OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 07:51:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: monachos.net?  (Read 2063 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Denver

« on: June 02, 2011, 10:33:55 PM »

I seem to be very, very out of the loop here, but what exactly is "monachos.net"?  I've been to the site and it seems interesting...an Eastern Christian forum?  Is it somehow related to OC.net?

thanks!!!  Smiley

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 11:01:20 PM »

My experience is that monachos.net is a Web site and discussion forum devoted to the study of Orthodox Christianity from a patristic, monastic, and liturgical point of view. The discussions there, IIRC, tend to be much deeper and much more academic than what you'll generally find here at OC.net. To my knowledge OC.net and monachos.net are not in any way connected to each other outside of their common devotion to Orthodox Christianity.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 11:02:04 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 11:02:29 PM »

My experience is that monachos.net is a Web site and discussion forum devoted to the study of Orthodox Christianity from a patristic, monastic, and liturgical point of view. The discussions there, IIRC, tend to be much deeper and much more academic than what you'll generally find here at OC.net. To my knowledge OC.net and monachos.net are not in any way connected to each other outside of their common devotion to Orthodox Christianity.

I see.  Thanks for the helpful info, PTA!   Cool

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 11:03:32 PM »

I see.  Thanks for the helpful info, PTA!   Cool
Any time. Smiley
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 11:20:39 PM »

In my opinion, Monachos is not that academic.  I've seen at least one thread where misinformation about the OO's is repeated, but efforts to correct the misinformation got the thread shut down.  What is allowed to be posted over there seems to be very controlled.

It is, in my opinion, a very boring place.  That may be why some people think it is academic.  Boring=Academic.   Cheesy

And no, Monachos is not related to OC.net.  I don't think anything related to OC.net could be that boring. Smiley

Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 11:21:39 PM »

In my opinion, Monachos is not that academic.  I've seen at least one thread where misinformation about the OO's is repeated, but efforts to correct the misinformation got the thread shut down.  What is allowed to be posted over there seems to be very controlled.

It is, in my opinion, a very boring place.  That may be why some people think it is academic.  Boring=Academic.   Cheesy

And no, Monachos is not related to OC.net.  I don't think anything related to OC.net could be that boring. Smiley

haha  Cheesy  I picked up on that, too.  It is a bit boring  Grin

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 11:22:54 PM »

Bot that approves registration messaged me that my name (they require a full name as a login) is invalid so I couldn't create an account there.

I hope the another one CAF thread won't emerge here Wink

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 11:47:10 PM »

Well, I think you have a very nice name, and if Monachos doesn't like it, that's their loss.

Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 12:18:08 AM »

haha  Cheesy  I picked up on that, too.  It is a bit boring  Grin

I don't know.  Maybe we are being too hard on them.  I just clicked on over there and saw that they had 11 new posts today.   Shocked Shocked Shocked   I don't think I could keep up with posting at such a breakneck speed.

Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 01:06:23 AM »

I just clicked on over there and saw that they had 11 new posts today.

Perhaps someone needs to start up a toll house thread over there to fire them up.   Grin

Seems to me that the site itself is a helpful, centralized search point for Patristics, Orthodox articles and the like.  Never spent time on the forum.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 01:08:55 AM »

If you start that one, I'll start a thread entitled "Pews: Why not?"

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 01:14:15 AM »

That's my experience as well. Monachos seems highly intellectual, but at the same time very narrow-minded and uncritical.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 02:44:39 AM »

Bot that approves registration messaged me that my name (they require a full name as a login) is invalid so I couldn't create an account there.

I hope the another one CAF thread won't emerge here Wink
Same thing happened to me. I tried to register a few times, attempted to contact the board, and finally just gave up.

Silly Stars
Father Peter
Archon

Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 03:48:56 AM »

I used to post there for a long time and it was my main forum. I racked up a couple of thousand posts. Some of the moderators didn't like OO posting. They started introducing rules such as that the OO members could not refer to their communion as Church. Then we all had to set our profiles to Guest even though some of us had been there for years and had helped build up the site. Then even topics like 'How could Constantinople 553 be a basis for agreement' were banned.

I didn't find it a means of studying Orthodoxy through patristics at all.

Lol! I remember that even when OO agreed with the EO moderators we were told that we were not agreeing in the same way because we were not Orthodox. And when EO moderators were asked to explain their position they would suggest that since we OO were not Orthodox we would not be able to understand it!

They really didn't like it when a few people realised they had been fed misinformation about the OO.

It became very boring, and rather offensive, so I left.

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2011, 07:13:41 AM »

I used to post there for a long time and it was my main forum. I racked up a couple of thousand posts. Some of the moderators didn't like OO posting. They started introducing rules such as that the OO members could not refer to their communion as Church.

Can you indicate the posts where this was said? I recall OO threads going for many, many pages.

Monachos is a site for discussing Eastern Orthodoxy. It is, IMO, a much more mature though not always academic forum- there's plenty of non-academic discussion. There is room for disagreement and heated debates, but you will never see the utterly pointless and stupid Orthodox-Catholic disputes that are chronic on this forum. The moderation is fair, even-handed, and does not behave like a clique. I don't consider monachos boring at all.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2011, 07:24:12 AM »

They don't use smilies, and for that reason I don't trust them.  police

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2011, 08:03:25 AM »

The present Monachos forum rules require an OO to register as a Guest, or to change their setting to Guest if they were OO members, and I had posted enough to be a Very Frequent Poster. The rules also state that threads discussing EO and OO comparisons and relations will be terminated.

I received instructions from the moderators that I should not refer to my communion using the word Orthodox Church as it was against forum rules. I have just logged back in and read the message again. I see that I left fairly soon after it became clear in July 2007 that no OO discussion was to be permitted. It's their site and they can run it how they like, but I had committed many hundreds of hours of serious posts in a generally eirenic and positive spirit.

Father Peter Farrington

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2011, 09:11:39 AM »

I used to post there for a long time and it was my main forum. I racked up a couple of thousand posts. Some of the moderators didn't like OO posting. They started introducing rules such as that the OO members could not refer to their communion as Church.

Can you indicate the posts where this was said? I recall OO threads going for many, many pages.

Monachos is a site for discussing Eastern Orthodoxy. It is, IMO, a much more mature though not always academic forum- there's plenty of non-academic discussion. There is room for disagreement and heated debates, but you will never see the utterly pointless and stupid Orthodox-Catholic disputes that are chronic on this forum. The moderation is fair, even-handed, and does not behave like a clique. I don't consider monachos boring at all.

Hear! Hear! + one!!  (Although, if the charges brought forward from the OO perspective are correct, that perhaps might need to be addressed.)  I used to really enjoy my time on this forum, and still do to a point, but this site lacks serious study/conversation.  I appreciate that people are allowed to post their opinions, but it's frustrating that rarely, if ever, will a priest get involved to provide the correct viewpoint (whether that is OO or EO); things are said and just left for the others to try and sift through the wheat and chaff on their own.  But to be completely fair to this forum- it's moderators are volunteers and (despite the fact that this site uses Eastern Orthodox icons) it is NOT an Eastern Orthodox site or forum.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 09:23:46 AM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2011, 09:34:32 AM »

But to be completely fair to this forum- it's moderators are volunteers and (despite the fact that this site uses Eastern Orthodox icons) it is NOT an Eastern Orthodox site or forum.

Bozhe moi! I did not know that.  Shocked Angry Cry
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 09:35:23 AM by Second Chance » Logged

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2011, 09:41:49 AM »

I think this is the best moderated religious forum on the internet. It used to be crazy when I used to battle with Linus7 but now it is a pleasant place and I find it easily as intelligent as Monachos. I think to say otherwise is to fail to do justice to the knowledge and spirituality of those who post here.

Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2011, 09:53:39 AM »

I think this is the best moderated religious forum on the internet. It used to be crazy when I used to battle with Linus7 but now it is a pleasant place and I find it easily as intelligent as Monachos. I think to say otherwise is to fail to do justice to the knowledge and spirituality of those who post here.
I belong to both forums.  I did not know what the monachos rules were doing to the OO and am sorry to hear that.  I still plan to stay with monachos, as I do not think it is boring, and I do think it has a wealth of information, but I hope the moderators let up on the OO.
Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2011, 10:30:14 AM »

Well people are free to run their own forums how they choose. I wouldn't want to start generally criticising other forums. But I was rather upset by what happened on Monachos because I, and other OO, had committed a great deal of time and effort to contributing and participating in a positive manner.

If yoy get something out of Monachos and other forums then I am genuinely glad and would not wish it to be thought I was suggesting EO should avoid Monachos at all. But it is rather narrow and inward looking, in my opinion. That isn't the same as being Orthodox.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2011, 10:36:01 AM »

If 87.472% of the their threads do not involve lambasting RCs over the same three issues over and over again, I have no interest.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 10:36:21 AM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2011, 10:42:28 AM »

Now THOSE were some run amok threads. We're much better behaved here now.  Cheesy

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2011, 10:57:32 AM »

It was unfortunate that Linus7 and I both developed Pon-farr at the same time!

Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2011, 11:23:07 AM »

I look at it this way:

Monachos.net = going to a seminar on Eastern Orthodoxy

OC.net = coffee hour after Sunday liturgy
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 11:23:33 AM by Schultz » Logged

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2011, 11:39:18 AM »

^  A seminar where incorrect information may be given.

I am specifically recalling a thread about Antioch communing OO's.  I think this was from the time after Fr. Peter and a lot of other OO's had left.  The thread bashed the OO's for about three pages, calling us heretics and other names, and saying all kinds of false stuff about us.  When on the fourth page a guy came on and tried correcting one of the false beliefs about us, there was a warning from a moderator that "inter-church discussion" would not be allowed.

The bashing then continued with more false information, posted from a website notorious for that kind of thing.  No warning was given for that.

Then Isa came on the thread and tried to correct something false that was said about us.

Then the thread was locked.

If that's what seminars on Eastern Orthodoxy are like, I don't want to attend any.   Smiley

Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2011, 11:43:11 AM »

But to be completely fair to this forum- it's moderators are volunteers and (despite the fact that this site uses Eastern Orthodox icons) it is NOT an Eastern Orthodox site or forum.

Bozhe moi! I did not know that.  Shocked Angry Cry

We're an Orthodox forum, which is why the OO's are allowed to participate so freely:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,24177.msg381079.html#msg381079
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 11:43:34 AM by Salpy » Logged

Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2011, 11:44:00 AM »

Well I wasn't going to recall specifics, but since Salpy is not known for polemics and she was also frustrated by behaviour such as that, I will agree that this was why I left.

At least on OCnet there was a degree of wild and dangerous freedom to engage one's opponent. But when only one side is heard, and misrepresents the other, then there is no point in staying.

Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2011, 11:49:17 AM »

^  A seminar where incorrect information may be given.

I've been to plenty of seminars, both spiritual and secular in nature, where incorrect information is not only given but the floor is not open to Q&A after the presentation.

So I stand by my characterization Smiley

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2011, 12:28:35 PM »

Thanks for the clarification.    Grin

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2011, 01:33:40 PM »

It has nothing to do with the people who post here- many of them are also on monachos. But the atmosphere on this forum is often less conducive to meaningful discourse, as evidenced by the many, many pages of childish antics in thread after thread in the Orthodox-Catholic forum.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2011, 01:48:23 PM »

I think that I have found the OO section of OCnet to be useful and thoughtful. If the EO-Catholic threads degenerate then those who participate should perhaps examine themselves.

I had to leave one EO dominated forum because Catholics were routinely insulted and then told that it was an EO forum so they should get over it.

podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2011, 03:50:59 PM »

If 87.472% of the their threads do not involve lambasting RCs over the same three issues over and over again, I have no interest.

rotfl
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2011, 03:55:55 PM »

Hold on there.  It's 87.274%, buddy! Wink

Tags: monachos.net 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: