OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 11:36:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to be charitable in boring conversations  (Read 1518 times) Average Rating: 0
Sauron
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« on: June 13, 2011, 06:46:03 PM »

I am a heterosexual American male. However, I do not care about sports at all.

This is often a problem for me because other heterosexual American males will often strike up conversations that center around sports. For example, while I was waiting in line at the bank last week, one of the employees struck up a conversation with me asking about what I thought of the basketball game. I told him that I did not know what game he was talking about. Apparently, it was Game 3 of the NBA Finals, so then I had to have a conversation and fake about watching basketball. I would have preferred to be honest and say that I do not follow sports and I think basketball is particularly stupid because of dribbling. However, that would make me rude and impolite, so I have to fake it. It feels like that scene in The Birdcage where Robin Williams teaches Nathan Lane how to talk about football.

So, what would be the charitable and Christian way to deal with such situations. Usually, someone asks if I saw "the game" and I said that I missed it (in a polite way) and it is usually left at that. However, sometimes they go on into a big treatise about their favorite team and why this coach needs to go and so-and-so needs to work on defense et cetera ad nauseum. What's the best way to deal with such situations without being fake, yet still being kind to the other person?
Poppy
OC.net guru

Faith: Muslim
Jurisdiction: Hanbali fiqh

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 06:53:06 PM »

If i wanted to be kind but i didn't want them to be like a runnaway train??? Then i would control the conversation and say "nah i missed it" then straight on to... "so what do you like about football in general??" because then they are talking about what they like about it which usually runs out after about a minute......and not the actual game itself..... which could go on forEVER!!!!

But i like sport so...  Grin

But yeah.... i would say a quick redirect and your on a home run haha...
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 07:22:35 PM »

I don't see anything wrong with saying "I'm not a big sports fan. I love [fill in the blank, politics, playing golf but not watching it], but I'm not much for sports. Sorry about that!"

They might say, "Oh man!", give you a quick recap, and maybe talk about the topic you just mentioned. ("Did you hear about Rep. Weiner tweeting his Johnson?") Or like some men, he just might keep going and going. I would just say, "I wouldn't know," after he looks at you for a response. Nod and be friendly, but if you don't have much of a follow up response, he should get tired of talking about that subject eventually.

But I know some guys that can talk about sports for hours without any response, so I feel your pain (especially when they get into statistics. I watch sports occasionally but I don't have enough time to worry about who's only batting .127 and what this guy's ERA was).
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 07:23:07 PM by IsmiLiora » Logged

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 07:30:56 PM »

("Did you hear about Rep. Weiner tweeting his Johnson?")
Does that mean what I think it means? (i.e. involving twitpics?)

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 07:32:58 PM »

Welcome to the club.

I just generally say "I'm not really into sports." But, then again, I'm usually not accosted by total strangers about it.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 07:41:41 PM »

("Did you hear about Rep. Weiner tweeting his Johnson?")
Does that mean what I think it means? (i.e. involving twitpics?)
Heh, yeah! Sorry, that was the first big political story that came into my mind. All the guys I know have been talking about it lately!

--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
Tallitot
Warned
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 09:30:50 PM »

You could always come back with "Can you believe what Bernadette Peters wore to the Tonys?"
just kidding

Unfortunately, a lot businesses in the US instruct thier employees to be chatty with costomers. I guess they're trying to put on a "freindly face". Banks are the worst offenders. i wish we'd get back to the time when business was business, not a social occasion.

Proverbs 22:7
quietmorning
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 09:38:54 PM »

I'm just honest - but interested in the person.  "I don't know much about such and such sport (usually I say I haven't had the time to follow this or that sport in a long time) - but with the look on your face, I can see I've really missed something good - tell me about it."  Then I ask the natural questions that pop up as I listen. 

I may not be interested in the sport or activity - but usually I'm interested on the other person's point of view - and definitely the person.  I've learned quite a few things by shifting my interest just enough from the interest to the person to keep me engaged. 

Then before I know it I find myself a little more interested in something that I really didn't know or care a whole lot about before. Who knew.

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 10:07:21 PM »

You could always come back with "Can you believe what Bernadette Peters wore to the Tonys?"
just kidding

Unfortunately, a lot businesses in the US instruct thier employees to be chatty with costomers. I guess they're trying to put on a "freindly face". Banks are the worst offenders. i wish we'd get back to the time when business was business, not a social occasion.

People watch the Tony's? hmmm  Smiley
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 10:08:59 PM »

I'm just honest - but interested in the person.  "I don't know much about such and such sport (usually I say I haven't had the time to follow this or that sport in a long time) - but with the look on your face, I can see I've really missed something good - tell me about it."  Then I ask the natural questions that pop up as I listen. 

I may not be interested in the sport or activity - but usually I'm interested on the other person's point of view - and definitely the person.  I've learned quite a few things by shifting my interest just enough from the interest to the person to keep me engaged. 

Then before I know it I find myself a little more interested in something that I really didn't know or care a whole lot about before. Who knew.

BINGO!

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Tallitot
Warned
Archon

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 10:34:04 PM »

I'm really not an unfriendly person, but in certain situations I think there is some "forced" freindliness. Some businesses want employees to try to chat up customers and probaly tell them "talk about sports with male customers, the weather with females".

bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 10:41:57 PM »

i wish we'd get back to the time when business was business, not a social occasion.

Wisdom! Let us attend!
Tallitot
Warned
Archon

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 10:43:25 PM »

just kidding

No. That's the beauty of it...it stops a conversation in it's tracks.

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 12:15:14 AM »

just kidding

Aw come on! The Book Of Mormon deserves its awards. I love it! : http://youtu.be/tggtPHDmrR8

akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 12:19:33 AM »

Is that the one by the South Park dudes?

Have you seen the episode of South Park re the establishment of Mormonism?

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2011, 12:21:48 AM »

Yep to both!

Tallitot
Warned
Archon

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2011, 12:26:47 AM »

just kidding

Aw come on! The Book Of Mormon deserves its awards. I love it! : http://youtu.be/tggtPHDmrR8
to bad most of it has to much profanity to link on here

Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2011, 12:29:45 AM »

Unfortunately, a lot businesses in the US instruct thier employees to be chatty with costomers. I guess they're trying to put on a "freindly face". Banks are the worst offenders.

Well, that won't matter soon as they're phasing out all of the tellers right now. Not to worry though, the machines are all business. No pulse so no pesky problems.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 12:29:53 AM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
Russell

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Baptised Russian Orthodox

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2011, 12:33:15 AM »

I am just honest with the person from the start.  

I don't like to watch sports on television.  

If they still want to talk I mention that I did at one time go to games for one team but when my team won the big trophy, I felt no reason to continue the next season as my team finally "Won" and that was enough for me.

A few times I have had a conversation about what I dont like about television sports coverage.  

Mathe 24:36
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2011, 12:34:42 AM »

Yep to both!

It's smug and uncharitable, I guess, but I just can't help laughing.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2011, 01:06:10 AM »

Of course, if the whole purpose of not stating from the outset that you don't like sports is to avoid feeling "unmanly" (not an unfair conclusion as you felt the need to state your heterosexuality multiple times in the first few sentences) you could always say "Sorry, I don't follow (sport X)."  I know very few men who follow every sport (multiple sports, perhaps, but usually one of them is left to the wayside out of the American big 4 of baseball, football, basketball, and hockey), so not following the particular sport the other wants to talk about isn't too odd.  Of course, this still doesn't work, as the sports enthusiast will still want to talk about last night's game, at which point basically apply the time honored male conversational gambit of allowing your eyes to glaze over and replying "yeah...uh-huh...you don't say... that ref was blind...." at appropriate pauses.

Oddly enough I actually enjoy basketball, but the entire time I lived in Chicago not one person ever wanted to talk about that.  It was always "Cubs this", "Sox that", "da Bears", or even "can you believe that Blackhawks game"?  Of course no one ever wanted to talk about the only Chicago team I had followed my whole life (and the only Chicago team to have actually won a championship during the decade).  The only way I survived baseball playoff season of 2003 was by taking perverse pleasure in having just recently moved there from Florida and "my" team erasing hopes of a Cubs World Series for the next hundred years.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2011, 01:18:23 AM »

Just read up on some news highlights daily, keep you in tune with what's going on. You could just say you don't follow it and try to bring up a different subject.

But seriously Basketball dumb? Should have watch the Finals this year, really exciting stuff. Watch the 1976 Finals for starters. I've become a big Jordan fan recently (I grew up watching Shaq) and reminded me how amazing the game is.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2011, 01:27:52 AM »

Same here.  I remember someone asked if I liked girls just because I didn't like sports.  Lol!  I said, "Well, hell, bubba.  I ain't the one who's watching a bunch of dudes all wearing the same matching outfits run around smackin' each other on the a*@."  His girlfriend laughed.  Hard.  Pretty sure I could've got her number.  Wink  I'm not so mouthy these days so I just try and politely listen.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2011, 01:53:05 AM »

Welcome to the club.

I just generally say "I'm not really into sports." But, then again, I'm usually not accosted by total strangers about it.

same here.

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Sauron
High Elder

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2011, 07:01:05 AM »

Just read up on some news highlights daily, keep you in tune with what's going on. You could just say you don't follow it and try to bring up a different subject.

But seriously Basketball dumb? Should have watch the Finals this year, really exciting stuff. Watch the 1976 Finals for starters. I've become a big Jordan fan recently (I grew up watching Shaq) and reminded me how amazing the game is.

Yes, basketball is dumb because dribbling is the dumbest rule in all of sports. The only reason for it is to keep basketball from being indoor rugby.

Jordan and Shaq can bounce a rubber ball in ways that I cannot, but still, the skills that amaze you ultimately come down to bouncing a rubber ball.
Sauron
High Elder

« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2011, 07:04:39 AM »

Of course, if the whole purpose of not stating from the outset that you don't like sports is to avoid feeling "unmanly" (not an unfair conclusion as you felt the need to state your heterosexuality multiple times in the first few sentences) you could always say "Sorry, I don't follow (sport X)."  I know very few men who follow every sport (multiple sports, perhaps, but usually one of them is left to the wayside out of the American big 4 of baseball, football, basketball, and hockey), so not following the particular sport the other wants to talk about isn't too odd.  Of course, this still doesn't work, as the sports enthusiast will still want to talk about last night's game, at which point basically apply the time honored male conversational gambit of allowing your eyes to glaze over and replying "yeah...uh-huh...you don't say... that ref was blind...." at appropriate pauses.

It is not that I care about being thought unmanly. The reason for the heterosexuality quips is to mock American sports obsession as being the sine qua non of manliness.

I just want to be respectful to the other person while not having to fake my way through a conversation. A secondary concern is the awkwardness of announcing that I do not follow sports and then their fumbling to find another topic of conversation. Can you imagine being so dull as to have nothing to discuss but team sports?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 07:05:40 AM by Sauron » Logged
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2011, 11:22:44 AM »

...American sports obsession as being the sine qua non of manliness.

Oops. Doggone it.

I'm a rabid football fan, so I'm the one annoying strangers with football talk. A couple of anecdotes:
1. Second date with my now-husband was a pro football game. When I stood up on the seat to yell uncomplimentary things to the refs, he moved away to sit in a different row
2. First Thanksgiving with prospective in-laws. I helped clear the table, loaded the dishwasher then retired to the den to watch football with the guys. Big faux pas in that family. Women in the kitchen, cooking or washing dishes - only guys watching football.

We've been married 30+ years, so at least he knew what he was getting into, huh?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 11:23:30 AM by katherineofdixie » Logged

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2011, 11:28:58 AM »

^ Ha, love it! I also love sports much more than my husband. He has been lucky enough, so far, to not have experienced attending a game with me. I do not yell at the refs (I used to be a ref for youth athletic league teams and that was stressful enough! Wink) but I do scream, very very loudly.

Plus, I also leave the Superbowl at halftime, because the halftime festivities are a waste of time! Wink
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 11:29:22 AM by IsmiLiora » Logged

--
--
Sauron
High Elder

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2011, 11:30:55 AM »

...American sports obsession as being the sine qua non of manliness.

Oops. Doggone it.

I'm a rabid football fan, so I'm the one annoying strangers with football talk. A couple of anecdotes:
1. Second date with my now-husband was a pro football game. When I stood up on the seat to yell uncomplimentary things to the refs, he moved away to sit in a different row
2. First Thanksgiving with prospective in-laws. I helped clear the table, loaded the dishwasher then retired to the den to watch football with the guys. Big faux pas in that family. Women in the kitchen, cooking or washing dishes - only guys watching football.

We've been married 30+ years, so at least he knew what he was getting into, huh?

So he did. However, being rabid about 22 men running 10 feet and falling down does escape me. I sometimes challenge sports fan to explain to me how watching Sports Center or reading the sports page is any different than watching Access Hollywood and reading celebrity gossip. I tend to get a lot of stammering in response.  Grin
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2011, 11:32:23 AM »

Yes, basketball is dumb because dribbling is the dumbest rule in all of sports. The only reason for it is to keep basketball from being indoor rugby.

Jordan and Shaq can bounce a rubber ball in ways that I cannot, but still, the skills that amaze you ultimately come down to bouncing a rubber ball.

Ever watch women's collegiate lacrosse?  If you literally get too close to the girl holding the ball while she's making a run for the net, you're guilty of an infraction.

THAT'S the stupidest rule in all of sports!

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2011, 11:34:07 AM »

My son is a Knicks fan. I lost interest in the NBA after Jordan but he hooked my wife and me on this season. The finals were everything about what sports can teach when it is dramatic and well played. Heroes and villains and all that. I hope they don't lose next season to labor woes....
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 11:35:11 AM by podkarpatska » Logged
Tallitot
Warned
Archon

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2011, 03:28:05 PM »

just kidding

Salt-a Lake-a Cit-ty!

Tallitot
Warned
Archon

« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2011, 03:42:15 PM »

Actually, you can talk about Broadway and still be manly....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6S5caRGpK4&feature=related

Tags: charity 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: