OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 12:10:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Council of Ephesus 431 - Third Ecumenical Council  (Read 584 times) Average Rating: 0
OnThePathForward

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (former Roman Catholic)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« on: June 11, 2011, 10:32:38 PM »

Hi guys,

I've been digging a bit through the text of the third ecumenical council - The Council at Ephesus (431) as I've read somewhere that this council forbids any changes, additions, etc. to the Nicene Creed.  Does anyone have a link to this text where it declares this?

Thanks guys! Smiley

John Ward

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Korea

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 11:00:57 PM »

The 7th Canon of the Third Ecumenical Council states:

Any bishop who sets forth a faith other than that of Nice shall be an alien from the Church:  if a layman do so let him be cast out.

EDIT: link: http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/npnf214.x.xvi.x.html
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 11:04:44 PM by John Ward » Logged
OnThePathForward

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (former Roman Catholic)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 10:16:15 AM »

Hi John,

Thank you for the reply on this!  When is speaks "that of Nice" is that supposed to mean it pertains to the portion of the creed that was developed at the 2nd Ecumenical Council, which finalized the Nicene Creed as we know it today, or just what was drafted at the 1st Ecumenical Council in Nicaea?
John Ward

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Korea

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 01:30:42 PM »

When you read the input from the Second Ecumenical Council (Constantinople I) as well as the interpretation of Canon VII of the Third Ecumenical Council in the Rudder, you see that the Fathers of both councils held that the Creed was the same. The additions made in Constantinople I were not true additions, but merely a further development of those things set forth at Nicaea, as they did not change the theology or the Faith. The Fathers held that the Creed would be called the Nicene Creed, but only with the words from both Nicaea and Constantinople.

From the interepration of Canon VII as found in The Rudder:

The Councils, which accepted the Creed of the First and that of the Second as one single Creed, called only the Nicene Creed; but not so with the words of the Second Council, held in Constantinople, because they were only a development of what was concisely and implicitly contained  in the Creed of the First Ec. C.  or the Third Council in  the present Canon expressly decreed that no one should be allowed to compose any different faith (or Creed) than  that defined by the holy Fathers assembled in the city of Nicea. And divine Cyril says the same thing in his letter to the Bishop of Antioch. Besides, even the Bishop of Constantinople John, and of Rome Virgilius in writing to Eutychius of Constantinople say but this one thing. And in the fifth convention held in Florence it is written as follows: "These expositions of the Faith, or creeds of the First and Second Councils, or rather the Creed." That the Fathers of the Second Council expanded rather than added to the Creed of the First is attested by the express statements of many.

Hopefully I caught everything. I'm using a PDF version that used OCR so some of the formatting was messed up.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 01:31:59 PM by John Ward » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: