OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 24, 2014, 08:44:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Funny: Europe according to the Vatican map  (Read 5116 times) Average Rating: 0
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2011, 09:28:30 PM »

Well, it didn't take long for this thread to veer off course. Tongue

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2011, 10:24:24 PM »

Well, it didn't take long for this thread to veer off course. Tongue

We need a map.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Kasatkin fan
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Archdiocese of Canada

« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2011, 10:55:24 PM »

^ Right.  So it would be a formality.  I'm not implying that formalities have no meaning, but it's not as if his time in the laity would be substantial (or much over 24hrs).
In most juristictions anyway, I suppose I'd expect him to be ordained to the priesthood shortly after. Although my former bishop, IIRC, was an Anglican priest who converted, and had to reattend seminary before he was ordained Orthodox.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2011, 11:16:34 PM »

The Spirit has descended!
Proud citizen and subject of the Papal States!

Long live our sovereign, the Bishop of Rome!

Nice Photoshop. Ratzinger would never wear the tiara. He's a modernist.
LOL. I was waiting for someone else to notice the incongruity.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2011, 11:18:13 PM »

^ Right.  So it would be a formality.  I'm not implying that formalities have no meaning, but it's not as if his time in the laity would be substantial (or much over 24hrs).
In most juristictions anyway, I suppose I'd expect him to be ordained to the priesthood shortly after. Although my former bishop, IIRC, was an Anglican priest who converted, and had to reattend seminary before he was ordained Orthodox.
No Anglican/episcopalian cleric has ever been received into Orthodoxy  as having orders.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
Kasatkin fan
High Elder

« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2011, 11:30:28 PM »

No Anglican/episcopalian cleric has ever been received into Orthodoxy  as having orders.
Never said as much. However Protestant clergy have been accepted and ordained immediatly as clergy, which is what this dialogue has been about.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2011, 11:56:15 PM »

Never said as much. However Protestant clergy have been accepted and ordained immediatly as clergy, which is what this dialogue has been about.

Not the start:
...but if Abp. Rowan was received into Orthodoxy, it would be as a layman.

Why would this be, if others are allowed to make guided transitions into the clergy?  Would it be a formality?
Which was answering this:
I know that according to the Orthodox diptychs of the Catholic Church, he is not, but he is a bishop of Rome, if we are going to use that title for all ecclesiastical communities. Like we call the Episcopalian bishop of Chicago "a bishop of Chicago." Just not a bishop of Chicago like the 3(?) Orthodox bishops of Chicago (we have more, but the others have their titular sees elsewhere).

According to your Ecumenical Patriarch, His All-Holiness Bartholomew, Benedict XVI is "His Beatitude, the Bishop of Rome." Not "layman of the Vatican", as you would prefer to call him. If you have a problem with that, take it up with His All-Holiness, not with me.  Smiley
Many Protestant clergy, even Baptist, have been ordained nearly immediately after being received.  But they have to be ordained: no Orthodox Church has ever recognized Protestant "orders." It is not, for instance, like Protestants' marriages being received when they are. (In fact, the Antiochian archdiocese requires converts to be remarried with the Orthodox service before ordination).

Kasatkin fan
High Elder

« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2011, 12:04:24 AM »

Not the start:
...but if Abp. Rowan was received into Orthodoxy, it would be as a layman.

Why would this be, if others are allowed to make guided transitions into the clergy?  Would it be a formality?
Which was answering this:
I know that according to the Orthodox diptychs of the Catholic Church, he is not, but he is a bishop of Rome, if we are going to use that title for all ecclesiastical communities. Like we call the Episcopalian bishop of Chicago "a bishop of Chicago." Just not a bishop of Chicago like the 3(?) Orthodox bishops of Chicago (we have more, but the others have their titular sees elsewhere).

According to your Ecumenical Patriarch, His All-Holiness Bartholomew, Benedict XVI is "His Beatitude, the Bishop of Rome." Not "layman of the Vatican", as you would prefer to call him. If you have a problem with that, take it up with His All-Holiness, not with me.  Smiley
Many Protestant clergy, even Baptist, have been ordained nearly immediately after being received.  But they have to be ordained: no Orthodox Church has ever recognized Protestant "orders." It is not, for instance, like Protestants' marriages being received when they are. (In fact, the Antiochian archdiocese requires converts to be remarried with the Orthodox service before ordination).

I said dialogue, not conversation.  Wink
Certainly the conversation started otherwise.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2011, 07:01:39 AM »

Nice Photoshop. Ratzinger would never wear the tiara. He's a modernist.

What do you mean by "modernist" and what makes you think His Holiness is one? I've understood that his Catholicism is fairly traditional.

ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2011, 09:55:37 AM »

Was reading about internet "memes" and found this:

http://www.zazzle.com/europe_according_to_the_vatican_poster-228241982411366618

Europe according to the Vatican... Kind of funny...

Warning, it is not politically correct, and may offend some.

Love it!

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2011, 12:36:30 PM »

He's not infallible, so they can throw out anything he says whenever what he says is inconvenient.  Wink

Given that he is leader of only a small percentage of Orthodox Christians, what he says, though valuable, is not the final word.

An interesting comment you make though, your pope is supposedly infallible yet Catholics are always throwing out anything he says that is inconvenient.

Nice job exposing your total ignorance of the dogma of papal infallibility. Time Magazine or the New York Times or the ravings of a guy at the water cooler are not the best sources for clearing up this ignorance.  Roll Eyes
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2011, 06:32:17 PM »

He's not infallible, so they can throw out anything he says whenever what he says is inconvenient.  Wink

Given that he is leader of only a small percentage of Orthodox Christians, what he says, though valuable, is not the final word.

An interesting comment you make though, your pope is supposedly infallible yet Catholics are always throwing out anything he says that is inconvenient.

Nice job exposing your total ignorance of the dogma of papal infallibility. Time Magazine or the New York Times or the ravings of a guy at the water cooler are not the best sources for clearing up this ignorance.  Roll Eyes

You're awfully optimistic.

I don't know what Time Magazine or the New York Times say about Papal Infallibility; but I did spend a lot of time on the Catholic Answers Forum (catholic.com), and you would not believe the amount of ignorance among Catholics concerning P.I.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

Ask w/ tears, seek w/ obedience, knock w/ patience

« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2011, 07:13:47 PM »

I love these maps.  Grin

Me too. It almost always says more about the author than anyone else though.

Authentic zeal is not directed towards anything but union in Christ, or against anything but our own fallenness.

"Beardliness is next to Godliness."- Asteriktos
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: