OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 06:21:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tattoos  (Read 2741 times) Average Rating: 0
mtmamma

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« on: June 09, 2011, 11:21:10 AM »

I noticed that a lot of the women at the Coptic Church I am attending have cross tattoos on their right inside wrist or the back of their hand and I was wondering  why.

Thanks
Seafra

Faith: British Orthodox hopeful

It's in the shelter of each other that people live

Mr.Dougherty
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 12:42:53 PM »

I am not an expert so someone else please chime in.

From my understanding in the coptic tradition the tattoos are a "type" of bearing your cross, Being in such a heavy persecuted area it is a way to stand for Christ and some older generations i have heard almost look at those with out the tattoos as being ashamed of Christ... unfortunately now days its also a way of identifying christian bodies...
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 03:12:20 PM »

One of our members explains it here:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,5844.msg75197.html#msg75197

mtmamma

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 03:18:28 PM »

Thank you both.

Salpy what an interesting and enlightening  thread.
copticuser20

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Khen Piekhristos Isoos Penchois

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 04:11:37 PM »

Not just women have it though.  It is for men and women, sometimes found on the upper side of the thumb but usually on the right wrist. I am very proud to have one. It is a great reminder that God is always with me.
mtmamma

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 04:48:19 PM »

Good point, since I sit with the women I never thought that the men might have similar tattoos as I have never seen any of the mens hands.  Cheesy
Gisasargavak

Jurisdiction: Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Church - Holy See of Echmiadzin

Առէ'ք, Կերէ'ք այս է մարմին իմ:

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 11:39:46 PM »

I know that is also a tradition for Armenians to have a similar type of "small cross" tattooed on the inside of their wrist when they first visit Jerusalem.
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 01:42:34 AM »

Generally, I don't think tattoos are a good thing. They appear to be contrary to Leviticus 19:28. I am not sure how seriously Christians are supposed to feel bound by this commandment.
Aram

Faith: Armenian Church

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 01:15:07 AM »

I know that is also a tradition for Armenians to have a similar type of "small cross" tattooed on the inside of their wrist when they first visit Jerusalem.
This is a tradition for Armenians that goes back hundreds of years.  A "Haji" tattoo signifies you have completed a pilgrimage to Jerusalem.  The usual location is on the inner right forearm, but it has become more common in recent years (especially for women) for a tiny cross to be instead tattooed on the inside of a finger or at the wrist where it is inconspicuous or easily covered by a watch or ring.  Ordinarily, the cross is of Armenian design, though some prefer different designs, and will usually have the date of your first pilgrimage inscribed underneath.

I have my Haji from my pilgrimage on my right inner forearm.  They're very, very common in our community, even for priests.  It is additionally tradition that one who makes a pilgrimage can also use the personal title of Haji, though this is less common.  My great grandfather was known to many people as Haji Levon, as he made his pilgrimage as he was emigrating from Turkey to the United States before the Genocide, and I think it's even on his gravestone.

One must understand the special relationship Armenians have with Jerusalem, a presence that goes back (quite literally) to the time of Christ, to understand the importance of the Haji.  The Haji binds you with all others who have prayed in the Holy City, in the Cathedral of St. James in the Armenian Quarter, and reminds you always of your time in Jerusalem.  I carry Jerusalem with me everywhere I go.
Tags: tattoos 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: