OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 05:53:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Theodore and Diodore for rich people  (Read 618 times) Average Rating: 0
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« on: June 12, 2011, 05:23:51 PM »

It looks like an interesting book by Fr. John Behr, but at $240 I wonder how many people can afford it:

http://www.amazon.com/Against-Diodore-Theodore-Oxford-Christian/dp/0199569878

The Case Against Diodore and Theodore

This is a landmark work, providing the first complete collection of the remaining excerpts from the writings of Diodore of Tarsus and Theodore of Mopsuestia together with a ground-breaking study of the controversy regarding the person of Christ that raged from the fourth to the sixth century, and which still divides the Christian Church. Destroyed after their condemnation, all that remains of the dogmatic writings of Diodore and Theodore are the passages quoted by their supporters and opponents. John Behr brings together all these excerpts, from the time of Theodore's death until his condemnation at the Second Council of Constantinople (553) - including newly-edited Syriac texts (from florilegium in Cod. Add. 12156, and the fragmentary remains of Theodore's On the Incarnation in Cod. Add. 14669) and many translated for the first time - and examines their interrelationship, to determine who was borrowing from whom, locating the source of the polemic with Cyril of Alexandria.

On the basis of this textual work, Behr presents a historical and theological analysis that completely revises the picture of these 'Antiochenes' and the controversy regarding them. Twentieth-century scholarship often found these two 'Antiochenes' sympathetic characters for their aversion to allegory and their concern for the 'historical Jesus', and regarded their condemnation as an unfortunate incident motivated by desire for retaliation amidst 'Neo-Chalcedonian' advances in Christology. This study shows how, grounded in the ecclesial and theological strife that had already beset Antioch for over a century, Diodore and Theodore, in opposition to Julian the Apostate and Apollinarius, were led to separate the New Testament from the Old and 'the man' from the Word of God, resulting in a very limited understanding of Incarnation and circumscribing the importance of the Passion. The result is a comprehensive and cogent account of the controversy, both Christological and exegetical together, of the early fifth century, the way it stemmed from earlier tensions and continued through the Councils of Ephesus, Chalcedon, and Constantinople II.

I'm hoping it will eventually be available on Kindle and Nook, at a much reduced price.   Smiley

Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 08:21:03 PM »

LOL, I was wondering what this thread could possibly be about.

Yeah, I want this book. I'd always read that ol' Teddy most likely got the shaft. It's interesting to see someone arguing the other side.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 08:40:55 PM »

The Spirit is descended!
It looks like an interesting book by Fr. John Behr, but at $240 I wonder how many people can afford it:

http://www.amazon.com/Against-Diodore-Theodore-Oxford-Christian/dp/0199569878

The Case Against Diodore and Theodore

This is a landmark work, providing the first complete collection of the remaining excerpts from the writings of Diodore of Tarsus and Theodore of Mopsuestia together with a ground-breaking study of the controversy regarding the person of Christ that raged from the fourth to the sixth century, and which still divides the Christian Church. Destroyed after their condemnation, all that remains of the dogmatic writings of Diodore and Theodore are the passages quoted by their supporters and opponents. John Behr brings together all these excerpts, from the time of Theodore's death until his condemnation at the Second Council of Constantinople (553) - including newly-edited Syriac texts (from florilegium in Cod. Add. 12156, and the fragmentary remains of Theodore's On the Incarnation in Cod. Add. 14669) and many translated for the first time - and examines their interrelationship, to determine who was borrowing from whom, locating the source of the polemic with Cyril of Alexandria.

On the basis of this textual work, Behr presents a historical and theological analysis that completely revises the picture of these 'Antiochenes' and the controversy regarding them. Twentieth-century scholarship often found these two 'Antiochenes' sympathetic characters for their aversion to allegory and their concern for the 'historical Jesus', and regarded their condemnation as an unfortunate incident motivated by desire for retaliation amidst 'Neo-Chalcedonian' advances in Christology. This study shows how, grounded in the ecclesial and theological strife that had already beset Antioch for over a century, Diodore and Theodore, in opposition to Julian the Apostate and Apollinarius, were led to separate the New Testament from the Old and 'the man' from the Word of God, resulting in a very limited understanding of Incarnation and circumscribing the importance of the Passion. The result is a comprehensive and cogent account of the controversy, both Christological and exegetical together, of the early fifth century, the way it stemmed from earlier tensions and continued through the Councils of Ephesus, Chalcedon, and Constantinople II.

I'm hoping it will eventually be available on Kindle and Nook, at a much reduced price.   Smiley
Lord grant that we see a mass market for such works!

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 08:47:16 PM »

The Spirit is descended!
From Heaven to Earth!

Lord grant that we see a mass market for such works!
Well, I'm of two minds about that. Popularity tends to water down the quality when it comes to scholarship  laugh.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 09:33:22 PM »

I prefer this prayer:

Lord grant that someone will give me a grant to buy scholarly Orthodox works!

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 09:47:24 PM »

Hi Salpy,

You may want to revise the title of this thread to:

'Theodore and Diodore for rich people (or people like EkhristosAnesti who have extremely cheap annual membership to awesome libraries that are in the habit of acquiring the best and latest of theological publications--particularly those by Orthodox Christian authors)'.

laugh

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 09:59:38 PM »

The library near where I live just has really old yucky copies of stuff like Stephen King novels.

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 11:10:15 PM »

The library near where I live just has really old yucky copies of stuff like Stephen King novels.

All of the libraries in my county that participate in the inter-library exchange program (which includes almost every library in the county, even high school ones, the community college one, and the libraries of the few private colleges in the county) have a total of like 5 Orthodox books...and none anywhere similar to this

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 11:24:24 PM »

All of the libraries in my county that participate in the inter-library exchange program (which includes almost every library in the county, even high school ones, the community college one, and the libraries of the few private colleges in the county) have a total of like 5 Orthodox books...and none anywhere similar to this
Same. It's pretty lame. One day I was doing business in D.C. and went to the B&N by...I think it was Dupont? Don't remember. But what a jackpot! There were a grand total of 5 Orthodox books. I bought 3 of them.  Wink I know the Religion bookshelves in our local bookstores inside and out. The Catholic and Orthodox section is pretty much 100% Catholic.

I hate that some of the books are so expensive. I hope that more people will be converting Orthodox books to Kindle format -- good Kindle format. Some of them that are up there are complete doozies (spelling and formatting errors, random symbols in the text). Still, I'm downloading them because it's better than nothing.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 11:53:56 PM »

D.C. has a good Barnes and Noble.  The one I normally go to (rarely to buy, Amazon is a much better price, and I am very price conscious) is in the only mall in Prescott, and it has no Orthodox books, not even the OSB.

Tags: Theodore of Mopsuestia 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: