OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 31, 2014, 12:44:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No good way to ask this & trying not to sound blasphemic...  (Read 1464 times) Average Rating: 0
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« on: June 07, 2011, 07:31:30 PM »

Do you think that the human nature of Jesus was ever attracted (without lust) to women?

I can't speak for women, but guys... You know.... somewhere between 13ish - ? there is a pretty strong attraction towards women.   I'm sure many of us experienced lust, but attraction as well.

I'm asking because of the human nature of Jesus.  How can a man "really" be a man that was never attracted to women?

Of course his divine nature could have swallowed up that human attribute, but between 13-25 especially, heh, you guys know, that IS pretty much your human attribute...  (of course I'm joking, but it is VERY strong...)

I'm wondering if he just ignored these things.... or....?

Is there any writings by church fathers, theologians, etc. on this subject?    Especially dealing with the HUMAN nature of Christ.  As a man I just can't come to grips with this.

Thanks

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 07:36:31 PM »

"For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin." St. Paul, Epistle to the Hebrews (4:15, NKJV)

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 07:50:16 PM »

Of course his divine nature could have swallowed up that human attribute, but between 13-25 especially, heh, you guys know, that IS pretty much your human attribute...  (of course I'm joking, but it is VERY strong...)
Yeah, but you answered that question. Even though it seems impossible for us to overcome the sins and not give into temptation, HE HAD DIVINE NATURE. He was able to do what we couldn't do on our own.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 08:02:54 PM »

Of course his divine nature could have swallowed up that human attribute
That's actually the heresy of Eutychianism. No part of Christ's divine nature destroyed/swallowed up/made void his humanity.

I think Fr. Hopko mentioned that Jesus would have, at some point, been tempted by a woman the same way that all men are. If He was tempted with power, temporal bread, and selfish self-preservation (temptations in the desert), why not lust as well?

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 08:04:58 PM »

Given that each of us struggles with different sins, is it enough that Christ experienced temptation or would he have had to experience every category of temptation in order to be fully human?

Serious question.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 08:08:24 PM »

Given that each of us struggles with different sins, is it enough that Christ experienced temptation or would he have had to experience every category of temptation in order to be fully human?

Serious question.
Well, he wasn't tempted with homosexual sex, black-on-black violence, or knocking over someone's television set in anger. And yet he was fully human. To be fully human means to have limitations upon your humanity; being born into a particular time, place and circumstance.

To both you and YeshuaisIAM, I recommend the following podcast that I enjoyed very much:

http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/namesofjesus/jesus_-_the_man

if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 08:11:46 PM »

That's actually the heresy of Eutychianism. No part of Christ's divine nature destroyed/swallowed up/made void his humanity.

I think Fr. Hopko mentioned that Jesus would have, at some point, been tempted by a woman the same way that all men are. If He was tempted with power, temporal bread, and selfish self-preservation (temptations in the desert), why not lust as well?

Well if he looked lustfully, then he would have sinned of course.....

Of course, let me re-state... I'm not speaking of LUST or sin.
I'm speaking of "attraction".  

Do any of you believe (without sin) that Jesus Christ was attracted to women through his human nature?
For instance, if he passed an attractive lady in his day would have he thought "wow!" or got the flutters, or nervous around a lady that he may have "liked"?

There's just so little detail of his teens & twenties.  Perhaps I'm just more curious than anything.

NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 08:15:47 PM »

Do any of you believe (without sin) that Jesus Christ was attracted to women through his human nature?
For instance, if he passed an attractive lady in his day would have he thought "wow!" or got the flutters, or nervous around a lady that he may have "liked"?

There's just so little detail of his teens & twenties.  Perhaps I'm just more curious than anything.
I personally think he was.

Yeah. I think "looking lustfully", in the Sermon on the Mount sense, involves choosing to respond to the temptation towards lust on some level. I was referring to the temptation to lust, but not actual lust.

akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 08:16:51 PM »

Serious question.
Well, he wasn't tempted with homosexual sex, black-on-black violence, or knocking over someone's television set in anger. And yet he was fully human. To be fully human means to have limitations upon your humanity; being born into a particular time, place and circumstance.

To both you and YeshuaisIAM, I recommend the following podcast that I enjoyed very much:

http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/namesofjesus/jesus_-_the_man

This is the answer I hoped for -- and thank you for the podcast!

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 08:20:08 PM »

He may have been attracted to a woman (or to several women over time) in a totally non-lustful way.  However, he also may have been asexual, and therefore attracted to no one, lustfully or otherwise.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 08:29:27 PM »

I personally think he was.

Yeah. I think "looking lustfully", in the Sermon on the Mount sense, involves choosing to respond to the temptation towards lust on some level. I was referring to the temptation to lust, but not actual lust.

Oh okay I understand what you are saying on lust - temptation vs. looking/doing.

Thanks for the podcast btw.

This is a very interesting subject (in curiosity) to me because it would be of great emphasis of the human nature.   Sometimes I try to consider that he probably laughed, told jokes, and played with doodle bugs when he was a kid etc.  Like we don't hear much about the Theotokos changing his diapers or cleaning up after he spilled his Spaghetti O's.  laugh   Arg, I wish there were more stories of him in the "common times" of being a carpenter etc.

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 08:31:09 PM »

Christ is ascended!

you might ask yourself why you are so curious about this.  What difference would the details mean to you?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 09:34:30 PM »

This is a very interesting subject (in curiosity) to me because it would be of great emphasis of the human nature.   Sometimes I try to consider that he probably laughed, told jokes, and played with doodle bugs when he was a kid etc.  Like we don't hear much about the Theotokos changing his diapers or cleaning up after he spilled his Spaghetti O's.  laugh   Arg, I wish there were more stories of him in the "common times" of being a carpenter etc.

A lot of early Christians wondered the same thing, that's why there are so many apocryphal infancy narratives. One gnostic narrative, adopted by Islam, told of how the youngster Jesus made clay birds come to life for fun.  Cheesy

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 11:00:43 AM »

Christ is ascended!

you might ask yourself why you are so curious about this.  What difference would the details mean to you?

It really wouldn't make a "difference" per se.... Except that I would love to see the human nature of Christ more.  I guess when we consider when we are in our 30's that a lot of life has happened, and I would love to know the life of Christ.  Like what did he do when he was 22 years old - etc.   What kind of person was he outside of the ministry.

Perhaps it would help me "relate" to the human nature of God more.

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2011, 11:08:52 AM »

It really wouldn't make a "difference" per se...

I think that we always have to be aware that the mind is going to offer endless curiosities regarding religious, theological and historical questions. There are always going to be contradictions to hone in on, seeming paradoxes, etc. I think the thing that I have to remind myself of the most is that ultimately many of these curiosities are distractions from rather than indicators of a holy life. I know at least I tend to categorize all of this in the "God" section of my brain as if it constituted some spiritual activity to contemplate these kinds of things, but most often it does not.

I'm not discouraging you from asking questions at all, but rather bringing up the very real fact that there are going to be an infinite number of questions which your brain will continue to postulate. So it's really not a matter of getting answers until you are satisfied. I think I'm coming to the realization that often times answers are only given to quiet our minds so that we can get back to praying, or at least trying to pray. The rest is all distractions.

BTW Grammar Police: blasphemic is not a word; here you would use blasphemous.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 11:11:23 AM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2011, 11:26:50 AM »

It really wouldn't make a "difference" per se.... Except that I would love to see the human nature of Christ more.  I guess when we consider when we are in our 30's that a lot of life has happened, and I would love to know the life of Christ.  Like what did he do when he was 22 years old - etc.   What kind of person was he outside of the ministry.

I think I may understand a bit of what you're trying to get at. I spent most of my life as an Evangelical Protestant. Those people are very good at proving that Jesus is God. However, they aren't so strong on His humanity. Many of them would say, "He was a man."

I have found that Orthodoxy puts a proper balance on Christ's divinity and humanity - both are important to our salvation.

It is true that we lack of lot of biographical trivia about Jesus - but how much would be enough? Would we really benefit from knowing many of those details? Interesting, I agree, but not necessary.

That being said, since becoming Orthodox I have noticed how often Jesus is called "a man" in the Gospels - especially the Gospel of John. Do a little search, and you'll find a lot. It has helped me relate to Him as another man.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2011, 12:11:32 PM »

I think that we always have to be aware that the mind is going to offer endless curiosities regarding religious, theological and historical questions. There are always going to be contradictions to hone in on, seeming paradoxes, etc. I think the thing that I have to remind myself of the most is that ultimately many of these curiosities are distractions from rather than indicators of a holy life. I know at least I tend to categorize all of this in the "God" section of my brain as if it constituted some spiritual activity to contemplate these kinds of things, but most often it does not.

I'm not discouraging you from asking questions at all, but rather bringing up the very real fact that there are going to be an infinite number of questions which your brain will continue to postulate. So it's really not a matter of getting answers until you are satisfied. I think I'm coming to the realization that often times answers are only given to quiet our minds so that we can get back to praying, or at least trying to pray. The rest is all distractions.

Thanks for this. Not just the grammar part, but the rest. Great reminder of what I do not do nearly enough of.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2011, 01:07:32 PM »

This is true. And to add to it: Even on the "theoretical" level, the Fathers insist that it's actually bad theology (in fact, it's not theology) to ask hypothetical questions. You are not engaging in theological reflection when so doing, just speculation.

BTW, I shall follow your example on the policing of grammar: One homes (not hones) in on something. For example, pilots, pigeons, and missiles home in on their destinations. Honing, on the other hand, involves whetstones and knives (and, metaphorically, the sharpening of skills).

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2011, 02:02:12 PM »

BTW, I shall follow your example on the policing of grammar: One homes (not hones) in on something. For example, pilots, pigeons, and missiles home in on their destinations. Honing, on the other hand, involves whetstones and knives (and, metaphorically, the sharpening of skills).

Sorry. This is not true. Both are acceptable English usage. They are alternative forms and the history of the phrase is disputed and which usage was earliest is disputed as well. EDIT:I do side on the origin being "home in on".

As a prescriptivist, "hone in on" is by far the most widely used and has been used to mean what "home in on" for quite sometime, thus it is Standard English.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 02:03:00 PM by orthonorm » Logged

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2011, 02:59:12 PM »

Christ is ascended!

God doesn't have a human nature.  God the Son has one.  And how can imputing sin to His human nature make Him more human?  Quite the reverse.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2011, 03:04:33 PM »

Christ is ascended!

God doesn't have a human nature.  God the Son has one.  And how can imputing sin to His human nature make Him more human?  Quite the reverse.

Sorry, you lost me.  God the son is God, he has a human nature.  I completely and utterly believe that the Eastern Orthodox church teaches "God has a human nature through the son".

Temptation is not imputing sin.    Temptation is just temptation.  Imputing is different kind of like saying "what should have been sin".

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2011, 03:16:11 PM »

Sorry. This is not true. Both are acceptable English usage. They are alternative forms and the history of the phrase is disputed and which usage was earliest is disputed as well. EDIT:I do side on the origin being "home in on".

As a prescriptivist, "hone in on" is by far the most widely used and has been used to mean what "home in on" for quite sometime, thus it is Standard English.

Agreed, I've heard and read blasphemic many times.

However, if one can actually show me the authority on the English language and how the authority came to be over the English language I could be convinced. Basically it's a word if we say it's a word. ;o)  Otherwise, we need to the see the authority over the entire language and how the authority of the language came into power.  If there is no true authority of the language then those who correct it are victims of a delusion that there is an authority over it.  Ever xerox anything?

The actual authority over grammar is only in your head, unless of course you are a "subject" of the social delusion or care that people judge you. 

Pride is a deadly sin. ;o)

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2011, 03:28:22 PM »

Agreed, I've heard and read blasphemic many times.

However, if one can actually show me the authority on the English language and how the authority came to be over the English language I could be convinced. Basically it's a word if we say it's a word. ;o)  Otherwise, we need to the see the authority over the entire language and how the authority of the language came into power.  If there is no true authority of the language then those who correct it are victims of a delusion that there is an authority over it.  Ever xerox anything?

The actual authority over grammar is only in your head, unless of course you are a "subject" of the social delusion or care that people judge you. 

Pride is a deadly sin. ;o)

Language is as language does. If you want to be understood by members of a language community, it is best to know the rules. At University I don't sound (or try not to) like I do when talking to folks I live around and vice versa. Doing either would possibly alienate and send the wrong connotations than I would mean. I am fluent in both forms of English.

Rules are developed to help educate folks to better get along within language communities.

I am a descriptivist. I said prescriptivist earlier. I am both. We all are.

A lot of people here are language / English / word nerds. It's all in fun. At least for me.

And this is pretty much an English language board and there many non-Native speakers, so it ain't bad to occasionally point out poor usage of English. And blasphemic is certainly poor usage and not accepted as a regionalism, colloquialism, etc. It is an area were it is poor usage, as we already have a widely used adjective / adverb to describe what you are attempting to convey.

Again, I think it is always in good spirit around here. I hope it is received in such a manner as well.   

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2011, 11:58:02 PM »

I should have left out the grammar policing so that my spiritual "advice" would have gotten more play. Oh well!
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2011, 12:12:25 AM »

Christ is ascended!

My priest addressed this once during Bible study. He said, the Bible is a book on how to achieve salvation -- it is not an autobiography of Christ's life. If it were, we would have such details as "What was Christ's favorite food?" "What were his opinions of the economic political situation in Israel at the time?" "What did he think of the Roman occupation?" "Did he prefer cotton or wool tunics?"

Instead, the Gospels answer questions like "How does one get into the kingdom of heaven?" "How does one achieve eternal life?" and of course the greatest one of all, "What do you serve when you run out of wine?" Wink

The reason the Gospels don't focus on Christ's humanity is because it is teaching us what to focus on; the Divine. We study the Divine nature of Christ so that we may become like Him.

Humans are already very good at being human; it's becoming Divine we need help in. Smiley

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2011, 12:18:50 AM »

Humans are already very good at being human; it's becoming Divine we need help in. Smiley
Love it! So true.

--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2011, 12:32:51 PM »

Sorry, you lost me.  God the son is God, he has a human nature.  I completely and utterly believe that the Eastern Orthodox church teaches "God has a human nature through the son". 

The Church tends to be specific when it comes to revelation; we say the Son of God has a human nature, and that the Son of God is True God and one with the Father - but we do not say "God has a human nature," or that "God has a human nature through the Son" since both are a bit more vague than the content of revelation.  Precision, fidelity to revelation, and prayer keep us out of heresy.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 12:40:17 PM by testuser » Logged

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2011, 01:39:58 PM »

Love it! So true.

I disagree here. To the degree we are human in light of the grace of God is to the degree we are also divine. Being Human is not antithetical to the Divine. It was in virtue of both His divinity and humanity Christ lived the life He did.

A member of the species H. sapiens could possible be devoid of humanity and thus the possibility of the Divine. Fr. Thomas Hopko grinds on this insight from C.S. Lewis's Abolition of Man. For sometime before that text and more systematically and convincingly put, thinkers have speculated on the disappearance of what we might call "humanity", while the species H. sapiens remains.

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2011, 01:57:25 PM »

Hmm. I think that I see what you're saying.

I just typed out a whole paragraph of a response and it doesn't make any sense. I concede for the moment. Wink

--
--
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2011, 06:40:10 PM »

Scripture says that he was tempted in every way as we are, yet did not sin. Therefore one would have to conclude that he did see women as attractive.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2011, 07:22:30 PM »

The Church tends to be specific when it comes to revelation; we say the Son of God has a human nature, and that the Son of God is True God and one with the Father - but we do not say "God has a human nature," or that "God has a human nature through the Son" since both are a bit more vague than the content of revelation.  Precision, fidelity to revelation, and prayer keep us out of heresy.

I understand the part where heretical content can come from saying "God has a human nature", because that could really run into some issues...

I suppose that you are addressing the vagueness of the human nature of the son when saying "God has a human nature through the son".  I'm trying to think of a better way of wording this.  I mean the fact that God became man through the flesh, and that God understands what temptation is as he became man is undoubtedly an important issue.  I agree how I phrased it was kind of weird, but I'm trying to think of a better way to rephrase without going vague.  LOL.

How about "God understands our human nature completely because he became man."  or 'The son has a complete human nature whom exists in the divinity of the Trinity" ?   dunno...

That's kind of more of what I meant as the human nature is a distinct characteristic of the son, whom of course is fully God and fully human.

(I forget the saint) who wrote about the importance of the perfect example in the fullness of humanity within divinity.  I wish I had a better memory (age and kids will do this).

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2011, 07:53:42 PM »

Scripture says that he was tempted in every way as we are, yet did not sin. Therefore one would have to conclude that he did see women as attractive.

Wouldn't He also have to find men, fire-hydrants and animals sexually attractive according to this reasoning?
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2011, 08:39:34 PM »

I don't see why He wouldn't have had homosexual and zoophilic temptation, I'm sure it was all around Him if only due to Greek influence.

If I may ask a question: If in Orthodoxy sin can be involuntary, why isn't it a sin to be tempted?
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2011, 08:59:25 PM »

If I may ask a question: If in Orthodoxy sin can be involuntary, why isn't it a sin to be tempted?
Because temptation doesn't actually affect an ontological change to your person, your environment and your relationship with God like sinning does.

My understanding, at least.

Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2011, 09:03:55 PM »

Makes sense.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2011, 09:07:55 PM »

The Spririt has descened!
I don't see why He wouldn't have had homosexual and zoophilic temptation, I'm sure it was all around Him if only due to Greek influence.

As an elder of Mt. Athos said: "Temptatios are like airplanes [who says they aren't up to date in the monasteries].  You can't help but see them fly by, but you can refuse to give them a place to land."

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2011, 09:14:54 PM »

The Spririt has descened!

As an elder of Mt. Athos said: "Temptatios are like airplanes [who says they aren't up to date in the monasteries].  You can't help but see them fly by, but you can refuse to give them a place to land."

One priest said that the best way to overcome a persistent temptation is to visualize a purple elephant.
Anyway, how does that poem about purple elephants go?
. . .
But I can tell you one thing.
I would rather see than be one.

I wonder how Christ overcame temptations.
We know from the Holy Bible that He was tempted by the devil.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 09:15:35 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2011, 09:29:00 PM »

[who says they aren't up to date in the monasteries].
I there's at least who has facebook. I don't know whether to laugh or cry...
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: