OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 24, 2014, 09:40:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did you talk to your parents before you converted?  (Read 2012 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« on: May 22, 2011, 10:45:16 PM »

Did you talk to your parents about your conversion before you converted?
Did you live with them at the time?
How old were you at the time?

Therefore prepare yourself and arise, and speak to them all that I command you. Do not be dismayed before their faces, Lest I dismay you before them.  For behold, I have made you this day a fortified city and an iron pillar, and bronze walls against the whole land...
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 10:50:50 PM »

Yes, I talked to them. It was scary for me at the time, but they turned out to be approving.   Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
OC.net guru

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 01:16:29 AM »

I sent them an email that said my children would be baptized and my wife and I would likewise be received in two weeks, and they were welcome but not obligated to come. They already knew where my family had been attending church for some time, though we never had a serious conversation about it.

In fact, to this day the only one to ask me a serious question about it is my brother who is 13 years younger... But then again, one of my wife's grandmothers once asked us something along the lines of "Do they preach the Gospel at your church?"
Not for years.
26 at the time of my formal conversion.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 01:18:41 AM by Agabus » Logged

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL ORTHODOX CHURCH
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 01:39:57 AM »

I'm not yet a convert, or even a catechuman, but I thought I'd jump in.  I am 17, and a few weeks ago announced to my mom that I intended to join the Orthodox Church.  That was exceptionally nerveracking for me, but turned out ok.  After that I slowly got the word around to everyone in my house (grandma, two sisters, and step dad) and have told some other people via the internet.  Those were all extremely less nerveracking. 

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Russell

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Baptised Russian Orthodox

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 03:06:29 AM »

I never announced about converting but my gradual interest in it was shared.  My parents were happy to see me attending church regularly after many years of not even going for easter.

Mathe 24:36
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 12:07:25 PM »

I told my parents it was going to happen (and they came to the confirmation service) but it was something I ever really discussed with them beforehand.
CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

Ask w/ tears, seek w/ obedience, knock w/ patience

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 12:56:35 PM »

I haven't lived with my parents in some time but we are very close so it became somewhat of an ordeal. The friction really came in how I delivered the news to them though. I tried to explain it to them the way that I learned it and it became clear to me. That of course leaves no room for where someone else is at or how they'll connect it unfortunately. But basically my parents saw it as a reproach on them and were very offended and thought I was telling them that they now were going to hell. Now after many long conversations and my patience being tried more than I ever imagined, they are starting to see that I really am looking for Christ and their interest is even a little peaked. Their interest may not even be in Orthodoxy but they are thinking about their spirituality more which is good.

My only advice which isn't worth anything: Even though I'm sure you're excited and you wanna tell everyone everything that you learn, patience and baby steps are so valuable. Don't try to give meat to those who need soft food. Start with love and understanding in all your dealings.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 12:57:14 PM by CBGardner » Logged

Authentic zeal is not directed towards anything but union in Christ, or against anything but our own fallenness.

"Beardliness is next to Godliness."- Asteriktos
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica Metropolitanate

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 06:35:57 PM »

Yes, No, in my early 30's.

God did not create man equal.  Samuel Colt made man equal.  Blessed be the Peacemaker.
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: Netodox
Jurisdiction: OC.net

Work hard, pray hard.

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 07:48:59 PM »

I'm 16 right now and I expressed my interest to my parents about a year ago. They weren't happy about it for a long time but at this point they give me rides to Liturgy on Sundays.

I wish you'd all just shut up. Then at least you would appear to be wise. - Job 13:5 ISV
katherine 2001
High Elder

Eastern Orthodox Church--Established in 33 A.D.

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 08:29:44 PM »

No, I didn't tell my parents, as they were both dead by that time.  I was 44 when I was received into the Orthodox Church.  My father had died almost 2 years earlier, and my mother had died 12 years earlier.  I think they would have been happy for me because they could tell that I was a lot happier.  I did dread telling one of my brothers.  He is a pretty staunch Baptist, while my other brother is an athiest and could care less what I am.  My brother that is a Baptist and my sister-in-law were great about it--they could tell that I was much happier.  It was important for my brothers to be okay with it, as they are the only members of my immediate family that I have left. 
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 09:23:16 PM »

I told my parents and I invited them to my baptism.  I told them I had no expectation either way, but if they could make it and wanted to be there it would be cool.  They live 200 miles away and it was during harvest season so I was not surprised when they said they wouldn't be there.  I don't think there is an issue there, but my parents are pretty non-confrontational.  A friend of mine from high school converted a number of years ago and my mother was pretty worried about that at the time and said some silly things so sometimes I wonder...  I think she is mostly ok with it, but she is a pretty staunch baptist.  Anyways, I was 31 when I converted. 
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 10:28:00 PM »

1. Yes. Sometimes I think I talked to them too much, as to be overbearing, but they were glad to see me so passionate about Church. They attended a few services as well as my chrismation, and have always been supportive. (Whatever you do, don't get into deep discussions or debates unless they start the conversation. And stop talking when it's clear that they're done, if a conversation does come up.)

2. Yes.

3. 20s.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 01:04:53 AM »

1. Yes.  They were extremely surprised a child of my generation would become something "traditional"; they're both lapsed traditional Catholics. My dad naturally assumed I had been identifying more with Buddhism.

2. Yes.

3. 19 years old.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 01:05:41 AM by NicholasMyra » Logged

"...you are the orphan, not the protagonist."

-St. Seraphim of Vyritsa, 'This was from me'
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

Если бога нет, то все позволено

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2011, 05:51:37 AM »

No, but this is mostly because we were/are living thousands of miles away form one another, and I thought trying to skype that conversation might be awkward. What's more, they are, at best, indifferent to religion.
No, I did not live with them.

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
-Metropolitan Kallistos Ware
trifon

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian Patriarchate (currently Archdiocese of Thyateira)

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2011, 06:43:23 AM »

I did talk to my parents, and they were supportive.  They aren't overtly religious Catholics, and my father especially has a great interest in Buddhism and Hinduism.  Haven't lived with them for a few years now, they are a few hundred km away from where I am now.  I was in my 20's when I converted. 
Shiranui117
Formerly known as "Wandering Sheep"

Faith: Orthodox (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: ACROD/OCA

PUDDI PUDDI!

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2011, 09:26:48 PM »

I have yet to begin the conversion process on any formal level and that may or may not be a while coming, but I did finally let my little secret out to my parents. My mother is supportive, my dad just asked why, after all I went through to become Roman Catholic. I'm 17 and still living at home.
TheodoraElizabeth3
Elder

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2011, 11:12:19 PM »

Didn't talk to my parents about it until well into attending an Orthodox Church (I was a catechumen after six months, and chrismated a year after that). Things are well...strained. And I live several states away.

My parents took it pretty badly. I was raised RC and they still are (mom was a convert due to a high school friend). They had no issues with me becoming Episcopalian (I think because my mom had a grammar school classmate whose dad was an Episcopal clergyman), but Orthodox? I was consciously throwing over the Pope!

Things were strained with my parents for YEARS before I told them I was becoming Orthodox, so this didn't make much difference.

I was early 30s at the time, single.
Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)

Christos Anesti!

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2011, 11:54:41 PM »

Yes I did I had both my parents permission (their divorced) before I became a catechumen. that being said I still had problems with my Grandma.

"Come ye take light from The Light that is never overtaken by night and glorify the Christ, who is risen from the dead"
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2011, 08:24:54 AM »

i sort of mentioned to them that i was going to the orthodox church and got the usual 'yes, dear. now did you hear about...' and 'moving onto other topics' reply.
after i became orthodox i got (and still get) the usual worries about whether i had become muslim (we speak arabic, so must be similar to muslims... groan!). no-one else is orthodox, so i have passed from the category of 'weird' (why else would i study arabic if i wasn't weird) to 'worryingly weird'.
i was in my '30s so didn't live with them for a long time.
basically they try to be polite about it, and occasionally we have good chats, but mostly i feel like i have some kind of embarassing problem. as for fasting... hmm, maybe best not go there...  Undecided

maybe i am oversensitive and should not have expected them to be very happy and then seek out their local orthodox church!

william, i am pleased to hear you get lifts to liturgy, that's lovely, praise God.

james rottnek, i hope your family continue to be ok with it.
take cb gardner's advice and take it step by step. i think the hardest thing is when we are very happy at a new discovery only to find that others are quite sure we have gone mad and so we can't really share it with them. so take things slowly  Smiley
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2011, 10:09:25 AM »

My father's question was "Is that the group that goes around mutilating squirrels?"

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2011, 10:12:43 AM »

Didn't talk to my parents about it until well into attending an Orthodox Church (I was a catechumen after six months, and chrismated a year after that). Things are well...strained. And I live several states away.

My parents took it pretty badly. I was raised RC and they still are (mom was a convert due to a high school friend). They had no issues with me becoming Episcopalian (I think because my mom had a grammar school classmate whose dad was an Episcopal clergyman), but Orthodox? I was consciously throwing over the Pope!

Curious that they felt that way.

So, just to clarify, do you mean that you first converted from Catholicism to Episcopalianism, and later converted to Orthodoxy? Or that you thought about converting to Episcopalianism but instead converted to Orthodoxy?

Anastasia1
OC.net guru

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2011, 04:21:38 PM »

My father's question was "Is that the group that goes around mutilating squirrels?"
How odd... I wonder how that came to be.

Therefore prepare yourself and arise, and speak to them all that I command you. Do not be dismayed before their faces, Lest I dismay you before them.  For behold, I have made you this day a fortified city and an iron pillar, and bronze walls against the whole land...
mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2011, 05:06:25 PM »

yes, i also want to know!
anastasia, what is your story? were you born into an orthodox family? or was that protestant pakhlava you were eating?!
 Wink
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2011, 05:21:42 PM »

Yes, I told them both soon after I returned from Iraq. My father (baptist background, but his family used to be RC before he was born IIRC, my brother will correct me on this if I am wrong) didn't really care as he was interested in going to some EO churches when we lived in Chicago but never did, though he does (in his typical fashion) try to make his particular form of Protestantism "seem" holier than my form of "idol worshipping paganism" even though he knows such is not the case (you have to know him to understand his sense of humor)  Roll Eyes.
My mother (baptist background as her father was a baptist preacher, don't know what she considers herself now) just told me my brother was also thinking of converting and I should talk to him. She also said the Orthodox Church was too iconographic for her, but looking at her house you would never guess  Cheesy. I did sometimes get the feeling that she didn't think too highly of the EO Church but she was more than happy to attend a Vespers service or an evening Liturgy with my brother and I when she could...

No, I had moved out of my mom's place right after I finished my army training abt 6 years ago.

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2011, 06:05:35 PM »

My father (baptist background, but his family used to be RC before he was born IIRC, my brother will correct me on this if I am wrong) didn't really care as he was interested in going to some EO churches when we lived in Chicago but never did, though he does (in his typical fashion) try to make his particular form of Protestantism "seem" holier than my form of "idol worshipping paganism" even though he knows such is not the case (you have to know him to understand his sense of humor)  Roll Eyes.

Grandma and Grandpa were Roman Catholic growing up, I'm not sure if they converted before or after Dad was born. 

Dad did attend a church in the Ukranian Village for a service or two right after he moved to Chicago (his voice activation on his cell phone screwed up and called the house phone in Florida while he was there and wouldn't hang up), but I don't know if it was an actual Orthodox Church or Ukranian Catholic (my guess would be Catholic as that was the church closest to his apartment) and Dad didn't know there was a difference.

He did end up going with me to this past Christmas Eve Compline service at an OCA parish and has had a bug up his butt ever since over "you guys pray to Mary".  I guess I should have taken him to the Greek cathedral for that one- as long as it was in another language he never would have known!

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2011, 06:11:09 PM »

Well then, I have explained that to him before, and he never seemed to have a problem with praying to the saints. Oh, well.

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2011, 07:46:23 PM »

They found out when I invited them to my Chrismation.

Yes

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2011, 08:28:59 PM »

How odd... I wonder how that came to be.

Well, you had to know him.

This video clip will give you some idea: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITY4eTUYups&feature=related

Anastasia1
OC.net guru

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2011, 09:25:04 PM »

yes, i also want to know!
anastasia, what is your story? were you born into an orthodox family? or was that protestant pakhlava you were eating?!
 Wink
Pakhlava-Armenian Great grandparents.

Born-Lutheran, fam is more non-denominational now. Set foot in an Orthodox church on Palm Sunday within a couple weeks of finishing a very long time to get my BS degree. Still live at home.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 09:28:10 PM by Anastasia1 » Logged

David Garner
Elder

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2011, 09:52:39 PM »

I did.  It went well -- we went through the same when we converted to Lutheran (from Baptist), so they weren't too shocked.  They knew the Lutheran Church we were attending wasn't as liturgical and traditional as the one we came from, so it was probably somewhat expected. 

We did not live with them at the time, and I was 40 at the time.

TheodoraElizabeth3
Elder

« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2011, 11:03:40 AM »

Curious that they felt that way.

So, just to clarify, do you mean that you first converted from Catholicism to Episcopalianism, and later converted to Orthodoxy? Or that you thought about converting to Episcopalianism but instead converted to Orthodoxy?

I went from Catholic, lapsed 10 years after graduation from Catholic high school, Episcopalian for five years, and then found Orthodoxy through an acquaintance.
mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2011, 03:42:22 PM »

so i guess your parents were like 'george's' parents in the seinfield comedy clip peter j quoted.
i had to laugh at that clip, it shows really well how people can over-react without even knowing what it is they hate and why.

i think we just need to keep working at having some kind of relationship with them, the best we can, and show them God's love.
Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)

Christos Anesti!

« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2011, 04:53:42 PM »

oh and I lived with my mom at the time not my dad and I was 15

"Come ye take light from The Light that is never overtaken by night and glorify the Christ, who is risen from the dead"
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: