understand the way religious life is organized."

Can you clarify this?  Especially the part about the power of their bishops.
Hamartolos
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2011, 10:44:42 AM »

I hope the accusations against Fr. Corapi are unfounded and if they are it raises an important issue.  Victims have a right to speak out against abuse but the accused should also have protection as well.  Look what's happened recently; many Catholic priests accused earlier in this decade have been found innocent.  This has happened because the accusers themselves have come out and said it did not happen.  Mostly because all of these "repressed memories" is a controversial issue that the American Psychiatric Association was calling into question years ago.  Our courts let it in like it was forensic evidence!

There needs to be protection for all people so that when false accusations are made (this may or may not be the case here), both sides are protected so the truth can be known.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 10:45:33 AM by Hamartolos » Logged

Formerly known as "mctavix"
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2011, 11:02:01 AM »

Elijahmaria said:

"Most of them haven't a clue about the power of their bishops.  Nor do they understand the way religious life is organized."

Can you clarify this?  Especially the part about the power of their bishops.

A bishop has the canonical power to place himself above the law.  In other words, a priest may be placed on leave by a bishop and allowed to remain in that no-man's land indefinitely.  In fact it does happen for all manner of cases where a bishop wants to get rid of an annoying priest, but has no real canonical charge that would get rid of him definitively.   Yes.  There is a right to due process and indefinite suspension should be used rarely and only after all due process has been exhausted and there is still no resolution to the case.  However that is not how bishops generally exercise this power to simply withdraw faculties.  It is extremely rare, so as to be non-existent, where another synodal bishop contradicts the acts of a brother bishop, so there is no recourse for most priests who have been wrongly removed.

Also the zero tolerance policy established for the sexual abuse of children and youth does not apply to accusations by adult men or women, however, that is the policy that has been exercised against Father Corapi.

There's loads more to it and if you had the patience to read through ALL of those awful emails on the Corapi site you'd find some excellent essays on the canonical situation with the bishop and his religious organization.  It's not really an order with a superior, but an association which answers to a local bishop.

In fact SOLT has been looking for a more friendly location since it is well known in the diocese of Corpus Christi that the current bishop is not at all fond of the group and has caused them troubles in the past.  Father Corapi just happens to present yet another excuse to move against the association.  Also most people do not realize that Father Corapi lived out the erimetic life in SOLT and you cannot treat his vocation in SOLT as you would a monk whose vocation is to a place and specific community as with the Benedictines, for example.

So much of the ranting and raving on that site is just plain ignorance and prelest on the part of those who judge in abject ignorance, refusing to hear anything that does not fit their own "imaginings".

It's disgusting to me.  I've known too many good priests who have been shoved off to no man's land, I suppose.  It is horrifying when you begin to see the realities of it.

I keep telling Orthodox listeners that it is not the pope one should fear but the power of the bishop, which is, too often, exercised above or outside of the spirit of the law and also the most precise letter of the law though they do have that power...to do what they see fit.   It's like an "escape clause" and they exercise it first rather than last.

When they do not care to follow what Rome has to say they simply close their ears and eyes.  That's how it works in real life.  Eventually justice will catch up...but too often there are many bodies dead on the field before the war is over.

Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2011, 05:11:30 PM »

I didn't see it above, what is "SOLT?"  Society of (something)?

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: