OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 03:15:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Casting Fire: Day of the Holy Spirit  (Read 641 times) Average Rating: 0
gregory77

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

« on: June 13, 2011, 07:23:19 PM »

"I came to send fire on the earth, and how I wish it were already kindled!  But I have a baptism to be baptized with, and how distressed I am till it is accomplished!  - Jesus Christ 

In honor of the "Day of The Holy Spirit,"  this 4th episode on "Divine Eros: Hymns of Saint Symeon The New Theologian" is a reading of hymn 30 that explores the connection between the hard quote by Jesus in connection with the baptism of the Holy Spirit.

Click here to watch this episode:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SDPNBtLu30
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 07:34:04 PM »

Divine eros?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
gregory77

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 08:00:28 PM »

Divine eros?

Yep, Divine Eros.

Here is a link to the intro episode in which I address the term:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uRKHBOqIqY

I would encourage you to buy the book and if you have a kindle (app).  It would be best and cheaper to buy the ebook version.   Also in the book "The Mountain of Silence,"  Fr. Maximos address the meaning of the term as well, very nicely.  That book is available as an ebook as well.   Take care...
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 10:03:04 PM »

The definition goes back to Plato. The idea that you can be attracted to someone and want to have intimate fellowship with them without desiring them sexually, this is the first stage of the famous Platonic love. God "erotically" desires us in this way and we should desire Him.
gregory77

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 10:23:35 PM »

The definition goes back to Plato. The idea that you can be attracted to someone and want to have intimate fellowship with them without desiring them sexually, this is the first stage of the famous Platonic love. God "erotically" desires us in this way and we should desire Him.

You are referring to the symposium, right???  It has been awhile, since I read that last.  Thanks for the reminder.  It is interesting Plato had a similar idea that can be found in the language used through out the Old Testament describing the relationship between God and Israel.  For example the Songs of Songs.  I basically think this idea is just hardwired into the human makeup.   That is why it has such a wide appeal to a lot of different people over the ages.  Thanks for the feedback...
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 01:01:22 AM »

I've not read The Symposium myself, just going off summaries of it. But, you're welcome Smiley

I agree, it is hardwired. I detest our culture's attempts to move away from this. All of a sudden any expression of male affection is "gay."

Middle Easterners must chuckle at our misapplied prudery-while some "scholars" blaspheme the Lord and His Beloved Disciple and the holy friendship of Sts. David and Jonathan.
gregory77

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 01:24:59 AM »

I've not read The Symposium myself, just going off summaries of it. But, you're welcome Smiley

I agree, it is hardwired. I detest our culture's attempts to move away from this. All of a sudden any expression of male affection is "gay."

Middle Easterners must chuckle at our misapplied prudery-while some "scholars" blaspheme the Lord and His Beloved Disciple and the holy friendship of Sts. David and Jonathan.

Yeah, I really don't have a clue as to what Middle Easterners think.  I suspect they have a variety of opinions.   It is a diverse place.

Yeah, I wouldn't know about any expression kindness or affection being a problem.   I suspect it is probably just folks that might be insecure with themselves.  The culture is full of sexual messages, so I'm sure it gets overwhelming for some folks.

Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 01:41:59 AM »

Oh, sorry. I just meant in general, Middle Eastern attitudes to male affection are a lot less inhibited.

You're right about sexual imagery.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: