OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 11:49:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mini crisis of faith :(  (Read 1264 times) Average Rating: 0
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« on: June 05, 2011, 08:11:00 PM »

Today, while I was at the Liturgy, I almost burst into tears. When everyone was reciting the Communion prayer, I was just wondering, "How long is it going to be before I get to participate?"

I know that things cannot happen right away, and I am just a few months into being a catechumen. But, and I know this is silly, the idea of finding a godparent for my chrismation and my marriage in the church has been putting so much stress in me. Although I have spoken with people in the church, I've hit a wall of sorts.

They've all known each other for years, and even though they greet me every week and I exchange a few sentences with some of them, nothing has gone further. I know that it will take some time for me and my husband to settle in to the church, but I have really extreme social anxiety issues, and part of me feels like that "fitting into" the church is the last obstacle to becoming Orthodox, and I feel like it will never happen. Even though I know it's irrational, I feel some resentment about that. I don't have my own car and I work 7 days a week, so I cannot go and drop in and help out the priest and the other women with cleaning, setting up, and their other activities. Sometimes I feel like I'll never be a part of the community.

I've thought about talking to my priest about this, but I am very ashamed to bring up my social anxiety. People who know me in person really don't believe that I have it, but I seriously almost hyperventilate when thinking about going to Coffee Hour after the Divine Liturgy. I think my priest would even be shocked if I shared that with him. Part of my hesitance in speaking to him is that I don't want to put the burden of trying to integrate me into the community on his shoulders.

Also, I felt a twinge of jealousy when people who I had never seen in all my months of attending the church, going up for communion. I know that it was very wrong to judge them, and I kept saying "Lord have mercy" in my mind until the thoughts died down.

I just guess that I feel like I'll always be an outsider, that I'll never be allowed in. The only somewhat comfort I have is that if I died tomorrow, I would probably receive a Orthodox burial. I want to be a part of the church so much, and I hope to move on from this.

Please pray for me.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 08:17:03 PM »

Lord have mercy.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 08:31:31 PM »

Lord have mercy.

Focus on our Lord during Holy Communion.
Christ is in our very midst in a special way during the Divine Liturgy.
He will answer your prayers.

Know that I will pray for you.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
arnI

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 08:41:08 PM »

One thing that seems to work is to participate in parish activities as much as you can so that you see others and they see you. During Lent, we have the opportunity to attend many services where the numbers attending are lower than Sundays, so the services are more intimate. If your parish has events outside of Sunday such as dinners, picnics, or community social programs, try to participate. Also, there are a number of weekday Liturgies through the year. The process of getting acquainted with others in your parish is perhaps as long as your catechumen phase. As far as watching others during Liturgy, I try to sit close where my focus is on the Liturgy, and not others around me. While others are taking Communion, I  read or recite prayers. I printed out a few prayers which I taped in my service book that I bring to each Liturgy. If distracted, I focus on the Theotokos. Just attempt to take it slow, and participate throughout the year to the extent that your job allows.  But of course, talk to your Priest.

Grant me to see my own errors and not to judge my brother
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 08:47:38 PM »

Lord have mercy on Your handmaiden.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 09:16:30 PM »

Lord, have mercy, unite your handmaiden to your church.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 09:17:30 PM »

LORD hav mercy!
StGeorge
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

St. George

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 10:19:33 PM »

Lord have mercy
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 10:52:47 PM »

Lord, have mercy.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 11:12:22 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2011, 11:16:23 PM »

Lord have Mercy.
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2011, 11:40:17 PM »

Don't be hesitant to approach your priest.    The priest wears the stole around his neck for several reasons.  One of them is to remind him that the souls of the flock entrusted to him are placed upon him as an entrustment which He willingly took on his ordination.  Fortunately, the Lord's yoke is not burdensome, especially if the priest looks to the Lord (and prays to the Lord) for empowerment to get it accomplished.   I would suggest immediately contacting him, telling him your concerns and that you were hesitant to lay this burden upon him, but that you need his help.   I would also suggest that you, as soon as possible, pray to God to give you the courage to take this step.  You will be surprised how things can fall into place.   The Lord doesn't want you wandering alone.   You are already as a catechumen are the warming wool hanging around the priest's neck.   Let him help you bear your burdens.   It is good for his soul, and for yours. 
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 01:47:02 AM »

Lord have mercy!

I used to be very frustrated at the Orthodox who used to go in just for communion and leave. But that was an issue I had to deal with a long time ago. The patience bit is hard, but it's better to be properly catechized.

On the social aspect, my same problem too. I'm just not in the same age group as the rest. It's tough to overcome and I still get nervous around my priest.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 01:53:01 AM »

Lord, have mercy.

May you be granted the strength to endure your trial.  You're not alone in struggling with your concerns, e.g. judging those receiving communion.

Also, no offense to Greeks, but they can be a hard lot.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2011, 01:58:12 AM »

Lord have mercy!

Might be hard to dive in, but you can do it. I found participating in smaller parish activities (labor) helped me to make connections.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2011, 02:00:23 AM »

Don't be hesitant to approach your priest.    The priest wears the stole around his neck for several reasons.  One of them is to remind him that the souls of the flock entrusted to him are placed upon him as an entrustment which He willingly took on his ordination.  Fortunately, the Lord's yoke is not burdensome, especially if the priest looks to the Lord (and prays to the Lord) for empowerment to get it accomplished.   I would suggest immediately contacting him, telling him your concerns and that you were hesitant to lay this burden upon him, but that you need his help.   I would also suggest that you, as soon as possible, pray to God to give you the courage to take this step.  You will be surprised how things can fall into place.   The Lord doesn't want you wandering alone.   You are already as a catechumen are the warming wool hanging around the priest's neck.   Let him help you bear your burdens.   It is good for his soul, and for yours. 

Father,

A lovely post. I had to get over some of my vanities (still am) to bring up stuff with my Priest I thought were "a waste of his time". He has always been helpful, understanding, and supportive.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2011, 09:03:46 AM »

hi, i also think you should take father hill's advice.
remember that the demons do not want us to get close to God, so will try to magnify any problems we have and make them excessive. don't take them too seriously, pray 'Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me, a sinner', and ignore their taunts as you would ignore the fury of a 2 year old stamping his feet.

i remember reading that you are busy at work.
would it be possible to start working less hours?
it may mean you have to accept a low salary and not get promotion, but i think it would be good for your soul.
i also work too many hours, but am coming to the end of one contract and i plan to make sure my next contract is less hours and less pay. it means people will respect me less, but that will be good for me as i am often tempted to be proud.

i also have some problems socially, again, most people would never guess (feel free to discuss privately if you wish).
but sometimes i have to be honest about my problems, eg. 'i really don't think i should be the one to talk to him, i'll say something inappropriate, did you consider asking that other person to do it?'
i know it's good sometimes to try to hide your problems, because people might freak out and not know what to do. but sometimes you need to be honest with people. it is scary, but being a little bit more open will stop you being tempted to be proud, and also shows the other person that you are asking them for help.

Christian family life isn't just about helping people, it's about asking for help, too, so that the other people can receive a blessing from God for helping you.

also, i remember the waiting period, i was tempted to jealousy of the people who were more fully involved.
it is important to resist this temptation and to pray for them instead.
God has wonderful plans for all of us, and none of us should wish to walk another person's path. their trials may be too difficult for us, just as ours may be too difficult for them.
God knows what He is doing as He passes out the blessings and the trials, so that we can all grow towards perfection and eventual unity with Him.

may God guide you dear sis Smiley
zekarja
High Elder

O Holy Prophet Zechariah, intercede to God for us!

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2011, 10:25:11 AM »

Lord, have mercy.

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2011, 08:28:21 PM »

I just wanted to thank everyone for their prayers and advice. It's heartwarming to know that I am in touch with an Orthodox community, even if it's not the one at my church right now. I will be meeting with my priest this week, and I will bring up the issue with him. How I will do that, I'm not sure yet. But I'm still praying...

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2011, 11:03:12 PM »

I just wanted to thank everyone for their prayers and advice. It's heartwarming to know that I am in touch with an Orthodox community, even if it's not the one at my church right now. I will be meeting with my priest this week, and I will bring up the issue with him. How I will do that, I'm not sure yet. But I'm still praying...
We are praying with you. I am glad you are going to talk to your priest. I am reminded of Ecclesiastes 4 where it talks about the value of two together. We are all better off helping and being helped than we are on our own.

Lord have mercy...

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2011, 11:12:43 PM »

and we'll be praying for you!  Smiley

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2011, 11:50:39 PM »

Just keep it simple.   The dialogue will develop but approach it giving the priest in simple terms what you are requestion:

1.  I would like some help in getting a sponsor
2.  I sometimes feel like I don't totally belong, and and worried about whether that will always be the case. 

The priest will take it from there.  In the dialogue, anything else that you have to say will be brought out.  But keep it simple:  the two main problems in basic terms first, and the rest will follow.   Also, give him both problems at the same time.  Both will be revisited in the conversation and be dealt with in order, but let him know on the front side what they are so that you don't forget or get side-tracked on discussing the first point.   Often what happens is that we go into a conversation and are so happy that the first point is dealt with that we forget to bring up the second (third, fourth, etc.).  Get it all out at once, briefly, and expand later.   
Phoenix73
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2011, 10:44:05 AM »

Lord Have Mercy
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2011, 04:48:07 PM »

thanks, father hill, bless  Smiley
it's great to read a 'how to ask a priest for advice' tip from a priest, we like to make things ore straightforward for you guys.
ismiliora,
i thank God that He has blessed your church with you.
i think He loves them very much
 Smiley
love4christu

Faith: ORTHODOX CHRISTIAN

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2011, 09:19:37 AM »

Please don't worry. Just with prayer and petition and thanksgiving, make the first step an don't worry, walk closer to Christ and do not let the enemy show you bad thoughts.

Most Holy Theotokos and
Lord Jesus Christ have mercy!
In the name of Father Son and Holy Sprit
Amen...
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: