OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 04:42:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Two New WR ROCOR Priests  (Read 6544 times) Average Rating: 0
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« on: June 10, 2011, 08:07:40 PM »

It is with great pleasure that I announce to you the reception of two new Western Rite Priests in ROCOR.

Fr Michael (Dunstan) of Mississippi will be received by chierothesia from the Former Milan Synod USA tomorrow at the cathedral by His Grace Bishop Jerome.

Fr Aidan Alvin (Kimel) of Virginia [a well known member of OC.net] is being received from the Roman Catholic priesthood by chierotonia as a deacon tomorrow and a priest on Sunday.

And the Lord added to their number.

Fr Anthony

Pastoral Vicar for Western Rite

ROCOR
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 08:22:29 PM »

It is with great pleasure that I announce to you the reception of two new Western Rite Priests in ROCOR.

Fr Michael (Dunstan) of Mississippi will be received by chierothesia from the Former Milan Synod USA tomorrow at the cathedral by His Grace Bishop Jerome.

Fr Aidan Alvin (Kimel) of Virginia [a well known member of OC.net] is being received from the Roman Catholic priesthood by chierotonia as a deacon tomorrow and a priest on Sunday.

Fr Anthony

ROCOR

I had no idea about Fr. Kimel! I know him! He and his wife attend our parish Smiley May God grant them many years!

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 08:46:09 PM »

Fr Anthony

ROCOR

Do you by any chance have a link so I can share the good news with others? I imagine the WR Fraternity webpage will be updated soon to reflect this. I am just overjoyed at this news.

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 08:49:35 PM »

Fr Anthony

ROCOR

Do you by any chance have a link so I can share the good news with others? I imagine the WR Fraternity webpage will be updated soon to reflect this. I am just overjoyed at this news.

In Christ,
Andrew

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Occidentalis/message/19842
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 10:04:07 PM »

Fr Anthony

ROCOR

Father Bless!

Thanks for sharing this wonderful news.

God grant them many years. Axios.

Respectfully in Christ,
Maria
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 10:04:25 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 10:50:13 PM »

Glory to God! Axios! Many years!

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ICXCNIKA
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 11:36:02 PM »

Axios! Many Years!
bogdan
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 12:17:07 AM »

Axios!
zekarja
High Elder

O Holy Prophet Zechariah, intercede to God for us!

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011, 12:46:23 AM »

Axios!

Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2011, 01:11:50 AM »

I'm just so excited and can't get over this. He and I went out to lunch about a year ago and said he wanted to become an Orthodox priest as he had stopped active ministry when he and his wife moved to VA, I believe, but I cannot speak for him as to why. He didn't tell anyone, though I bet he told our priest.  laugh How great! AXIOS!!

In Christ,
Andrew

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2011, 02:22:13 AM »

Does Father Aidan Alvin (Kimel) have a blog?

I thought I read it about a year or so ago.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2011, 11:36:38 AM »

Many years.  angel
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2011, 02:10:22 PM »

Fr. Kimel become rector, in 1996, of Holy Communion, an Episcopal parish in the Holy City, Charleston, SC.

Fr. Kimel was later ordained a Catholic priest, in 2005.

He authored a blog entitled "Pontifications", in which he proceeded (no pun intended) to discuss his reasons for becoming Catholic.

This is a surprise, but not totally unexpected. Grin
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 02:15:33 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2011, 02:53:46 PM »

Fr. Kimel become rector, in 1996, of Holy Communion, an Episcopal parish in the Holy City, Charleston, SC.

Fr. Kimel was later ordained a Catholic priest, in 2005.

He authored a blog entitled "Pontifications", in which he proceeded (no pun intended) to discuss his reasons for becoming Catholic.

This is a surprise, but not totally unexpected. Grin
I should have seen it coming after his wife was baptized in our church. He was an Episcopalian priest for quite sometime, though. In his case, no one can claim Orthodox disunity exists, because last weekend he was chrismated by an OCA priest (his longtime friend, Fr. Stephen Freeman), ordained in ROCOR, and will be serving alongside Fr. Alban Waggener of Lynchburg (Antiochian). Wink

Many years to Fr. Aidan!

In Christ,
Andrew

Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)

Holy Father Seraphim, Pray to God for us!

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2011, 05:11:51 PM »

Many Years...Axios!

All my hope I place in you, O Mother of God, keep me under your protection!
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2011, 09:53:55 AM »

Father:

Do you know in what part of Mississippi Fr. Michael's work is located?

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
danman916

Faith: Roman Catholic

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2011, 03:32:24 PM »

Can anyone please explain the distinction between chierothesia and chierotonia?
Thanks
Mickey
OC.net guru

Faith: Holy Orthodoxy

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2011, 09:30:06 AM »

Axios!
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2011, 12:12:13 PM »

Can anyone please explain the distinction between chierothesia and chierotonia?
Thanks

I think chierotonia is used because ROCOR does not accept Roman Catholic priestly ordination.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
danman916

Faith: Roman Catholic

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2011, 12:27:52 PM »

Ok,
maybe i should have asked my question a bit more clearer.

Can anyone define these two terms so I can understand the distinction?
Thanks
Synecdoche

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2011, 01:30:13 PM »

Father Aidan (Keller) recently answered this question on another list. I trust he will not mind if I quote him here:

"A Cheirotonia is a full ordination service--a full ordination without omissions or variations.

A Cheirotesia is a procedure which does not include all or even most of the elements of the ordination service but repeats the central ordination prayer and involves imposition of hands upon a clergyman being received, who is typically already vested in sacred vestments.

Regardless of which form is used, after it has happened, the man is definitely an ordained Orthodox clergyman.

In some historical texts, the two forms may be used rather interchangeably, but cheirotonia and cheirotesia are distinct in terms of modern practice and terminology."

Hesychios
perpetual neophyte
Site Supporter

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2011, 05:21:01 PM »

AXIOS!

This is very encouraging and happy news.

"Tradition is the living faith of the dead; traditionalism is the dead faith of the living"
Jaroslav Pelikan
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2011, 12:07:14 PM »

Father Aidan (Keller) recently answered this question on another list. I trust he will not mind if I quote him here:

"A Cheirotonia is a full ordination service--a full ordination without omissions or variations.

A Cheirotesia is a procedure which does not include all or even most of the elements of the ordination service but repeats the central ordination prayer and involves imposition of hands upon a clergyman being received, who is typically already vested in sacred vestments.

Regardless of which form is used, after it has happened, the man is definitely an ordained Orthodox clergyman.

In some historical texts, the two forms may be used rather interchangeably, but cheirotonia and cheirotesia are distinct in terms of modern practice and terminology."

I wonder if they could be compared with "unconditional ordination" and "conditional ordination", respectively. (Apologies if I'm oversimplifying.)

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2011, 12:10:23 PM »

I wonder if they could be compared with "unconditional ordination" and "conditional ordination", respectively. (Apologies if I'm oversimplifying.)
That sounds like a good comparison to me, but I will defer judgment until hearing from those who are far more educated on these matters than I am.

In Christ,
Andrew

Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2011, 01:52:37 AM »

Wow, just saw this about Fr. Kimel.

I'm going to need this.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2011, 09:36:59 PM »

ROCOR's Western Rite continues to enjoy a springtime!

With the Blessing of the Metropolitan, next Sunday, July 10th at St Ambrose of Milan Orthodox Church in Putnam Valley NY,  Steven P. Tolbert will be ordained to the Minor Orders, Subdiaconate, and Diaconate by His Grace Bishop Jerome, Vicar Bishop for Western Rite. Steven is a graduate of St Vladimir’s Seminary and a Lieutenant in the National Guard. He is coordinating four missions in Oklahoma starting with a base at St Brigit of Ireland in Claremore currently under the leadership of Reader Matthew. 

His ordination brings to 30 the amount of priests, deacons and subdeacons in Western Rite in the Fraternity of St Gregory here in North America not counting two deceased ROCOR (Dom Augustine and Dn. Robert) WR Clergy.

Please pray for Steven, his wife Michele, and their twins Anna and Rebecca.  “…. And the Lord added to their number.”

Faithfully,

Fr. Anthony
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2011, 11:04:05 PM »

ROCOR's Western Rite continues to enjoy a springtime!

With the Blessing of the Metropolitan, next Sunday, July 10th at St Ambrose of Milan Orthodox Church in Putnam Valley NY,  Steven P. Tolbert will be ordained to the Minor Orders, Subdiaconate, and Diaconate by His Grace Bishop Jerome, Vicar Bishop for Western Rite. Steven is a graduate of St Vladimir’s Seminary and a Lieutenant in the National Guard. He is coordinating four missions in Oklahoma starting with a base at St Brigit of Ireland in Claremore currently under the leadership of Reader Matthew. 

His ordination brings to 30 the amount of priests, deacons and subdeacons in Western Rite in the Fraternity of St Gregory here in North America not counting two deceased ROCOR (Dom Augustine and Dn. Robert) WR Clergy.

Please pray for Steven, his wife Michele, and their twins Anna and Rebecca.  “…. And the Lord added to their number.”

Faithfully,

Fr. Anthony

Axios! Glory to God!

In Christ,
Andrew

Mexican
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2011, 10:52:05 PM »

Why will Fr. Kimel receive ordination as a priest instead of being received by vesting?
Is this a practice of the ROCOR? Most Churches I know, receive former RC priests by vesting. Thanks
quietmorning
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2011, 10:59:29 PM »

Worthy!! Glory to God!

Many years!!

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2011, 04:59:07 AM »

Why will Fr. Kimel receive ordination as a priest instead of being received by vesting?
Is this a practice of the ROCOR? Most Churches I know, receive former RC priests by vesting. Thanks

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Occidentalis/message/19842

11 June 2011

It is with great pleasure that I announce to you the reception of two new
Western Rite Priests in ROCOR.

Fr Michael (Dunstan) of Mississippi will be received by chierothesia from
the Former Milan Synod USA tomorrow at the cathedral by His Grace Bishop
Jerome.

Fr Aidan Alvin (Kimel) of Virginia is being received from the Roman Catholic
priesthood by chierotonia as a deacon tomorrow and a priest on Sunday.

Fr Anthony

ROCOR

« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 05:00:08 AM by Irish Hermit » Logged
Mexican
Elder

« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2011, 12:25:33 PM »

Thanks for the clarification. I did not read the post correctly. Thank you.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2011, 03:53:31 PM »

No, you were right the first time.  The Roman Catholic priest Fr Kimel was indeed ordained (cheirotonia.)

And my apologies, I did not realise I had answered you by simply repeating the first post.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 03:55:45 PM by Irish Hermit » Logged
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2011, 04:02:51 PM »

No, you were right the first time.  The Roman Catholic priest Fr Kimel was indeed ordained (cheirotonia.)

And my apologies, I did not realise I had answered you by simply repeating the first post.
Fr. Kimel's a member here?

PP

« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 04:07:42 PM by primuspilus » Logged

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2011, 04:43:32 PM »

Yes. He occasionally posts here.

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2011, 04:44:09 PM »

Yes. He occasionally posts here.
Oh wow. I'll have to ask him his user name here on Sunday.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
peteprint
High Elder

« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2011, 07:37:33 PM »

Wonderful! Praise God!
Mexican
Elder

« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2011, 01:20:03 AM »

So, does this mean the ROCOR receives RC priests by ordination while the MP receives RC priests by vesting? Is this due to the fact that Fr. Kimel was once an Anglican minister?
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2011, 03:21:53 AM »

So, does this mean the ROCOR receives RC priests by ordination while the MP receives RC priests by vesting? Is this due to the fact that Fr. Kimel was once an Anglican minister?

Are regular MP bishops allowed to receive RC clergy by ordination?

Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2011, 08:44:27 AM »

I don't believe he was received into the Church by ordination. He was certainly ordained by a ROCOR hierarch. I am pretty sure he was chrismated a week prior.

In Christ,
Andrew

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: