Author Topic: What on Earth is a purple demon?  (Read 6340 times)

Offline JamesRottnek

• Taxiarches
  • I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine
What on Earth is a purple demon?
« on: June 09, 2011, 07:49:55 PM »
I think the topic title says it all
"Homosexuality has been a popular topic, but not Satanic trances."

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011

Offline John of the North

• Protokentarchos
  • Christ is Risen!
Re: What on Earth is a purple demon?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 08:25:02 PM »
I think the topic title says it all

Demons which cause strife in the lead up to or during fasting periods of the Church. During these times, those who follow Orthodox forums or mailing lists can observe--or even take part in! ;)--an increased level of strife, fighting, short tempers etc. Such instances are usually attributed to the activity of purple demons.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 08:51:17 PM by John of the North »
“Find the door of your heart, and you will discover it is the door to the kingdom of God.” - St. John Chrysostom

Offline JamesRottnek

• Taxiarches
  • I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 09:31:21 PM »
Ah, thank you.  I'd only ever heard the term in connection with fasting, but there had never been enough context to determine exactly what they were.  Thank you.
"Homosexuality has been a popular topic, but not Satanic trances."

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 10:15:09 PM »
Demons are real, but the interest in this specific purple demon thing seems to be a convert related phenomena. Is the concept related to some monastic teachings or one of the various national church sub-customs? I don't think that it is universally known within Orthodoxy.

Offline John of the North

• Protokentarchos
  • Christ is Risen!
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 10:24:46 PM »
Demons are real, but the interest in this specific purple demon thing seems to be a convert related phenomena. Is the concept related to some monastic teachings or one of the various national church sub-customs? I don't think that it is universally known within Orthodoxy.

It's derived from a Greek custom. But I wouldn't really say that purple demons are a convert phenomena--as if that's in and of itself a bad thing. I've seen many people reference them around OC.net.
“Find the door of your heart, and you will discover it is the door to the kingdom of God.” - St. John Chrysostom

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 08:17:59 AM »

It's derived from a Greek custom. But I wouldn't really say that purple demons are a convert phenomena--as if that's in and of itself a bad thing. I've seen many people reference them around OC.net.

Apologies, I meant no offense to converts nor did I mean to imply that convert interest in a subject is intrinsically a bad thing. Growing up in a Slavic cultural tradition I was unfamiliar with the term until I became part of this board. I have learned much from converts' issues and concerns and while sometimes some individuals may become obsessed about one issue or another, that holds true for 'cradle' and 'convert' alike. I suspected that the origins were Greek, but I didn't find an answer with a internet search, just a lot abouta song by the band Deep Purple!  ;)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 08:18:53 AM by podkarpatska »

Offline Melodist

• Archon
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 09:41:25 AM »
I always figured they were named after the purple color of lent when they attack.
And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God

Offline orthonorm

• BANNED for rules violations
  • Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
  • Faith: DSM 5
  • Jurisdiction: Apostle to the Church of ASD
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 09:51:14 AM »
I always figured they were named after the purple color of lent when they attack.

Which bring up the question, why is the color scheme of the main page here still purple?

Offline Melodist

• Archon
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 10:07:22 AM »

Which bring up the question, why is the color scheme of the main page here still purple?

I don't know. I'm currently seeing it as blue. Could it be something in your personal settings?
And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God

Offline orthonorm

• BANNED for rules violations
  • Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
  • Faith: DSM 5
  • Jurisdiction: Apostle to the Church of ASD
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 11:14:15 AM »

I don't know. I'm currently seeing it as blue. Could it be something in your personal settings?

Hit the home selection. Not the main forum page but:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net