OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 31, 2014, 12:36:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Member Approval Implemented  (Read 1105 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« on: June 09, 2011, 06:32:08 PM »

Due to spambots "mutating" and learning how to defeat our preventative measures at registration, and due to the forum software developers not keeping up with this (something OCNet has no control over), I have had to implement administrator approval of new members, a step I never wanted to implement due to the overhead management. But we have to protect members from being exposed to inappropriate conduct.

In Christ,
Fr. Anastasios
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 06:34:06 PM by Fr. Anastasios » Logged

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 12:25:20 AM »

Thank you.

That is going to be a lot of work.
Especially if you have to sort through 20 applications per day or more.

Would the use of member recommendations or member referrals help you in determining which ones are spambots?

In another forum, when I served as an Admin, we implemented moderation for the first 10 posts for non-referred members.

We also asked them to list their baptismal name or patron saint. Usually the spambots had no clue and would use the default, so they were banned. Smiley
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 12:30:07 AM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 02:07:15 AM »

We also asked them to list their baptismal name or patron saint. Usually the spambots had no clue and would use the default, so they were banned. Smiley

St. Botolph.   Smiley

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,32049.msg517974.html#msg517974

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 02:15:19 AM »

That is going to be a lot of work.
Especially if you have to sort through 20 applications per day or more.

There are 1.76 average registrations daily.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 12:19:36 PM »

Since yesterday, there were 33 registrations. Some spammer must have figured out a new trick. Sad

I would like to require faith and jurisdiction to be filled in. That would weed out a lot. The current software doesn't appear to support making a custom field mandatory, though. We'll see what I can do.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 12:21:13 PM by Fr. Anastasios » Logged

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 12:22:22 PM »

Too bad some people don't have better things to do than to create viruses, spam, and worms.
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 12:55:56 PM »

Best of luck to the administration and to any new members coming with good intentions. Some of the material coming from the spambots is pretty awful, so I can see why you took this step.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 01:14:06 PM »

Since yesterday, there were 33 registrations. Some spammer must have figured out a new trick. Sad

I would like to require faith and jurisdiction to be filled in. That would weed out a lot. The current software doesn't appear to support making a custom field mandatory, though. We'll see what I can do.

Some spambots are real persons in Third World countries who are paid per post and who work in sweat shops.
When these normal humans reach 10 posts or whatever the board has set to send private messages, then they spam everyone with PMs.
They must have spent hours sending individual PMs to members and mods alike.
I was the recipient of several spambot PMs.
One spambot sent out more than 100 PMs before they were caught when members reported them.
However, they all posted from the same IP address, so a check revealed that there were 25 spambots using the same IP.
Thus they avoid detection in their initial 10 post moderation which other boards have implemented.
Those PMs could be Nigerian scams, drug advertisements, cosmetics, or clothing stores selling supposedly Indian or Pakistani apparel (American style skirts and dresses).
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 01:27:30 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 01:17:32 PM »

Thanks for mentioning that, Maria. I have the ability to ban by IP address if I notice a large number coming from the same IP.

Please Buy My Book!

wayseer
Disciple

Faith: No longer Anglican

- a student

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 06:42:56 AM »

I would like to acknowledge my gratitude to you as admin for the work you do.  I understand it is not easy yet we get to enjoy the site and what it offers.

Lord, in your mercy protect this site.

Not all those who wander are lost.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 09:32:04 AM »

Thanks for mentioning that, Maria. I have the ability to ban by IP address if I notice a large number coming from the same IP.

Ha, that's the difference between real people and machines!  The spambots come at you a dozen on the same IP address, I probably have three or more IP addresses on here from different computers!
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 08:38:54 PM »

I would like to acknowledge my gratitude to you as admin for the work you do.  I understand it is not easy yet we get to enjoy the site and what it offers.

Lord, in your mercy protect this site.

Thanks so much for your kind words. It really means a lot to me, and the rest of the team. It's hard to believe we've been going at it for 9 years strong now.

Please Buy My Book!

Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 09:51:15 PM »

I think that would be great, not only in terms of weeding out spam, but also helping the flow of conversation. It's difficult enough to guage some posts w/o the nuance of voice, facial expression and body language; the more you know about the poster the better to avoid misunderstandings.
A coupke of times I've been surprised to find out a poster was a guy that I thought was a girl and vice-versa!

Proverbs 22:7
Tags: bots 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: