OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 20, 2014, 10:03:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: British Orthodox Church  (Read 897 times) Average Rating: 1
Poppy
OC.net guru

Faith: Muslim
Jurisdiction: Hanbali fiqh

onlytwatsusetwitter
« on: June 08, 2011, 01:57:43 PM »

How comes the British Orthodox church isn't joined with the other main Orthodox churches?? I know a small bit about the council that the coptic didn't turn up to and so they are outside but what does that mean in practise??

They agree with each other but don't join in together with things??
They don't agree about hardly anything??

Will that be changed by any future meetings that can solve the problem?? or is there a big stumble block that neither can get over??
Thanks Poppy

ps if there's a thread about this then link it and i will go read save everyone having to repost what they said somewhere else.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 02:00:59 PM by Poppy » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 02:03:10 PM »

They are united with the Oriental Orthodox Churches: Coptic, Armenian, Syrian, Ethiopian, Eritrean and Indian.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Poppy
OC.net guru

Faith: Muslim
Jurisdiction: Hanbali fiqh

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 02:36:07 PM »

18 views and 1 diplomatic reply

Worse then mentioning the M word HA!!!  Wink

Ok i will go look it up no worries.
Thanks Poppy
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 02:40:08 PM »

How comes the British Orthodox church isn't joined with the other main Orthodox churches?? I know a small bit about the council that the coptic didn't turn up to and so they are outside but what does that mean in practise??

They agree with each other but don't join in together with things??
They don't agree about hardly anything??

Will that be changed by any future meetings that can solve the problem?? or is there a big stumble block that neither can get over??
Thanks Poppy

ps if there's a thread about this then link it and i will go read save everyone having to repost what they said somewhere else.

The British Orthodox are Oriental Orthodox (Non-Chalcedonian) as opposed to the Greeks, Russians, Serbs, etc. who are Eastern Orthodox (Chalcedon.)  In a nutshell, the difference is that the Oriental Orthodox recognize three councils as Ecumenical, whereas the Eastern Orthodox have more.  This all has to do with a disagreement about how to define the divinity and humanity of Christ (One Incarnate Nature vs. Two Natures, etc.)  

It is of course much more complicated than that, and it has been the subject of much discussion, as well as heated arguments, on this board.  The nastier arguments here get thrown into a private forum.   Smiley

There is a short, non-polemical thread that recently addressed the linguistic differences between us:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,36721.0.html

There are many scholars who have studied the issues and have come to the conclusion that we believe the same thing, despite our different language.  Some others of course disagree with this.  I don't know if unity between us will come any time soon, as there are a lot of other issues to clear up between us, such as what to do with saints who are venerated by one Church while being condemned by the other, etc.  It's something we can pray for, though.   Smiley
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 02:54:06 PM by Salpy » Logged

Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 02:46:47 PM »

Here's another recent thread:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,36381.msg575025.html#top

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 07:06:07 PM »

I know a small bit about the council that the coptic didn't turn up to

That is incorrect. They turned up to it and did not accept the decisions of the majority.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 07:31:16 PM »

For more information on the British Orthodox Church, here is their website:

http://britishorthodox.org/

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 02:19:03 AM »

I know a small bit about the council that the coptic didn't turn up to

That is incorrect. They turned up to it and did not accept the decisions of the majority.
And neither did they them directly at the council. The rejection came later. A reading of the acts of that council shows it concluded, sort of - with the question being left open for them.

I maintain (perhaps naively so) that the council can be considered STILL open and therein the path to reunion.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 02:29:54 AM »

And neither did they them directly at the council.

Saint Dioscorus did.

The rejection came later. A reading of the acts of that council shows it concluded, sort of - with the question being left open for them.

I maintain (perhaps naively so) that the council can be considered STILL open and therein the path to reunion.

Well, the OO Tradition is really founded on a group of Saints who had a consensus rejection of Chalcedon, even if that occurred after Chalcedon, so there really is no accepting Chalcedon without repudiating the history teaching on it. In that sense the status of Chalcedon is not open in OOy.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 02:37:36 AM »

I am not certain Saint Dioscoros was even there.
I wasn't necessarily referring to the OOs in my Open contention but won't argue your point. Neither will I further get into this on the sub-board and topic.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 11:58:37 AM »

I am not certain Saint Dioscoros was even there.

Seriously?

You really need to read up on Chalcedon then.

Tags: Chalcedon British Orthodox Church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: