OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 24, 2014, 10:12:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello - new here  (Read 835 times) Average Rating: 0
wayseer
Disciple

Faith: No longer Anglican

- a student

« on: June 12, 2011, 04:07:02 AM »

Hello All,

I have found my way over here with the help of some friends on another site.

I am Anglican and I studying Theology at Uni.  This last semester we had a Greek Orthodox priest as lecturer and his manner impressed me so much that I attended a Greek Orthodox Church and found that I really enjoyed the Divine Liturgy.

As a result I had several conversation with said priest and am now enrolling in a Orthodox Theological College with the approval of my own Anglican priest.  I am following the path as the present uni course does not pay sufficient attention to the theology of the patristic Fathers, apophatic theology and the part mystery plays in the liturgy.  It is not that I am necessarily thinking of converting but I do think, from my study thus far, that Orthodoxy does hold a deeper appreciation of the Divine Mystery we might call God.

So I will be prowling the boards picking up morsels that fall from the Orthodox table.  And who knows the future?

Lord, in your mercy. 

Not all those who wander are lost.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 04:27:27 AM »

Hello All,

I have found my way over here with the help of some friends on another site.

I am Anglican and I studying Theology at Uni.  This last semester we had a Greek Orthodox priest as lecturer and his manner impressed me so much that I attended a Greek Orthodox Church and found that I really enjoyed the Divine Liturgy.

As a result I had several conversation with said priest and am now enrolling in a Orthodox Theological College with the approval of my own Anglican priest.  I am following the path as the present uni course does not pay sufficient attention to the theology of the patristic Fathers, apophatic theology and the part mystery plays in the liturgy.  It is not that I am necessarily thinking of converting but I do think, from my study thus far, that Orthodoxy does hold a deeper appreciation of the Divine Mystery we might call God.

So I will be prowling the boards picking up morsels that fall from the Orthodox table.  And who knows the future?

Lord, in your mercy. 

Welcome to the forum!!!   Grin

May God guide your endeavors!

you may also enjoy http://www.monachos.net/ 

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
smithakd
Dcn Andrew Smith

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Australia

Orthodox Christian Deacon and Author

intro2orthodoxy
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 06:30:30 AM »

Lord, in your mercy. 

Hi Wayseer,

Welcome to the board, and to Orthodox theology in general!  Great to see others from Australia. Smiley

I hope that you'll find plenty of 'morsels' in these parts - or, at least, people who are willing to share where more can be found.

Again: welcome!

Dcn Andrew Smith

Author: Discover the Church: The Whats and Whys of Orthodox Christianity and Footsteps of the Apostles: 110 ways to promote church growth in your Orthodox parish.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 06:43:35 AM »

Hail fellow countryman well met!

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
wayseer
Disciple

- a student

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 07:06:44 AM »

Thank you - and fellow Australians.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 07:18:55 AM »

Hello and welcome.  Smiley Good luck in school.   angel

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
Poppy
OC.net guru

Faith: Muslim
Jurisdiction: Hanbali fiqh

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 07:22:56 AM »

Hey from over here!!!

there a nice bunch of ppl here
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 04:45:54 PM »

Welcome to the forum. Smiley

May Lord have mercy on your theological studies.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 07:41:38 PM »

Welcome to the forum!

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
88Devin12
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 07:44:12 PM »

welcome wayseer! good to see you over here!
I find this site to be a good refuge from others... You're welcome here!
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 10:51:15 PM »

Welcome, wayseer!

Would it be a great breach of privacy to tell me where you are studying and which priest's lecturing so impressed you? PM would be lovely.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 11:41:42 PM »

Hi!
wayseer
Disciple

- a student

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 03:22:25 AM »

Thanks everyone.

Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 09:54:51 AM »

Dear Wayseer , Welcome to the Convert Issues Forum!

I hope that you will find the Convert Issues forum to be place where you as an inquirer may ask their questions about the Orthodox Faith in a safe and supportive forum.  WE try to provide an understanding of the basic teachings and practices of the Orthodox churches. WE try to keep our answers direct and simple with sources if possible.

For those who are converts, this forum is a safe place to discuss issues that arise after one converts in a safe and supportive forum without retribution or recrimination. WE try to avoid jurisdiction debates and you may find a the topic that will be split and sent the appropriate OC.Net forum to continue the discussion or debate if it strays from the guidelines of our Forum Purpose.

Again I want to welcome you warmly to the Convert Issues Forum and hope you will enjoy your time as a member here.

In Christ,
Thomas
Convert Issues Forum Moderator

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2011, 11:11:55 AM »

Welcome to the Forum!

You'll find many "crumbs" of wisdom falling from this table...and if you are watchful, sometimes entire loaves will come your way!

Once again, welcome and enjoy your stay!

Smiley

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
wayseer
Disciple

- a student

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2011, 03:28:14 AM »

Dear Wayseer , Welcome to the Convert Issues Forum!

I hope that you will find the Convert Issues forum to be place where you as an inquirer may ask their questions about the Orthodox Faith in a safe and supportive forum.  WE try to provide an understanding of the basic teachings and practices of the Orthodox churches. WE try to keep our answers direct and simple with sources if possible.

For those who are converts, this forum is a safe place to discuss issues that arise after one converts in a safe and supportive forum without retribution or recrimination. WE try to avoid jurisdiction debates and you may find a the topic that will be split and sent the appropriate OC.Net forum to continue the discussion or debate if it strays from the guidelines of our Forum Purpose.

Again I want to welcome you warmly to the Convert Issues Forum and hope you will enjoy your time as a member here.

In Christ,
Thomas
Convert Issues Forum Moderator

Thanks you for your welcome and assurance. 

wayseer
Disciple

- a student

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2011, 03:29:04 AM »

Welcome to the Forum!

You'll find many "crumbs" of wisdom falling from this table...and if you are watchful, sometimes entire loaves will come your way!

Once again, welcome and enjoy your stay!

Smiley

Just what I need - a good feed.  Thank you.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: