OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 11:31:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rocking in Botswana: a burgeoning metal scene  (Read 369 times) Average Rating: 0
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« on: June 30, 2012, 02:37:41 PM »

Botswana, in southern Africa, is known for its natural beauty and its growing economy. Something else is on the rise there as well: the heavy metal scene.

From the article:
CNN got up close to the hardcore rockers and discovered a passionate retro scene proudly celebrating its African heritage.

While Western head bangers are most commonly associated with sneakers and band t-shirts, Botswana's fans have carved a unique image reminiscent of the 1970s New Wave British heavy metal scene.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 02:46:54 PM »

Cool Smiley

Here are some metal bands from Botswana.

There are many foolish priests out there.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 03:03:22 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Africans have been wary about heavy metal and punk, loud, obnoxious guitar tends to make a lot of folks nervous. Its not that there aren't such bands in Africa, rather, they are not a mainstream.

I think Dave Chappelle explains its best..

perhaps its because "the electric guitar it speaks directly to the soul of the white person"

By electric guitar I think Dave means heavily distorted electric guitar, maybe Africans dig the drum yo Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 03:13:58 PM »

South Africa had a punk scene dating back to 1978, but it was, as Habte notes, mostly the Afrikaaners. Heavy metal fares much better (also in the Middle East), though in most places there isn't much of a distinction made between punk, heavy metal, or whatever else has loud, blaring guitars. When your national instruments are lyres, native drums, and rattles, anything with a guitar and a fast beat is going to seem pretty extreme. Smiley But back in my "punk" days I had contact with bands and people in South Africa, Madagascar, Morocco, Algeria, Kenya, etc., so I know it's out there...

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 03:23:33 PM »

Please don't distribute racist theories on a Christian forum.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 03:24:47 PM by Alpo » Logged
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 03:46:11 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Africans have been wary about heavy metal and punk, loud, obnoxious guitar tends to make a lot of folks nervous. Its not that there aren't such bands in Africa, rather, they are not a mainstream.

I think Dave Chappelle explains its best..

perhaps its because "the electric guitar it speaks directly to the soul of the white person"

By electric guitar I think Dave means heavily distorted electric guitar, maybe Africans dig the drum yo Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

There are so many things wrong with this, I don't know where to start.  I guess I'll begin with the funniest part-
1. White guys who want so much to be black are HIlarious. 
2. Jimi Hendrix, Living Colour, Lenny Kravitz, Tony Butler and countless others prove the "white soul" nonsense as racist.
3. Africans who have immigrated to England have contributed to the punk scene.
4. Check out Afropunk.. 
5. Portraying Africans as simply drummers is racist and just plain dumb

Yo!  Check yoself befo you wreck yoself.  Word!

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 03:53:11 PM »

Boy...some people in this thread are heavy on attitude, not of the PMA variety...leave it to an internet messageboard to take all the fun out of rock'n'roll. Dumb.

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 04:20:14 PM »

^^Habte knows me enough to know I'm just having a little fun while addressing outdated caricatures.  If I were black or African, I'd be really annoyed every time I saw a black man silhouette superimposed over the African continent just as I'm annoyed when I see Irish or Ireland superimposed over a whiskey bottle every St. Patrick's Day.  
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 04:21:38 PM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 04:10:39 PM »

(this thread taking itself waaaay to seriously)

Roll Eyes

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 04:19:03 PM »

There are many foolish priests out there.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 04:55:23 PM »

+1

oi oi

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2012, 06:11:24 PM »

White guys like Chuck Berry, Jimi Hendrix, and Bob Marley?

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: