OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 06:07:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Custody of the Eyes  (Read 5221 times) Average Rating: 0
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2011, 09:28:19 PM »

I do know though that Fr. Rose certainly did not appreciate RC's very much and even went so far to call us "graceless' and "deceptive".  Why then should I, as a striving to be good RC, listen to anything uttered from his lips and give it credibility in my own life?
Yeah, I know what you mean. But not all Orthodox are that harsh.
Volnutt
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Protestant Universalist

« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2011, 09:54:42 PM »

Volt, no offense but I can obviously tell that you come from a Protestant (Probably fundamentalist) Backround.  You defiantly tend to have a viewpoint that goes like "world bad/ God good/ nothing in between".
I believe the world is good but it has a deadly illness. We should enjoy what we can but know that the virus is everywhere and extremely contagious. Sure we can try to give "therapy" via doing good but we must never think that this is a cure, it's only for temporary "quality of life improvement" (that might result in the salvation of others), and there can always be a relapse.

God will bring the cure someday, so we know that the patient can never be written off as dead, but until then we can never be absolutely confident that contact with the patient won't get us sick. We need to constantly wash our hands, wear breathing masks, etc. In other words, we can't be as free as we would if the patient were healthy, and this is where askesis comes in.

Herr Jesus Christus, Sohns Gottes, erbarme dich meiner, eines Suenders.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2011, 10:02:16 PM »

Custody of the mouth is far more important than custody of the eyes.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2011, 10:13:43 PM »

To expand on that: "Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man: but what cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man." (Matthew 15:11)

(emphasis mine)

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2011, 10:30:10 PM »

Then for a more in-depth study of it "Nihilism:The Root of the Revolution of the Modern Age"

It is my duty to point out this is not an in-depth study of anything except for perhaps the hodge-podge criticisms of era obviously misunderstood by a single man.

I will not refrain from pointing this out.

I'm not sure if I would place much stock in anything written by the ex Buddhist beatnick, turned Orthodox Monk, Eugene Rose.  He did espouse some pretty strange views during his short life on Earth, some of which were condemned by many EO theologians as neo gnostic during the formers lifetime.  Also the monastery he was affiliated with has certainly has had its ups and downs over the years.  I remember reading their literature some time ago which basically trashed all "canonical" Orthodox bodies as not being as "pure" as the mystical monks of Platina and their "guru" followers.  It just seems to me that Fr Rose may have not entirely shed his previous Eastern mysticism when he converted, but just adapted that thinking to an Orthodox ascetic mindset and worked from there to spread his theology. 

Being an RC, it really isn't much of my business to speculate too much about a mystic in another faith tradition.  I do know though that Fr. Rose certainly did not appreciate RC's very much and even went so far to call us "graceless' and "deceptive".  Why then should I, as a striving to be good RC, listen to anything uttered from his lips and give it credibility in my own life?
You mean, Blessed Serpahim? Care to take back the slander against him?

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
joasia

Jurisdiction: RTOC

« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2011, 12:55:22 AM »

I'm right behind you Andrew.  Blessed Fr. Seraphim has been greatly misunderstood by their pre-conceived notions.  He knew more about the Orthodox faith because of his previous experiences.  I've never read anything that sounded like non-Orthodox explanations.  If I did, my warning signal would go off.  But, the RC views are like Defcon 1.

Stillness,  prayer, love and self-control are a four-horsed chariot bearing the intellect to Heaven. (Philokalia 2: p.308 - #24) - St. Thalassios

The proper activity of the intellect is to be attentive at every moment to the words of God.   (Philokalia 2: p. 308 - # 30) - St. Thalassios
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2011, 01:21:16 AM »

Then for a more in-depth study of it "Nihilism:The Root of the Revolution of the Modern Age"

It is my duty to point out this is not an in-depth study of anything except for perhaps the hodge-podge criticisms of era obviously misunderstood by a single man.

I'm not sure if I would place much stock in anything written by the ex Buddhist beatnick, turned Orthodox Monk, Eugene Rose.  He did espouse some pretty strange views during his short life on Earth, some of which were condemned by many EO theologians as neo gnostic during the formers lifetime.  Also the monastery he was affiliated with has certainly has had its ups and downs over the years.  I remember reading their literature some time ago which basically trashed all "canonical" Orthodox bodies as not being as "pure" as the mystical monks of Platina and their "guru" followers.  It just seems to me that Fr Rose may have not entirely shed his previous Eastern mysticism when he converted, but just adapted that thinking to an Orthodox ascetic mindset and worked from there to spread his theology. 

Being an RC, it really isn't much of my business to speculate too much about a mystic in another faith tradition.  I do know though that Fr. Rose certainly did not appreciate RC's very much and even went so far to call us "graceless' and "deceptive".  Why then should I, as a striving to be good RC, listen to anything uttered from his lips and give it credibility in my own life?
You mean, Blessed Serpahim? Care to take back the slander against him?

In Christ,
Andrew

Has he been glorified by any canonical Orthodox Church?  If not then why should I regard him as blessed?  He certainly didn't think I or my kind were such.  I know that many Orthodox hold that he had some questionable opinions on certain issues.  Will this possibly be a hindrance to his future glorification by any local Orthodox Church (If it hasn't already happened)?

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
TheodoraElizabeth3
Elder

« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2011, 01:24:04 AM »

Orthonorm

For whatever reason, amid the hyena den I grew up in, etiquette and manners were held in high regard.

Hey guys less than 40 years of age, a question for example, no googling:

When opening a door for a woman, when is the only time that it is proper to pass through the door before her?

Answer:

I'm not a guy less than 40, but my guess is a revolving door?

Men are pretty much mindless anymore. Probably always were.
[/quote]
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 01:26:04 AM by TheodoraElizabeth3 » Logged
Robb
OC.net guru

« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2011, 01:27:09 AM »

Volt, no offense but I can obviously tell that you come from a Protestant (Probably fundamentalist) Backround. You defiantly tend to have a viewpoint that goes like "world bad/ God good/ nothing in between".
I believe the world is good but it has a deadly illness. We should enjoy what we can but know that the virus is everywhere and extremely contagious. Sure we can try to give "therapy" via doing good but we must never think that this is a cure, it's only for temporary "quality of life improvement" (that might result in the salvation of others), and there can always be a relapse.

God will bring the cure someday, so we know that the patient can never be written off as dead, but until then we can never be absolutely confident that contact with the patient won't get us sick. We need to constantly wash our hands, wear breathing masks, etc. In other words, we can't be as free as we would if the patient were healthy, and this is where askesis comes in.

Yeah, but I don't hear too many Catholics (Or Orthodox) Say things like "we are Babylon and will fall" or whatever along those lines.  I agree with you in the concept of man as tainted by sin, but I don't subscribe to the concept that sin makes the world a bad place that has to be purged and destroyed in some future cataclysm.  Catholics preffer to view Christ second coming not as the "end" of the World, but rather as it's renewal and rebirth.  He is coming to make all things new.  

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2011, 01:32:34 AM »

Maybe you have been hanging around with the wrong men.
TheodoraElizabeth3
Elder

« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2011, 01:40:56 AM »

That was someone else's comment. I'm on my iPad and I can't scroll down lower in the posts box. I thought I had deleted everything I wanted to. Guess not.
stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2011, 01:46:20 AM »

That was someone else's comment. I'm on my iPad and I can't scroll down lower in the posts box. I thought I had deleted everything I wanted to. Guess not.
My remark, then, would not apply to you at all. It only applies to a person who had such an idea.

Volnutt
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2011, 04:06:16 AM »

Volt, no offense but I can obviously tell that you come from a Protestant (Probably fundamentalist) Backround. You defiantly tend to have a viewpoint that goes like "world bad/ God good/ nothing in between".

Yeah, but I don't hear too many Catholics (Or Orthodox) Say things like "we are Babylon and will fall" or whatever along those lines.  I agree with you in the concept of man as tainted by sin, but I don't subscribe to the concept that sin makes the world a bad place that has to be purged and destroyed in some future cataclysm.  Catholics preffer to view Christ second coming not as the "end" of the World, but rather as it's renewal and rebirth.  He is coming to make all things new.  
Not to "verse sling" but,
Romans 8:19 For the earnest expectation of the creation eagerly waits for the revealing of the sons of God. 20 For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of Him who subjected it in hope; 21 because the creation itself also will be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God. 22 For we know that the whole creation groans and labors with birth pangs together until now.
1 John 1:15 Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 16 For all that is in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—is not of the Father but is of the world. 17 And the world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever.

I agree the world will be made new and then endure forever, but it's pretty darn "old" here in the present.

orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2011, 07:15:22 AM »

Answer the question.

It ain't hanging out. I've been able to see since birth.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
joasia

« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2011, 09:26:41 AM »

Excellent point!

Stillness,  prayer, love and self-control are a four-horsed chariot bearing the intellect to Heaven. (Philokalia 2: p.308 - #24) - St. Thalassios

The proper activity of the intellect is to be attentive at every moment to the words of God.   (Philokalia 2: p. 308 - # 30) - St. Thalassios
TheodoraElizabeth3
Elder

« Reply #60 on: June 18, 2011, 09:37:13 AM »

Answer the question.

There's no question to answer. I didn't make the "men are pretty much mindless" comment. I didn't delete part of someone's else's comment when posting. It was a mistake, that's all.

Even if you choose to just meet guys through church anything church-related or through friends (as I do), it's no guarantee they won't turn out to be bad dating material, forget about bad husband material.
joasia

« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2011, 09:44:35 AM »

The world was made good but because of the Fall even nature has become corrupted.  So how can the world be good now?  Everything is corrupted.  Sounds to me like you just want to make excuses for enjoying the flesh and ignoring the spiritual understanding of the state of our corrupted souls. 

that has to be purged and destroyed in some future cataclysm.  Catholics preffer to view Christ second coming not as the "end" of the World, but rather as it's renewal and rebirth.  He is coming to make all things new. 

[/quote]1 John 1:15 Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 16 For all that is in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—is not of the Father but is of the world. 17 And the world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever.[/quote]

Good one Volnutt. 

orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #62 on: June 18, 2011, 12:40:53 PM »

Answer the question.

There's no question to answer. I didn't make the "men are pretty much mindless" comment. I didn't delete part of someone's else's comment when posting. It was a mistake, that's all.

Even if you choose to just meet guys through church anything church-related or through friends (as I do), it's no guarantee they won't turn out to be bad dating material, forget about bad husband material.

A few people ain't good with the nesting quotes. The question wasn't directed toward you.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Robb
OC.net guru

« Reply #63 on: June 18, 2011, 04:21:07 PM »

Yeah, but I don't hear too many Catholics (Or Orthodox) Say things like "we are Babylon and will fall" or whatever along those lines.  I agree with you in the concept of man as tainted by sin, but I don't subscribe to the concept that sin makes the world a bad place that has to be purged and destroyed in some future cataclysm. Catholics preffer to view Christ second coming not as the "end" of the World, but rather as it's renewal and rebirth.  He is coming to make all things new.  
Not to "verse sling" but,
Romans 8:19 For the earnest expectation of the creation eagerly waits for the revealing of the sons of God. 20 For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of Him who subjected it in hope; 21 because the creation itself also will be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God. 22 For we know that the whole creation groans and labors with birth pangs together until now.
1 John 1:15 Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 16 For all that is in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—is not of the Father but is of the world. 17 And the world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever.

I agree the world will be made new and then endure forever, but it's pretty darn "old" here in the present.

Yes, I've heard these Bible quotes thrown around before.  Much of what the Bible says however is like a fog and we need the ship of the Church and its compass of magisterial to guide us through it.  I still preffer to listen to the advice given by my spiritual director and the Church authorities he answers to instead of just reading scripture passages and making a private interpretation about their meaning and applying it to my own life.

-- Gustave Flaubert
Volnutt
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #64 on: June 18, 2011, 04:34:51 PM »

Guess we're at an impasse then. Since I reject the Pope though, it's kind of hard for me to take seriously your claim that I'm a sad little misanthrope who needs a new imagination, nor your criticism of the Church Fathers.

Robb
OC.net guru

« Reply #65 on: June 18, 2011, 04:50:15 PM »

Guess we're at an impasse then. Since I reject the Pope though, it's kind of hard for me to take seriously your claim that I'm a sad little misanthrope who needs a new imagination, nor your criticism of the Church Fathers.

Unfortunately my own dim view of Protestantism make it hard for me to take you very seriously.  All you Prots have is the Bible to go on and that can be interpreted in many, many ways.  The Fathers may have been good for their times, but ours are different and we need a living magisterium of the Vatican to guide us and not faith in ancient books and dead words.  

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article574768.ece

October 5, 2005

Catholic Church no longer swears by truth of the Bible

By Ruth Gledhill, Religion Correspondent

THE hierarchy of the Roman Catholic Church has published a teaching document instructing the faithful that some parts of the Bible are not actually true.

The Catholic bishops of England, Wales and Scotland are warning their five million worshippers, as well as any others drawn to the study of scripture, that they should not expect “total accuracy” from the Bible...

« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 04:50:46 PM by Robb » Logged

-- Gustave Flaubert
stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #66 on: June 18, 2011, 04:58:47 PM »

True. But not all men are mindless though. I am sure that you can think of a few places where a woman could meet a good man with education.
Poppy
OC.net guru

Faith: Muslim
Jurisdiction: Hanbali fiqh

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #67 on: June 18, 2011, 05:00:57 PM »

THE hierarchy of the Roman Catholic Church has published a teaching document instructing the faithful that some parts of the Bible are not actually true.

The Catholic bishops of England, Wales and Scotland are warning their five million worshippers, as well as any others drawn to the study of scripture, that they should not expect “total accuracy” from the Bible...

crikey if its all down to one bloke The Pope to say which parts are true and not true that makes me think thas a huge amount of pressure for him poor sod and also it makes it easier if theres not a consensus of people, for him to get it way wrong sometimes. Wouldn't want his job na uh.
Robb
OC.net guru

« Reply #68 on: June 18, 2011, 05:05:09 PM »

crikey if its all down to one bloke The Pope to say which parts are true and not true that makes me think thas a huge amount of pressure for him poor sod and also it makes it easier if theres not a consensus of people, for him to get it way wrong sometimes. Wouldn't want his job na uh.

No system of government is perfect (Even Church ones).  To me, its the best we have so far.  It hasn't steered either me or any RC I know in a bad direction for sure.

-- Gustave Flaubert
Volnutt
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #69 on: June 18, 2011, 05:06:59 PM »

Unfortunately my own dim view of Protestantism make it hard for me to take you very seriously.  All you Prots have is the Bible to go on and that can be interpreted in many, many ways.  The Fathers may have been good for their times, but ours are different and we need a living magisterium of the Vatican to guide us and not faith in ancient books and dead words.  

October 5, 2005

You do realize that makes you essentially at the whims of a mortal man, right? What would you do if someone who held the doctrines of John Shelby Spong became Pope and promulgated such ex cathedra, go back to the "dead letters" in order to refute him?

FWIW I do not any longer consider myself a sola scripturist. I believe in the Laurentian Canon (Many Prots would say this makes me a sola scripturist, anyway. I say they're smoking crack). The only thing stopping me from going Orthodox is my uncertainty that things like Real Presence, veneration, Holy Penance, etc. are properly included under the heading, "always, everywhere, and by all."
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 05:09:21 PM by Volnutt » Logged

Robb
OC.net guru

« Reply #70 on: June 18, 2011, 05:10:18 PM »

October 5, 2005

You do realize that makes you essentially at the whims of a mortal man, right? What would you do if someone who held the doctrines of John Shelby Spong became Pope and promulgated such ex cathedra, go back to the "dead letters" in order to refute him?

FWIW I do not consider myself a sola scripturist. I believe in the Laurentian Canon (Many Prots would say this makes me a sola scripturist, anyway. I say they're smoking crack). The only thing stopping me from going Orthodox is my uncertainty that things like Real Presence, veneration, Holy Penance, etc. are properly included under the heading, "always, everywhere, and by all."

We Rc's believe that the Pope cannot error on faith and morals so the chances of that happening are slim to none.  If it should occur though that s Spong type were elected Pope then either God would have to strike him down dead or else God would permit him to reign, but not teach heresy Ex Cathedra.

You have already been instructed by one of the moderators of this section that Faith Issues is not the place for you to preach the tenets of your Roman Catholic faith, which you have been doing far too much here the last few days. If you wish to share with us what your church teaches, other than to offer a corrective of our misconceptions, then please do so on the Orthodox-Catholic board. Do not do so here.

For continuing to disregard my colleague's instructions by preaching your Roman Catholic faith on Faith Issues, you are receiving this warning to last for the next three weeks. If you feel that this action is wrong, feel free to appeal it via private message to Fr. George.

- PeterTheAleut
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 02:46:25 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged

-- Gustave Flaubert
Volnutt
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #71 on: June 18, 2011, 05:14:24 PM »

Ok. I hope for your sake that God would.

Poppy
OC.net guru

Faith: Muslim
Jurisdiction: Hanbali fiqh

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #72 on: June 18, 2011, 05:29:02 PM »

No system of government is perfect (Even Church ones).  To me, its the best we have so far.  It hasn't steered either me or any RC I know in a bad direction for sure.

Until now....lolOl
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 05:29:39 PM by Poppy » Logged
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #73 on: June 18, 2011, 06:11:27 PM »

I'm not sure if I would place much stock in anything written by the ex Buddhist beatnick, turned Orthodox Monk, Eugene Rose. 

For starters, Robb, it's Fr. Seraphim Rose.  Secondly, he was never a Buddhist nor a beatnik.  He did his masters (and walked away from academe just shy of achieving his PhD.) in Asian languages.  His interests did include Buddhism, but it was Taoism that attracted him most.  As for the Beatnik accusation, hardly.  Fr. Seraphim shunned drugs and rock-n-roll, preferring instead Classical music.  If you're keen to not embarrass yourself again, you might wish to read his biography Father Seraphim Rose: His Life and Works.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Robb
OC.net guru

« Reply #74 on: June 19, 2011, 01:40:10 AM »

Ok. I hope for your sake that God would.

For my sake and a billion other people as well. 

-- Gustave Flaubert
Tags: sin 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: