OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 22, 2014, 12:43:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tone of Alleluia for the Wedding ceremony  (Read 1180 times) Average Rating: 0
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« on: June 11, 2011, 12:03:34 PM »

Is there a prescribed tone for the Alleluia at the wedding ceremony with its accompanying stichoi?  Or am I free to choose one?  Thanks.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 04:24:33 PM »

The Prokeimenon is in Plagal 4 so the epistle should be chanted in the same tone and therefore the Alleluia would also be in Plagal 4.

Joseph
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 05:42:02 PM »

The Prokeimenon is in Plagal 4 so the epistle should be chanted in the same tone and therefore the Alleluia would also be in Plagal 4.

Slavs would not use that terminology, it would be referred to as Tone 4 or 'Hlas/Glas' 4 in the Slavonic. Just thought I would mention this so no one is unduly confused!
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

metron ariston

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 07:01:44 PM »

Slavs would not use that terminology, it would be referred to as Tone 4 or 'Hlas/Glas' 4 in the Slavonic. Just thought I would mention this so no one is unduly confused!

Not that I know anything about Slavic music, but I'm pretty sure they would call it Tone 8. Plagal of the First would be Tone 5, Plagal of the Second would be Tone 6, etc.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 12:28:22 AM »

Epistle prokeimena and Gospel alleluias are not always in the same tone, though. 

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

smithakd
Dcn Andrew Smith

Jurisdiction: Australia

Orthodox Christian Deacon and Author

intro2orthodoxy
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 06:51:28 AM »

Always good when Byzantine and Slav practices get wildly confused  Grin

Slav practices have Alleluia verses, whereas Byzantine practices just have 'Alleluia (x3)' and lack accompanying verses, but will chant the epistle itself in a particular tone (which is /nothing/ like the Slavic concept of 'chanting in a tone').

Perhaps scamandrius might be able to specify what jurisdiction this is for?

Dcn Andrew Smith

Author: Discover the Church: The Whats and Whys of Orthodox Christianity and Footsteps of the Apostles: 110 ways to promote church growth in your Orthodox parish.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

metron ariston

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 07:10:15 AM »

Epistle prokeimena and Gospel alleluias are not always in the same tone, though.  

Plagal of the Fourth is still the right answer for the Byzantine tradition.

P.S. But it's from Ga.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 07:11:10 AM by pensateomnia » Logged

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 05:13:19 PM »

Always good when Byzantine and Slav practices get wildly confused  Grin

Slav practices have Alleluia verses, whereas Byzantine practices just have 'Alleluia (x3)' and lack accompanying verses, but will chant the epistle itself in a particular tone (which is /nothing/ like the Slavic concept of 'chanting in a tone').

If the Alleluia verses do not belong in the Byzantine practice then why do all the Greek Epistle books print them? Just because something is not done in your parish does not mean it is not part of the actual practice.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 05:14:22 PM by arimethea » Logged

Joseph
Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 05:53:47 PM »

Not that I know anything about Slavic music, but I'm pretty sure they would call it Tone 8. Plagal of the First would be Tone 5, Plagal of the Second would be Tone 6, etc.

In the Serbian practice, it would be Tone 8.  From what I have in front of me, the Prokeimenon and Alleluias are usually in the same tone for these types of services.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
smithakd
Dcn Andrew Smith

Jurisdiction: Australia

Orthodox Christian Deacon and Author

intro2orthodoxy
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 06:13:49 PM »

If the Alleluia verses do not belong in the Byzantine practice then why do all the Greek Epistle books print them? Just because something is not done in your parish does not mean it is not part of the actual practice.

a) As far as I'm aware, they're not done in a number of eparchies of the Ecumenical Throne.  They're certainly not done in the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia, I'm fairly sure they're not done in the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America or OMHKSEA, and while I'm not certain about Thyateira and Great Britain I don't yet have any reason to think that it would be any different (though would welcome information to the contrary).

b) The fact that something is in the books doesn't mean that it's done.  The canon in the Octoechos is probably the best example of this - while some places might do the full canon (without skipping any of the troparia), few would sing it, so the tone is almost irrelevant for most places.  Fr Seraphim Dedes' work doesn't include the canon, and even HTM's menaion didn't bother setting this to Byzantine meter when they translated, so the reverse can also be true.

c) Again, to answer the question properly, scamandrius would need to say which jurisdiction it's for.

Dcn Andrew Smith

Author: Discover the Church: The Whats and Whys of Orthodox Christianity and Footsteps of the Apostles: 110 ways to promote church growth in your Orthodox parish.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 08:50:42 PM »

You have my head spinning for sure! I was too lazy to get up out of my chair to check the Slavic wedding service book notations as to the proper tone.

Don't we all use a cycle of Eight Tones, the Octoechos, throughout the liturgical year, with some special tones called for at certain times, like the Troparion of the Resurrection, at least in the Galician/Ukrainian and Rusyn slavic traditions? This wiki article is pretty good and it does clear up the terminology of 'plagal' for us Slavs who were confused by the first answer.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octoechos_(liturgy)

« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 08:50:54 PM by podkarpatska » Logged
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 09:15:31 PM »

a) As far as I'm aware, they're not done in a number of eparchies of the Ecumenical Throne.  They're certainly not done in the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia, I'm fairly sure they're not done in the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America or OMHKSEA, and while I'm not certain about Thyateira and Great Britain I don't yet have any reason to think that it would be any different (though would welcome information to the contrary).
It is often a cut common in many parishes, both Greek and Slavic background. Still it doesn't mean that it is not part of the actual practice. I know parishes in the Archdiocese of America who do include the Alleluia verses and OCA and ROCOR parishes that do not include the verses.
b) The fact that something is in the books doesn't mean that it's done.  The canon in the Octoechos is probably the best example of this - while some places might do the full canon (without skipping any of the troparia), few would sing it, so the tone is almost irrelevant for most places.  Fr Seraphim Dedes' work doesn't include the canon, and even HTM's menaion didn't bother setting this to Byzantine meter when they translated, so the reverse can also be true.
Not everything in the book is done due to cuts that are made, that does not mean it is not part of the proper practice.
c) Again, to answer the question properly, scamandrius would need to say which jurisdiction it's for.
On several occasions Scamandrius has indicated that his is part of the Antiochian tradition, but that is not relevant to this discussion because he specifically asked the tone of the Alleluia for the Wedding Service which, seems to be universal in all the source material to be Plagal 4 (or the Eighth Tone for those who do not know how to properly understand the tonal system).  

Joseph
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2011, 09:21:47 PM »

What you have done is confused this discussion even further. The 4th Tone is not the same as Plagal 4. Plagal 4 = the 8th Tone.

Joseph
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2011, 09:26:02 PM »

True, but in publication practice if there is no change in tone it is not marked. Only changes in Tone are marked. So if the Prokeimenon is in Tone 1, it would be marked. If the Alleluia was then in Tone 2 it would be marked to indicate the change but, if it was also in Tone 1 then it would not be indicated because there would be no change in the tone.

Joseph
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2011, 09:40:41 PM »

The actual correct answer, if you are hiring a choir, is that you will get the one that they routinely use. At least, that was true of the choir I sang in.
Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2011, 12:05:02 AM »

(or the Eighth Tone for those who do not know how to properly understand the tonal system).  

You mean like virtually everyone who publishes Orthodox liturgical books?

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2011, 11:28:45 AM »

What you have done is confused this discussion even further. The 4th Tone is not the same as Plagal 4. Plagal 4 = the 8th Tone.

The plagal terminology doesn't translate into Slavic custom, as I explained the nomenclature was foreign to me and I am a trained cantor in the Slavic tradition. The graph in the wikipedia article lays it out clearly. Just because it is Byzantine custom and practice doesn't make it "Big O" orthodox. We have eight distinct tonal melodies whether you use Znammeny, Kievan, Rusyn or whatever.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 11:30:13 AM by podkarpatska » Logged
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2011, 02:10:41 PM »

You mean like virtually everyone who publishes Orthodox liturgical books?

Virtually everyone who publishes Orthodox liturgical books based on the Russian tradition which does not follow the tonal system.
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2011, 10:07:54 PM »

The mystery will be in an Antiochian parish which celebrates according to the Typikon of the Great Church of Christ.

The actual correct answer, if you are hiring a choir, is that you will get the one that they routinely use. At least, that was true of the choir I sang in.

Actually, the entire service will be chanted in the (neo)-Byzantine style.  And as I am a chanter myself, I know that those chanting the wedding could do it in any tone (familiar and not so familiar).

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: