OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 05:56:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Epistle to the Romans  (Read 1247 times) Average Rating: 0
Twenty Nine

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of America

« on: June 14, 2004, 12:53:20 PM »

Is there a good source out there collecting commentary by the Fathers on the epistle to the Romans? I am specifically looking for commentary on justification.

I checked ccel and did not find much (or, at least it was not clearly presented).

Of course, there is John Chrysostom and Origen (though I could not find his commentary on-line). Are there others who wrote extensively on Romans?

Greg

Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is gracious, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. - Philippians 4:8
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2004, 03:58:13 PM »

I just got that new commentary on Romans published by Concilliar Press.  I'll look through it and see how frequent the patristic commentary is and get back to you.

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Time-wasting self-embarrassing anti-Christian hater

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 04:38:19 PM »

Bump.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 05:41:12 PM »

Best I can do...

Ancient
- St. John Chrysostom - Homilies on Romans
- Origen - Commentary on the Epistle to the Romans (In 2 Volumes for $80 from CUA Press)
- Ambrosiaster - Commentaries on Romans and 1-2 Corinthians (starting at $29 at amazon)
- Ancient Christian Commentary On Scripture: Romans (starting at $20 at amazon, there is an index of authors cited/quoted that is viewable at amazon)

Modern
- Lawrence R. Farley - The Epistle to the Romans: A Gospel For All ($14 at amazon)
- Archbp. Dmitri Royster - St Paul's Epistle to the Romans: A Pastoral Commentary ($19 at amazon)

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 08:36:03 PM »

Use these links too an online Bible site(the best I have seen), scroll down below the parallel verse list, you will find several commentaries on that verse.

http://bible.cc/romans/4-25.htm

http://bible.cc/romans/5-18.htm
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 08:36:31 PM by Sinful Hypocrite » Logged

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 08:52:27 PM »

Blessed Theodoret of Cyrus has a commentary on Romans (as well as just about every other book of the Bible). I looked for it online, but couldn't find it accept for purchase.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
akimel
Fr Aidan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR (Western Rite)

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 12:51:05 PM »

Greg, in addition to the commentaries already cited by others above, you might want to take a look at J Patout Burn's commentary on Romans in The Church's Bible collection.  I have not examined the volume, but the purpose of the series is to introduce readers to the exegesis of the Fathers.

Among contemporary commentaries, take a look at N. T. Wright's "Paul for Everyone" commentary on Romans.  Wright also has a longer commentary on Romans in the New Interpreters Bible commentary series. 

You mention wanting something specific to read on the Apostle Paul and justification.  Take a look at my recent blog series on this subject, beginning with "Eastern Orthodoxy and the Apostle Paul."  Unfortunately, Orthodox theologians and scholars have not written very much about justification, preferring instead to skip right to theosis.  This, I think, is unfortunate--especially given the fact that justification is an important theme for the Apostle.  (Hint: when reading the Epistle to the Romans, read chapters 1-4 through the lens of chapters 5-8.)   

Twenty Nine

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 01:32:26 PM »

Wow, it has been nine years since I first posted this topic.

Since then, N.T. Wright has helped shape my understanding of Romans. Ironically, I am about to start reading Karl Barth's Epistle to the Romans.

Greg

Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is gracious, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. - Philippians 4:8
akimel
Fr Aidan
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 01:44:19 PM »

Wow, it has been nine years since I first posted this topic.

Since then, N.T. Wright has helped shape my understanding of Romans. Ironically, I am about to start reading Karl Barth's Epistle to the Romans.

Greg

LOL. I didn't even notice the date for the original article.  I just saw it near the top of recent topics.  Glad to hear that you have found Wright so helpful. 

William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Time-wasting self-embarrassing anti-Christian hater

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 04:09:21 PM »

Does NT Wright's stuff go into detail on explaining how Romans does not support Anselmian atonement?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
akimel
Fr Aidan
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 06:39:21 PM »

Does NT Wright's stuff go into detail on explaining how Romans does not support Anselmian atonement?

I have not gone back through my Wright books to see what he says about atonement, but you may find of interest this article by him:  "The Cross and the Caricatures."  And here is a recent article by Wright on justification:  "Justification: Yesterday, Today and Forever."

Hope this helps.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2013, 02:17:15 AM »

I seriously cannot believe NT Wright isn't Orthodox at this point.

Something political must be holding him up.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Zimmy

Faith: Coptic Orthodox

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2013, 11:12:55 PM »

I'm reading the book of Romans now, and I had a few questions.

In Chapter 7, St. Paul talks about being at war in the flesh. In verses 17 and 20, when talking about doing what he "wills not to do," he repeats the phrase, "It is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me." What does this mean? Why is "sin" personified here?

And I also have a question that ties in with justification. What is the predestination that is acknowledged in 8:30?
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 08:06:01 PM »

Go here http://biblehub.com/romans/7-17.htm

Scroll down and you will see many commentaries for this verse, and you can find many good commentaries for any verse at this Bible site.

My thoughts are that it is the flesh being separate from the soul that is weak and sins, the soul knows better but cannot control the flesh .
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 08:10:49 PM by Sinful Hypocrite » Logged

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
akimel
Fr Aidan
High Elder

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2013, 09:21:42 AM »

I have started to blog on the Epistle to the Romans.  I invite you to join me in reading and reflecting on this great letter by the Apostle Paul.

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2013, 10:14:21 AM »

I have started to blog on the Epistle to the Romans.  I invite you to join me in reading and reflecting on this great letter by the Apostle Paul.

Why you are using a contemporary non-Orthodox authors instead of Patristic ones? Aren't there any available?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 10:16:13 AM by Alpo » Logged

akimel
Fr Aidan
High Elder

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2013, 11:46:27 AM »

Why you are using a contemporary non-Orthodox authors instead of Patristic ones? Aren't there any available?

As far as I know, no competent Orthodox biblical scholar has published a commentary on Romans that is available in English.  Who do you recommend?

I am and will be consulting St John Chrysostom's homilies on Romans, but so far I am not finding him at all helpful, at least as an interpreter of Paul.  
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 11:54:54 AM by akimel » Logged

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2013, 12:27:08 PM »

As far as I know, no competent Orthodox biblical scholar has published a commentary on Romans that is available in English.  Who do you recommend?

I am and will be consulting St John Chrysostom's homilies on Romans, but so far I am not finding him at all helpful, at least as an interpreter of Paul.  

I just thought there might be some specific reason for using these authors instead of Orthodox ones but I understand the hardship of linguistic barrier. The only Orthodox author I know is Fr. Mikael Sundqvist who published his dissertation about St. Paul some years ago. Here is some information in English.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: