OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 04:50:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ancient Faith Radio to podcast Orientale Lumen XV Conference  (Read 1407 times) Average Rating: 0
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« on: June 15, 2011, 01:21:49 PM »

Ancient Faith Radio to podcast Orientale Lumen XV Conference. 

Beginning Monday, June 20, 2011, AFR will broadcast lectures—just minutes after they occur—from the Orientale Lumen XV Conference. This year's conference is titled "Rome and the Communion of Churches: Bishop, Patriarch, or Pope?" and speakers will include Metropolitan Jonah of the OCA and Metropolitan Kallistos of Diokleia
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 02:04:06 PM »

I find this amusing, as the OL people offered an "electronic package" whereby one could attend via streaming video/audio.

if AFR is offering this for free afterwards, it will save me $50!

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Orest
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 03:22:43 PM »

Beginning Monday, June 20, 2011, AFR will broadcast lectures—just minutes after they occur—from the Orientale Lumen XV Conference. This year's conference is titled "Rome and the Communion of Churches: Bishop, Patriarch, or Pope?" and speakers will include Metropolitan Jonah of the OCA and Metropolitan Kallistos of Diokleia

It doesn't seem to be well organized.  The only info I could find was this:

http://www.olconference.com/OLC15Brochure.pdf
http://www.olconference.com/OL15Agenda.pdf

Even the press release is not available yet.  Also there are 6 Plenary Sessions with no titles just the names of the speakers.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 03:42:41 PM »

I picked this up off of another forum that I visit from time to time. I did verify this at AFR's website and it is true. Here is the conference brochure link.  http://www.olconference.com/OLC15Brochure.pdf

Is it just me or couldn't they find a knowledgeable 'real' Greek Catholic to speak instead of Fr. Taft?  Wink

Perhaps the sponsors wouldn't be quite certain about the ecclesiology that might be offered by such others or is it just that a well published Jesuit might be more 'predictable'?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 03:46:44 PM by podkarpatska » Logged
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 09:42:37 PM »

I picked this up off of another forum that I visit from time to time. I did verify this at AFR's website and it is true. Here is the conference brochure link.  http://www.olconference.com/OLC15Brochure.pdf

Is it just me or couldn't they find a knowledgeable 'real' Greek Catholic to speak instead of Fr. Taft?  Wink

Perhaps the sponsors wouldn't be quite certain about the ecclesiology that might be offered by such others or is it just that a well published Jesuit might be more 'predictable'?

The OL is a good old boys club...with OLD becoming the operative word.  The focus is the center and the center are the organizers and their friends and the same speakers are recycled year after year.   They are the only ones who are truly knowledgeable so there's no real need to look elsewhere...right?  If you and I were willing or able and willing to spend that kind of money, we could do the same thing...Might even be more fun.  I know there'd be more knowledgeable women involved that's for sure.

Orest
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 09:10:44 AM »

I also gave the link for the brochure: but it really has little information since the titles of the talks are not given.
PrincessMommy
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

OCA

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 07:05:38 PM »

It doesn't seem to be well organized.  The only info I could find was this:

http://www.olconference.com/OLC15Brochure.pdf
http://www.olconference.com/OL15Agenda.pdf

Even the press release is not available yet.  Also there are 6 Plenary Sessions with no titles just the names of the speakers.

OL doesn't tend to look well organized.  I went to one and it is way too expensive to go every year unless the topic is of great importance  - and even then I probably wouldn't do it again.   I was able to commute so it made it a bit cheaper but still not quite enough.  The year I went they did have a woman speaker.  She was a nun in the Coptic tradition.   But, yes, it seems to be the same speakers every year with a few extras thrown in.  

FWIW, Met. Kallistos will be speaking at St. Mark in Bethesda for free on Saturday June 25th.  He will be giving 3 lectures beginning at 1pm. : "Orthodoxy in our Daily Life", "Living the Liturgy" and "The Mystery of Inner Prayer".  It will conclude with Vespers at 5:30.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 07:06:26 PM by PrincessMommy » Logged
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 11:22:18 PM »

Apparently they will broadcast the plenaries, beginning with Fr. Taft's tomorrow morning. At least that's what I read elsewhere.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 11:37:43 AM »

Apparently they will broadcast the plenaries, beginning with Fr. Taft's tomorrow morning. At least that's what I read elsewhere.

Correction, there's one talk on there now:

Opening Session

Welcome remarks by conference organizer Jack Figel, Cardinal Theodore McCarrick, Metropolitan Kallistos of Diokleia, and Bishop John Michael Botean. Plus, a letter from Patriarch Gregorios of the Melkites.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 03:21:14 PM »

I just finished listening to Fr. Taft's talk. I'll be interested to see whether the candor of his remarks about Orthodoxy is match by equal candor by the Orthodox speakers.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 03:22:31 PM »

P.S. The last several minutes of Fr. Taft's talk contain a few remarks which will, I strongly suspect, delight some of OCnet's Orthodox posters

elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 03:58:18 PM »

P.S. The last several minutes of Fr. Taft's talk contain a few remarks which will, I strongly suspect, delight some of OCnet's Orthodox posters

Can you...do you have time to recap?  I don't have time to sit and listen to them and I am curious. 

Have a sick family member so I am running Internet Lite lately...

M.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 07:55:26 PM »

Here's the link for the first day:

http://ancientfaith.com/specials/orientale_lumen_xv_conference

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2011, 03:45:25 PM »

Just so everybody knows, the whole thing is up now at the link above.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2011, 06:27:33 PM »

Hi all. This thread has been has been inactive for a couple weeks (for obvious reasons) but I thought it might be worth reviving to mention a National Catholic Register article on the subject:
East-West Catholic Dialogue in D.C.

elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2011, 06:34:29 PM »

Hi all. This thread has been has been inactive for a couple weeks (for obvious reasons) but I thought it might be worth reviving to mention a National Catholic Register article on the subject:

I am generally not fond of O-L recaps in the press...however I very much liked this article.

This sounded like a good year for the good old boy's club after all!!...
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 06:36:16 PM by elijahmaria » Logged

Dave in McKinney

Faith: Roman Catholic but loving Byzantine Catholicism

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2011, 11:46:09 AM »

Met. Ware and Fr. Taft's are well worth listening to... 
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2011, 12:08:05 PM »

“Many Orthodox view all bishops as successors to Peter,” Metropolitan Kallistos Ware of the Greek Orthodox Ecumenical Patriarchate said recently, “but most would concede that the bishop of Rome is a successor of Peter in a special way.”

What exactly is that special way? Like others at the Orientale Lumen conference in Washington at which he spoke, Metropolitan Kallistos acknowledged that the papacy is entitled to primacy in some form, but he stopped far short in his willingness to grant it the kind of jurisdictional role the papacy enjoys in the Catholic Church.
And Antioch?  The bishop of Rome is no different in succession from St. Peter than the Patriarch of Antioch.
This year’s gathering drew laity and clergy to a retreat house near The Catholic University of America and featured talks and various Eastern liturgies. The theme was “Communion of Churches: Bishop, Patriarch or Pope.”
Hmm.  Good summary for the issue. The answer, of course, is bishop, despite what Old Rome, New Rome or the latest in Antioch say.

“The possibility of a legitimate Petrine authority — which I as a Catholic in no way challenge — in no way justified every exercise of that authority,” he said.
Aside from the Orthodox episcopate, there is no such thing as a legitimate Petrine authority.  That leaves only illegitimate for anything else.

Although this was addressed on a highly theological level, some participants saw the issue in purely practical terms. Subdeacon Robert Cripps, a Ruthenian Byzantine Catholic from Ohio, whose Church is in full communion with Rome, said he “loves being in communion with the Holy Father.” But he recalled that, in the 1920s, the Holy See issued a decree calling for celibacy among Byzantine clergy. The so-called “celibacy wars” ended with the Byzantine retaining the right to a married clergy, said Cripps, who is married, but the controversy shows why some Orthodox insist that Roman authority be limited if they are to rejoin the Catholic Church.
Ended?  They just opened a new front in Italy. And it is not "so-called."

One of the controversial topics that came up at the conference was Pope Benedict XVI’s 2006 decision quietly to drop the papacy’s traditional title “Patriarch of the West.” While some speculated at the time that this was a conciliatory gesture aimed at accommodating Orthodox sensibilities, the move was nevertheless greeted with suspicion by some Orthodox Christians.
Roll Eyes
“For the Orthodox,” Kallistos explained, “the Church is three tiers — the position of the bishop in his diocese, regional patriarchs, and the universal primacy. Dropping the title ‘Patriarch of the West’ suggested to the Orthodox that regional primacy was no longer important [to Rome].”

One of the novel suggestions put forth at the conference came from Adam DeVille, a Greek Catholic, editor of Logos magazine and author of Orthodoxy and the Roman Papacy: Ut Unum Sint and the Prospects of East-West Unity. DeVille called for the Catholic Church to change her structure, dividing into six continental patriarchies under a “papal presidency.” DeVille, a professor in the philosophy and theology department at the University of St. Francis in Fort Wayne, Ind., said that this would show that the Catholic Church is willing to develop a more dispersed form of authority and could set the stage for reunion.

Msgr. Magee was skeptical.

“More important than the Latin Church’s changing her structure,” he said, “is to realize that the Latin Church is a particular Church in the universal Church.” Msgr. Magee suggested that the Pope would govern the Latin Church in “a more centralized way than he would in relation to the Eastern Churches.”
All this unnecesary adding of antoher layer to the Church's cake.

The sooner the Episcopal Assemblies evolve into Local Holy Synods, the better.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2011, 04:49:18 PM »

I listened to most of the talks, back within a few days of them coming out, and I only really cared for two.  Metropolitans Kallistos and Jonah.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: