OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 17, 2014, 05:43:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "My Exodus from Roman Catholicism" new book by Bp Paul Ballester  (Read 3109 times) Average Rating: 0
jah777
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« on: June 02, 2011, 04:10:16 PM »

Bp Paul Ballester, the Roman Catholic Franciscan who converted to Orthodoxy before the Vatican II and was later made an Orthodox bishop, has been mentioned before on this list and a fairly lengthy article by him concerning his conversion can be found here:

http://www.johnsanidopoulos.com/2009/08/why-i-abandoned-papism-by-bishop-paul.html

A new book has just been published in English which appears to contain a more lengthy account, together with footnotes.  This book can be read online at:

http://www.oodegr.com/english/biblia/Ballester/perieh.htm

And it can be purchased for $10 from:

http://saintnicodemos.org/products/MyExodus.php
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 04:12:53 PM »

An "exodus" implies that he had been in "slavery". Roll Eyes

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 05:49:25 PM »

Well, some people might interpret the Pope's powers that way...

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 05:52:56 PM »

Does ring a bit grandiose.

But maybe it was the publisher's decision.

At least journey occurs nowhere in the title.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 06:07:27 PM »

I've read the link to the bio on him and honestly can't understand what his complaints were?  Why is it unreasonable to assume that St. Paul, at least acknowledged St Peters supremacy over him, even if it wasn't exercised at all by the latter?   

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 06:18:47 PM »

+1

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Sleeper
OC.net guru

On hiatus for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 07:09:46 PM »

So you're saying I should probably ditch the working title of my conversion book, The Journey Down the Road to the Path of The Orthodox Way?
Wyatt
Archon

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 07:17:15 PM »

Well, some people might interpret the Pope's powers that way...
And those people are absurd. I was free from the "powers" of the Roman Pontiff for 18 years of my life as a Protestant Christian. I entered the Roman Catholic Church on my own accord, and despite all the anti-Catholic indoctrination I had received as a Protestant in the Holiness Movement.
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 07:22:02 PM »

+1
+100

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Kasatkin fan
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Archdiocese of Canada

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 07:32:08 PM »

Not really. One might infer it though.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 10:00:22 AM »

I think we are falling into a hole here, both Orthodox and Roman Catholic alike. Questing the orthodoxy of our mutual Saints is dangerous and a slippery slope indeed. I'm not sure that was what was intended, but the graphic response it elicited certainly shows that a raw nerve was touched.

That, and the topic of this thread is a book which has not yet been discussed.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 10:53:52 AM »

So you're saying I should probably ditch the working title of my conversion book, The Journey Down the Road to the Path of The Orthodox Way?

If you decide not to use this title, let me know.  I might need it; after all, every convert needs to have written at least one book within five years of joining the Church

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 11:14:43 AM »

Discussion regarding Orthodox and Roman Catholic views on St. Peter have been split off to this thread.  Please keep this thread on topic about the book in the OP and its author.  Thank you.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Sleeper
OC.net guru

On hiatus for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 05:52:11 PM »

If you decide not to use this title, let me know.  I might need it; after all, every convert needs to have written at least one book within five years of joining the Church
laugh
David Garner
Elder

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2011, 06:44:46 PM »

Reminds me of Bruce Lee's book, "Tao of Jeet Kune Do."

Which means "the way of the way of the intercepting fist."

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2011, 08:10:13 PM »

How about this for a title:

The Journey Down the Road to the Path of The Orthodox Way Over the River of Catholic Lies and Through the Wood of Protestant Heresy to the Lord's House

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2011, 11:44:58 AM »

The Journey Down the Road to the Path of The Orthodox Way Over the River of Catholic Lies and Through the Wood of Protestant Heresy to the Lord's House

I was going to suggest The Journey Down the Road to the Path of The Orthodox Way Home, but that doesn't seem very interesting after reading your suggestion.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2011, 12:19:33 PM »

I was going to suggest The Journey Down the Road to the Path of The Orthodox Way Home, but that doesn't seem very interesting after reading your suggestion.

Cool

jah777
OC.net guru

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2011, 02:03:54 PM »

So, I guess nobody is interested in reading beyond the title then?
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2011, 07:47:41 PM »

I wouldn't assume that people didn't read beyond the title. I know I read the whole article.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2011, 10:43:58 PM »

It's interesting to me to hear Orthodox Christians point out differences and disagreements between Orthodoxy and Catholicism, because I find that if Catholics point out differences and disagreements between Orthodoxy and Catholicism, Orthodox are offended.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2011, 10:46:47 PM »

P.S.

because I find that if Catholics point out differences and disagreements between Orthodoxy and Catholicism, Orthodox are offended.

Granted, some of those cases are a matter of Catholics presenting the differences in an offensive manner.

Agabus
Archon

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2011, 12:03:16 PM »

If you decide not to use this title, let me know.  I might need it; after all, every convert needs to have written at least one book within five years of joining the Church
Or at minimum to have a blog dedicated solely to the process of converting.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 12:03:37 PM by Agabus » Logged

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2011, 12:18:33 PM »

Hmm, hold on, I have to go delete an account with blogspot a website...

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2011, 12:23:45 PM »

P.S.

because I find that if Catholics point out differences and disagreements between Orthodoxy and Catholicism, Orthodox are offended.

Granted, some of those cases are a matter of Catholics presenting the differences in an offensive manner.

And Orthodox doing the same thing, sadly. I think it is quite possible to point out differences dispassionately without resorting to emotionalism and hyperbole. The way in which we talk about faith matters is extremely important. I don't think we often realize the damage we do to others when we go about it the wrong way. We turn people off to any understanding at all because of our faulty methods.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Hermogenes
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2011, 03:45:45 PM »

I read the whole thing. Very moving. Why was he assassinated? Was it related to his anti-papist stance?
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2011, 03:52:49 PM »

If you decide not to use this title, let me know.  I might need it; after all, every convert needs to have written at least one book within five years of joining the Church
Or at minimum to have a blog dedicated solely to the process of converting.  Roll Eyes

I think some folks could really do an excellent job of blogging about anything in life including "conversion".

That being said 99.99% can't.

Like most inquirer talk at my parish or what I read here of inquirers, the blogs really aren't about a "journey toward Orthodoxy" but "an angry or sad trudge away from x".

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2011, 03:54:12 PM »

The Spirit is descended!
It's interesting to me to hear Orthodox Christians point out differences and disagreements between Orthodoxy and Catholicism, because I find that if Catholics point out differences and disagreements between Orthodoxy and Catholicism, Orthodox are offended.
Can you give some examples? as I've never heard such a thing.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Agabus
Archon

« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2011, 02:00:32 PM »

I think some folks could really do an excellent job of blogging about anything in life including "conversion".

That being said 99.99% can't.
That's my experience.

Like most inquirer talk at my parish or what I read here of inquirers, the blogs really aren't about a "journey toward Orthodoxy" but "an angry or sad trudge away from x".
QFT *10^27

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2011, 02:51:04 PM »

Polemical titles are nothing new in Orthodoxy--some of the literature from the 1600s has titles that many today would consider "over the top."  I have to admit that sometimes I enjoy cleverly-constructed polemical titles, even if I am one of the least confrontational people around Smiley

That being said, the title of this book cannot compare to the experts of catchy and polemical titles, the Synod in Resistance. For instance:

The Heresy of Ecumenism and the Patristic Stand of the Orthodox
“Ecclesiological Ostriches”
Orthodox Catholicity or Papocentric Globalism?

Titles like that make an "exodus from Roman Catholicism" seem rather pedestrian Smiley

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2011, 03:41:56 PM »

I read the whole thing. Very moving. Why was he assassinated? Was it related to his anti-papist stance?

I do not think the reason has been determined, but I have heard there is some veneration for him as a martyr. Assassination by papist agents (whether or not the pope supported it or not) is not new. The same thing happened to Patriarch Cyril Lukaris of blessed memory, whose character was later assassinated as well through the continuing libel that he was a Calvinist. He was, instead, a defender of Orthodoxy against papism, and also anathematized Calvinism and the confession regrettably ascribed to him.

elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2011, 04:06:44 PM »

I do not think the reason has been determined, but I have heard there is some veneration for him as a martyr. Assassination by papist agents (whether or not the pope supported it or not) is not new. The same thing happened to Patriarch Cyril Lukaris of blessed memory, whose character was later assassinated as well through the continuing libel that he was a Calvinist. He was, instead, a defender of Orthodoxy against papism, and also anathematized Calvinism and the confession regrettably ascribed to him.

laugh laugh laugh

Great history there!!

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: