Author Topic: My brain hurts.  (Read 792 times)

Offline Red A.

My brain hurts.
« on: June 02, 2011, 08:58:45 PM »
I'm on Catechetical lecture 11 and I'm in so far over my head I'd have to change planes twice to get a breath of air.

Walking into the Orthodox church I thought I was passingly adequate in my knowledge of the bible but every moment I move forward in my lessons here I feel like such a neophyte.

Often segment of the lecture seems to repeat itself, but there is often just a subtle change of tense or even paradigm that hints at a new look at what was to me an old concept. 

For a person that regards himself as passingly intelligent this is a humbling experience.

No point, just venting.

Offline KBN1

• High Elder
Re: My brain hurts.
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 10:00:07 PM »
For a person that regards himself as passingly intelligent this is a humbling experience.

Story of my life...  ;)

Offline Benjamin the Red

• Recovering Calvinist
  • OC.net guru
  • Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 10:02:18 PM »

Story of my life...  ;)

+1.
"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy

Offline dcommini

• Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
  • OC.net guru
  • Beannachd Dia dhuit
    • Life of an Orthodox Soldier
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 10:04:27 PM »
I'm on Catechetical lecture 11 and I'm in so far over my head I'd have to change planes twice to get a breath of air.

Walking into the Orthodox church I thought I was passingly adequate in my knowledge of the bible but every moment I move forward in my lessons here I feel like such a neophyte.

Often segment of the lecture seems to repeat itself, but there is often just a subtle change of tense or even paradigm that hints at a new look at what was to me an old concept. 

No point, just venting.

One often finds the truth humbling... I was chrismated almost a year ago and there is plenty I do not know, I learn more every day. It is very humbling indeed to think that you know so much only to find you never knew it at all.

Story of my life...  ;)

+1.

+2
N/OblSB

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...

Offline IsmiLiora

• Chronic Exaggerator
  • Archon
  • Back by unpopular demand.
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 10:19:12 PM »
I feel like this every day. The other OC.net posters put me to shame. Utter shame.

Humbling indeed!
She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right

Offline Red A.

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 10:47:39 PM »
Thanks everyone, I am now done with 11. I always suspected it went much deeper than I was getting outside the Orthodox Church, but I had no idea how tough it would really be. This is every bit as tough to digest as the first time I read zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance, but this time I have to turn in a book report at the end of each chapter. Nice to hear others have had the same experience.

It is very humbling indeed to think that you know so much only to find you never knew it at all.
This is exactly where I am right now. Each door opens to a new concept with yet more doors, each horizon leads to a new view of many other horizons. My trouble that adds to this experience is that I want it all right now. I feel I was deprived for too many years of this instruction and I feel I am playing catch up to get where I feel I should be.

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Toumarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 10:56:08 PM »

Isn't Orthodoxy beautiful?!?

It's infinite...the more you learn...the more you realize there is still to learn.

There's no end to it!

I love it!

Orthodoxy truly is Eternal in every sense of the word!

...and Eternity is always humbling.
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline Kasatkin fan

• High Elder
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 12:53:10 AM »
I think the best approach to take to learning about Orthodoxy is always one of the Catechumen, there is always so much more to learn. Obviously this doesn't apply to how one should approach the chalice though.  ;)

Offline mwoerl

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 04:57:45 AM »
Catechetical Lecture Number 11? Book report after each chapter? Sounds like ... I'm not sure what that sounds like ... is it an entire class? when its all over a mass baptism? or ... ? that sort of thing is outside-waaayyyy outsdie of my experience with Orthodoxy! not saying its bad or good - just something i have never seen ... awfully organized .... it seems ....

Offline Red A.

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 03:46:44 PM »
Catechetical Lecture Number 11? Book report after each chapter? Sounds like ... I'm not sure what that sounds like ... is it an entire class? when its all over a mass baptism? or ... ? that sort of thing is outside-waaayyyy outsdie of my experience with Orthodoxy! not saying its bad or good - just something i have never seen ... awfully organized .... it seems ....
Nope no class, this is done on an individual basis. There are classes on the history of the church and there was a class given on the Divine Liturgy. For the Catechetical lectures, each lecture is broken up into small segments and we are required to give our thoughts or interpretation of each section. Lecture 11 is broken up into 24 sections, lecture 12 has 34. It is sent to me via e-mail on a word document and I send my report back the same way.