OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 11:20:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Luke 17 and the Rapture  (Read 788 times) Average Rating: 0
ChristianIssues

« on: June 15, 2011, 04:57:18 AM »

Why is it that Luke 17:24-36 is never mentioned when the Rapture is discussed? I find that these verses clearly show when the Rapture will occur so I've made the following article to show how I see things. Can anyone show how this passage can be viewed differently?

The following chart and text examine the verses in Luke 17:24-36 which are entirely about the day Jesus returns like lightning. I start with Matt. 24 to show the timing of the verses in Luke 17:24-36.
Point 3 on the chart is Matt. 24:21, the Great Tribulation, and then after the tribulation …
Point 5 (Matt. 24:27, 30) says that Jesus will appear like lightning - Luke 17:24 is the parallel verse.
Now let's follow the verses in Luke 17 which describe Jesus' return AFTER the Great Tribulation.
Points 6 and 7 (Luke 17:26-29) describe the sudden destruction of sinners in the days of Noah and Lot then …
Point 8 (Luke 17:30) says that it (the destruction) will be just the same when Jesus returns. Also …
Point 9 (Luke 17:31-33) says that “ON THAT DAY” no one should look to earthly things but to remember Lot's
wife because …
Points 10 and 11 (Luke 17:34-35) say that “one will be taken and the other left” and this is the Rapture.
So, AFTER the Great Tribulation, Jesus will return like lightning to rapture believers and to destroy sinners.

This chart shows the flow of events as:
1) The Antichrist ………………………………… at Point 1.
2) The Great Tribulation ………………………… at Point 3.
3) Jesus appears like lightening …………………. at Point 5.
4) The Rapture and the Day Of The Lord ……….. at Points 8 to 11.

Rescuing the righteous and then destroying the sinners was the pattern in the days of Noah and Lot and Jesus said, in Luke 17:30, that it would be the same when He returns.
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 07:42:00 AM »

The rapture is a modernistic lie thought up by a 15 year old girl in a demonic trance. Please see http://tiny.cc/rapturelie

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 08:52:29 AM »

You forgot verses 36 and 37.

It seems that points 5-11 all happen at the same time.

God's people will be "raptured up", as you like to say, at the final resurrection (1Thess 4:16).

The final judgement happens at the final resurrection when Christ returns (John 5:26-29).

As the creed says, "And He shall come again to judge the living and the dead, and His kingdom shall have no end."

There is only one second coming, and everyone will stand in front of the Lord. You should worry less about timelines when everything will happen, and more about whether you will be standing on the left or right hand when He does return.

Rescuing the righteous and then destroying the sinners was the pattern in the days of Noah and Lot and Jesus said, in Luke 17:30, that it would be the same when He returns.

These are types of the final judgement and our salvation in Christ.

Also the word "meet" used there is only used a two other places in the NT. In Matt 25 when the virgins went to "meet" the bridgroom, which is given as warning to prepare ourselves for the final judgement at Christ's return. In Acts 28:15, when the brethren came from Rome to "meet" Paul and his companions and then accompany them back to Rome. It would seem that when Christ returns in glory, that He will be accompanied by His saints (Jude 14,15), so while we will in fact be with Him forever, we will "meet" Him "in the air" when he returns and follow with Him as he descends.

Not to mention 1 Thess 5:1-2

But of the times and the seasons, brethren, ye have no need that I write unto you. For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 08:54:35 AM »

Seems like some churches are more interested in the correct events of the last days then they are of doing what the LORD wants them to do.
David Carroll

Jurisdiction: GOA

Holy Ephraim, pray for us!

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 09:11:11 AM »

My opinion on this is that Satan will be so powerfully deceptive in the end-times as to raise up first to the world a "false anti-christ" (someone who is so obviously evil that the world will immediately "identify" him as the man of perdition), then perform a "rapture" of some sort (possibly "rapturing away" spiritually deluded charismatics and hiding them away somewhere in the astral plane or just carry their souls to hell), and then introduce the REAL anti-christ as a bright and shining Messiah coming out of the sky with his "angels".  I don't doubt that UFO's will be heavily involved either.

Pray that God would deliver me from hatred and pride.
ChristianIssues

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 04:08:15 PM »

You should worry less about timelines when everything will happen, and more about whether you will be standing on the left or right hand when He does return....

I certainly agree with you. We must be prepared. The idea behind the post is to get people aware that they need to be ready when the Lord returns. Many believe that they will be raptured before the tribulation and escape all the troubles of that time. We need to be strong in the Lord to stand firm to the end.

God bless,
Mick
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 04:23:33 PM »

There's no reason to think that God will take His people to float in the sky before or after the tribulation. That's an unfounded assumption.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 04:23:44 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 04:36:16 PM »

The rapture is a modernistic lie thought up by a 15 year old girl in a demonic trance. Please see http://tiny.cc/rapturelie

This is a popular misconception. Not only was "rapture theology" developed before her experience, but her experience was misused by others to bolster support for an idea which was already being preached.

The notion of a rapture certainly goes back as far as the famous father and son Mather preachers, Increase and Cotton, and perhaps even earlier. Still recent according to OC standards.

Some controversy surrounds whether or not a rapture of sorts was believed in by early Christians, with most denying such a belief existed within early Christianity. Certainly literal millennialism was held by many early Christians.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 04:58:19 PM »

Whether it's real or not, which I dont think it is anymore.....(guess Im officially not a Baptist now  Cool )

We need to obey the Lord in the here and now because:
if you do, it dosent matter if there's a rapture or not
If you dont obey him, it also dosent matter if there's a Rapture or not....

primuspilus

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
David Carroll

Jurisdiction: GOA

Holy Ephraim, pray for us!

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 05:05:07 PM »

Why would we WANT to be raptured when we know that we shall be awarded glorious crowns for the immense suffering we will be accounted worthy of?  In fact, I think I remember reading some Divinely-Illumined Saint (I can't remember who....I think it was St. Nektarios of Pentapolis, but I'm not sure) saying that the martyrs and saints of the end-times, because of the sheer intensity of agony that they will undergo, will be crowned with greater glory than every saint or martyr hitherto.

(Not that I'm ready for such suffering.  I have a LONG way to go.)

Pray that God would deliver me from hatred and pride.
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 08:04:26 AM »

We need to be strong in the Lord to stand firm to the end.

This should be an everyday thing, regardless of whether or not you're expecting to still be alive when the Lord returns.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
ChristianIssues

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 06:44:50 PM »

We need to be strong in the Lord to stand firm to the end.

This should be an everyday thing, regardless of whether or not you're expecting to still be alive when the Lord returns.

Yes, it certainly should be as, rapture aside, we can die at any moment and face the Lord.

What concerns me is that there are many who do not have a close walk with Jesus and believe that they will be raptured before the Great Tribulation. If they face persecution then they may depart the faith as Jesus said many would (Matt. 24:10).

God bless,
Mick
Tags: end times rapture 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: