OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 10:39:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dehydration/starvation of cancer patients, infants, and others in the U.K.  (Read 425 times) Average Rating: 0
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

יהוה עזי ומגני

« on: November 30, 2012, 11:49:27 PM »

Quote from: Life Site News
"When it was introduced in the late 1990s, politicians and patients’ rights groups were told that the Liverpool Care Pathway for the Dying Patient, was intended to relieve suffering in the last hours – days at most – of terminal illness. It allows the refusal or withdrawal of food and hydration as well as the suspension of anything but comfort care and the administering of sedatives that can hasten death. In cases where a patient is so close to death that his organs are failing, fluids cannot be processed and ethicists agree that sedatives to ease pain and distress are warranted.

Since then, however, the LCP has come under increasing criticism as stories continue to emerge of the protocol being used to dehydrate and starve to death vulnerable patients who would otherwise recover and live if given proper care and treatment. In most cases that come to light, families and patients are not told by hospital staff that the LCP has been initiated."

Further here: http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/doctor-admits-starving-or-dehyrdrating-10-babies-in-uk-neonatal-unit-cancer

Silly Stars
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 10:52:52 AM »

Would making a statement about socialized medicine be too political, or would it just be in bad taste?  I know it would be a cheap shot, but those are the sorts I am best at, I am way to poor to be taking expensive shots like Johnny Walker Blue.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 11:03:34 AM »

Are we surprised?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 11:31:57 AM »

The ghoulish Kevorkian legacy.

Antiochian OC N.A.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 11:33:24 AM »

Coming soon to a hospital near you.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 11:37:14 AM »

The problem seems to be abuse, not the principle itself...

"Change is the process of becoming more like who we are."
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 11:41:51 AM »

I am being vague in what I am about to say but it seems much of the same mindset that deals out death on a cost & chance basis is the same mindset that ridiculed the likes of Mother Theresa who prayed over those who were otherwise discarded to die & she herself did not have the facilities to medically accomodate the number of poor suffering souls in her care.

Antiochian OC N.A.
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 04:02:19 PM »

from a different perspective:
http://www.apmonline.org/page.php?pageid=182&newsid=100053
(official story, explains that it is not such a big deal as it seems).

the link from the original post uses information from that famously accurate and scrupulously researched newspaper (sarcasm) the 'daily mail'. most people in britain accept that this is designed for (if not written by) people who are less interested in the truth, and more interested in a fascinating, shocking story.

having distanced myself from the very inaccurate reporting, i can say that a few people in uk do withhold intravenous fluids from dying patients when they should give them, and that the 'liverpool care pathway' is not as good at providing good care at the end of someone's life as it was hoped.
but generally, dying people in uk do get good pain relief and information about their situation, and the families / friends are also kept updated when the patients allow this.
a few years ago, i had the privilege of witnessing one of the last days of my friend's brother with a rare cancer. he had very good care, and plenty of complex drugs to deal with his multiple distressing symptoms. he did not have fluids withheld and he was not dehydrated.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: