OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 01:17:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fear of God  (Read 2751 times) Average Rating: 0
Seafra

Faith: British Orthodox hopeful

It's in the shelter of each other that people live

Mr.Dougherty
« on: June 08, 2011, 12:04:35 PM »

Im not really sure where to put this, so sorry if it needs to be moved.

This is something I have wrestled with for a few years now. Growing up baptist the whole fire and brimstone approach didn't even put a dear in me honestly, I have prayed to have this fear of the Lord constantly. What is orthodoxy's approach, i think that my logical mindset has ruined me for this. I hear people be put in fear just thinking about the descriptions of the Throne room, but i have read Hebrews over and over hoping to get some kind of notion and i just don't know what to do anymore. Any suggestions or ideas?
Scott

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 12:17:59 PM »

I'm not sure what your question is.
Are you asking how to have fear of the Lord?

I grew up Baptist, too. Although my church didn't do alot of fire and brimstone preaching, I certainly saw it being done in other churches. It didn't put the fear of the Lord in me, either. And I don't think what they preach is proper fear of the Lord, anyway. I think it's ridiculous.
If what they said was true about God, I'd be more inclined to reject Him out of stubbornness, rather than be threatened into submission.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 12:19:45 PM by Scott » Logged

"To know is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge."
Confucius
Seafra

Mr.Dougherty
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 12:22:00 PM »

I'm not sure what your question is.
Are you asking how to have fear of the Lord?

I grew up Baptist, too. Although my church didn't do alot of fire and brimstone preaching, I certainly saw it being done in other churches. It didn't make me fear Him either. I think it's ridiculous.
If those things are true about God, I'd be more inclined to reject Him out of stubbornness, rather than be threatened into submission.
sorry, yes I an wanting to obtain the fear of God...
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 12:26:32 PM »

Aside from the fact nearly every holy person in the Scriptures when confronted with a manifestation of the Divine found themselves in "fear" (people like to make this word more friendly: "awe").

For me, I read the Sermon on the Mount in Matthew. Then the parable of the Last Judgement. If you believe in Christ, that seems enough to stoke some serious fear.

Also, I still fail not to get a bit fearful during the anaphora, especially when hearing:

Thine own of Thine own we Offer unto Thee, in behalf of all and for all!

My stomach drops every time I hear it.

And you have the sayings of St. Anthony on the fear of God. They are just wonderful:

32. Abba Anthony said, I no longer fear God, but I love Him. For love casts out fear.

33. He said, Always have the fear of God before your eyes. Remember Him who gives death and who gives life. Hate the world and all the things that are in it. Hate all fleshly recreation. Renounce this life, so you may live for God. Remember what you have promised to God, for it will be required of you in the Day of Judgment. Suffer hunger, suffer thirst, suffer nakedness, keep vigil, mourn, weep, lament in your heart. Test yourselves, to see if you are worthy of God. Disdain the flesh, so that you may save your souls.

http://www.groca.org/?p=617

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 12:31:00 PM »

A note on growing up for a while as a Red-Letter-Scofield-Chain-Reference-Leather-KJV-Baptist, I never feared God once "saved". Why should I have been? The simple truth and faith I had in my conversion, which lasted some time, didn't allow me to fear God.

But, I sure as hell was scared for a lot of other people, especially those I cared about who were not saved.

Scott

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 12:34:05 PM »

A note on growing up for a while as a Red-Letter-Scofield-Chain-Reference-Leather-KJV-Baptist, I never feared God once "saved". Why should I have been? The simple truth and faith I had in my conversion, which lasted some time, didn't allow me to fear God.

But, I sure as hell was scared for a lot of other people, especially those I cared about who were not saved.

I know what you mean. As a Baptist I was scared for alot of people who weren't Christians, too.
However, I never really thought of myself as saved. I always assumed I was going to hell.

"To know is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge."
Confucius
Seafra

Mr.Dougherty
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 12:37:24 PM »

I choose not to accept awe in place of fear... The fear of God it's the start of wisdom... And also is places to keep us from sin... Awe and bewilderment don't really fulfill these. But healthy fear would...i guess I just need to keep praying, I know orthodoxy is big on experience which is why I was going for some advice...
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 12:59:20 PM »

Growing up in a Baptist-influenced, evangelical, non-denominational church, I had a very different experience (one I don't know of anyone else having, but I'm sure I'm not the only person).  I always was horribly afraid that my being "saved" wasn't legitimate because I couldn't help but think part of the reason I asked Jesus into my heart was because I was afraid of Hell, and I didn't think it counted if that was the case.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 01:07:15 PM »

Then the parable of the Last Judgement. If you believe in Christ, that seems enough to stoke some serious fear.

Aren't there a few eschatological parables by Christ? Which parable are you referring to?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Seafra

Mr.Dougherty
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 01:16:06 PM »

Growing up in a Baptist-influenced, evangelical, non-denominational church, I had a very different experience (one I don't know of anyone else having, but I'm sure I'm not the only person).  I always was horribly afraid that my being "saved" wasn't legitimate because I couldn't help but think part of the reason I asked Jesus into my heart was because I was afraid of Hell, and I didn't think it counted if that was the case.
I'm pretty sure that is a common thing... I prayed the "all powerful" sinners prayer lyrically every night, but thats not a fear of God it's a lack of trust and faith if you ascribe to that belief but even more so it's your spirit saying it's not quite that easy lol
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 01:49:57 PM »

Then the parable of the Last Judgement. If you believe in Christ, that seems enough to stoke some serious fear.

Aren't there a few eschatological parables by Christ? Which parable are you referring to?

It is the parable of the Last Judgement. It is the "theme" of the Second Sunday before Lent and is in the hymns during Lent and funeral services. There are icons depicting it as well.

Matthew 25:31-46

« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 01:50:15 PM by orthonorm » Logged

akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 09:02:49 PM »

Also, I still fail not to get a bit fearful during the anaphora, especially when hearing:

Me too!

Also, from the Divine Liturgy:

With fear of God, with faith and love, draw near.

It seems faith, love and fear should be held together in approaching God.

Hope this helps.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Seafra

Mr.Dougherty
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 09:19:08 PM »

Me too!

Hope this helps.
not really my problem is obtaining the fear lol...
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 09:28:22 PM »

Me too!

Hope this helps.

Maybe you are more fearful than you think?

I mean, do you acknowledge the Lord's sovereignty over your life and this universe?
Do you wish to live a life well-pleasing to the Lord?
Do you wish to avoid the condemnation which you eat and drink upon yourself by partaking of the mysteries unworthily?
Do you wish to have your name written in the book of Life?
Do you believe that no thing can happen which is not permitted by the Lord to happen?
Do you acknowledge that you are a speck of dust before the infinite ocean which is the Lord?
Do you treat the Lord's holy things with respect?

I would hesitate to offer a definition of fear of God, but surely these are elements of the concept.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2011, 09:37:23 PM »

Dread is a better replacing concept for fear.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2011, 09:42:05 PM »

Is the delivery of that line supposed to be intense? Because whenever my priest says it, it is otherworldly. Doesn't even sound like his voice when he is regularly chanting. I get shivers up my spine.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2011, 09:46:15 PM »

Is the delivery of that line supposed to be intense? Because whenever my priest says it, it is otherworldly. Doesn't even sound like his voice when he is regularly chanting. I get shivers up my spine.

First liturgy I went to, when I really didn't care much for what was going on around me, except charmed by the kids, that moment made an impression. And it continues to become a little more (no good word but yeah, shivers up mine spine works).

Every time, no matter how irritable I am or how much my brain wishes it were somewhere else. That part of the anaphora definitely causes me great pause.

Seafra

Mr.Dougherty
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2011, 10:25:23 PM »

Me too!

Hope this helps.

Maybe you are more fearful than you think?

I mean, do you acknowledge the Lord's sovereignty over your life and this universe?
Do you wish to live a life well-pleasing to the Lord?
Do you wish to avoid the condemnation which you eat and drink upon yourself by partaking of the mysteries unworthily?
Do you wish to have your name written in the book of Life?
Do you believe that no thing can happen which is not permitted by the Lord to happen?
Do you acknowledge that you are a speck of dust before the infinite ocean which is the Lord?
Do you treat the Lord's holy things with respect?

I would hesitate to offer a definition of fear of God, but surely these are elements of the concept.
yes, yes, yes (although i don't get to as I'm not orthodox yet), yes, yes, yes, yes, however these i do as that it simple logic and common sense... i feel no fear compelling these choices, Here is what it comes down to for me, I see the fear of the lord being something that serious hinders one from sinning and draws a great dread when one does sin, however i find my self sinning and i genuinely desire not to but it doesn't bother me the way i would like it to that i sin. I don't hate sin the way i should especially if i were full of the fear of God...
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2011, 10:48:39 PM »

I don't mean this as a dismissive response, but prayer is a very important part of obtaining this.  We acknowledge this within our prayers, and ask to obtain this fear (as many don't have it, or lose it on their own).

One example is found in the prayer to our Guardian Angel, sometimes included in the Small Compline: "...and intercede with the Lord in my behalf, that He might strengthen me in the fear of Him, and make me a worthy servant of His goodness."

It is the parable of the Last Judgement. It is the "theme" of the Second Sunday before Lent and is in the hymns during Lent and funeral services. There are icons depicting it as well.

Mighty instructive icons, if I do say so myself.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2011, 10:56:01 PM »

"Thou shalt not withhold thine hand from thy son or from thy daughter, but thou shalt teach them the fear of God from their youth up."

-The Didache

Wink

(P.S., from the greek as I understand it, it's not referring to beatings. Don't worry.)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 10:56:35 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Seafra

Mr.Dougherty
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2011, 10:57:00 PM »

I wasn't implying prayer is not an effective means of obtaining but was curious about anything else lol more like advice I guess? Thank you for your response
Seafra

Mr.Dougherty
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2011, 10:58:12 PM »

"Thou shalt not withhold thine hand from thy son or from thy daughter, but thou shalt teach them the fear of God from their youth up."

-The Didache

Wink

(P.S., from the greek as I understand it, it's not referring to beatings. Don't worry.)
so how can one be taught the fear of the lord?
Dart
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2011, 01:48:30 AM »

Do you really want what your asking for?
Consider Adam and Eve in the Garden. Blissful and happy. And then they received wisdom and became ashamed. They were then cast out and made to suffer. Having the fear of God is a heavy burden. Better to accept your path as it is given to you then to have the fear of God drive you towards it.
Seafra

Mr.Dougherty
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2011, 01:56:39 AM »

many times we are commanded to have the fear of the lord and it is a promise of the new covenant...
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2011, 02:05:05 AM »

God is uncreated and we are created. God is unlimited and we are limited. God is uncircumscribed and we are circumscribed.

I think the awareness of this reality is part of the Fear of God.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2011, 02:35:49 AM »

many times we are commanded to have the fear of the lord and it is a promise of the new covenant...

Agreed and many Holy Fathers and Elders talk about the importance of having this fear.

God is uncreated and we are created. God is unlimited and we are limited. God is uncircumscribed and we are circumscribed.
I think the awareness of this reality is part of the Fear of God.

I can't agree more.  Awareness of God's magnificence and perfection.  Simultaneously, His ever present interest in our success, and our almost constant failure.
Even then, somehow my fear remains fleeting.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Seafra

Mr.Dougherty
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2011, 02:38:25 AM »

fleeting is an understatement i feel lol... but i guess the desire is a sign im at least on the path right?
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2011, 02:48:52 AM »

I would certainly think so.  A lot of people have a real aversion, for whatever reasons, to obtaining this fear.  They want their New Age god to be like a friendly professor who requires nothing from his students, yet writes overly generous letters of recommendation.

There are many things we shouldn't ask God for, but I wouldn't count the granting of fear towards Him amongst them.

akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2011, 03:01:58 AM »

Is this one of those things where you acknowledge something intellectually but have a tough time feeling it emotionally?

If so, I think I get where you're coming from and must say that I think the answer is to pray.

Seafra

Mr.Dougherty
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2011, 03:27:39 AM »

Ha well i dont really feel much emotionally at all, but my thing is like i said i see the "Fear of the Lord" being something that actually aids us in theosis... Pro 8:13 "The fear of the Lord is to hate evil;..." is one thing i think of... But i guess in the most simplistic way to answer your question yes... lol
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 03:28:19 AM by Seafra » Logged
Poppy
OC.net guru

Faith: Muslim
Jurisdiction: Hanbali fiqh

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2011, 05:07:09 AM »

Are you serious?? I mean i am fearless regarding other people or situations (well most situations i can think of one i am apprehensive about haha...) but everything apart from that one. And i can tell you i have been in some pretty scary situations some of them i thought i was going to die so i don't say that flippently but its because i don't care i know i can handle myself and i'm not scared of dying like some ppl are which makes them afraid and do stupid things when they're in a tricky spot BUT God???

Why the heck do you think i would even be interested in God??? lolOl it's not love that has made me keep interested and ask more questions to the point of seriously thinking of trying to change myself to fit in with God. It's because God (who i have decided exists) is just. Thats it in a nutshell and he might be good (w/eva that means) and he might be love (w/eva that means) and he might be mercifull but he is JUST and justice has a line right down the middle that is clear. Also he has the power to torture and torment ppl for eternity!!!!! Yeah thats pretty scary and as much as ppl say his love and grace and goodness is more prominent or overrides the other stuff (sorry can't think of how i want to say that) i think i would be rli wary of underestimating someone with that much power or even thinking that you are tight with him and finding out you are seriously not. That would be a misjudgement that has got consequences i don't even want to imaging.

Like how can anyone riggle out of THAT??? haha.... it's not like you can talk your way out of something with someone that knows what your heart and mind really think....and trust me i can talk my way out of most things but..... God scares the crap out of me and i don't feel stupid in admitting that. You can't think you know God...... i think allot of ppl think they do....and its going to be a shocker. If reading about him in the bible (not just what people like to tell you...the good bits) doesn't give you the sweats then your DOOMED mate lolOl or your reading a different book to the one i am.

ps im not saying this to be down on you but to give you a different perspective to othr ppl

OFFS there paragraphs!!!! like i care if you read it or not??? frkn baby
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 05:13:07 AM by Poppy » Logged
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2011, 05:10:01 AM »

Poppy,

If you used paragraphs, I might read your posts.

Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2011, 05:15:09 AM »

Poppy,

and ALL of my other posts have paragraphs i just looked so it was only this one.....so dont exagerate

AND...
I have no authority to speak for the Church, and no one person does. I can speak only what I believe.
The only way in which we can know anything about the Trinity is what the Trinity has revealed to us. We can't deduce anything about God, we can't conceptualize God, and we can't simply decide for ourselves what the nature, attributes, relationships etc of God is. Each Person of the Trinity has a unique relationship to each other Person of the Trinity, and God has a unique relation to each created thing, and the only way we can possibly know any of this is if God reveals it to us. God is Absolute, and therefore, the truth about God and His internal and external relationships is also Absolute- this truth cannot be relative. God is one, and the truth about Him and His relationships is also One, and what we know of these has been delivered once and for all through the Apostles and cannot be added to or subtracted from, and the Apostles declare that there is only "one Lord, one Faith, one Baptism". The little we know about the Transcendent Trinity we all once agreed upon. This includes the Truth that the Father is the Eternal Begettor of the Son, as well as the Eternal Source from which the Spirit proceeds. When the Latin Church added the Filioque to the Creed, the relationship between the Persons of the Holy Trinity came to be understood differently. This became even more compounded until Roman Catholics came to believe that the Holy Spirit was "the love between the Father and the Son". This is a different understanding of the Trinity to what Orthodox Christians hold. Now remember, the only way we can know anything about God is if He reveals it to us. So now we have two diverse opinions about the Trinity: one says that the Father is the Source and Begetter of the other two Persons, and the other opinion says that while the Father is the Begettor of the Son, the Spirit is the mutual Love between the Son and the Father and therefore is sourced from both of them. So which one is the revelation of God to humanity? They can't both be, since they disagree with each other. So one of them is the revelation of God, and the other is a creation of human thought and imagination. So one group of believers is worshipping God as He revealed Himself, and the other group of believers is worshipping a God which is a combination of God's revelation mixed with the projection of human imagination. The question "Are they different Gods?" is a tricky one, not for reasons of political correctness, but because we need to understand the implications of this difference. Let's say you invite me to your house for dinner, and I bring along a female companion. I introduce her to you by name and tell you that she and I live together. At some point we ring home to check on the baby sitter. You ask us how long we've been married and we tell you that we are not married. The following Sunday you see us both Communing in Church, and after Services, people ask you about us. What do you say to them if you must tell the truth? You say that we are not married but live together and have a child, and this spreads through the congregation and reaches the Priest. The following Sunday we arrive at Church and are refused Communion, and the Priest asks us to see him after Church. At the meeting we explain that she is my recently widowed sister and nephew who have moved in with me because she could not afford her rent. My sister, myself and my nephew were understood aa one thing and then understood as another. We as persons have not changed, but your understanding and of our personhood and relationship to us have changed- or as we say in common parlance: we are different people to what you thought we were.

THIS is post of the MONTH 2011 May..... you see many paragraphs??? aww shame you wont have read it.... its a blinder...rli great post as well.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 05:20:28 AM by Poppy » Logged
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2011, 05:24:49 AM »

Poppy,

and ALL of my other posts have paragraphs i just looked so it was only this one.....so dont exagerate

AND...
I have no authority to speak for the Church, and no one person does. I can speak only what I believe.
The only way in which we can know anything about the Trinity is what the Trinity has revealed to us. We can't deduce anything about God, we can't conceptualize God, and we can't simply decide for ourselves what the nature, attributes, relationships etc of God is. Each Person of the Trinity has a unique relationship to each other Person of the Trinity, and God has a unique relation to each created thing, and the only way we can possibly know any of this is if God reveals it to us. God is Absolute, and therefore, the truth about God and His internal and external relationships is also Absolute- this truth cannot be relative. God is one, and the truth about Him and His relationships is also One, and what we know of these has been delivered once and for all through the Apostles and cannot be added to or subtracted from, and the Apostles declare that there is only "one Lord, one Faith, one Baptism". The little we know about the Transcendent Trinity we all once agreed upon. This includes the Truth that the Father is the Eternal Begettor of the Son, as well as the Eternal Source from which the Spirit proceeds. When the Latin Church added the Filioque to the Creed, the relationship between the Persons of the Holy Trinity came to be understood differently. This became even more compounded until Roman Catholics came to believe that the Holy Spirit was "the love between the Father and the Son". This is a different understanding of the Trinity to what Orthodox Christians hold. Now remember, the only way we can know anything about God is if He reveals it to us. So now we have two diverse opinions about the Trinity: one says that the Father is the Source and Begetter of the other two Persons, and the other opinion says that while the Father is the Begettor of the Son, the Spirit is the mutual Love between the Son and the Father and therefore is sourced from both of them. So which one is the revelation of God to humanity? They can't both be, since they disagree with each other. So one of them is the revelation of God, and the other is a creation of human thought and imagination. So one group of believers is worshipping God as He revealed Himself, and the other group of believers is worshipping a God which is a combination of God's revelation mixed with the projection of human imagination. The question "Are they different Gods?" is a tricky one, not for reasons of political correctness, but because we need to understand the implications of this difference. Let's say you invite me to your house for dinner, and I bring along a female companion. I introduce her to you by name and tell you that she and I live together. At some point we ring home to check on the baby sitter. You ask us how long we've been married and we tell you that we are not married. The following Sunday you see us both Communing in Church, and after Services, people ask you about us. What do you say to them if you must tell the truth? You say that we are not married but live together and have a child, and this spreads through the congregation and reaches the Priest. The following Sunday we arrive at Church and are refused Communion, and the Priest asks us to see him after Church. At the meeting we explain that she is my recently widowed sister and nephew who have moved in with me because she could not afford her rent. My sister, myself and my nephew were understood aa one thing and then understood as another. We as persons have not changed, but your understanding and of our personhood and relationship to us have changed- or as we say in common parlance: we are different people to what you thought we were.

THIS is post of the MONTH 2011 May..... you see many paragraphs??? aww shame you wont have read it.... its a blinder...rli great post as well.

I didn't read it. My eyes get enough work parsing difficult text. After it was nominated as PotM, I put a note to go through when I have time.

Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2011, 05:31:21 AM »

I didn't read it. My eyes get enough work parsing difficult text. After it was nominated as PotM, I put a note to go through when I have time.
well as long as Seafra reads mine i dont care if you do or not.... like YOU are anyone special that i would be gutted that you didnt read it??? haha.... plenty of other ppl will.....jog on
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2011, 05:36:41 AM »

well as long as Seafra reads mine i dont care if you do or not.... like YOU are anyone special that i would be gutted that you didnt read it??? haha.... plenty of other ppl will.....jog on

Also using proper American English would help as well.

Thanks.

Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2011, 06:37:09 AM »

Also using proper American English would help as well.

Thanks.

Im ENGLISH.... and even when my English is at its BEST i still have dyslexia so it's hard to get everything so correct that YOU would find it acceptable. So.... stop looking down your snottyass nose at me with your superior comments and FO back to the people you feel comfortable with you patronising supercillious mysogynistic knob!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

there you go....a bit of everything in there huh??? Just for you
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 06:43:57 AM by Poppy » Logged
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2011, 06:49:10 AM »

Quote from: Poppy on Today at 12:25:32 AM
crikey

I believe OC.net has rules governing the use offensive language. In the future please keep such words to yourself as they drive me to the edge of insanity.

Thanks.

Oh and BTW... you pick me up on the word "crikey" when you use the word "crap" ? ? ? Not to mention the ....um....proper American English i have underlined and emboldened for your attention. haha...

orthonorm..."Kids like crap to buy. "Christian" kids ain't no different."

So does OC.net have rules about your offensive attitude as well as my language???

Yeah..... bit of a hypocrite huh.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 06:49:48 AM by Poppy » Logged
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2011, 08:30:40 AM »

so how can one be taught the fear of the lord?
Place your hand inside a fire then learn to respect the fire.
Our God is a Fire.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 08:31:33 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2011, 09:13:34 AM »

"...but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God".... Hebrews 10:27

"For our God [is] a consuming fire".... Hebrews 12:29

"To the Israelites the glory of the LORD looked like a consuming fire on top of the mountain".... Exodus 24:17

"For the LORD your God is a consuming fire, a jealous God".... Deuteronomy 4:24

"But be assured today that the LORD your God is the one who goes across ahead of you like a devouring fire. He will destroy them; he will subdue them before you. And you will drive them out and annihilate them quickly, as the LORD has promised you"....Deuteronomy 9:23

"Smoke rose from his nostrils; consuming fire came from his mouth, burning coals blazed out of it"..... 2 Samuel 22:9

"Fire goes before him and consumes his foes on every side".... Psalm 93:3

"The sinners in Zion are terrified; trembling grips the godless: "Who of us can dwell with the consuming fire? Who of us can dwell with everlasting burning?".... Isaiah 33:14

and this one which doesn't fit with what the ozgeorge said but it gives me the heebees...
"It is a dreadful thing to fall into the hands of the living God"..... Hebrews 10:31
Seafra

Mr.Dougherty
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2011, 11:17:50 AM »

i know all the verses i used to read hebrews over and over in hopes it would strike something but it doesn't. and poppy your statements are about as productive as my protestant upbringing... im fully aware of the fire brimstone stuff i even taught it before but it doesn't instill fear in me. I guess more prayer is all i can do...
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 11:18:09 AM by Seafra » Logged
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2011, 12:12:58 PM »

Again my point about lack of the so-called British sense of humor.

Wink

Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2011, 01:20:49 PM »

Again my point about lack of the so-called British sense of humor.

Wink

NO WAY Mr .... im not letting you get away with that. At NO point through your antagonistic posts to me was there even a HINT of a smiley a winky or any indication that you was being humourous so don't even insult me by trying to claim you was only joking now that you been called on it.
You can apolagise or you can remain a spineless hypocrite who cant even say sorry when hes got in someones face (figeratively speaking) when it was CLEAR to you that you had been offensive early on in this little exchange. DONT take me for a idiot.... i might not be as educated as you are but when i know i have needlessly (accidently or on purpose) insulted someone..... i am quick to say sorry if they call me on it.

GEEZ what IS it with religious ppl and there inability to JUST APOLAGISE!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 01:22:25 PM by Poppy » Logged
Seafra

Mr.Dougherty
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2011, 01:23:30 PM »

guys id appreciate it if you could respect me enough and those others here who have expressed difficulty with the topic by remaining on topic and not arguing on the forum PM's are great for that Cheesy
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2011, 01:26:12 PM »

Your right, im sorry Seafra
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: