OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 07:54:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need direction/advice/help  (Read 723 times) Average Rating: 0
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

look into my lovable alpaca eyes

« on: June 08, 2011, 05:20:44 PM »

I'm hoping you all can help me and perhaps give me a little direction.

Background- I was raised non-denominational Protestant, and about 6 months ago I began a journey where- by the grace of God- I came to realize how alien Protestantism is to the Christianity of the early Church... and especially how illogical Sola Scriptura is. I have spent the last six months intensely studying Catholicism and until about a week ago, was ready to embrace it as Christ's true Church. It hit me the other day that it would not be "informed consent"- so to speak- to embrace Catholicism without at least looking into the claims of Orthodoxy- since both claim to be "the Church". I'm embarrassed to admit that Orthodoxy was not even a blip on my radar at the beginning of this journey, and I lament that it was not, because now I have half a year invested in studying and learning Catholicism... and I feel like I'm back to square one. However, it is important to me that I convert and be confident in whichever choice I make- so if I'm ever going to change my mind about Catholicism and Orthodoxy- I'd rather do it now... I hope that I'm making sense.

More than anything, I want to know God more, serve and love Him all the days of my life and receive the sacraments... I'm so afraid of making the wrong choice.  Sad

Can you recommend some sources of info that would give me a little direction in understanding Orthodoxy better? I am overwhelmed. I had always assumed the Catholic assertion that Orthodoxy was pretty much Catholic to be true- but the more I look into it the more I don't see that as the case at all. Any advice- any direction- would be so appreciated.

Thank you all and God bless!

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 06:03:58 PM »

Hi! Welcome, buddy!

If you want books:
That highlight the differences between Catholicism and Orthodoxy in a semi-polemic but insightful way, check out the writings of Fr. John S. Romanides. Patristic Dogmatics might be good.

A general overview of Orthodoxy: The Orthodox Church and/or the Orthodox Way by Metropolitan Kallistos Ware.

For friendly, less theological convert stories and perspectives, check out works by Frederica Matthewes-Green like Facing East.

If you would like to experience "high theology" and "high ecclesiology" from an Orthodox perspective, you might want to read a bit from the new Greek theologians like John Zizoulas's Being as Communion.

If you're interested in the writings of recent Orthodox Elders, you might check out Wounded by Love: The Wisdom and Teaching of Elder Porphyrios, which is actually the current OC.net bookclub book.

If you want websites and podcasts, check out:
Ancient faith radio (www.ancientfaith.com) for American Orthodox podcasts, including lectures by former dean of St. Vladimir's Seminary Fr. Thomas Hopko.

Orthodox Info (http://orthodoxinfo.com/) for your conservative, oft-polemical and just as oft-insightful Orthodox perspectives.

Journey to Orthodoxy (http://journeytoorthodoxy.com/) for various convert stories.

Monachos.net (www.monachos.net): Forum, articles and discussion of Orthodox Patristics.

But more than anything, read the Scriptures and the Church Fathers. www.earlychristianwritings.com has a lot of... well... early Christian writings you might find interesting.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 06:07:10 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 06:08:50 PM »

Er... also, if you have any questions, feel free to post them here!  laugh

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 06:15:42 PM »

Can you recommend some sources of info that would give me a little direction in understanding Orthodoxy better?

For online sources, you could try the following;
* www.orthodoxinfo.com
* http://orthodoxeurope.org/page/10/1.aspx
* http://orthodoxcatechism.org/
* http://www.myocn.net/
* http://ancientfaith.com/

If you'd rather have a book (or to supplement your online experience), you might like;
* Bread & Water, Wine & Oil by Fr. Meletios Webber
* Christ The Eternal Tao by Hieromonk Damascene
* The Way of a Pilgrim by an anonymous Eastern Orthodox Russian
* The Mountain of Silence: A Search For Orthodox Spirituality by Kyriacos Markides
* The Heart by Archimandrite SPYRIDON Logothetis
* The Orthodox Church by Archbishop KALLISTOS (Timothy) Ware

All of the sources above are from an Eastern Orthodox perspective.  If you are looking for Oriental Orthodox, there are many wonderful sources from that perspective as well.

Good luck on your journey!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 06:20:19 PM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 07:06:07 PM »

By Orthodoxy do you mean Eastern Orthodoxy?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 07:44:42 PM »

If you would like to experience "high theology" and "high ecclesiology" from an Orthodox perspective, you might want to read a bit from the new Greek theologians like John Zizoulas's Being as Communion.

You've been on list of OC.net members to meet, this just sealed it.

Could go on and on about my thoughts on Zizioulas' work, but I won't.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 08:20:39 PM »

Thank you all for the resources! This should be a good start I hope.

And sorry I wasn't clear in my post- I mean Eastern Orthodoxy.

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
OnThePathForward

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (former Roman Catholic)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 09:21:21 PM »

Hi ZealousZeal,

My wife and I just recently converted to Eastern Orthodoxy about five months ago.  Our journey took well over a year, so please try not stress and feel overwhelmed.  Throughout my journey I read books, asked questions here, talked with my priest and prayed that God would guide me in the right direction...and when I was ready, I was ready Smiley

One book that my wife and I really found eye opening was a book called "The Truth" by Clark Carlton.  We also have "The Faith" by Carlton as well (but I'll admit I haven't read all of it yet--but what I read was great). 

Early Christian History Books if you're interested in learning more about the Church in the early years:
"Early Christian Fathers" edited by Cyril Richardson.
"Byzantium and the Roman Primacy" by Francis Dvornik (I'm actually in the middle of this right now).

Anyway, you've already received some great suggestions so I think you'll have plenty to start with.  I'm excited for you and pray that you will find your way.

ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 01:34:04 AM »

Thank you! I appreciate the welcomes, information and prayers. Smiley

TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 11:38:54 AM »

being what it is, www.orthodoxwiki.org has been rather helpful for me

SCREW BON JOVI!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print