OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 22, 2014, 02:02:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winston Churchill  (Read 1759 times) Average Rating: 0
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« on: June 13, 2004, 05:12:21 PM »

I just read an article claiming Winston Churchill was a devout druid. Any one know if this is true?

if you want to read the article/essay - http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/obscure2/druid.html

"I prefer to be accused unjustly, for then I have nothing to reproach myself with, and joyfully offer this to the good Lord. Then I humble myself at the thought that I am indeed capable of doing the thing of which I have been accused. " - Saint
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2004, 06:00:02 PM »

Winston Churchill was not a "devout druid" of the pagan variety but a member of a secular "druidic" organization that promoted poetry and British literary arts.  It is far from a secret Freemason organization and most definitely not sun worshippers who prance about Stonehenge during the solstices.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2004, 04:04:28 AM »

ah ok...thanks Schultz.

"I prefer to be accused unjustly, for then I have nothing to reproach myself with, and joyfully offer this to the good Lord. Then I humble myself at the thought that I am indeed capable of doing the thing of which I have been accused. " - Saint
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

Pray for me an unworthy sinner

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2004, 04:08:26 AM »

Shultz is correct here.  The same goes for Dr. Rowan Williams, the protestant AB of Canterbury, with a similar organization dedicated to promoting traditional Welsh culture and language.

Joe Zollars

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2004, 04:13:54 AM »

hmm...thanks Joe!

JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2004, 04:17:47 AM »

yeah some people make a big deal over it, but it is no different than say someone participating in "Hieland games" if they are of Scottish or Ulster-scott (Sctoch-Irish) descent.

Joe Zollars

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2004, 05:14:29 AM »

Yep, it's just that the word druid now has mythopoeic or neopagan connotations where originally if I understand it correctly, the usage was wider than a supernatural focus.

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2004, 06:12:16 PM »

It is often useful when finding something, shall we say, unusual or a "startling revelation" on the Net to go to the home page if possible or check other parts of the site or the links.  One may find that the promulgator of the "information" may have an ax to grind or a particular hobbyhorse in harness or that it's sheer nonsense that someone thinks means a great deal.  "Extraordinary Claims require Extraordinary Proof".  Just being in print or on the web doesn't make something so.

Thank you, Joe for mentioning the case of The Right Rev. Rowan Williams. That bit of furor a while back was tiresome.  One point, I don't think any other Church has an Archbishop of Canterbury and anyway, if there were "Cantuar" would be the *Anglican* ABC.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2004, 07:04:37 PM »

sorry Ebor I said the P word out of habit.  I generally clarify with Protestant or Anglican as not all here are as familiar with that See as you or I.

Joe Zollars

theodore

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2004, 09:18:21 PM »

I just read where presidents Harding, Franklin Roosevelt, Truman, Kennedy and Ford were all Elks.  It's strange that they would transmogrify into an animal such as the Elk, but there's a web site which says that they actually became one of those animals.  Oh wait, they were members of the Elks Lodge Fraternal Organization!  I guess people can take things out of context and read too much into them.  Smiley
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2004, 11:19:54 PM »

LOL, Theodore. And there's so much of this transmogrification out there will the Elks and the Moose and the Lions Club...

And then there is that society of the "Odd Fellows".. must be something strange there.  Grin Grin

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: