OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 11:53:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Explore Polish Orthodoxy  (Read 1285 times) Average Rating: 0
mike
Stratopedarches

« on: June 06, 2011, 08:14:50 PM »

One more time we are attempting to organize International Workshop for all orthphoto users. We hope it will be good occassion to meet, learn more about photography and explore Polish Orthodox Church...

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
JGHunter
Settling dust
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Kingdom of Heaven

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 04:25:21 PM »

Hey I know this is old, but I'm interested. I don't feel a strong bond developing with the Greeks I attend with, I feel there is too much of a cultural clash. I do, however, have close Polish heritage (dziadek immigrated when his officer told him and the boys he was training with to flee because if they got involved in the war they'd just be slaughtered, so he went around most of Europe, even ended up at the port of Alexandria, before arriving in England). I believe he was probably Roman Catholic but my family have maintained ties to the Polish heritage on that side with family over there, food, even a bit of language (I didn't find out until I was almost a teenager that dziadek's name wasn't actually dziadek...) and I have at points (my wife seemed to like the idea) of changing my surname back to the Polish surname it would have been (dziadek changed it when he came to England because he felt ashamed or embarrassed of his Polish background, also I think he felt a little worried about persecution being a foreigner). I hope when possible to one day find and or attend a Polish Orthodox church, if there are any in Britain this would be great. Am I right in thinking the Polish Orthodox church is itself an Eastern Orthodox Church, sort of separate (don't know the word) in the same way other Eastern Orthodox churches are?

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated, Michał.

Lord Deliver Us.

I no longer use this profile for conversation, only news, PMs and prayer requests.
DeniseDenise
Warned
Archon

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 04:33:20 PM »

He doesn't post here anymore....but there are some others who will probably answer.

Smiley
JGHunter
Settling dust
Elder

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 04:50:44 PM »

He has graciously contacted me, I didn't notice his signature!

Lord Deliver Us.

I no longer use this profile for conversation, only news, PMs and prayer requests.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 05:01:33 PM »

^He can always change his mind and his signature!  Wink

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 05:07:08 PM »

Hey I know this is old, but I'm interested. I don't feel a strong bond developing with the Greeks I attend with, I feel there is too much of a cultural clash. I do, however, have close Polish heritage (dziadek immigrated when his officer told him and the boys he was training with to flee because if they got involved in the war they'd just be slaughtered, so he went around most of Europe, even ended up at the port of Alexandria, before arriving in England). I believe he was probably Roman Catholic but my family have maintained ties to the Polish heritage on that side with family over there, food, even a bit of language (I didn't find out until I was almost a teenager that dziadek's name wasn't actually dziadek...) and I have at points (my wife seemed to like the idea) of changing my surname back to the Polish surname it would have been (dziadek changed it when he came to England because he felt ashamed or embarrassed of his Polish background, also I think he felt a little worried about persecution being a foreigner). I hope when possible to one day find and or attend a Polish Orthodox church, if there are any in Britain this would be great. Am I right in thinking the Polish Orthodox church is itself an Eastern Orthodox Church, sort of separate (don't know the word) in the same way other Eastern Orthodox churches are?

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated, Michał.

I'm a member of the Polish Orthodox Church and still posting here, so if you have any questions, just ask me Wink And that's very probable that on some issues I'll have different views than Michal
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 05:07:44 PM by Dominika » Logged

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 05:42:13 PM »

I'm a member of the Polish Orthodox Church and still posting here, so if you have any questions, just ask me Wink And that's very probable that on some issues I'll have different views than Michal

Wink

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
JGHunter
Settling dust
Elder

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 02:57:58 AM »

This sounds like an in-joke that is going right over my head...

But thank you Dominika. He gave me a couple links but if I were to ask questions they'd be pretty vage as this is the first I've heard of the Pokish Orthodox Church Cheesy
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 03:00:21 AM by JGHunter » Logged

Lord Deliver Us.

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 02:59:09 AM »

This sounds like an in-joke that is going right over my head...

Just read the treasure trove of Michal's previous posts.

TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 09:21:41 AM »

Michal is like a fine wine.  He is an aquired taste, but an all around good guy. I miss him here.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Orest
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 09:26:17 AM »

I have visited Polish Orthodox churches in Poland on visits to Eastern Europe.  But the parishes I visited were made-up of ethnic Ukrainians, not ethnic Roman Cathoics.  Also a number of our priests in the UOCC who are ethnic Ukrainians came to us from the Polish Orthodox Church.
JGHunter
Settling dust
Elder

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 10:02:51 AM »

Michal is like a fine wine.  He is an aquired taste, but an all around good guy. I miss him here.

I see, I'll resist the temptation to look and judge!

Lord Deliver Us.

Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2014, 10:47:49 AM »

I have visited Polish Orthodox churches in Poland on visits to Eastern Europe.  But the parishes I visited were made-up of ethnic Ukrainians,

It depends on the region, most of parishes of Lubelszczyzna are made up of Ukrainian or people having such roots. And the current bishop of this diocese has been working stronly on reminding to these people their Ukrainian roots.

not ethnic Roman Cathoics. 

How in an Orthodox parish there can be ethnic Roman Catholics? At least, in parishes in the countries/regions traditionally Orthodox/with significant Orthodox minority?...

Also a number of our priests in the UOCC who are ethnic Ukrainians came to us from the Polish Orthodox Church.
They probably come from the emmigration before the IIWW, so it's normal, as the boundaries of Poland (and the Polish Orthodox Church) were different, and a half of their territories were what's now Ukraine. So most of the members of the Polish Church actually weren't Polish Wink

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2014, 11:18:59 AM »

What church would Orthodox citizens of Poland who live in the UK usually attend? Probably either Ukrainian or Paris exaarchate ones under Constantinople?
JGHunter
Settling dust
Elder

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2014, 12:24:13 PM »

My roots are in Kraków (and the West Midlands of England!)

Lord Deliver Us.

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2014, 12:29:37 PM »

What church would Orthodox citizens of Poland who live in the UK usually attend? Probably either Ukrainian or Paris exaarchate ones under Constantinople?

Lots of the ones in the US attend ones under Moscow, or the OCA.  Is there some reason they wouldn't in the UK?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2014, 12:32:43 PM »

My roots are in Kraków (and the West Midlands of England!)
Btw, according to the ancient calendar of Kraków, St. Gorazd, the disciple and successor to St. Methodius, evangelized the region, and gave it its first Christian presence.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Leave that no-account Oogie-Boogie out of this!

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2014, 12:53:49 PM »

Lots of the ones in the US attend ones under Moscow, or the OCA.  Is there some reason they wouldn't in the UK?

There's no OCA in the UK. It's MP or ROCOR (which apparently still has a diocese in the British Isles). In practice, they have no issues with the EP or Antioch. There's not as much variety per location.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2014, 01:36:26 PM »

Well, there's no OCA in the UK, except possibly for American military bases.

As for the MP, most of the old Sourozh went over to Paris/the EP.

The new Sourozh is heavily recent immigrants from Russia. No idea if any Polish citizens attend there, but if I was Polish Orthodox , I'd remember Archbishop Miron (Chodakowski).
JGHunter
Settling dust
Elder

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2014, 01:57:17 PM »

The new Sourozh is heavily recent immigrants from Russia. No idea if any Polish citizens attend there, but if I was Polish Orthodox , I'd remember Archbishop Miron (Chodakowski).

Hehe, the idea of OCA in Britain seems, well, funny. It would be like America writing up a tome of the English language for our benefit. Not that Orthodoxy belongs to us and we gave it to them, but it was here already, no need for it to come back in an Americanised form.

Lord Deliver Us.

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2014, 02:09:43 PM »

There's no OCA in the UK. It's MP or ROCOR (which apparently still has a diocese in the British Isles). In practice, they have no issues with the EP or Antioch. There's not as much variety per location.

LOL. I should have known better than to indulge the Phanar's delusions as to the status of the OCA.  Its inclusion was just to cover all "Russian" bases.
Here in Chicago, the center of Polonia, the Poles go to the OCA.  They have their own parish, St. Joseph's.

Old Sourozh?  Alas! The Phanriots lost in court: there is only "Sourozh." None of it went over to the Phanar.  Some did leave it and submit to the Ultramarists.

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2014, 02:12:35 PM »

Hehe, the idea of OCA in Britain seems, well, funny. It would be like America writing up a tome of the English language for our benefit. Not that Orthodoxy belongs to us and we gave it to them, but it was here already, no need for it to come back in an Americanised form.
AFAIK, American Orthodoxy, which dates from 1738/9 (admittedly from the Russian Embassy Church, i.e. the Cathedral of Sourozh) predates British Orthodoxy.  I'm not sure off hand about the first British Orthodox (outside of the Colonials), though they date from later the same century at the latest.

Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2014, 02:35:58 PM »

AFAIK, American Orthodoxy, which dates from 1738/9 (admittedly from the Russian Embassy Church, i.e. the Cathedral of Sourozh) predates British Orthodoxy.  I'm not sure off hand about the first British Orthodox (outside of the Colonials), though they date from later the same century at the latest.

The first (Greek) Orthodox church in London was erected in 1677.

http://www.stsophia.org.uk/en_history.html

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2014, 02:56:01 PM »

Your source states "The Greeks worshiped in the Russian Church."

I was, however, speaking of the British:the British Isles do not include the Greek Isles.

Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2014, 02:58:46 PM »

I was, however, speaking of the British:the British Isles do not include the Greek Isles.

Yes, they did - after the congregation of the 1677 church dispersed and the building fell into disuse. Try re-reading the first five paragraphs, more slowly.

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2014, 03:25:58 PM »

Yes, they did - after the congregation of the 1677 church dispersed and the building fell into disuse. Try re-reading the first five paragraphs, more slowly.
No, I read them: please point out where they mention the British Orthodox.

Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2014, 03:37:23 PM »

First: 'Britain' didn't exist then (it was created by the union of England and Scotland in 1707), so neither were there British Orthodox.

Second: If a Russian church on Russian Embassy grounds (therefore Russian territory) can count as 'American Orthodoxy', then a Greek church on British soil can count as 'British Orthodoxy' as well.

Third: The Russian church mentioned in the source was of the same kind (Russian Embassy grounds) and established in 1698 by Peter the Great. Still 40 years ahead of the American chapter.

Fourth: In the end, the race is rendered quite irrelevant by the fact that the Church was established in the British Isles several centuries pre-schism, therefore counting as de facto Orthodox. If there were saints, there were more faithful as well.

JGHunter
Settling dust
Elder

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2014, 04:06:33 PM »

Britain existed before there were people on it. Then Christianity was brought to the Celts in the 4th century I believe. Celtic Christianity, which I know no details of, but then a monk called Augustine was made Archbishop of Canterbury (right at the end of the 6th century) under the church in Rome. They couldn't get the Celtic Christians to take Augustine seriously but... well details I don't know but isn't this about as "British" Orthodox as it gets? Obviously I have no idea about how any of this works.

Lord Deliver Us.

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2014, 04:38:11 PM »

First: 'Britain' didn't exist then (it was created by the union of England and Scotland in 1707), so neither were there British Orthodox.
I haven't seen any evidence of any British Orthodox except after 1707: were there any English Orthodox, Scottish Orthodox, Welsh Orthodox, Irish Orthodox or Manx Orthodox before then?

Second: If a Russian church on Russian Embassy grounds (therefore Russian territory) can count as 'American Orthodoxy', then a Greek church on British soil can count as 'British Orthodoxy' as well.
The American Philip Ludwell III (who, btw, gave George Washington his military commission and brought over John Wayles, Thomas Jefferson's father-in-law and the father of his concubine Sally) went back to Viriginia, where he was authorized by the Holy Synod to translate the Orthodox Catechism and IIRC the DL and take back the Eucharist.  He returned and died in England, however, where he is buried.  His translation was published in London.
Third: The Russian church mentioned in the source was of the same kind (Russian Embassy grounds) and established in 1698 by Peter the Great. Still 40 years ahead of the American chapter.
Did it have any English Orthodox, Scottish Orthodox, Welsh Orthodox, Irish Orthodox, Manx Orthodox or British Orthodox before the "American chapter"?
Fourth: In the end, the race is rendered quite irrelevant by the fact that the Church was established in the British Isles several centuries pre-schism, therefore counting as de facto Orthodox. If there were saints, there were more faithful as well.
Alas!  Anselm of Canterbury and Henry VIII took care of that for the point at hand.

Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2014, 05:44:23 PM »

I haven't seen any evidence of any British Orthodox except after 1707: were there any English Orthodox, Scottish Orthodox, Welsh Orthodox, Irish Orthodox or Manx Orthodox before then?

There are no surviving records from the Assumption church. We know who it was created to minister to, but not who actually attended. Were any of those Greeks naturalised as subjects of His Majesty (the only national designation in effect at the time)? Were there any natives of the Isles drawn to the congregation? We don't know. Whatever we say would be speculation. The only fact is that there was an Orthodox church in London in 1677.

The American Philip Ludwell III (who, btw, gave George Washington his military commission and brought over John Wayles, Thomas Jefferson's father-in-law and the father of his concubine Sally) went back to Viriginia, where he was authorized by the Holy Synod to translate the Orthodox Catechism and IIRC the DL and take back the Eucharist.  He returned and died in England, however, where he is buried.  His translation was published in London.

So it's on linguistic terms that you define American Orthodoxy?

Did it have any English Orthodox, Scottish Orthodox, Welsh Orthodox, Irish Orthodox, Manx Orthodox or British Orthodox before the "American chapter"?

See above, because repetition bores me.

Alas!  Anselm of Canterbury and Henry VIII took care of that for the point at hand.

And that invalidates the fruits of the ancient Church how?

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2014, 06:12:51 PM »

There are no surviving records from the Assumption church. We know who it was created to minister to, but not who actually attended. Were any of those Greeks naturalised as subjects of His Majesty (the only national designation in effect at the time)? Were there any natives of the Isles drawn to the congregation? We don't know. Whatever we say would be speculation. The only fact is that there was an Orthodox church in London in 1677.
No, it seems also another fact that it disappeared without a trace by 1684.
No, geographical-America being a geographical term.

See above, because repetition bores me.
Ditto.
Trees uprooted bear no fruit.

Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2014, 06:20:18 PM »

As the congregation gradually moved to other areas and the building could not be maintained, yes.

So both London churches, from 1677 and 1698, are legitimate specimens.

Trees blighted can recover in time, though.

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2014, 08:43:30 PM »

As the congregation gradually moved to other areas and the building could not be maintained, yes.
I thought you said the parish had no surviving records: how do you know that it retained any "congregation"?

Of what exactly?

Transplanted trees are not such a recovery.

DeniseDenise
Warned
Archon

« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2014, 09:09:52 PM »

Wow...

Poland is 'Britain'?

shocker
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2014, 09:26:29 PM »

Wow...

Poland is 'Britain'?

shocker
for the Poles or for the Brits?

DeniseDenise
Warned
Archon

« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2014, 09:30:38 PM »

Wow...

Poland is 'Britain'?

shocker

Well evidently since it's important to argue the history of Orthodoxy in historical British Isles....in a thread talking about Polish Orthodox Churches.....maybe its both Wink
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2014, 10:35:30 PM »

Wow...

Poland is 'Britain'?

shocker

Well evidently since it's important to argue the history of Orthodoxy in historical British Isles....in a thread talking about Polish Orthodox Churches.....maybe its both Wink
it might be: there is a question about a certain Jan Bohdan, who arrived in 1608 in Jamestown from Poland,  who might have been the first Orthodox settled in English territories.

DeniseDenise
Warned
Archon

« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2014, 10:38:54 PM »

Wow...

Poland is 'Britain'?

shocker

it might be: there is a question about a certain Jan Bohdan, who arrived in 1608 in Jamestown from Poland,  who might have been the first Orthodox settled in English territories.

Well since Jan is either dead ( or a vampire) neither of those will help the original poster find a Polish Church.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2014, 10:57:57 PM »

Wow...

Poland is 'Britain'?

shocker

Well since Jan is either dead ( or a vampire) neither of those will help the original poster find a Polish Church.
Here:

Lot's there.

Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2014, 07:18:21 AM »

Wow...

Poland is 'Britain'?

shocker

Well, nowadays in Poland Great Britain or/and Ireland is/are called the 17th województwo (Polish name for province) of Poland because of the high immigration Wink

it might be: there is a question about a certain Jan Bohdan, who arrived in 1608 in Jamestown from Poland,  who might have been the first Orthodox settled in English territories.

laugh It would be ridiculous if it turned out true

Edit: seriously, open a new thread for historical discussions about Orthodoxy in Britan. It would be very interesting and not hiding anotehr interesting topic which is Polish Orthodoxy Wink
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 07:19:22 AM by Dominika » Logged

Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2014, 12:40:22 PM »

I thought you said the parish had no surviving records: how do you know that it retained any "congregation"?

It didn't - which part of 'people moved to other areas and the building could not be supported' was unclear?

The American Philip Ludwell III (who, btw, gave George Washington his military commission and brought over John Wayles, Thomas Jefferson's father-in-law and the father of his concubine Sally) went back to Viriginia, where he was authorized by the Holy Synod to translate the Orthodox Catechism and IIRC the DL and take back the Eucharist.  He returned and died in England, however, where he is buried.  His translation was published in London.
Of what exactly?

British Orthodoxy, with 'British' being a geographical quantifier.

Alas!  Anselm of Canterbury and Henry VIII took care of that for the point at hand.

Transplanted trees are not such a recovery.

Nonsense. Both transplantation and grafting are successful husbandry practices, if the people involved know what they're doing. Didn't work too shabbily over there, either.

@JGHunter: What parish would someone of Polish ancestry attend? Whichever they could get to. For most locations, there are not many options available.

And with this, I'll nope out of the thread, because arguing the toss is not my idea of Sunday fun.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 12:41:17 PM by Arachne » Logged

JGHunter
Settling dust
Elder

« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2014, 02:05:17 PM »

@JGHunter: What parish would someone of Polish ancestry attend? Whichever they could get to. For most locations, there are not many options available.

And with this, I'll nope out of the thread, because arguing the toss is not my idea of Sunday fun.

This certainly appears to be the case!

And that's a good idea, arguments are never fun.

Lord Deliver Us.

mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2014, 03:01:15 PM »

to answer some questions:
someone is specifically asking about finding an orthodox church in uk that may be related to the polish orthodox church.
last year, i travelled on a ferry between britain and france.
in boats and airplanes traveling from uk, announcements have always been made in 2 languages; english and french, as these are considered international languages.
well, last year, all the signs on the boat were in english, french, and polish.
yes, polish has become the 3rd language used in uk due to the very large number of polish immigrants!

about orthodox Christianity in uk, saint john chrysostom wrote this about the story of the woman who anointed Jesus and wept:
"yet that a woman who was a harlot poured out oil in the house of some leper, in the presence of ten men, this all men celebrate throughout the world; and so great a time has passed, and yet the memory of that which was done has not faded away, but alike Persians and Indians, Scythians and Thracians, and Sarmatians, and the race of the Moors, and they that dwell in the British Islands, spread abroad that which was done secretly in a house by a woman that had been a harlot."
source:
http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/200180.htm

(this may predate the greek church...)
;-)
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2014, 03:47:37 PM »

Wow...

Poland is 'Britain'?

shocker

Well, nowadays in Poland Great Britain or/and Ireland is/are called the 17th województwo (Polish name for province) of Poland because of the high immigration Wink
btw, it's voivodeship in English.

Have they forgot about Chicago?
it might be: there is a question about a certain Jan Bohdan, who arrived in 1608 in Jamestown from Poland,  who might have been the first Orthodox settled in English territories.

laugh It would be ridiculous if it turned out true
Why would it be ridiculous?

The first time I went to Jamestown, it happened that I was with a group who were all Polish, from off the boat to several generations in the US.  We happened to come on Jamestown Day (the anniversary of the founding) when the site makes a big deal of it all, and I was thinking how it was that these Poles, who had (I thought) no roots in Jamestown yet claimed it as their own being American.   I was shocked when I found out how faulty my initial premise was.

Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2014, 10:20:16 AM »

Wow...

Poland is 'Britain'?

shocker

btw, it's voivodeship in English.

Have they forgot about Chicago?

It used to be called in such waybut It's not so popular destination since Poland entered the EU.

The first time I went to Jamestown, it happened that I was with a group who were all Polish, from off the boat to several generations in the US.  We happened to come on Jamestown Day (the anniversary of the founding) when the site makes a big deal of it all, and I was thinking how it was that these Poles, who had (I thought) no roots in Jamestown yet claimed it as their own being American.   I was shocked when I found out how faulty my initial premise was.

Interesting story, I think Polish Americans and Poles living in America it's another interesting topic. Oh, regarding this and the question which jurisdictions do Polish Orthodox attend, a few months ago there was an interview with a Polish Orthodox priest serving in USA, fr. Wiaczesław Krawczuk, who says that a lot of Orthodox Poles attend his parish that's the cathedral of Lord's Transfiguration that's Russian. But e.g. I see that one of the webmasters of their parish is Jacob Chrzanowski Wink

I also know that the biggest Polish Orthodox diaspora is in Belgium and there are plan to open a Polish Orthodox parish - for now, they attend mainly Russian ones as the services are in Church Slavonic and/or French

Tags: Polish Poland Heimbach-approved thread Rambam Thank You Ma'am 
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: