OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 06:30:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why bother getting married??  (Read 1666 times) Average Rating: 5
Poppy
OC.net guru

Faith: Muslim
Jurisdiction: Hanbali fiqh

onlytwatsusetwitter
« on: June 12, 2011, 07:39:49 AM »

If someone was to get married properly and to love the person more than their own life and that they can't imagine a life without them in it hardly. To take that risk and to know that there is no marriage in heaven (as i just realised last night reading it!!!!!!) and all that love and risk is for nothing  Huh how can that be right???

Is it because the two become one like the bible says and so there is one spirit now?? (i hope so) and so they are a blended spirit

Is it because heaven is temporary and the new earth is where they can be together??

or is it that people just don't know each other after they die??

Don't give me a fafy answer be clear because this really bothered me when i read it.
Thanks Poppy
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 08:10:49 AM »

Actually, marriage is Eternal. This, in fact, is one of the reasons why our Church has a penitential rite of second and third marriage for widow/ers and divorcees. A second marriage is a compromise to prevent worse harm befalling someone who, say, is a young widower and at risk of falling into fornication. What Christ said was that "in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage but are as the Angels of God in Heaven", but that doesn't mean that those who were married in their earthly lives are not still married at the resurrection. It simply means that our resurrection will be in Glorified bodies and the "demands of the flesh" will be gone. Some Orthodox couples actually "practice for this" during the fasting periods of the Church by abstaining from sexual relations (with mutual agreement), and in the monastery where I worship, men and women must stand on different sides of the nave, even if they are married, but these practices do not mean that the couple is temporarily "not married", rather it seeks to sanctify their love for one another by reminding them that while sex may be an expression of love, it is not the equivalent of love, nor is it the sum total of love.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 08:11:14 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
88Devin12
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 04:32:10 PM »

Marriage is a partnership, a joining together into one of two people. Those two are made into one flesh and are supposed to lead one another into salvation. The only other alternative is monasticism.

OCA: The Sacrament of Marriage
http://www.oca.org/qaindex-sacramentmarriage.asp?sid=3

The Mystery of Marriage by Fr. Meletios Webber
http://www.antiochian.org/node/25159

Mastering the Art of Marriage (Audio Only Podcast):
http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/features/mastering_the_art_of_marriage

The Foundation for a Happy Marriage (Audio Only Podcast):
http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/rlminute/the_foundation_for_a_happy_marriage

Marriage as a Spiritual Resource to Salvation (Audio Only Podcast):
http://ancientfaith.com/specials/episode/marriage_as_a_spiritual_resource_to_salvation

Of course, I'm not married, so I don't feel qualified to give any advice on it. Those links above can help, and of course, as is customary on this site, we'd always suggest you talk to a Priest as well! Smiley
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 04:38:19 PM by 88Devin12 » Logged
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 04:34:04 PM »

Actually, marriage is Eternal. This, in fact, is one of the reasons why our Church has a penitential rite of second and third marriage for widow/ers and divorcees. A second marriage is a compromise to prevent worse harm befalling someone who, say, is a young widower and at risk of falling into fornication. What Christ said was that "in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage but are as the Angels of God in Heaven", but that doesn't mean that those who were married in their earthly lives are not still married at the resurrection. It simply means that our resurrection will be in Glorified bodies and the "demands of the flesh" will be gone. Some Orthodox couples actually "practice for this" during the fasting periods of the Church by abstaining from sexual relations (with mutual agreement), and in the monastery where I worship, men and women must stand on different sides of the nave, even if they are married, but these practices do not mean that the couple is temporarily "not married", rather it seeks to sanctify their love for one another by reminding them that while sex may be an expression of love, it is not the equivalent of love, nor is it the sum total of love.

So then how does Orthodoxy deal with the Levirate question that prompted that verse? The wife is only married to the last guy?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 04:34:41 PM by Volnutt » Logged
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 05:06:43 PM »

I don't want to get into a discussion of multiple marriages i'm confused enough about the one marriage and what happens to their spirits and if they are even going to know each other in heaven.
Tikhon29605
High Elder

May I become Thy Tabernacle through Communion.

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 05:47:58 PM »

Marriage is a partnership, a joining together into one of two people. Those two are made into one flesh and are supposed to lead one another into salvation. The only other alternative is monasticism.

http://ancientfaith.com/specials/episode/marriage_as_a_spiritual_resource_to_salvation

Of course, I'm not married, so I don't feel qualified to give any advice on it. Those links above can help, and of course, as is customary on this site, we'd always suggest you talk to a Priest as well! Smiley

Monasticism is certainly AN alternative, but I hardly think it is the only alternative to marriage.  Your statement makes it sound like single people have no reason to exist at all.  I rather enjoy being single, and I have no intentions of becoming a monk.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 06:30:07 PM »

So then how does Orthodoxy deal with the Levirate question that prompted that verse? The wife is only married to the last guy?
No, which is why a second marriage rite is penitential.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
88Devin12
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 06:37:10 PM »

Monasticism is certainly AN alternative, but I hardly think it is the only alternative to marriage.  Your statement makes it sound like single people have no reason to exist at all.  I rather enjoy being single, and I have no intentions of becoming a monk.

My understanding is that you can either bet a monk, or married. From my readings about Orthodoxy, to remain single your whole life without entering a monastery or into marriage is considered kind of scandalous. I might be wrong, but from what I've read, the only two options are monasticism and marriage.
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 07:15:41 PM »

Is that anything to do with what i've asked??? NO, so do me a favour huh??? Start a new thread because i got no idea WTF you're all talking about.
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 08:00:48 PM »

My apologies, poppy.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 09:18:20 PM »

Devin, I'm not so sure about that.  I've read posts from one ROCOR monk on Monachos, with regards to celibate non-monastic priests, that while some do feel that a person should either be married or a monk/nun, that this is NOT a universal opinion.  In fact, Bishop Jerome of the ROCOR was a celibate non-monastic priest for some time before being elected a bishop.  So I'd say that would suggest that it isn't really scandalous, though perhaps uncommon (in fact, I'd argue that if a person who remains single and non-monastic their whole life is scandalous at all, it is only because of the uncommonness of it). 

As an aside, I know of one very godly man who leads a group for sons of single mothers at a protestant church I used to go to, who has never been married in any of the time I have known him (about 12 years) and to the best of my knowledge never was before, but is in his early forties now (I believe) and will likely never get married (I would at least assume most 40 year olds who have never been married never will be).  What shocks me, is that this has never seemed to scandalize anyone at that church (which really is weird given that protestantism has no monks).

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 09:37:44 PM »

If someone was to get married properly and to love the person more than their own life and that they can't imagine a life without them in it hardly. To take that risk and to know that there is no marriage in heaven (as i just realised last night reading it!!!!!!) and all that love and risk is for nothing  Huh how can that be right???

Is it because the two become one like the bible says and so there is one spirit now?? (i hope so) and so they are a blended spirit

Is it because heaven is temporary and the new earth is where they can be together??

Don't give me a fafy answer be clear because this really bothered me when i read it.
Thanks Poppy

Hi Poppy!

I believe the below from Fr. Thomas Fitzgerald of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese in America neatly answers your question:

God is active in our lives. It is He who joins a man and a woman in a relationship of mutual love. The Sacrament of Marriage bears witness to His action. Through this Sacrament, a man and a woman are publicly joined as husband and wife. They enter into a new relationship with each other, God, and the Church. Since Marriage is not viewed as a legal contract, there are no vows in the Sacrament. According to Orthodox teachings, Marriage is not simply a social institution, it is an eternal vocation of the kingdom. A husband and a wife are called by the holy Spirit not only to live together but also to share their Christian life together so that each, with the aid of the other, may grow closer to God and become the persons they are meant to be. In the Orthodox Marriage Service, after the couple have been betrothed and exchanged rings, they are crowned with "crowns of glory and honor" signifying the establishment of a new family under God. Near the conclusion of the Service, the husband and wife drink from a common cup which is reminiscent of the wedding of Cana and which symbolized the sharing of the burdens and joys of their new life together.

Taken from here.

Hope this helps!

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2011, 10:11:18 PM »

No, which is why a second marriage rite is penitential.
Forgive me, but I couldn't help but make a split topic. http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,37078.0.html
joasia

Jurisdiction: RTOC

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 01:47:36 PM »

Poppy,

To take that risk and to know that there is no marriage in heaven (as i just realised last night reading it!!!!!!) and all that love and risk is for nothing   how can that be right???

- God is Love.  So how can love be less important in His Holy Kingdom?  Marriage is the bond of love, for those who choose marriage as opposed to monastism..  So, in Heaven (God's Kingdom) or when He establishes His Kingdom on earth, for eternity, love is the key.  And the Orthodox holy fathers teach that marriage is for two people to love God together.  Their love for God comes first and in the bond of faith for God, it unites them as children of God and they are together. And look at the icon of Christ's Resurrection.  Christ is holding onto Adam and Eve's hands.  They're still together.  So there are no risks.

- They are not one spirit, but two halves of one.  Adam and Eve are the archetypes.  Marriage unites man and woman as partners.  It's more about being a unity.  Each one still has to face their personal judgements as seperate souls.  So, if the one falls into adultry, for example, he/she is judged by God, but the other, if responsible for driving that person to that sin, will also answer for their sins that made the other fall.  Do you see the seperateness, but unity of it?  It's a great mystery and that's why the Orthodox Church lists it as one of the Holy Sacraments.

- Heaven is also called God's Holy Kingdom and we know that That's not temporary.  It will just be established on earth and transform the earth as we know  it  in a state of complete Holiness  and Perfection.  It will be 1000 times better than marriage.

- Of course we will know each other after we die because we all have God in us and therefore are one with God.  All the lives of saints show that those who have fallen asleep in Christ are recognized and they, in turn, recognize those still living on earth and others who have fallen asleep in Christ.

Stillness,  prayer, love and self-control are a four-horsed chariot bearing the intellect to Heaven. (Philokalia 2: p.308 - #24) - St. Thalassios

The proper activity of the intellect is to be attentive at every moment to the words of God.   (Philokalia 2: p. 308 - # 30) - St. Thalassios
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 02:05:04 PM »

I don't want to get into a discussion of multiple marriages i'm confused enough about the one marriage and what happens to their spirits and if they are even going to know each other in heaven.

Why would one avoid marriage because one is worried about not having one's spouse in heaven? One does not even know if he will get there himself. Marriage and monasticism are paths to salvation, states of living for this age. Self-denial through either is how we arrive at submitting our wills to God's will, so that we may begin here the process of becoming like God. Even those who are not married or monastics can begin this process and make much progress in this life. The life to come is so incomparable to that which is now that it is well nigh indescribable. We have faith, though, that there no one will be disappointed.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2011, 02:13:01 PM »

My understanding is that you can either bet a monk, or married. From my readings about Orthodoxy, to remain single your whole life without entering a monastery or into marriage is considered kind of scandalous. I might be wrong, but from what I've read, the only two options are monasticism and marriage.

There are many holy people who died before tonsure or crowning. The important thing is intention. Not all are called to monasticism, and not all monasteries will just receive everyone, so to say that monasticism is always viable is false. Also, not all people can get married. Some have impediments, others  have not found the right person, etc. Some may chose single, non-monastic life for selfish reasons, but I don't think it's right to saddle them with a burden because they have not been called to either life or circumstances have been such that either outcome is not possible. It is better to remain single, waiting on the will of God, than to enter into marriage or monasticism without the capacity for it. The people who say one or the other have a certain audience in mind, and their words should not be applied across the board, lest souls be ruined or troubled, and not aided.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2011, 03:03:29 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

You misunderstand, in Orthodox marriage is Divine Mystery/Sacrament.  This means it is part of God's plan for our Salvation, equally integrated with Baptism, Holy Communion, and even the Priesthood.  While we may chose to cooperate with the Mysteries, we do not outright chose them, rather God through the Spirit invites us and brings us into them.  We can not on our own chose to commune with the Divine Mysteries, it is truly a mystical invitation to which we can offer only what we are able, our acceptance.  God makes the offers, we can accept or decline, but it is not we who strike up the bargain initially, it is God.

So with Marriage, in Orthodox we believe that God worked to bring about the Marriage, and its God we trust then.  We humans are not perfect and neither are our relationships.  We really have to then get out of this idea that we chose God, rather we should embrace that it is God who chooses us.  Some folks are called then to be Priests, others are called to Marriage, and a few to Virginity, but there is a place in God's kingdom for all likes of people.  We must pray to heed God's calling then and live in the Divine Mysteries.  The Apostles said the same sentiments you are expressing when they said, "If thus is the case, why is it that people even get married?"  But Jesus Christ replied that the celibacy they were inherently suggesting to counter marriage was not something human beings could maintain of their own will, rather He said, "Not all are containing this saying, but those to whom it has been given." 

Be it marriage or celibacy then, it is God who gives it to us, and not of we ourselves..

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2011, 03:19:32 PM »

Is that anything to do with what i've asked??? NO, so do me a favour huh??? Start a new thread because i got no idea WTF you're all talking about.

Dude, conversations grow and expand.  They flow like a river.  You may have started the conversation but you can't be the sole center of attention.  I have learned a lot reading some of the replies in here, there is a lot of wisdom, let's both be attentive!

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2011, 04:12:07 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!
You may have started the conversation but you can't be the sole center of attention.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 04:14:33 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2011, 04:18:25 PM »

Dude, conversations grow and expand.  They flow like a river.  You may have started the conversation but you can't be the sole center of attention.  I have learned a lot reading some of the replies in here, there is a lot of wisdom, let's both be attentive!

"dude" being off topic is completely different. I'm not trying to be the sole center of attention and yeah i DO get allot out of all the other threads i read that i don't post on..... you know.... the ones that expand and grow??? Yeah really!!! But when i ask a direct question and i pacifically ask for people to stay on track then i expect ppl to respect that. Which they did.... Vol started another thread which is great.....everyones happy...... so "dude" SLASH! and jog on because i don't exactly know why you needed to comment on something that was already sorted and we had already moved on.

Inapropriate language removed - MK.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 02:07:13 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2011, 04:20:46 PM »

Thanks Poppy

Hi Poppy!

I believe the below from Fr. Thomas Fitzgerald of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese in America neatly answers your question:

God is active in our lives. It is He who joins a man and a woman in a relationship of mutual love. The Sacrament of Marriage bears witness to His action. Through this Sacrament, a man and a woman are publicly joined as husband and wife. They enter into a new relationship with each other, God, and the Church. Since Marriage is not viewed as a legal contract, there are no vows in the Sacrament. According to Orthodox teachings, Marriage is not simply a social institution, it is an eternal vocation of the kingdom. A husband and a wife are called by the holy Spirit not only to live together but also to share their Christian life together so that each, with the aid of the other, may grow closer to God and become the persons they are meant to be. In the Orthodox Marriage Service, after the couple have been betrothed and exchanged rings, they are crowned with "crowns of glory and honor" signifying the establishment of a new family under God. Near the conclusion of the Service, the husband and wife drink from a common cup which is reminiscent of the wedding of Cana and which symbolized the sharing of the burdens and joys of their new life together.

Taken from here.

Hope this helps!

Thanks handmaidenofgod.... there is allot of really good stuff at that site...... really thanks allot ^.^
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2011, 04:25:04 PM »

Poppy,

To take that risk and to know that there is no marriage in heaven (as i just realised last night reading it!!!!!!) and all that love and risk is for nothing   how can that be right???

- God is Love.  So how can love be less important in His Holy Kingdom?  Marriage is the bond of love, for those who choose marriage as opposed to monastism..  So, in Heaven (God's Kingdom) or when He establishes His Kingdom on earth, for eternity, love is the key.  And the Orthodox holy fathers teach that marriage is for two people to love God together.  Their love for God comes first and in the bond of faith for God, it unites them as children of God and they are together. And look at the icon of Christ's Resurrection.  Christ is holding onto Adam and Eve's hands.  They're still together.  So there are no risks.

- They are not one spirit, but two halves of one.  Adam and Eve are the archetypes.  Marriage unites man and woman as partners.  It's more about being a unity.  Each one still has to face their personal judgements as seperate souls.  So, if the one falls into adultry, for example, he/she is judged by God, but the other, if responsible for driving that person to that sin, will also answer for their sins that made the other fall.  Do you see the seperateness, but unity of it?  It's a great mystery and that's why the Orthodox Church lists it as one of the Holy Sacraments.

- Heaven is also called God's Holy Kingdom and we know that That's not temporary.  It will just be established on earth and transform the earth as we know  it  in a state of complete Holiness  and Perfection.  It will be 1000 times better than marriage.

- Of course we will know each other after we die because we all have God in us and therefore are one with God.  All the lives of saints show that those who have fallen asleep in Christ are recognized and they, in turn, recognize those still living on earth and others who have fallen asleep in Christ.

Thanks again Joasia, really appreciate you breaking it down. I had never thought of marriage as a sacrament but yeah it IS a mystery haha....
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2011, 04:27:01 PM »

We have faith, though, that there no one will be disappointed.

Thanks shanghaiski, lets hope so huh
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2011, 05:48:10 PM »

Dude, conversations grow and expand.  They flow like a river.  You may have started the conversation but you can't be the sole center of attention.  I have learned a lot reading some of the replies in here, there is a lot of wisdom, let's both be attentive!

"dude" being off topic is completely different. I'm not trying to be the sole center of attention and yeah i DO get allot out of all the other threads i read that i don't post on..... you know.... the ones that expand and grow??? Yeah really!!! But when i ask a direct question and i pacifically ask for people to stay on track then i expect ppl to respect that. Which they did.... Vol started another thread which is great.....everyones happy...... so "dude" STFU and jog on because i don't exactly know why you needed to comment on something that was already sorted and we had already moved on.

I'm just saying, your question was an interesting one and has many dimensions.  Ozgeorge gave you a pretty deep answer, one that answered many questions I have had on the subject, but also opened up new questions like the one Volnutt asked.  I have since looked at his thread as well.  If I came off prickish, I sincerely apologize.

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2011, 05:52:39 PM »

"dude" being off topic is completely different. I'm not trying to be the sole center of attention and yeah i DO get allot out of all the other threads i read that i don't post on..... you know.... the ones that expand and grow??? Yeah really!!! But when i ask a direct question and i pacifically ask for people to stay on track then i expect ppl to respect that. Which they did.... Vol started another thread which is great.....everyones happy...... so "dude" STFU and jog on because i don't exactly know why you needed to comment on something that was already sorted and we had already moved on.

I know that such expressions have become commonplace online, but to me, acronyms like "WTF" and "STFU" really pop out and are a bit distracting, they also give the impression that you may be far more upset about something than you actually are, though I don't know if that's the case. So, I wonder, of your kindness, if you could refrain from using them here. Thanks, Poppy.

Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2011, 06:09:30 PM »

fine ok sorry
leave it now lets move on
David Garner
Elder

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2011, 09:37:42 PM »

I see that and raise you......

joasia

Jurisdiction: RTOC

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2011, 12:33:10 PM »

Hi Poppy,

I was reading the Philokalia, Vol. 2, today and came across this teaching by St. Thalassios the Lybian. 

"Love alone harmoniously joins all created things with God and with each other. "  This follows the percept that I was trying to explain above. 

If you haven't heard of the Philokalia, it's in 4 volumes.  It's a compilation by St. Nicodemos of the Mt. Athos who put together great writings by the earlier holy fathers.  There's something in there for everyone.

Joanna

Stillness,  prayer, love and self-control are a four-horsed chariot bearing the intellect to Heaven. (Philokalia 2: p.308 - #24) - St. Thalassios

The proper activity of the intellect is to be attentive at every moment to the words of God.   (Philokalia 2: p. 308 - # 30) - St. Thalassios
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2011, 02:36:49 PM »

"Love alone harmoniously joins all created things with God and with each other. "

I like that!! There is a saying that the Buddhists say which is rli similer that love joins all things together.
Daedelus1138
Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2011, 08:15:30 PM »

Jesus is just saying that in heaven, in the resurrection, the legal issues about marriage will not apply (because basicly the teachers of the law questioning Jesus, are thinking about marriage as a pure legality).  Other than that, I don't think what Jesus says has any deeper meaning.
Tags: marriage 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: