OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 20, 2014, 05:01:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: Is it allowed for an Orthodox to....  (Read 777 times) Average Rating: 0
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« on: June 07, 2011, 11:52:26 AM »

That the Theotokos never committed a sin is different from the Immaculate Conception, which wrongly teaches that from birth she was granted a sort of "divine protection" that in effect made it impossible for her to commit a sin.

But that's not what the Immaculate Conception means at all. It means that Mary was like Eve, before the fall. It doesn't say that she was incapable of sinning. (We Catholics do, of course, believe that she didn't sin. But that's completely different from saying that that she was incapable of sinning.)

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 11:54:40 AM »

Mary was like Eve, before the fall

Which means what, specifically?
Wyatt
Archon

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 01:06:54 PM »

That she was born without original sin, not that she was incapable of sin. Adam and Eve didn't have original sin either but they were still able to and did fall.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 01:48:34 PM »

State of grace, and inclination to the Good.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 03:00:48 PM »

I think this is the shortest thread on the Immaculate Conception that I have ever seen.

That the Theotokos never committed a sin is different from the Immaculate Conception, which wrongly teaches that from birth she was granted a sort of "divine protection" that in effect made it impossible for her to commit a sin.

But that's not what the Immaculate Conception means at all. It means that Mary was like Eve, before the fall. It doesn't say that she was incapable of sinning. (We Catholics do, of course, believe that she didn't sin. But that's completely different from saying that that she was incapable of sinning.)

Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 03:04:42 PM »

It's been less than a week.  Give it some time Wink

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 03:12:13 PM »

It's been less than a week.  Give it some time Wink
laugh laugh laugh

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Taxiarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 03:20:08 PM »

Mary is the new Eve.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
WetCatechumen
Roman Catholic
Elder

Faith: Catholic Christianity
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite - Archdiocese of Santa Fe; Ruthenian Byzantine Catholic Eparchy of Phoenix

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 03:06:12 AM »

Mary is the new Eve.
Your Mom is the new Eve.

"And because they have nothing better to do, they take cushion and chairs to Rome. And while the Pope is saying liturgy, they go, 'Oh, oh, oh, filioque!' And the Pope say, 'Filioque? That-uh sound nice! I think I divide-uh the Church over it!'" - Comrade Real Presence
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 08:34:45 AM »

Mary is the new Eve.
Your Mom is the new Eve.

Grin As Gary Bertier said in "Remember the Titans", Now that's a mama joke.

elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 12:53:20 PM »

Mary is the new Eve.
Your Mom is the new Eve.

Calling the Mother of God ..."MOM"....is an exceptionally obnoxious late 20th century habit that is nothing but an extension of the most banal of Catholic piety. 

I don't even call my own mother "MOM"....I have too much respect for her as a mother and as a woman.

WetCatechumen
Roman Catholic
Elder

Faith: Catholic Christianity
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite - Archdiocese of Santa Fe; Ruthenian Byzantine Catholic Eparchy of Phoenix

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 09:22:08 PM »

Mary is the new Eve.
Your Mom is the new Eve.

Calling the Mother of God ..."MOM"....is an exceptionally obnoxious late 20th century habit that is nothing but an extension of the most banal of Catholic piety. 

I don't even call my own mother "MOM"....I have too much respect for her as a mother and as a woman.

"Abba" means "Dad", basically.

There's nothing wrong with calling her God's Mom or anything like that. And yes, she is the Church's Mom. Typically, I say mother, sure, but mom is fine.

"And because they have nothing better to do, they take cushion and chairs to Rome. And while the Pope is saying liturgy, they go, 'Oh, oh, oh, filioque!' And the Pope say, 'Filioque? That-uh sound nice! I think I divide-uh the Church over it!'" - Comrade Real Presence
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 09:26:33 PM »

Mary is the new Eve.
Your Mom is the new Eve.

"Abba" means "Dad", basically.

There's nothing wrong with calling her God's Mom or anything like that. And yes, she is the Church's Mom. Typically, I say mother, sure, but mom is fine.

When I was growing up, my dad had a mug (he might still have it) that said "Anyone can be a father, but it takes someone special to be a Dad." I can't remember which of us kids gave it to him.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: