OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 30, 2014, 12:31:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sewing vestments  (Read 2304 times) Average Rating: 0
RLNM

Faith: Orthodox

RLNM
« on: April 09, 2010, 03:20:42 PM »

Has anyone tried to sew any sort of vestments? Was it particularly difficult, or about like any other sewing project? Did you have a pattern or did you improvise? Does anyone know where I could get a pattern for sewing an alterboy...robe? vestment? (never really thought about what they're called before).  Also, where is a good place to get the fabric?

Anyways, I'm one of the ones working on finding or making something for our alterboy.

Thanks

"This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it."
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 03:32:05 PM »

http://www.light-n-life.com/shopping/order_product.asp?ProductNum=MAKI110

Some vestment makers will tell you that you could never learn how to do it from patterns, and one even claimed that no such book as I linked above exists. Well, there you go--that book is by a priest and master tailor.  I doubt you'll be able to crank out fabulous vestments overnight, given the fact this is an art passed down, but you should be able to "get the job done" and improve as you go.

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 03:44:55 PM »

It can be done. My late mother in law used to sew all of the dalmatics for the altar boys in her parish and my wife made a pair of vestments once for my father. It is difficult, but if you hang in there it can be done. There are a number of sites online where you can obtain the fabric and trim, even local fabric stores may have stock that might be appropriate or have books to order from. Good luck!
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 03:48:24 PM »

Does anyone know where I could get a pattern for sewing an alterboy...robe? vestment? (never really thought about what they're called before).

We call them sticharions.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
monkvasyl
High Elder

Jurisdiction: UOC 0f USA

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 04:15:50 PM »

http://www.light-n-life.com/shopping/order_product.asp?ProductNum=MAKI110

Some vestment makers will tell you that you could never learn how to do it from patterns, and one even claimed that no such book as I linked above exists. Well, there you go--that book is by a priest and master tailor.  I doubt you'll be able to crank out fabulous vestments overnight, given the fact this is an art passed down, but you should be able to "get the job done" and improve as you go.

I've used that book and if you have any sewing skills  (I don't) they will come out pretty good.

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
ilyazhito
High Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 09:27:01 PM »

How would you get started? Would you find an existing vestment maker and learn from them, or would you DIY? where can you get patterns?
P.S. I'm interested in learning how to make vestments (I have had some training in iconography and bell-ringing)
Clare G.

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 07:00:11 AM »

Have a look here http://kwvestments.com/opinionated_tailor/ and at her main site.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 11:08:20 AM »

It can be done. My late mother in law used to sew all of the dalmatics for the altar boys in her parish and my wife made a pair of vestments once for my father. It is difficult, but if you hang in there it can be done. There are a number of sites online where you can obtain the fabric and trim, even local fabric stores may have stock that might be appropriate or have books to order from. Good luck!

FYI, my wife used the old vestments for more than a pattern, she took off the metallic galloon and emblem as well as the clasps and reused them in the new set. The remaining material was later burned with other old liturgical items by my father at the Church.
ilyazhito
High Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 10:02:02 PM »

Have a look here http://kwvestments.com/opinionated_tailor/ and at her main site.
Thanks! The book links are very interesting
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: