OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 24, 2014, 10:02:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the significance of the church you're baptised into?? Thnx  (Read 697 times) Average Rating: 5
Poppy
OC.net guru

Faith: Muslim
Jurisdiction: Hanbali fiqh

onlytwatsusetwitter
« on: June 02, 2011, 06:44:19 AM »

If you start off being baptised into the Greek version of the Orthodox faith then are you always known after that as Greek Orthodox or just plain Orthodox?? Joining that question is this one as well.... Do you have to have a Greek Saint (and not any other one) and last one.... Do you come under a certain jurisdiction all your life or does that change depending on where you move to and what type of Orthodox church you go to?? Like if you start out Greek baptised then go to a Russian one even though you can attend any Orthodox church... do the Russians look at you and think yeah but your Greek Orthodox because that's where you were baptised??

Sorry jumbled questions
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 07:05:46 AM »

If you start off being baptised into the Greek version of the Orthodox faith then are you always known after that as Greek Orthodox or just plain Orthodox??

Someone might jump on me for saying this, but there is no such thing as a Greek Orthodox Christian -- there are just Orthodox Christians who are under the authority of a bishop of the Church of Greece, Cyprus, Constantinople, &c.

I am under the authority of the Archbishop of the Greek Archdiocese of Australia, but I never refer to myself as "Greek Orthodox" and would quite happily commune in a Russian or Serbian or Bulgarian Church.

Joining that question is this one as well.... Do you have to have a Greek Saint (and not any other one)

Any name of any saint of an Orthodox Church is acceptable. That's how the Russians ended up with names like Nikolai and Fyodor, after all.

and last one.... Do you come under a certain jurisdiction all your life or does that change depending on where you move to and what type of Orthodox church you go to?? Like if you start out Greek baptised then go to a Russian one even though you can attend any Orthodox church... do the Russians look at you and think yeah but your Greek Orthodox because that's where you were baptised??

This one is more complicated. While you will not be refused communion in a Russian Church if you were baptised in a Greek Church, it must be kept in mind that in the past it was not possible to jump from jurisdiction to jurisdiction without actually physically leaving the territory of your particular bishop -- eg: crossing the border from Constantinople's territory into Bulgaria's territory. You should always keep this in mind when considering issues of jurisdiction and the authority of the bishop.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 07:29:11 AM »

No but that's exactly what i needed to know.... especially the last part... thanks AM
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 07:31:30 AM »

So when do you think we will get a English patriarchate (?) Bishop here then?? America have got one so how long do you think before we get one because the British Orthodox one is under the coptic Bishop or something like that??
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 07:36:42 AM »

Creating new autocephalous (independently governed) Churches is a controversial issue and North America is the great example of this. There won't be an autocephalous Church of England in the predictable future.

There are about 10 Eastern Orthodox Bishops in and of England. I don't know much about the Oriental Orthodox Churches.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 08:15:22 AM »

I would say not to expect an autonomous, let alone autocephalous, British jurisdiction for some time.  North and Central America have over 50 bishops - certainly more than enough for a united autonomous/autocephalous synod - and the closest we have is the Orthodox Church in America which is not recognized as autocephalous by most Churches (though, the majority of Orthodox Christians are under Churches recognizing it) and it only has 34,000 attendees (compared to several times that for the Greeks) on an average Sunday. 

As for whether or not people baptized by the Greeks consider themselves Greek Orthodox, by the Russians Russian Orthodox, etc., I can only tell you based on those people I know.  Let me start with this, at the Greek Orthodox Church in Prescott, AZ (St. George Orthodox Church - IIRC that is exactly what the sign says, no mention of "Greek") there are two priests.  One of them got a theological degree from St. Herman's Seminary (an OCA seminary in Alaska, and following the Russian tradition), and is a Greek priest - though not ethnically Greek.  The other is of Irish-Catholic heritage and was trained through St. Stephen's Course (this may have been because he may well be the oldest non-monastic ordained in North America in the history of Orthdooxy) and is actually a priest of the Romanian Archdiocese, and is a supply priest for them but usually serves alongside the main priest at the parish, and serves on his own on Friday mornings.  So, those are two examples of how inter-connected Orthodoxy can be in America (the UK may well differ).  But, of all the people I've met at St. George, I have never heard anyone refer to themselves as Greek Orthodox, just Orthodox.  They don't talk about Russian Orthodoxy or Greek Orthodoxy or Romanian Orthodoxy, but about Orthodoxy (unless people are comparing the liturgical, or other unique, practices of a particular ethnic group, then of course they mention the ethnic affiliation).

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 08:27:04 AM »

Ok thanks. Every time i mention i'm interested in the Orthodoxy to ppl over here they say.... oh Jewish lolOl and i'm like NO!?!?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 08:28:47 AM by Poppy » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: