OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 11:22:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: How many times have you visited Mount Athos?
Never - 9 (26.5%)
1 time - 5 (14.7%)
2+ times - 4 (11.8%)
Would like to. - 16 (47.1%)
Total Voters: 34

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: POLL: Have you visited Mount Athos?  (Read 856 times) Average Rating: 0
vorgos

Faith: Orthodox

« on: June 11, 2011, 03:28:29 AM »

The news thread about Mount Athos by CBS got me thinking about how many of us have visited it.

V.
John Ward

Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Korea

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 03:34:28 AM »

I've been there once. I spent about three months there. Once I get out of the military (just a couple more years...), I plan on going back for another extended trip. I've missed it every day since I left.
vorgos

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 03:47:52 AM »

I've been there once. I spent about three months there. Once I get out of the military (just a couple more years...), I plan on going back for another extended trip. I've missed it every day since I left.

I went in 2009 and stayed at Iveron for two weeks. I also went to Vatopaidi with a monk who had some errands and I venerated the relics St John Chrysostom (clearly saw the uncorrupted ear) and a piece of the Belt of the Theotokos.

Truly unforgeable. Hoping to go again, maybe later this year.

V.
John Ward

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 08:51:06 AM »

I went in 2009 and stayed at Iveron for two weeks. I also went to Vatopaidi with a monk who had some errands and I venerated the relics St John Chrysostom (clearly saw the uncorrupted ear) and a piece of the Belt of the Theotokos.

Truly unforgeable. Hoping to go again, maybe later this year.

V.

Iveron is beautiful. If you go back, you must visit Xeropotamou and St. Andrew's Skete outside Karyes. These are the two monasteries I spent most of my time at. Xeropotamou's abbot speaks English (if I recall correctly, he used to teach at Holy Cross), which was very beneficial to me as I was considering staying on Athos. They were working on fixing up St. Andrew's Skete while I was there. As I said, those were the two places I spent most of my time at. I visited a few other monasteries, but those were my favorites.
jaroslavkourakin

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 12:48:59 PM »

Yes I have! I bought that passport paper twice so it counts as two times.

I think a healthy man should be able to be around women in a healthy manner. So I can't agree with places such as Athos. I don't see how it can heal an individual, if they who are there their entire lives don't come to the point where they can have women around.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 01:19:02 PM by jaroslavkourakin » Logged
John Ward

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 01:11:48 PM »

I need to go back for another extended visit.
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 01:41:31 PM »

I think a healthy man should be able to be around women in a healthy manner. So I can't agree with places such as Athos. I don't see how it can heal an individual, if they who are there their entire lives don't come to the point where they can have women around.

It's not that they can't live with women around them. The Holy Mountain has allowed women on several occasions, most recently during WWII. Many monasteres, both male and female, prohibits entry for people of the opposite sex.

Personally, I have never visited Mount Athos, but I would love to do so.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 01:43:24 PM by Ansgar » Logged

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 03:29:59 PM »

Twice last year, hope to go again this year, God willing. The first time I went for 2 weeks and spent most of my time at Hilandar and Konstamonitou, but also visited Vatopaidi, Diochieriou, Esphigmenou, Katounakia, Zographou, and a few places in Karyes. The second time I was only there for 4 days, which I spent at Xiropoutamou (the Abbot, Joseph, is very nice).
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 03:35:40 PM »

I would love to visit, but I fear I would want to stay.
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 03:41:21 PM »

They distract them from their purpose of being there.  Imagine doing homework with some watching television and someone else talking on the phone.  Not an easy task.  Now imagine your goal is to get as close to God as possible and some places the opposite sex right next to you.  It makes things difficult and the task is much harder and important than homework.  It has nothing to do with healthy relationships.  It has to do with you spiritual journey.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 05:48:00 PM »

It's not simply about avoiding temptation. Having mixed communities (and this would be the case even the only women were pilgrims) would create a very different atmosphere and thus a very different form of monasticism. You can get this in countless other monasteries. Monasticism comes in many different forms. Athonite monasticism is one such form - for some it's the most conducive to holiness, for others it isn't. There is no reason why they should change such a fundamental aspect of their way of life to please others.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: