OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 10:53:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Not allowed to fast this week?  (Read 458 times) Average Rating: 0
Sauron
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« on: June 13, 2011, 10:02:27 AM »

I just noticed on my calendar that today is Trinity Week and is marked "fast free". Does this meaning that fasting is not allowed? The reason I ask is that I water fast at least one day a week for health purposes and would like to continue the practice this week if possible. It seems to me that if fasts can be relaxed for health reasons, the opposite should also be the case.

To preempt the usual exhortation, due to our respective schedules, by the time I would be able to ask my priest, this week will be over. I am not Orthodox, but I have been keeping the fasting discipline as I continue my inquiry.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 10:08:58 AM »

The canons and typikon deal with fasting as a spiritual exercise, and appoints a level of fasting (or absence of fasting) appropriate to the significance of a particular day or period in the Church calendar.

Fasting for health reasons is a different matter entirely.
bogdan
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 10:10:48 AM »

The Church calendar's directions about fasting only relate to religious fasting for penitential reasons. Certainly obedience to doctors overrides fasting/feasting, and that obedience and condescension to human weakness is considered equivalent.

If the fasting is completely voluntary, I would personally suggest celebrating the feast instead of fasting, but I don't think it would be problematic at all.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 10:11:04 AM by bogdan » Logged
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 11:01:49 AM »

Like others have said, fasting is a religious and spiritual exercise.  If it coincides with your day to day life, more power to you.  The main thing is that your prayers and thoughts about God should increase during times of fasting.  The dietary restrictions are secondary, they are there to help you.  Otherwise, fasting would be pretty pointless for Vegans and such (no oil or wine, woopdedoo).
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 11:27:34 AM »

Fasting is not required this week. This does not mean that the Church requires people to not fast.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
thefizzle656

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 02:16:31 PM »

As far as I know, during the fast-free weeks we don't have to fast but we could if we wanted to.  I was at an Athonite monastery for Pentecost and the week following and we didn't fast on Monday but did fast on Wednesday and Friday.  I asked why and was told that it was so that the monks (and properly prepared pilgrims) could commune on Thursday and Saturday (On Mt Athos and in parts of Greece they follow the rule of eating only fasting foods the day before you receive communion).  However, I was also told that at other monasteries they didn't fast that week and simply wouldn't be communing.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 02:18:40 PM by thefizzle656 » Logged
Sauron
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 03:04:00 PM »

I appreciate all of the comments.

This is not doctor's orders, but a practice I undertake in light of current research on intermittent fasting. I have since incorporated it into the weekly church fasts, which works well.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 03:09:07 PM »

Fasting is not required this week. This does not mean that the Church requires people to not fast.

I've heard the pastoral opinion that at least for lay persons, you are obliged to a degree not to fast. That doesn't mean to go "hog wild", but still to observe the "festive" nature.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Tags: fasting 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: