OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 10:03:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sign of the Cross  (Read 572 times) Average Rating: 0
neon_knights
High Elder

Faith: Christian

My political hero.

« on: June 08, 2011, 12:02:17 AM »

What is the significance, or meaning, of this gesture?
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 12:46:22 AM »

See here: http://www.orthodox-christianity.com/2011/06/on-the-sign-of-the-cross/

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
joasia

Jurisdiction: RTOC

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 03:36:30 PM »

Great link!  I also make the sign of the Cross over my food, when it's not already blessed by a priest.  And something very interesting too...a friend of mine was in a car accident.  He survived, thanks be to God.  But, when he got out of the car, he made the sign of the Cross over himself.  At the hosiptal, he found out that he had 7 broken ribs.  And the doctor was amazed because one had punctured his lung, but it showed up as healed at the time of the X-ray.  coincidence?  I think not, otherwise why would the doctor be amazed?

Stillness,  prayer, love and self-control are a four-horsed chariot bearing the intellect to Heaven. (Philokalia 2: p.308 - #24) - St. Thalassios

The proper activity of the intellect is to be attentive at every moment to the words of God.   (Philokalia 2: p. 308 - # 30) - St. Thalassios
kijabeboy03
High Elder

"The glory of God is in man fully alive."

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 03:36:10 PM »

Not doubting what you wrote, but how did the doctor know the rib was healed if it was showing up as whole on the x-ray?

"This is the Apostolic Faith, the Orthodox Faith, and the Faith of the Fathers. Having this wonderful treasure, let us preserve it, let us keep it, and let us also use it in such a way that this treasure becomes the victory of Christ in us and in His Church." ~ St. Severus of Antioch ~
joasia

Jurisdiction: RTOC

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 07:12:26 PM »

It was his punctured lung that was healed not his rib.  Maybe the sentence wasn't well put.  I guess the doctor could recognize something that showed a healing.

Stillness,  prayer, love and self-control are a four-horsed chariot bearing the intellect to Heaven. (Philokalia 2: p.308 - #24) - St. Thalassios

The proper activity of the intellect is to be attentive at every moment to the words of God.   (Philokalia 2: p. 308 - # 30) - St. Thalassios
Tags: sign of the Cross 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: