OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 11:22:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Checking Blood-Sugar During Liturgy...?  (Read 988 times) Average Rating: 0
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: +

« on: June 12, 2011, 09:03:00 AM »

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, but... Suppose you have insulin-dependent diabetes which requires checking one's blood sugar levels to make sure one isn't going to pass out from low blood glucose. You're in the middle of the Divine Liturgy, in the middle of a crowded pew, and you really feel the need to check. Obviously going out of the church to check is ideal, but if this poses some difficulty, is there any rule about cutting oneself in a church that would forbid checking blood-sugar quickly and inconspicuously in the pew during a service?

Thanks in advance.

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 09:12:00 AM »

I'm a diabetic and I never check my sugar in public. I always go to the rest room or some other private place. People don't really want to watch you do this. Besides, wouldn't it be very distracting to thoers during a service? Just sit on the end and run out to your car if needed.

Proverbs 22:7
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 09:30:07 AM »

The Spirit is descended!
I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, but... Suppose you have insulin-dependent diabetes which requires checking one's blood sugar levels to make sure one isn't going to pass out from low blood glucose. You're in the middle of the Divine Liturgy, in the middle of a crowded pew, and you really feel the need to check. Obviously going out of the church to check is ideal, but if this poses some difficulty, is there any rule about cutting oneself in a church that would forbid checking blood-sugar quickly and inconspicuously in the pew during a service?

Thanks in advance.
It's a health issue, not self mutulation.  Think of it like breast feeding in Church, just perhaps more urgent.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 09:30:47 AM »

According to Debrett's Etiquette and Modern Manners, no body fluids should be expelled in public.
Aside from being a distraction, blood letting in public in this day and age is a no-no due to the risk of blood-borne diseases (did you know that 1 in 12 people in the world have some form of Hepatitis? I know! I was shocked too!).
Carry good old jelly beans in your pocket, and if you feel faint, eat one. If you're hypo it will help and if you're hyper it won't make much difference.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 12:46:25 PM »

Can you stand in the back? Also, pin pricking or blood monitoring will soon be a thing of the past for most relatively affluent folks in developed countries.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 01:00:37 PM »

Also, pin pricking or blood monitoring will soon be a thing of the past for most relatively affluent folks in developed countries.
i can hardly wait!

Proverbs 22:7
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: +

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 02:49:57 PM »

Also, pin pricking or blood monitoring will soon be a thing of the past for most relatively affluent folks in developed countries.
i can hardly wait!

Same!!

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 06:07:10 PM »

Thanks in advance.

I am a server and act as reader in the absence of one, and I too am insulin dependent.  I usually make sure that my sugar is good an high before going to Church, and so far that has mostly carried me through the services.  I keep my blood glucose kit and insulin in the car when I am at Church and have only had needed to leave and check it once.  If you have had this despicable disease long enough, you get a pretty good idea of when you are getting low.  My Priest is very accommodating and even has sent an altar server to get me a granola bar once when I came to Church with my glucose levels lower than I wanted them.  That confirmed another thing that my doctor had told me; those around you will tend to notice when you are getting low before you do.  I was still feeling OK for the most part, but he could tell that there was something wrong.  Don't be ashamed to let those to whom you are close know that you have diabetes.  You will find that once they know, they really watch out for you.  The guest priest this morning was getting darn right upset with me when he found out that I had not eaten anything this morning.  I had to explain to him that I took my readings before coming to Church, and at 168, I would usually be pretty good until fellowship hour when I can sink my teeth into a nice doughnut  Smiley

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 12:12:39 AM »

This is a serious issue. I hope everyone here does take it seriously. Guy at work doesn't. Had to shove a can of Coke down his throat when he began to lose consciousness.

Please be careful. And do listen to those around. They *can* often know before you do.

Lord have mercy!

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 12:54:31 AM »

Whether you should or not is up to the priest.  Ask his blessing for something like this.  Also, is your parish tightly-knit? I only ask because, in a tightly-knit parish like mine, where we are all one big loving family, people don't mind it when you do things like breast feed (covered, or course!) or check your blood sugar.  People will understand.  My grandpa had diabetes (very severe, I'm told) and he even had to check his blood sugar at work, the park, or in the store.  When people would see the blood on his finger, he would say he pricked himself while picking a rose for his "dolly" (my grandma  Smiley )
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 12:55:31 AM by trevor72694 » Logged

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 01:45:15 AM »

I would step out, but I always step out to breast feed. I have had to check glucose levels before (I don't take the horrible glucose tolerance test when I am pregnant, I self test 3x a day for a month instead) and I always stepped out to do it. In general there are people that don't want to see you bleed or breast feed. I would rather not alienate or offend people, so I just excuse myself. This would be pretty important for both breast feeding and using a lancet since both can get pretty messy. You never know how long it will take to staunch the bleeding from even a small prick. But I preferred to test on the arm/leg in lieu of my fingers. The callouses I have on my fingers from playing bass made finger testing challenging.
ilyazhito
High Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 09:41:43 PM »

Just ask your priest. If he's reasonable, he'll probably be ok with it.
I once had to drink before services, but i have outgrown that.
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 09:50:45 PM »

I don't understand why this is an "ask your priest" issue. Do you ask your priest if you can leave if you have to go to the bathroom during liturgy? No, you get up and go.

Be reasonable here people.

God created Diabetics and understands their needs. If you need to excuse yourself during liturgy to take care of a medical need, then do so.

This is a common sense issue; not a theological one.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 09:51:42 PM »

What is wrong with sitting in the rear of the Church near the closest restroom and excusing yourself in an emergency?
ilyazhito
High Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2011, 10:16:07 PM »

Yeah, that's right. Anyone would probably understand.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: