OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 07:40:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about OO synods  (Read 3192 times) Average Rating: 0
maxval

Faith: EO
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian Patriarchate

« on: June 12, 2011, 01:31:53 PM »

Were there any "quasi-ecumenical" OO synods after 451? I mean something like the Synod of Jerusalem (1672) for the EO. Huh
dhinuus
Elder

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 11:22:51 PM »

Were there any "quasi-ecumenical" OO synods after 451? I mean something like the Synod of Jerusalem (1672) for the EO. Huh
The first time the Oriental Orthodox Churches met together after 451 was in 1965 in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. This Conference of the Oriental Orthodox Churches was summoned by His Imeperiel Majesty Haile Selassie I, the last Oriental Orthodox Emperor of Ethiopia. The Coference was attended by:
H.H Pope Kyrillos VI of Alexandria (Pope of Alexandria)
H.H Moran Mor Ignatious Yakub III (Patriarch of Antioch and all the East)
H.H Vazgen I (Armenian Catholicose)
H.H Khoren I (Armenian Catholicose of Cilicia)
H.H Moran Mor Baselious Augen I (Catholcose of the East; India)
H.H Abuna Baselios (Ethiopia)

Such a conference will be impossible now. This happened in 1965 before the seperation/schism between the Syriac Orthodox Church of Antioch and the the Indian Syriac Church.
H.I.M Haile Selassie I opened the conference and two of the heads, H.H Yakub III of Syriac Church and H.H Vasken of the Aremnian Church spoke immediately after the Emperor, thanking the Emperor. H.H Kyrillos was not present at the inauguration. He came in a day late.

The following is from the speech of H.H Ignatious Yakub III, Patriarch of Antioch at the conference.
To you Imperial Majesty and to the people of Ethiopia, especially to our brethren in the Ethiopian Orthodox Church, we and our Bishops bring the warmest regards of the Syrian Orthodox Church all over the world. We have with us in this conference our exalted Brother, Mar Baselios Augen I, the Catholicos of the East, leading a delegation of his ancient Church in India. It gives us great joy to see that in spite of his old age our beloved brother has journeyed from far-off India to Ethiopia to take part in this Conference. May we convey to Your Majesty, the church and people of Ethiopia the warmest greetings also of the Syrian Orthodox Church of India.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 11:28:14 PM by dhinuus » Logged

NULL
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 11:29:08 PM »

The Spirit had descended!

The Third Council of Ephesus was held in the Anatolian city of Ephesus in 475. It was presided over by Pope Timothy II of Alexandria. It was also attended by Peter the Fuller, then Patriarch of Antioch, Paul the Exarch of Ephesus and Anastasius I of Jerusalem. There were reportedly between about 500-700 bishops present at the council. It ratified a recent encyclical of Emperor Basiliscus which condemned the Council of Chalcedon and particularly the Tome of Leo. This council thus constitutes one the most significant synodical condemnations of Chalcedon for the Oriental Orthodox. In response to the accusations of certain Chalcedonians that they, the Non-Chalcedonians, had adopted the erroneous teachings of Eutyches, the attendees of Ephesus III summarily anathematized Eutyches and those of his teachings which compromised the humanity of Christ. Also, the council restored the complete autonomy of the Exarchate of Ephesus (corresponding to the civil Diocese of Asia), which had been compromised at Chalcedon by ascribing authority to the Patriarch of Constantinople over Thrace, Pontus, and Asia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Council_of_Ephesus

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 01:18:49 AM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

The first time the Oriental Orthodox Churches met together after 451 was in 1965 in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. This Conference of the Oriental Orthodox Churches was summoned by His Imeperiel Majesty Haile Selassie I, the last Oriental Orthodox Emperor of Ethiopia. The Coference was attended by:

Such a conference will be impossible now. This happened in 1965 before the seperation/schism between the Syriac Orthodox Church of Antioch and the the Indian Syriac Church.
H.I.M Haile Selassie I opened the conference and two of the heads, H.H Yakub III of Syriac Church and H.H Vasken of the Aremnian Church spoke immediately after the Emperor, thanking the Emperor. H.H Kyrillos was not present at the inauguration. He came in a day late.

The following is from the speech of H.H Ignatious Yakub III, Patriarch of Antioch at the conference.
To you Imperial Majesty and to the people of Ethiopia, especially to our brethren in the Ethiopian Orthodox Church, we and our Bishops bring the warmest regards of the Syrian Orthodox Church all over the world. We have with us in this conference our exalted Brother, Mar Baselios Augen I, the Catholicos of the East, leading a delegation of his ancient Church in India. It gives us great joy to see that in spite of his old age our beloved brother has journeyed from far-off India to Ethiopia to take part in this Conference. May we convey to Your Majesty, the church and people of Ethiopia the warmest greetings also of the Syrian Orthodox Church of India.

While there have been many inter-jurisdictional synod meetings between Oriental Churches since 451, yes indeed, I understand the 1965 conference moderated and arranged personally by HIM Haile Selassie as to be the first time we could consider an even remotely, legitimate, eucumenical conference of Oriental Orthodox.  This in fact is both why I am a Rastaman and an Oriental Orthodox, because of the influence and example of Janhoy Emperor Haile Selassie I, who is the true Defender of the Faith.  This spirit of eucemenism has been flowing across Orthodox ever since the 1960s, and we are perhaps closer in spirit now than ever.  It is only since 1965 that both the Orthodox, EO, OO, and even Roman Catholics have all agreed to the Christological terms, "without distinction, separation, confusion, or mixture" which really are the true starting points for the inevitable reconciliation. Want to talk about a Christian sovereign, HIM Haile Selassie even worked towards friendship with the very Pope of Rome who had blessed the bombs dropped on Ethiopia in WWII!  If that isn't love and equality what is? From the Oriental perspective, I think that history will view HIM Haile Selassie in the same kinds of light as Saint Constantine, Emperor Charlemagne, or Czar Nicholas II..

Stay Blessed,
Habte Selassie
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 01:21:16 AM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 02:18:11 AM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

While there have been many inter-jurisdictional synod meetings between Oriental Churches since 451, yes indeed, I understand the 1965 conference moderated and arranged personally by HIM Haile Selassie as to be the first time we could consider an even remotely, legitimate, eucumenical conference of Oriental Orthodox.  This in fact is both why I am a Rastaman and an Oriental Orthodox, because of the influence and example of Janhoy Emperor Haile Selassie I, who is the true Defender of the Faith.  This spirit of eucemenism has been flowing across Orthodox ever since the 1960s, and we are perhaps closer in spirit now than ever.  It is only since 1965 that both the Orthodox, EO, OO, and even Roman Catholics have all agreed to the Christological terms, "without distinction, separation, confusion, or mixture" which really are the true starting points for the inevitable reconciliation. Want to talk about a Christian sovereign, HIM Haile Selassie even worked towards friendship with the very Pope of Rome who had blessed the bombs dropped on Ethiopia in WWII!  If that isn't love and equality what is? From the Oriental perspective, I think that history will view HIM Haile Selassie in the same kinds of light as Saint Constantine, Emperor Charlemagne, or Czar Nicholas II..

Stay Blessed,
Habte Selassie

Yes I! Truly His Majesty was "Defender of the Faith" and a real visionary. I will never question H.I.M.'s judgments or words. His words guide us, and they always lead to Orthodox purity.

I confess that I am wary of our involvement with the WCC, since there are many heretics within that "community." However, I have no doubt that King Selassie saw the WCC as a vehicle through which to promote and spread the Orthodox Tewahedo Faith.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Tags: synod 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: