OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 08:17:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did Christ have a soul?  (Read 1539 times) Average Rating: 0
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Time-wasting self-embarrassing anti-Christian hater

« on: June 06, 2011, 09:47:42 PM »

Or did His divine nature fulfill the role a soul would in an average human?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 10:11:02 PM »

Beats me.  Is this something that I would need to worry about, or just a matter of curiosity?

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 10:11:24 PM »

Curiosity.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 10:11:42 PM »

He took on all of humanity--human nature, human will, human body, and human soul. If he did not take on a human soul, no one could be saved.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 10:13:52 PM »

He had a human soul. The belief that He didn't have a human soul (and I know you are just asking and not saying you believe this) is actually the heresy of Apollinarism, which was condemned at the First Council of Constantinople in 381.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 10:15:42 PM »

As I believe several of the Fathers say, "That which is not assumed is not saved." Also, a human being is a body-soul entity. The division of soul from body at death is unnatural. The body was created for immortality, as the soul is, but the result of sin is bodily death and corruption.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Punch
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 10:19:11 PM »

Curiosity.

I have wondered the same thing.  I guess that it would depend on the actual nature of the soul.  I have always seen the soul as the part of the Divine Nature that is in all of us, as when God breathed into Adam and gave him life.  The man Jesus would not need a soul since He is already God and IS that divine nature.  However, I have been told that I hold an erronious view of the Soul, which is quite possible since I have never bothered to figure out exactly what a soul really is.

ps - written before the above two posts.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 10:20:02 PM by Punch » Logged

Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 10:30:06 PM »

John 19:30 When he had received the drink, Jesus said, "It is finished." With that, he bowed his head and gave up his soul.

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Punch
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 10:44:04 PM »

John 19:30 When he had received the drink, Jesus said, "It is finished." With that, he bowed his head and gave up his soul.

Answers it for me.

Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 11:31:14 PM »

Answers it for me.
me, too  Wink

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 01:13:33 AM »

It could not have. Divinity and soul are two very different things. Christ must have had a human soul to have been truly human.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 01:13:33 AM »

Beats me.  Is this something that I would need to worry about, or just a matter of curiosity?

Yes, you need to worry about it because the opinion that Christ did not have a soul is the condemned heresy of Apollinaris.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 01:13:34 AM »

Curiosity.

I have wondered the same thing.  I guess that it would depend on the actual nature of the soul.  I have always seen the soul as the part of the Divine Nature that is in all of us, as when God breathed into Adam and gave him life.  The man Jesus would not need a soul since He is already God and IS that divine nature.  However, I have been told that I hold an erronious view of the Soul, which is quite possible since I have never bothered to figure out exactly what a soul really is.

The soul is the immaterial but circumscribed animative principle of the flesh in animals and in humans it is additionally a rational principle (noetic). The divinity is beyond circumscription, animation, and rationality in this sense.

NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 01:28:50 AM »

Curiosity.

The soul is the immaterial but circumscribed animative principle of the flesh in animals and in humans it is additionally a rational principle (noetic). The divinity is beyond circumscription, animation, and rationality in this sense.

Well put.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2011, 02:38:17 AM »

No. This would be heresy.
In order to be human, Christ would need to have a created body and soul, and He possessed both. "Human Nature" cannot exist outside of a human person, and a human person is an hypostasis with a body and a soul. Similarly, "Divine Nature" cannot exist outside of a Divine Person. A being without a human soul would not be a human person, and hence could not possess human nature. Christ is truly Theanthropos (God-Man) which means he is 100% Human and 100% Divine (not "50% Human and 50% Divine").
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 02:46:58 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2011, 06:24:15 AM »

Beats me.  Is this something that I would need to worry about, or just a matter of curiosity?

Yes, you need to worry about it because the opinion that Christ did not have a soul is the condemned heresy of Apollinaris.

It could not have. Divinity and soul are two very different things. Christ must have had a human soul to have been truly human.

Then you essentially agree with not only the 2nd Ecumenical council but also the 4th and 6th councils as well.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 06:27:06 AM by jnorm888 » Logged

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2011, 01:27:40 PM »

Thanks for the answers, everyone.

Another related and probably overly analytical question:

If body and soul are separated at death, what happened at Christ's death? Did both His body and His soul stay united to the divine nature although they were separate?

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2011, 01:53:40 PM »

Thanks for the answers, everyone.

Another related and probably overly analytical question:

If body and soul are separated at death, what happened at Christ's death? Did both His body and His soul stay united to the divine nature although they were separate?

Yes. After the Word became flesh, His human and divine natures became inseparable and indivisible, but also unmingling, without confusion, and without alteration. Likewise, in one of the troparia of the Paschal hours, we say, "In the grave bodily, but in hades with Thy soul as God: in Paradise with the thief, and on the throne with the Father and the Spirit wast Thou Who fillest all things, O Christ the Inexpressible."

We don't endeavor to explain the paradoxes, they are inexplicable. Rather, we embrace them.

Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2011, 02:01:10 PM »

Answers it for me.
me, too  Wink

Soul in this verse should be translated as spirit. NKJ  From my understanding the soul is a function of the body and it is the spirit of man that lives on after the body is laid to rest.

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2011, 03:11:18 PM »

The Eastern Orthodox church and the bible both teach that Jesus Christ had a soul.

Also the scripture stated above. ;o)

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2011, 09:20:03 PM »

Beats me.  Is this something that I would need to worry about, or just a matter of curiosity?

Then you essentially agree with not only the 2nd Ecumenical council but also the 4th and 6th councils as well.

How is that?

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2011, 09:20:04 PM »

Yes. The soul separated from the body; the divinity remained with both.

Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2011, 10:09:38 AM »

The Eastern Orthodox church and the bible both teach that Jesus Christ had a soul.

Also the scripture stated above. ;o)

Where did I state that he didn't?

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2011, 09:50:12 PM »

Curiosity.

Can you explain how divinity is beyond rationality? I thought that the noetic faculty in man was how he had God's image and likeness.

Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Christians

Partisangirl
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2011, 01:41:17 AM »

Christ undoubtedly had a perfect human soul. Consider what St Athanasius has to say
“But truly our salvation is not merely apparent, nor does it extend to
the body only, but the whole man, body and soul alike, has truly obtained salvation in
the Word Himself”
I think I remember reading that some Fathers said that Christ united himself to a human soul so that he can unite our souls to him (by grace). If Christ's humanity were incomplete (I.e. if he lacked a soul) then we would have no salvation.

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ (Cf. St. John 16:33)
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2011, 06:13:38 PM »

How is that?

Still rather curious.

xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2011, 07:00:44 PM »

Answers it for me.
me, too  Wink
What translation of Jn 19:30 are you using, trevor? The usual translation is "spirit," and the Gk NT has πνεῦμα ("spirit"; "soul" in Gk. is ψυχή). Still, a definite yes to the OP. As Adam *was* a living soul (לְנֶ֥פֶשׁ חַיָּֽה /Gen 2:7), so also was Christ.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 07:19:54 PM by xariskai » Logged

Silly Stars
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2011, 12:12:17 AM »

See: 1st Canon of the First Council of Constantinople

Forgive my sins.
Tags: Christology 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: