OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 09:23:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Planking is a fine Catholic tradition  (Read 6273 times) Average Rating: 0
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« on: June 12, 2011, 05:34:09 AM »

Did you know that planking is a fine Catholic tradition?

Just take a look at the photos!

According to Wikipedia, “Planking is the act of lying face down with arms to the sides of the body, in unusual public spaces and photographing it.The term “planking” was coined in Australia and became a fad in 2011. “

It is in fact a long standing Catholic tradition

http://jobryantnz.wordpress.com/2011/06/02/did-you-know-that-planking-is-a-fine-catholic-tradition/

Papal Planking

Nave Planking
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 07:29:47 AM »

When I saw the thread title, I thought it was about this:

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Poppy
OC.net guru

Faith: Muslim
Jurisdiction: Hanbali fiqh

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 07:50:36 AM »

I thought it was something to do Matthew 7:5 haha...

Nero

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 08:22:20 AM »

It is how priests become ordained - they lie prostrate at the altar as a sign of obedience and servitude to Christ - "Laying down their lives" in the most physical sense of the term.

ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 08:28:04 AM »

The above examples are all planking fails.

Canonical & Correct Australian planking requires that the planker's arms be at their side (i.e., the whole body is supposed to be resembling a plank of wood).

« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 08:31:47 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 01:20:50 PM »

The above examples are all planking fails.

Canonical & Correct Australian planking requires that the planker's arms be at their side (i.e., the whole body is supposed to be resembling a plank of wood).

How can you not love that enormous island penal colony?

hilarious.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 02:08:36 PM »

Where I come from "planking" has a clearly salacious meaning...

I hoped we were not going down that road...and so we have not.

Praise God...

orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 02:18:03 PM »

I hoped we were not going down that road...

You shouldn't've planted that road sign . . .

elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 05:16:11 PM »

I hoped we were not going down that road...

You shouldn't've planted that road sign . . .

I expect that you are right about that.  But the subject line was something of a shock.

podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 08:27:50 PM »

Having just seen the latest Pirates of Caribbean movie, I thought it was about walking the plank!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 08:28:36 PM by podkarpatska » Logged
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 08:58:31 PM »

Having just seen the latest Pirates of Caribbean movie, I thought it was about walking the plank!

There...you see...that is what makes me a sinner and you a saint.   laugh

Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 09:01:40 PM »

Let's just keep this about the internet sensation of planking as exemplified by the pictures posted by ozgeorge and end all further discussion on the...ahem...other possible meanings of the term.  No harm, no foul, as of yet, and let's keep it that way.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2011, 09:10:09 PM »

Let's just keep this about the internet sensation of planking as exemplified by the pictures posted by ozgeorge and end all further discussion on the...ahem...other possible meanings of the term.  No harm, no foul, as of yet, and let's keep it that way.

I agree.

How did planking start in Australia anyway?

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2011, 10:06:32 PM »

Let's just keep this about the internet sensation of planking as exemplified by the pictures posted by ozgeorge and end all further discussion on the...ahem...other possible meanings of the term.  No harm, no foul, as of yet, and let's keep it that way.

I agree.

Planking in Australia is a Facebook phenomenon which took off in 2009, but has much earlier roots. Actually, it began 12 years ago among two young people in Southwest England who called it "The Lying Down Game". Here is a news report about it two years ago: http://www.thestar.com/news/insight/article/697355
What is interesting from a sociological point of view is, firstly, how quickly the phenomenon spread in Australia (over a matter of weeks thanks to Facebook), which makes interesting study in terms of Social Network Theory. Secondly, the reaction of the authorities to the phenomenon this year smacked of tremendous fear of it. For example in May this year the media was in an uproar about it and people were fired from their jobs for posting photos of themselves planking - even on their own time, police issued statements warning people not to plank etc. It was almost as if the status quo feared that planking was the end of social order in Australia as we know it. This reaction of the authorities is also an example of the power of Social Networks because currently, Social Networks cannot be controlled by the Authorities (which always react with fear and suppression to what they can't control, especially if it can challenge power and authority by refusing to submit). The phenomenon of planking continues to be popular in Australia with an average of over 30 planking photos per hour being posted to the "Planking Australia" Facebook Page and over 13,000,000 post views per month (the population of Australia is 22,000,000, so 13,000,000 represents over half the population).
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 10:28:24 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2011, 10:31:10 PM »

Hi ozgeorge,

For example in May this year the media was in an uproar about it and people were fired from their jobs for posting photos of themselves planking - even on their own time, police issued statements warning people not to plank etc. It was almost as if the status quo feared that planking was the end of social order in Australia as we know it.

Whilst not nearly as intriguing as your sociological take on the matter (which brings to mind the very first incident that made news headlines here--when someone was fined for planking on the boot of a police car), I think the main reason for the disapprobation amongst authorities has simply been their very real and reasonable concern for people's safety. It's worth mentioning that people have actually died from planking. I vaguely recall media reports of two deaths occuring within the course of just 1-2 weeks.

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2011, 10:39:24 PM »

Hi ozgeorge,

For example in May this year the media was in an uproar about it and people were fired from their jobs for posting photos of themselves planking - even on their own time, police issued statements warning people not to plank etc. It was almost as if the status quo feared that planking was the end of social order in Australia as we know it.

Whilst not nearly as intriguing as your sociological take on the matter (which brings to mind the very first incident that made news headlines here--when someone was fined for planking on the boot of a police car), I think the main reason for the disapprobation amongst authorities has simply been their very real and reasonable concern for people's safety. It's worth mentioning that people have actually died from planking. I vaguely recall media reports of two deaths occuring within the course of just 1-2 weeks.
You can't legislate against stupidity. Smiley

akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2011, 10:40:13 PM »

The phenomenon causes me to worry more about the health of Australian brains than the safety of Australian bodies.

Ah, but my biases are showing.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2011, 10:49:29 PM »

The phenomenon causes me to worry more about the health of Australian brains than the safety of Australian bodies.

LOL!
I dunno, it's just a bit of fun. And I guess now that it has become a form of rebellion, it has overtones of the Australian Historical Tradition of rebelling against authority (eg The Castle Hill Rebellion,   Eureka Stockade, The Freedom Ride.) I just wish the young people of Australia would rebel against something a bit more substantial!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 10:50:38 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2011, 11:29:08 PM »

Seems like really lazy parkour.

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2011, 11:33:31 PM »

I just wish the young people of Australia would rebel against something a bit more substantial!
Like dancing at official memorial sites? (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/30/jefferson-memorial-dancing-arrests_n_868719.html - Jefferson Memorial Flash Mob Arrested For Dancing, Protesting Court Ruling (VIDEO))  Wink

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2011, 01:27:00 AM »

Let's just keep this about the internet sensation of planking as exemplified by the pictures posted by ozgeorge and end all further discussion on the...ahem...other possible meanings of the term.  No harm, no foul, as of yet, and let's keep it that way.

I agree.

Planking in Australia is a Facebook phenomenon which took off in 2009, but has much earlier roots. Actually, it began 12 years ago among two young people in Southwest England who called it "The Lying Down Game". Here is a news report about it two years ago: http://www.thestar.com/news/insight/article/697355
What is interesting from a sociological point of view is, firstly, how quickly the phenomenon spread in Australia (over a matter of weeks thanks to Facebook), which makes interesting study in terms of Social Network Theory. Secondly, the reaction of the authorities to the phenomenon this year smacked of tremendous fear of it. For example in May this year the media was in an uproar about it and people were fired from their jobs for posting photos of themselves planking - even on their own time, police issued statements warning people not to plank etc. It was almost as if the status quo feared that planking was the end of social order in Australia as we know it. This reaction of the authorities is also an example of the power of Social Networks because currently, Social Networks cannot be controlled by the Authorities (which always react with fear and suppression to what they can't control, especially if it can challenge power and authority by refusing to submit). The phenomenon of planking continues to be popular in Australia with an average of over 30 planking photos per hour being posted to the "Planking Australia" Facebook Page and over 13,000,000 post views per month (the population of Australia is 22,000,000, so 13,000,000 represents over half the population).

Thanks for this information.

However, statistically speaking 13,000,000 posts views per month could include a person looking at the same photo several times, so 13,000,000 may not represent half the population. Narcissistic youth like to look at their photos and will do so many times.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2011, 01:31:39 AM »

Hi ozgeorge,

How did they die?

Planking does look stupid and seems to be a waste of time.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 01:32:07 AM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2011, 05:02:01 AM »

How did they die?

I suppose they were doing it on some dangerous places and fell.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2011, 08:04:17 AM »

LOL!
I dunno, it's just a bit of fun. And I guess now that it has become a form of rebellion, it has overtones of the Australian Historical Tradition of rebelling against authority (eg The Castle Hill Rebellion,   Eureka Stockade, The Freedom Ride.) I just wish the young people of Australia would rebel against something a bit more substantial!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgbxh8Lsgx4

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2011, 09:42:43 AM »

Did you know that planking is a fine Catholic tradition?

Just take a look at the photos!

According to Wikipedia, “Planking is the act of lying face down with arms to the sides of the body, in unusual public spaces and photographing it.The term “planking” was coined in Australia and became a fad in 2011. “

It is in fact a long standing Catholic tradition

http://jobryantnz.wordpress.com/2011/06/02/did-you-know-that-planking-is-a-fine-catholic-tradition/

Papal Planking

Nave Planking

Grin

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2011, 09:46:37 AM »

LOL!

The Clash said the same thing for years

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: