OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 22, 2014, 08:21:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodoxy and the West:Commencement Address of Dr. Christos Yannaras  (Read 346 times) Average Rating: 0
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« on: June 07, 2011, 03:08:34 PM »

Interesting speech from Dr. Christophoros Yannaras. I suspect that this will provoke a spirited discussion. I don't agree with all he says, but you are probably not surprised that I do find his general propostion to be consistent with my own worldview. Dr. Yannaras is Professor Emeritus of Philosophy at the Panteion University of Social and Political Sciences, Athens.

"... the individualistic character of Zealotry-Fundamentalism and the accompanying idolization of formalism - of "dogmas" and "canons" rendered independent of ecclesial experience - assimilate the "Orthodoxy" of conservative Christians to every other ideological "orthodoxy": to that of conservative Marxists, conservative Freudians, etc. All these "orthodoxies" have the same characteristics in common:

...(The Zealots).... attribute a quality of infallible authority to "sources": to the original formulations of an empirical testimony, or of a hermeneutic theory, or of a proposition concerning regulative principles (of a practical deontology). And they bitterly oppose any deviation from the original formulation because its objectified "truth" can be possessed and offer assurance to the individual, cladding the ego in certainties. The texts of Marx or Freud or the Fathers of the Church become the infallible measure that gauges the correctness of every opinion, view, or proposition - that judges which person individually possesses the truth and which is in error, which person will be saved and which will go to perdition. And the measure of this judqernent is applied authoritatively by the "zealot," the defender of original authenticity.

http://www.johnsanidopoulos.com/2011/05/commencement-address-of-dr-christos.html
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: