OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 26, 2014, 05:17:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More Good News: Pope's 'reform of the reform' in liturgy to continue  (Read 11574 times) Average Rating: 0
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #135 on: June 07, 2011, 01:28:44 PM »

As an aside, when and why did lobster become a luxury food? I read once that lobster and shellfish were previously considered peasant foods, and only something to eat when on the brink of starvation.

(Perhaps that's why shellfish is allowed?)
Don't be obtuse. Surely you have been to red lobster and seen the price of lobster tail. In this day and age it would make more sense to require the abstinence to be expensive food/delicacies instead of no meat. No meat was originally established because meat was more expensive than fish/seafood. That is no longer the case.

Are you sure about that?

I've read the avoidance of meat, as well as other animal products (dairy and eggs), is to remove and remind us of the animal nature of our fallen conditions. We abstain from animals in order to focus on our spirit. Also, abstaining from wine*, a luxury/pleasure to the mind, and oil (fried or craftily prepared food) help remind us that God, not earthly pleasures, is our goal and purpose.

Better than some marketing conspiracy, anyways.

I'm going to need this.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #136 on: June 07, 2011, 02:44:17 PM »

As an aside, when and why did lobster become a luxury food?

Perhaps it was, at root, a matter of changing supply. Many early Christians lived in geographical areas where fish and seafood would be more abundant than meat. Today the situation is much different.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #137 on: June 07, 2011, 02:58:58 PM »

As an aside, when and why did lobster become a luxury food? I read once that lobster and shellfish were previously considered peasant foods, and only something to eat when on the brink of starvation.

Don't be obtuse. Surely you have been to red lobster and seen the price of lobster tail. In this day and age it would make more sense to require the abstinence to be expensive food/delicacies instead of no meat. No meat was originally established because meat was more expensive than fish/seafood. That is no longer the case.
Yeah, try ordering a vegetable pizza. It's usually at least 30% more expensive than a meat pizza nowadays.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"Simply put, if you’re not willing to take what is dearest to you, whether plans or people, and kiss it goodbye, you can’t be my disciple."
bogdan
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #138 on: June 07, 2011, 11:10:27 PM »

Right. I agree, shellfish in modern times defeats the purpose of fasting, and personally I don't eat it on fasting days even though it's technically allowed, unless it's served to me.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: