OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 23, 2014, 11:43:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Climate Scientists Forecast Permanently Hotter Summers  (Read 1799 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: June 07, 2011, 11:27:15 AM »

ScienceDaily (June 6, 2011) — The tropics and much of the Northern Hemisphere are likely to experience an irreversible rise in summer temperatures within the next 20 to 60 years if atmospheric greenhouse gas concentrations continue to increase, according to a new climate study by Stanford University scientists.
In the study, the Stanford team concluded that many tropical regions in Africa, Asia and South America could see "the permanent emergence of unprecedented summer heat" in the next two decades. Middle latitudes of Europe, China and North America -- including the United States -- are likely to undergo extreme summer temperature shifts within 60 years, the researchers found.

"According to our projections, large areas of the globe are likely to warm up so quickly that, by the middle of this century, even the coolest summers will be hotter than the hottest summers of the past 50 years," said the study's lead author....

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 12:17:17 PM »

I recall reading not too long ago about how in the late 80's or early 90's that by the middle 2000's, American kids would not know what snow was, any more.  Compare that to last year's snow storms...

I will believe this report when summers start getting a good deal warmer.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
bogdan
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 12:51:28 PM »

"Unprecedented"? The world has been a heck of a lot warmer various times in the past than it is now, or than they are predicting.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 01:29:29 PM »

Just look at the little ice age and you can see how much warmer some periods are than others.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 09:44:39 AM »

10 reasons to be cheerful about the coming new Ice Age

By James Delingpole Politics Last updated: June 15th, 2011
889 Comments Comment on this article

It’s official: a new Ice Age is on its way. In what has been described as“the science story of the century”, heavyweight US solar physicists have announced that the sun is heading for a prolonged period of low activity. This makes global cooling a much more plausible prospect in the next few decades than global warming. Indeed, it might even usher in a lengthy period of climate grimness such as we saw during the Maunder Minimum (when Ice Fairs were held on the Thames) or the Dalton Minimum (which brought us such delights as the 1816 Year Without A Summer).
Here’s how Watts Up With That reports the bad news:

A missing jet stream, fading spots, and slower activity near the poles say that our Sun is heading for a rest period even as it is acting up for the first time in years, according to scientists at the National Solar Observatory (NSO) and the Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL).
As the current sunspot cycle, Cycle 24, begins to ramp up toward maximum, independent studies of the solar interior, visible surface, and the corona indicate that the next 11-year solar sunspot cycle, Cycle 25, will be greatly reduced or may not happen at all…..
….“This is highly unusual and unexpected,” Dr. Frank Hill, associate director of the NSO’s Solar Synoptic Network, said of the results. “But the fact that three completely different views of the Sun point in the same direction is a powerful indicator that the sunspot cycle may be going into hibernation.”

Oh dear. Or is it “Oh dear?”. Could there yet be a glimmer of hope and joy amid this black, treacly splurge of impending climate doom?

Of course there could, and here are just a few reasons why we should welcome the arrival of the imminent Ice Age.

1. Well I’ve never ice-skated on the Thames. Have you? Also, I’d be quite interested to hear what that “expert” has to say: the one at Alan Howard’s Downing College climate conference who blithely assured us that 17th frost fairs had NOTHING to do with the Little Ice Age. (It was all because the Thames flowed in a much more turgid way back then, apparently….)

2. People will no longer merely be mildly irritated at the way their landscape has been disfigured by bat-chomping eco-crucifixes for rent-seeking toffs (aka wind farms) in the name of saving us from “global warming.” They will be incandescent. Lynch-mob incandescent.

3. As the starving polar bears march southward on the new sheet ice now extending from the North Pole to Gibraltar, desperate citizens will be forced to make tough decisions about which sacrificial victim should be fed next to the ravening beasts so that they leave the rest of us alone. Happily I have a suggestion. His name is Richard Kemp and – apparently – he is Vice Chairman of the Local Government Association. And among his taxpayer-funded functions – again, apparently – is to give quotes to newspapers telling us how grateful and happy we should be that our bins will now be emptied less often.

He said: “Weekly rubbish collection is dead and finished. I’m delighted reason has prevailed. It’s not what most local people want, it’s not what most local councils want and it’s certainly not what the advisers want. What local people want is a system that helps maximise recycling and helps to promote healthy living.”

Feed, my hungry ursine brothers! Feed!

4. Never in our lifetimes will we have to read another tendentious story about how daffodils are coming up three months earlier than usual/lambs are being born in December instead of spring/wildebeeste could soon be migrating across Salisbury Plain as a result of “global warming.”
5. The 10-foot maneating Oceanic Whitetips which have been drawn to Cornwall’s waters by the Concept Formerly Known As Global Warming will now be replaced by 30 foot maneating Greenland sharks. Which will kind of serve the Cornish right for being such impassioned early adopters of wind farms.

6. New edicts will be issued by world leaders including President Ryan of the US, Prime Minister Farage of Great Britain and Aussie premier Plimer, scrapping High Speed Rail, abandoning all renewable energy schemes (apart from, maybe, hydroelectric) and making the ownership of 4 x 4s or similar gas-guzzling vehicles compulsory by 2015. Stringent punishments to be introduced for those whose carbon footprint falls below a certain agreed minimum level.

7. Monbiot the Musical (libretto: James Delingpole; music: James MacMillan) – a light-hearted celebration of one of the late 20th century’s great comic figures – opens simultaneously on Broadway and in the West End to enormous acclaim.

8. Woolly mammoth steaks are said to be surprisingly delicious. They taste like chicken, apparently.

9. Britain now stands a reasonable chance of cleaning up in the medals at the 2022 Winter Olympics. As, unfortunately, do Jamaica, Bora Bora, Egypt and, of course, the 2022 Olympics’ host nation, Dubai.

10. The Prince of Wales, Al Gore, Rajendra Pachauri, James Hansen, Paul Ehrlich, David Cameron, Leonardo Di Caprio, Ed Begley Jr, Sir P Nurse of the Royal Society and Britain’s second most famous celebrity mathemetician Simon Singh will be among the many former Warmists who put their names to a grovelling apology published in all the world’s newspapers explaining how incredibly bad and stupid they feel for all the economic damage they have inflicted, all the careers ruined, all the unnecessary fear promoted as a result of their misguided promotion of the “Man-Made Global Warming” myth. Yeah, right. Hell will freeze over before that happens. But wait: what are all those spike-tailed, horned, red figures doing gliding on blades across the surface of the Styx?

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/jamesdelingpole/100092280/10-reasons-to-be-cheerful-about-the-coming-new-ice-age/
http://www.thegwpf.org/science-news/3208-earth-may-be-headed-into-a-mini-ice-age-within-a-decade.html
http://wattsupwiththat.com/2011/06/14/all-three-of-these-lines-of-research-to-point-to-the-familiar-sunspot-cycle-shutting-down-for-a-while/

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 09:54:28 AM »

^ I would reply but I fear I would be banished to the world of polemical politics. Ugh....
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 10:37:53 AM »

Here is an article from EarthSky that confirms the posting by Fabio. 

http://earthsky.org/space/major-drop-in-solar-activity-ahead-scientists-say

I have always felt that the behavior of the global warning scientists during the past decade explained to me the attitude of the Roman Catholic Church and most scientists in the first half of the 17th Century. If this report is true, it will be nice to see Gore exposed as the fraud that I believe he is and the global warning experts exposed as quasi-religious zealots.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 11:32:57 AM »

The Spirit is descened!

Given that the Midwest has been in the 50's, and I was just in the South (NC) where it was in the 60's, I don't buy it. But then, I never did.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
yBeayf
High Elder

/etc

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 02:28:59 PM »

The Spirit is descened!

Given that the Midwest has been in the 50's, and I was just in the South (NC) where it was in the 60's, I don't buy it. But then, I never did.

But of course, weather is not the same as climate. Come on down to Houston, where it rained last week for the first time since February. No more rain in sight. This is *extremely* abnormal -- Houston is (used to be) extremely rainy in the spring and summer. The past several years, we've had multiple days with highs of 100+ degrees, and lows of > 80 degrees. Also quite abnormal.

The Midwest is one of the regions predicted to be relatively less affected by climate change. The Gulf Coast is not. Things may feel fine where you are, but it's making us down here miserable.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 02:49:10 PM »

The Spirit is descened!

But of course, weather is not the same as climate. Come on down to Houston, where it rained last week for the first time since February. No more rain in sight. This is *extremely* abnormal -- Houston is (used to be) extremely rainy in the spring and summer. The past several years, we've had multiple days with highs of 100+ degrees, and lows of > 80 degrees. Also quite abnormal.

The Midwest is one of the regions predicted to be relatively less affected by climate change. The Gulf Coast is not. Things may feel fine where you are, but it's making us down here miserable.
You read about the La Nina we're having this year? It's said to be the strongest on record. It's also said to be responsible for the flooding we've seen in the Mississippi River drainage basin, the glut of tornadoes we've seen in the Midwest, the drought we've seen in the Southwest, and the increased hurricane activity we anticipate seeing in the Atlantic later this summer. But then, we've seen the strongest incidents of its opposite phenomenon, El Nino, in years before the global climate change we keep talking about, such as 1983.
yBeayf
High Elder

/etc

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 04:32:28 PM »

You read about the La Nina we're having this year? It's said to be the strongest on record. It's also said to be responsible for the flooding we've seen in the Mississippi River drainage basin, the glut of tornadoes we've seen in the Midwest, the drought we've seen in the Southwest, and the increased hurricane activity we anticipate seeing in the Atlantic later this summer. But then, we've seen the strongest incidents of its opposite phenomenon, El Nino, in years before the global climate change we keep talking about, such as 1983.

Yes indeed. How does that explain that 100+ degree days in Houston are noticeably trending upwards over the past 10 years? Subtropical arid zones are predicted to move northward and southward due to climate change (i.e. the Texas coast becomes more like Tamaulipas). Houston also isn't in the southwest.

For those who doubt the existence of anthropogenic climate change, what *would* convince you that it is happening?
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 04:54:12 PM »

Yet these are the same folks who cant tell me when its going to rain 3 days from now......

primuspilus

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 05:11:14 PM »

Yes indeed. How does that explain that 100+ degree days in Houston are noticeably trending upwards over the past 10 years? Subtropical arid zones are predicted to move northward and southward due to climate change (i.e. the Texas coast becomes more like Tamaulipas). Houston also isn't in the southwest.

For those who doubt the existence of anthropogenic climate change, what *would* convince you that it is happening?
I personally don't know anyone who doubts that climate change IS happening. Many just doubt that it's anthropogenic.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 05:13:52 PM »

Yet these are the same folks who cant tell me when its going to rain 3 days from now......

primuspilus
Are they? Climatology and meteorology, though similar, are different disciplines. The latter studies day-to-day weather patterns with an eye for predicting what's going to happen tomorrow, while the former studies weather patterns over many years with an eye for predicting what's going to happen 50 years from now.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 05:14:12 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 10:46:09 PM »

It's clear there is some level of warming, anthropogenic or not. Glacial retreat records that pretty well. What it means for climate, meaning weather patterns, is still pretty suppositional. As far as storms are concerned the meteorologists will tell you that there is no overall pattern of increase, at least not for tornadoes and hurricanes. The former show no pattern; the latter are known to be driven by two oscillations, one (the el nino cycle) well-understood, and the other (the multi-decade cycle) not. When you have cycles that run decades long, it's questionable how meaningful a climate prediction over the same period can be. Verification is doubtful under the circumstances.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2011, 12:56:33 AM »

Have you told the drought that? "We're not in the Southwest, so leave us alone." laugh
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2011, 01:00:23 AM »

Since this topic of global warming is so politically motivated, should not this topic be in politics?

Here in Southern California, meterologists have stated that Los Angeles has experienced a -5 degree difference from the normal for this season so far. We are actually COOLER. That was shown on TV news reports and on the internet TODAY when I checked the weather report online.

Astrophysicists largely disagree with these "scientists" who advocate the myth of global warming.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 01:02:24 AM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2011, 01:03:36 AM »

Since this topic of global warming is so politically motivated, should not this topic be in politics?
Why? Before you brought it up, no one had said anything on this thread about Al Gore or the politics of climate change.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 01:04:01 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2011, 01:05:14 AM »

Why? Before you brought it up, no one had said anything on this thread about Al Gore or the politics of climate change.

Okay, then we can talk about the recent Vatican meeting that was convened to support Global Warming.
The same scientists were involved in that meeting who supported Gore.
Vatican policies should not concern us in Orthodoxy.

EDIT: changing WARNING to WARMING ...
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 01:08:24 AM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2011, 01:06:30 AM »

Okay, then we can talk about the Vatican meeting that was convened to support Global Warning.

Global Warning? What does the Vatican want to warn the world about? Wink
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 01:06:43 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2011, 01:07:42 AM »

Okay, then we can talk about the Vatican meeting that was convened to support Global Warning.

Global Warning? What does the Vatican want to warn the world about? Wink

Precisely, Why is the Vatican so concerned. I thought they were to be concerned about our salvation, not the myth of global warming.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2011, 01:15:04 AM »

I wonder what the EP thinks about climate change?  I know he likes to be green, but I cannot remember what he thinks about this subject.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2011, 01:16:40 AM »

I wonder what the EP thinks about climate change?  I know he likes to be green, but I cannot remember what he thinks about this subject.
It's not easy being green.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2011, 01:19:32 AM »

Yes, he might be mistaken as food as in green lettuce.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2011, 01:22:04 AM »

Or maybe a little green frog with Jim Henson's voice.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2011, 01:23:17 AM »

Or maybe a little green frog with Jim Henson's voice.

I liked the green froggie.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2011, 02:08:35 AM »

Indeed, I had a difficult enough of time being blue.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2011, 03:12:08 AM »

Indeed, I had a difficult enough of time being blue.

With the rare event of having three snow storms in Los Angeles this past winter and spring, my toenails and fingernails sometimes turned blue.
It has been cold baby.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 03:12:48 AM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2011, 10:38:30 AM »

With the rare event of having three snow storms in Los Angeles this past winter and spring, my toenails and fingernails sometimes turned blue.
It has been cold baby.

If you ain't kidding around, you should let your doctor know about this. Could be benign but might not be.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Irish_Melkite

Faith: Melkite
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton MA

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2011, 11:29:37 AM »

More junk science.  Give me a break.  I see now that the American Meteorological Society is threatening to withdraw certification of meteorologists on TV if they don't subscribe to the Global Warming Hoax.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2011, 11:32:53 AM »

I'm confused

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2011, 01:14:47 PM »

Its pretty much common knowledge that the scientists padded the weather data. It was all over the news for about a month. Their credability is stretched to say the least.

primuspilus

P.S. I was just jokin Peter, I know they're different diciplines....I'm 0/2 on jokes today.....

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Keble
Archon

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2011, 04:17:49 PM »

I see now that the American Meteorological Society is threatening to withdraw certification of meteorologists on TV if they don't subscribe to the Global Warming Hoax.

As far as I can tell this was one person back in 2007 suggesting that this be done.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2011, 05:21:54 PM »

More junk science.  Give me a break.  I see now that the American Meteorological Society is threatening to withdraw certification of meteorologists on TV if they don't subscribe to the Global Warming Hoax.

That is draconian. Whatever happened with Freedom of Speech?  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 05:24:14 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2011, 05:23:16 PM »

I see now that the American Meteorological Society is threatening to withdraw certification of meteorologists on TV if they don't subscribe to the Global Warming Hoax.

As far as I can tell this was one person back in 2007 suggesting that this be done.

One person? Can I guess hangman style? Is the first letter G?  Shocked
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 05:23:50 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2011, 05:45:55 PM »

primuspilus
Are they? Climatology and meteorology, though similar, are different disciplines. The latter studies day-to-day weather patterns with an eye for predicting what's going to happen tomorrow, while the former studies weather patterns over many years with an eye for predicting what's going to happen 50 years from now.

If they cannot accurately predict what is happening in three days how the heck do they think they can figure out what will happen in 18,250 days (not taking into account leap years)?  Many factors can affect the weather in three days, only God knows what can change in fifty years.  When odd-ball Protestant ministers try to predict the end of the world based on the Bible we call them oddballs.  When climatologists try to predict the end of the world based on snow we call them scientists.

For the record, this is not a rant.  I almost lol'd while typing it, though the people nearby look at me odd when I laugh for no reason so I avoid it.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2011, 06:09:43 PM »

primuspilus

If they cannot accurately predict what is happening in three days how the heck do they think they can figure out what will happen in 18,250 days (not taking into account leap years)?  Many factors can affect the weather in three days, only God knows what can change in fifty years.  When odd-ball Protestant ministers try to predict the end of the world based on the Bible we call them oddballs.  When climatologists try to predict the end of the world based on snow we call them scientists.

For the record, this is not a rant.  I almost lol'd while typing it, though the people nearby look at me odd when I laugh for no reason so I avoid it.

Were you typing this in a college computer lab? Whenever I would use the college lab for message board chats, yes, I would laugh at some of the replies, and then people would look at me because we are not supposed to talk.

This global warming WARNING is rather alarmist and not very professional in my opinion.
To be a scientific investigation, astrophysicists should also be consulted because where we are in the universe is very important.
My dad, who was an environmentalist and astrophysicists associated with the University of California at Berkeley told me that our sun is very unstable. He also said that the radiation from where we are in the universe will affect the temperature on earth.  Also things happen in our universe that can affect our temperature on earth. We are in continual motion and so are other bodies some of which can explode.

Oh, the late ROCOR Bishop Alexander, may his memory be eternal, told us just before he died that as a scientist at JPL, he had information that would cause insomnia in normal citizens. We have heavenly radiation and stuff flying close to earth that would scare most people senseless.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 06:11:26 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Keble
Archon

« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2011, 06:31:51 AM »

One person? Can I guess hangman style? Is the first letter G?  Shocked

No. The person in question hosted a series on The Weather Channel concerning global warming.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2011, 12:07:39 PM »

primuspilus

If they cannot accurately predict what is happening in three days how the heck do they think they can figure out what will happen in 18,250 days (not taking into account leap years)? 

Actually this is not a valid point. Large trends over long periods of time are easier in most fields to predict than blips within that trend along the way.

Think about that and whatever field you work in, if prognostication is involved.

In the work I do, I can to a near certainty know what will happen to various consumer products we make over a long period of time, when we switch a formula or process in R&D. It is those first couple of hours, day, weeks or months that are question marks.

Medical prognosis is very much the same. Your physician can give you a fairly accurate tale of your experience dying from cancer but cannot say much about day 4 or day 15 to a precise and accurate degree.

primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2011, 12:37:37 PM »

Actually this is not a valid point. Large trends over long periods of time are easier in most fields to predict than blips within that trend along the way

They've been trying to predict this kind of stuff (either more heat or more chill) for over 40 years and have yet to hit the mark...how much time do they need?

IMO, if they were really as accurate as they claim, these people would not need to pad their data, would they?

primuspilus

Gregory the Great

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2011, 12:44:07 PM »

Actually this is not a valid point. Large trends over long periods of time are easier in most fields to predict than blips within that trend along the way

They've been trying to predict this kind of stuff (either more heat or more chill) for over 40 years and have yet to hit the mark...how much time do they need?

IMO, if they were really as accurate as they claim, these people would not need to pad their data, would they?

primuspilus

I'm not arguing one way or another regarding their claims, but rather in terms of predicting trends over long periods of time versus small intervals within them. The former is much easier to do.

And within the scale of time they are discussing, 40 years ain't very long.

It really doesn't matter the about the cause, we should move past it, the simple fact is that our stewardship of the earth has been terrible and IS causing problems. Whether global warming is one of the those consequences turn causes is beside the point.

No Christian who ain't looking to bring upon the end of times by destroying this planet should be very concerned about our stewardship of it and how we in the developed world have done an incredibly poor job at it.

Lord have mercy on us.

primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2011, 01:27:58 PM »

I'm not arguing one way or another regarding their claims, but rather in terms of predicting trends over long periods of time versus small intervals within them. The former is much easier to do.

And within the scale of time they are discussing, 40 years ain't very long.

It really doesn't matter the about the cause, we should move past it, the simple fact is that our stewardship of the earth has been terrible and IS causing problems. Whether global warming is one of the those consequences turn causes is beside the point.

No Christian who ain't looking to bring upon the end of times by destroying this planet should be very concerned about our stewardship of it and how we in the developed world have done an incredibly poor job at it.

Lord have mercy on us.

You're absolutely right. We dont treat the Earth like we should and I totally believe that our stewardship over the Lord's gracious gift to all of us is in desparate need of improvement. My problem is going to either extreme. Screaming that its all man-made and forcing us to be "green" wont change anything, also dumping your old motor oil in the nearsest river right too. You cant force this kind of thing, it has to be a change of heart.

Trying to deceive folks just makes it more difficult.

primuspilus

Gregory the Great

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2011, 06:58:21 PM »

Somehow, to me, a "team" from Stanford hardly qualifies as a majority consensus, even among liberal leftist "climatologists". The great thing about these doomsday predictions...one can just wait and see..while engaging in useless Internet banter about a "science" so politicized now as to be virtually useless.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2011, 07:03:42 PM »

Somehow, to me, a "team" from Stanford hardly qualifies as a majority consensus, even among liberal leftist "climatologists". The great thing about these doomsday predictions...one can just wait and see..while engaging in useless Internet banter about a "science" so politicized now as to be virtually useless.
virtually?

The climategate emails should have cleared this up. That it hasn't shows we are wasting out time with such "teams."
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 07:04:16 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2011, 07:08:09 PM »

These "university teams" are useless especially when said teams omit astrophysicists and other scientists. Thus they lack interdisciplinary diversity.

This is also the problem with "peer reviewed" scientific publications. Peers can be prejudiced to their own discipline.

Having a specialty is good, but it can result in arrogance and a parochial outlook.

For example, when I saw a neurologist, he made an outlandish remark that carpel tunnel syndrome can cause double vision.
Thus he recommended an EMG test to rule out carpel tunnel syndrome when I had absolutely no symptoms.
My ophthalmologist was nonplussed. My husband's plastic surgeon who specialized in hands and carpel tunnel syndrome was shocked.
The neuro-otologist I consulted was aghast and recommended me to a neuro-ophthalmologist.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 07:15:24 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: