Author Topic: A Modest Request for the Priests here on the board  (Read 561 times)

Offline orthonorm

• BANNED for rules violations
  • Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
  • Faith: DSM 5
  • Jurisdiction: Apostle to the Church of ASD
A Modest Request for the Priests here on the board
« on: June 10, 2011, 12:41:25 AM »
Fathers,

(Is that even the proper way to address a group of Priests?)

It seems that in my thread about how to address clergy outside of the EOC, there was a surprisingly strong consensus on the issue.

One of the things I have noticed is that I do not realize or am not able to remember who is a Priest here, whether EO, OO, RC, etc. without some clue in the username.

I mean no disrespect not addressing you properly, if I am unaware of your clerical status.

Is there a reason for not adding "Fr." to one's username? I just want to avoid any suggestion of disrespect.

Or is there some board feature which shows the clerical status of a member that I am unaware of?

Thanks.

Offline Nigula Qian Zishi

• Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
  • OC.net guru
  • 我美丽的妻子和我。
    • Orthodox Ecclesiology and The World
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Denver
Re: A Modest Request for the Priests here on the board
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 12:53:11 AM »
Fathers,

(Is that even the proper way to address a group of Priests?)

It seems that in my thread about how to address clergy outside of the EOC, there was a surprisingly strong consensus on the issue.

One of the things I have noticed is that I do not realize or am not able to remember who is a Priest here, whether EO, OO, RC, etc. without some clue in the username.

I mean no disrespect not addressing you properly, if I am unaware of your clerical status.

Is there a reason for not adding "Fr." to one's username? I just want to avoid any suggestion of disrespect.

Or is there some board feature which shows the clerical status of a member that I am unaware of?

Thanks.

"Father" is an honorific for monks, deacons, and the presbyteriate, the ones we call "Father" have a true title of monk, deacon, hierodeacon, archdeacon, protodeacon, priest/presbyter, hieromonk, archpriest, igumen, protopresbyter, archimandrite, etc.
在基督
尼古拉
前执事
的博客