OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 03:17:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Komitas  (Read 2609 times) Average Rating: 0
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« on: June 14, 2004, 09:46:19 PM »

I picked up a CD not too long ago. It was called "Divine Liturgy" and it was sung/chanted according to the compositions of some guy name Komitas. I loved the music, it was truly amazing, so I decided to find out more about this guy named Komitas, this is what I found:

GOMIDAS VARTABED - KOMITAS (1869- 1935)
One of the most renowned Armenian Churchmen and musician of modern times was Gomidas Vartabed, also known as Komitas. He was born Soghomon Soghomonian in Kutaha, Asia Minor in the year, 1869. His life had an interesting turn of events, when at the age of eleven, he was orphaned, and at a young age he was sent to a Seminary in Etchmiadzin to study. Because of his singing prowess, he decided to teach music at the Seminary after he completed his studies. In 1896,  Soghomon was ordained  a monk or  “apegha” of the Armenian Church. A few years later he was ordained a “Vartabed”, and as is the practice in the Armenian Church assumed his new name “Komitas”(or Gomidas).
Komitas learned a great deal of music from the monks and continued to study music with the famous composer Kara-Mourza, which eventually led Komitas into both secular and religious music. Komitas continued to study music, and in 1896, he was awarded a doctorate degree in musicology. He later returned to Etchmiadzin as a choir director, and Instructor of music at the Seminary.

Komitas wrote over three thousand songs in Armenian, Arabic, Kurdish, and Persian, and also contributed significantly to the modern Armenian Badarak.  His main contribution was to rediscover Armenian folk music. He spent years traveling throughout the provinces and visiting many villages listening to native songs and dances, and making notes of them for further analysis. His work in arranging and collating the folk music he had collected over the years eventually became excellent songs for chorus music, and made the public aware of the existence of true Armenian music. In addition to the folk music, Komitas arranged the entire music of the Divine Liturgy (Badarak) of the Armenian Church, for male voices.

The internationally known priest was the first non-European to be a member of the International Music Society. Komitas performed concerts in Paris, Geneva, Berne, Constantinople, Venice, and Alexandria. It is interesting to note that in the spring of 1915, during the imprisonment of leaders of the Armenian community, Komitas too was taken into custody. Through the efforts of Henry Morgenthau, Ambassador from the United States of America, and the Turkish poet Mehmet Emin Yurdakul, who admired Komitas’ work,  Komitas was released.

After the April 24, 1915 massacres of the Armenian people by the Turks, he succumbed to mental and physical anguish and never fully recovered.  Komitas lived as if a walking corpse for the next twenty years. The revered holy man died in Paris on October 22, 1935 in a mental hospital. One year after his death his ashes were transferred to Yerevan and interred in the Yerevan Panthenon.  In the 1950’s his manuscripts were transported from Paris to Yerevan where they were being studied and published
------------------

Komitas Vartabed: Genius of Armenian Music

Komitas Vartabed, whose name at birth was Soghomon Soghomonian, was born in 1869 at Gudina in Asia Minor. Orphaned at 11, he was sent to live in the monastery at Etchmiadzin, the Holy See of the Armenian Apostolic Church. His talent as a singer brought him to the attention of Catholicos Kevork IV, who determined that the youth should be nurtured and encouraged. In 1893, Soghomon entered the sacred priesthood of the Armenian Church. At his ordination, in accordance with Armenian Church tradition, he was "reborn" and given a new name, Komitas. Two years later, he was elevated to the rank of Vartabed. ( a "learned man" of the Church)

A talented musician, Komitas traveled to Berlin to continue his musical studies at the conservatory and at the Frederick Wilhelm Imperial University. In 1899 Komitas Vartabed Soghomonian graduated with the degree of Doctor in Musicology. Komitas Vartabed's major contributions to Armenian musical tradition are his collection of folk music, and his Badarak (Divine Liturgy) of the Armenian Church. Komitas had become influenced by the secular music common in the various regions where Armenians lived and by overly European harmonization. In an exhaustive effort to restore the tradition melodies of the Liturgy, he traveled widely to rural Armenian villages in search of the most elder priests; he reasoned that their chanting would be closest to the original melodies of the Badarak. His efforts to restore the "true" sounds of the Armenian liturgical music tradition reach us today in the form of his Badarak, most notably the version written for three-part men's chorus, his personal preference.

It is, however, in his works based on simple folk melodies that one recognizes Komitas' genius. Using simple musical elements he is able to create works of great depth and sensitivity that both challenge performers and enthrall listeners. On April 24, 1915, the day marking the beginning of the Armenian Genocide, Komitas Vartabed was imprisoned in Constantinople along with nearly 200 other intellectuals. Miraculously, he survived and was released after a period of imprisonment. His collected works and research of Armenian folk music were partially destroyed and left in disarray. This tragedy, coupled with the suffering he witnessed among his people, was more than he could bear. Physically and emotionally weakened for the remainder of his years, he was unable to complete his life's work. Komitas Vartabed died in Paris on October 22, 1935.

Thanks to the efforts of Armenian musicologists and musicians Komitas' music continues to be researched and resurrected. Komitas Vartabed is acknowledged to be the premier Armenian composer and musicologist of his time. His works, both secular and liturgical, continue to be performed throughout the world.
------------

I really enjoyed his inspiring story, and his contribution to Armenian music is truly amazing.

It is the best CD that I own!

"I prefer to be accused unjustly, for then I have nothing to reproach myself with, and joyfully offer this to the good Lord. Then I humble myself at the thought that I am indeed capable of doing the thing of which I have been accused. " - Saint
Arystarcus
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2004, 09:52:49 PM »

That is very interesting Ben. I had heard of Komitas, but didn't know too much about him, but your post helped that out.  Smiley

Where'd you pick up the cd?

In Christ,
Aaron
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2004, 09:57:50 PM »

I actually picked up the CD at Barnes and Noble, in the international CD section.

"I prefer to be accused unjustly, for then I have nothing to reproach myself with, and joyfully offer this to the good Lord. Then I humble myself at the thought that I am indeed capable of doing the thing of which I have been accused. " - Saint
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2004, 10:01:23 PM »

I highly reccomend the CD! Anybody who is reading this ....go out and get it!!! lol...sorry but it is truly awesome!

mourad

Mia, not mono!

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2004, 08:42:54 AM »

might just check it out today! Is the style very Byzantinish, Ben?
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2004, 10:31:41 PM »

Well...sometimes...it seems to be a combo of byzantine, russian, and gregorian chants, with polyphony mixed in here and there. It is really incredible, but yes it is pretty Byzantinish, but I love byzantine chant, so thats a plus from my perspective.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2004, 10:32:10 PM by Ben » Logged

Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2004, 11:25:32 PM »

Well...sometimes...it seems to be a combo of byzantine, russian, and gregorian chants, with polyphony mixed in here and there.

Woah!  Gregorian?!  May have to look into that... Grin

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2004, 11:30:48 PM »

lol pedro. It seems to be a hodge podge of everything with a byzantine flavor. Some parts are gregorian and then others seem to be the exact opposite. But if you like gregorian.......I suggest you pick up "Gregorian Chants for All Seasons" by the Choir of the Vienna Hofburgkapelle. It is 2 CDs, each about 50 minutes long. I got it at Barnes and Noble for only 12 bucks, hmmm maybe it was 13, somewhere around there! Smiley

Ghazar
Armenian Orthodox Christian

"Ghazaros, toors yegoor:" "Lazarus, come forth."

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2004, 05:48:17 PM »

Dear Friends of Christ,

I am a new member to the forum.  I have a great appreciation for our beloved Gomidas Vartabed, of the Armenian Church.  In the city of Detroit, there is a statue dedicated to his honor and to those who perished in the Armenian Genocide.  In our Church, he is almost like St. Romanos the Melodist to the Eastern Orthodox.  For those wanting to become more familiar with Godmidas and his work there is a CD available which has the actual voice of Gomidas (titled surprisingly "The Voice of Komitas Vardapet") singing various Armenian cultural and religious songs.  Its quite a gem for those of us who hold him in high regard.  Btw, the difference in spelling (for those who may be wondering) between "Godmidas Vartabed" and "Komitas Vardapet" are a result of differing Armenian dialects.  Don't let this confuse you.   I am most familiar with standard western Armenian.

If anyone needs more info. on Gomidas, feel free to contact me.

Trusting in Christ's Inextinguishable Light,
Rev. Sub-Deacon Ghazaros Der-Ghazarian,
Holy Apostolic Orthodox Church of Armenia, Eastern Diocese USA
The Armenian Orthodox Evangelization Mission: www.looys.net
ambrosemzv

Pray unto God for us, Holy Ambrose of Optino!

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2004, 07:18:10 PM »

Welcome to the forum, Ghazaros!  It will be nice to have an actual member of the Aremenian Apostolic Church to answer our questions and give your perspective.

Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne comprend pas.  -Pascal
Arystarcus
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2004, 02:09:13 AM »

Ghazaros,

I would also like to take a moment to welcome you to the forum.  Cheesy

I look forward to hearing your perspective on things and in the process to also learn more about your faith and the Armenian Orthodox Church.

May God bless you.

In Christ,
Aaron

PS- I wanted to let you know that I really liked your site and I enjoyed reading your spiritual autobiography as well as seeing some Armenian iconography, which I have rarely come across.  Smiley
Ghazar

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2004, 03:15:57 AM »

Dear Ambrosemzv and Arystarcus,

I thank you both for your gracious words of welcome.  I've been a member of the Byzantine Forum for a few years and this is how I learned of this forum.  I consider it a great grace to be able to dialogue with my new found brethren here in the Orthodox Christianity Forum.  I'm glad to have the opportunity to learn from you all and to build one another up in our Orthodox faith.  Thank you, again, for your welcome.

p.s.  Thanks for your kind words on the site.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2004, 04:12:58 AM by Ghazaros » Logged

Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
Warned
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2004, 11:28:06 AM »

Dear Ghazaros,

Welcome to the forum!  We are honored by your presence.  I have a great love for the Armenian Apostolic Church, especially for the late Patriarch H.H. Karekin Sarkissian.  What a scholar!  The Armenian Church and the Council of Chalcedon is a fantastic read, and so well researched and written.  I also enjoyed the interview with His Holiness entitled Between Heaven and Earth.  As you can see, I have spent a little time at St. Vartan's bookstore! Grin  I'm sure your contributions here will enrich the forum greatly.

Peace,

Nick
« Last Edit: July 16, 2004, 11:29:33 AM by Antonious Nikolas » Logged

“Nothing is better than to realize one’s weakness and ignorance and nothing is worse than not to be aware of them.” - St. Peter of Damascus
Ghazar

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2004, 12:06:15 AM »

Sorry, Nick, that I missed this.  I also enjoyed H.H.'s book on Chalcedon.  Very informitive!  It helped me a lot to understand why my Church took the stance it did.  I think its even more significant knowing that it is he that signed the Christological agreement with the Pope of Rome.

What is "Between Heaven and Earth" like?  My pastor knew the late Catholicos personally and says I should read any of Catholicos' writings I can get my hands on.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome and sorry I missed your message.

paul2004
Paul
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2004, 11:29:37 AM »

I enjoy listening to the liturgy composed by Komitas  (the Choir of St. Gayane). Though I don't know Armenian, I can appreciate the music and the great spiritual fervor in the sinigng. It is heavenly!
I have also the recording of liturgy composed by Makar Ekmalian.

-Paul
Tags: music Armenian Church Oriental Orthodox Music liturgical music Orthodox Music Gomidas Vartabed 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: