OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 11:52:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dangerous Music?  (Read 3450 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2012, 07:50:08 PM »

People single out rap/hip-hop too much. Rock/Metal is just as 'dangerous' and profane, if not even worse. Going back further, all of the ancient tales and epics are no better either. The Odyssey is about violence, getting wealth, sleeping with women and drinking just like most modern music. Going even further, many people misunderstand hip-hop culture. If you actually listened to the lyrics and think of what led to this, you would get a better perspective. Hip-Hop is the minorities' music that started out when American slaves could not afford instruments so they had to use their lyricism as their instrument. Political controversy in music has almost always been led by hip-hop because hip-hop is where minorities express their rage against society, touch upon these issues and albeit at times just unleash their anger in a strange, gonzo sort of fashion like NWA. Look up songs like 'Brenda's Got a Baby' and 'Trapped' by Tupac or 'Fight the Power' by Public Enemy and 'F*** Da Police' by NWA.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Cantor Krishnich
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Pan-Orthodox Christianity

Mar Ahmed the Daftadar

« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2012, 09:33:26 PM »

People single out rap/hip-hop too much. Rock/Metal is just as 'dangerous' and profane, if not even worse. Going back further, all of the ancient tales and epics are no better either. The Odyssey is about violence, getting wealth, sleeping with women and drinking just like most modern music. Going even further, many people misunderstand hip-hop culture. If you actually listened to the lyrics and think of what led to this, you would get a better perspective. Hip-Hop is the minorities' music that started out when American slaves could not afford instruments so they had to use their lyricism as their instrument. Political controversy in music has almost always been led by hip-hop because hip-hop is where minorities express their rage against society, touch upon these issues and albeit at times just unleash their anger in a strange, gonzo sort of fashion like NWA. Look up songs like 'Brenda's Got a Baby' and 'Trapped' by Tupac or 'Fight the Power' by Public Enemy and 'F*** Da Police' by NWA.

I agree about some rock/metal songs being just as bad or worse.....I dont think the Slaves used rap but rather Black Spiritual Hymns. I would say that rap/hip-hop in its clean/morally ok versions (not the much of the crap you hear on todays radio), is a form of artistic expression and has origins as far back as the West African Griots Storytellers.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 09:40:51 PM by Cantor Krishnich » Logged

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Have Mercy Upon Me a Sinner!
amartin

Faith: Apostolic Quakerism/Hesychasm/KriyaYoga
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2012, 10:04:36 PM »

ALL music made by unspiritual people is dangerous. This includes the Rock N' Roll of the Evangelicals which is obviously wrong. If someone does not experience this then they are on a very low level. We should only listen to spiritual music.
Timon
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2012, 11:07:21 PM »

ALL music made by unspiritual people is dangerous. This includes the Rock N' Roll of the Evangelicals which is obviously wrong. If someone does not experience this then they are on a very low level. We should only listen to spiritual music.

like this?? 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DO09VDTPyQ

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
amartin

« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2012, 11:43:14 PM »

like this?? 

Yes. That is spiritual music and is edifying.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2012, 11:45:21 PM »

like this?? 

Yes. That is spiritual music and is edifying.

Comment:

Dead flowers remind me beautiful things in don't last forever.

Sad when people don't see the beauty in death.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2012, 11:51:54 PM »

Interestingly, a great argument can be made about the so called war epic the Iliad that is it an incredible tale of the woes of war and the dignity of the "enemy". Perhaps it is just felicitous where most of the texts happen to end.

The ending of the Iliad remains one of the most beautiful and touching accounts in literature of a real loss of a good man, Hector.

The Tamer of Horses.

His memory will truly be eternal as one can be in this world. A loving husband, father, son, brother, citizen, and man.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2012, 02:23:14 AM »

And what defines "spiritual" versus "unspiritual" music?  Perhaps those who are really "on a very low level" are those who cannot spiritualize the vast majority of seemingly worldly songs.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Ergib
O Lord according to Your mercy; not according to my sins.

« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2012, 08:50:13 AM »

By choice, I don't listen to unspiritual/worldly music. It dose me any good.
crux_84

« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2012, 02:49:08 PM »

Im listening to Wesley Willis right now.For those who dont know he was an overweight black schizophrenic with an extremely charming childlikeness.His songs are completely idiotic and full of cuss words but its like listening to a charmingly naughty 10 year old.Yet the guy proclaimed to have 3 specific demons.Heres my favorite song of his he wrote about being thrown out of his protestant church.("They Threw Me Out of Church"). <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EZKApT6vC0g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

"The Christian punx are the society of St. John the Forerunner."
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2012, 02:58:54 PM »

Im listening to Wesley Willis right now.For those who dont know he was an overweight black schizophrenic with an extremely charming childlikeness.His songs are completely idiotic and full of cuss words but its like listening to a charmingly naughty 10 year old.Yet the guy proclaimed to have 3 specific demons.Heres my favorite song of his he wrote about being thrown out of his protestant church.("They Threw Me Out of Church"). <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EZKApT6vC0g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Haha. I remember that guy... specifically the McDonalds song.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
crux_84

« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2012, 03:04:38 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PaoLy7PHwk

This is dangerous music, because it speaks the truth.

hahaha..that made me so happy.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 03:21:29 PM by crux_84 » Logged

crux_84

« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2012, 03:05:24 PM »

Haha. I remember that guy... specifically the McDonalds song.

Mcdonalds is the place to rock!

amartin

« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2012, 03:17:42 PM »

McDonalds is definitely forbidden. It is a cesspit of grease, harmful foods, and relies on inhumane treatment of animals.
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2012, 03:19:49 PM »

McDonalds is definitely forbidden. It is a cesspit of grease, harmful foods, and relies on inhumane treatment of animals.

But its SOOOOOO good!  Its my 2nd favorite fast food joint only to Chik-fil-a.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
crux_84

« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2012, 03:22:47 PM »

As I suspected Wesley Willis was an agent of the devil....but then he sorta suddenly changes his mind at the end and proclaims that "Mcdonals hamburgers are the worst."
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 03:24:11 PM by crux_84 » Logged

primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2012, 03:34:45 PM »

McDonalds doesnt create the hamburger. That is like accusing you of Chicken abuse because of your 2-piece wing and thigh meal you bought.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
alanscott
Elder

Faith: Protestant
Jurisdiction: Wesleyan

« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2012, 04:59:24 PM »

Whatever my neighbors are listening to past 12AM. After 3AM it takes on possible dangers of a physical nature.

Grin  Well said!!

There are heathens that live with more virtue than I. The devil himself believes Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Neither of these things truly makes me Christian.
Immanuel

Jurisdiction: Metropolitanate of Montenegro and the Littoral

« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2012, 12:56:47 PM »

Hey all,

what kinds of music are spiritually dangerous? 
Rock music. Especially heavy metal, black metal and so on.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2012, 01:43:51 PM »

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2012, 02:32:51 AM »

Pretty sure the most beautiful song created in the last several decades was both metallic and spiritual (seriously). That's my objectively subjective opinion of fact.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 02:34:07 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2012, 09:59:27 AM »

Pretty sure the most beautiful song created in the last several decades was both metallic and spiritual (seriously). That's my objectively subjective opinion of fact.

Such a great song and record!

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2012, 10:03:06 AM »

There is "spiritually dangerous" music in every genre, so we shouldnt single out any particular genre.  I hate when people link heavy music with "evil" music when its the innocent sounding pop garbage that kids listen to on the radio is probably more dangerous than anything. 

— Chrysostom

BLOG
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2012, 01:04:53 PM »

Anything by Die Antwoord is spiritually damaging...but it is really catchy!
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2012, 06:16:48 PM »

There is "spiritually dangerous" music in every genre, so we shouldnt single out any particular genre.  I hate when people link heavy music with "evil" music when its the innocent sounding pop garbage that kids listen to on the radio is probably more dangerous than anything. 

Yup. Dangerous music= crappy music.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2012, 06:45:59 PM »

Go to youtube, and watch "they sold their souls for rock and roll".

It's an amazing documentary.  The full documentary is 10 hours long.  It's a wake up call to the modern Christian about music like no other that I've seen.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #71 on: May 14, 2012, 07:00:09 PM »

It's an amazing documentary.  The full documentary is 10 hours long.  It's a wake up call to the modern Christian about music like no other that I've seen.

You'd think if they sold their soul that the Devil would have given them a better deal. I mean, seriously, have you seen Ozzy? Satan gets them for all of eternity and all the devil could manage to give them was a few good years of partying? He can't even manage to help these guys grow old gracefully--in looks if not in actions?

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2012, 07:08:42 PM »

You'd think if they sold their soul that the Devil would have given them a better deal. I mean, seriously, have you seen Ozzy? Satan gets them for all of eternity and all the devil could manage to give them was a few good years of partying? He can't even manage to help these guys grow old gracefully--in looks if not in actions?

Well he was a liar since the beginning.  I dunno why they did it.  Yes, I've seen him.  He's famous.  His wife is on TV tonight.  His children are famous.  He has tons of money.... but in my opinion he's an absolute mess.

Anyway, it's a great documentary.  Absolutely a must see.   Amazing stuff & history lesson on music as well.   Just watch a few excerpts at least.  If you watch from beginning to end, it is amazing.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #73 on: May 15, 2012, 06:31:29 PM »

I could buy Lemmy having maybe made some pact with Satan. Maintaining perfect health while subsisting entirely on bacon, liquor, and narcotics would be difficult to pull of without supernatural aid of some sort.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: