OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 03:43:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RCC: Pictures of the Inside of Your Church?  (Read 2155 times) Average Rating: 0
Alcuin

Faith: Catholic

« on: May 31, 2011, 02:38:07 PM »

All beautiful Churches. Here are some of mine (Roman Catholic):

« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 02:38:54 PM by Alcuin » Logged
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 02:40:56 PM »

Absolutely beautiful Smiley Was it in England?

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 07:40:12 PM »

Oh, dear. I made a contribution, but I just noticed that this is in the "Faith Issues" forum. Odd place for this thread to be, but I must respect! Please pardon my intrusion.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 07:45:32 PM by lubeltri » Logged
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 07:46:31 PM »

That's magnificent! Where is it?

-

Far from my favorite church building in my city, but it's fine. It's my church, and I've been going there ever since I moved into the area.

I don't live as close to it anymore, so when I'm not there, I'm usually here (especially on weekdays):

WetCatechumen
Roman Catholic
Elder

Faith: Catholic Christianity
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite - Archdiocese of Santa Fe; Ruthenian Byzantine Catholic Eparchy of Phoenix

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 02:46:06 AM »

Albuquerque underwent a lot of growth during the, "Let's build the ugliest churches possible!" phase of the post-Vatican II spirit.

I can't find any of my parish that I'd feel free to post (only friend's weddings on Facebook).

"And because they have nothing better to do, they take cushion and chairs to Rome. And while the Pope is saying liturgy, they go, 'Oh, oh, oh, filioque!' And the Pope say, 'Filioque? That-uh sound nice! I think I divide-uh the Church over it!'" - Comrade Real Presence
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 04:35:09 AM »

All beautiful Churches. Here are some of mine (Roman Catholic):

Could someone explain why this feels Anglican to me?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 10:19:57 AM »

Albuquerque underwent a lot of growth during the, "Let's build the ugliest churches possible!" phase of the post-Vatican II spirit.

I can't find any of my parish that I'd feel free to post (only friend's weddings on Facebook).

Don't feel so bad, a lot of Orthodox communities got caught up in the 'let's build the ugliest church possible' movement from the 1960's through around 1990 as well! Since I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, I think we ought to refrain from showing examples, but I do have a few in mind!  Wink Wink Wink
Wyatt
Archon

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 02:47:58 PM »

Could someone explain why this feels Anglican to me?
Because Anglicans stole their church style from us, so just about any church that feels Anglican also, in turn, feels Catholic?
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 03:33:48 PM »

Don't feel so bad, a lot of Orthodox communities got caught up in the 'let's build the ugliest church possible' movement from the 1960's through around 1990 as well! Since I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, I think we ought to refrain from showing examples, but I do have a few in mind!  Wink Wink Wink

I can testify to that!  In 1970, they had no icons in the Church except the iconostasis and one "Bogoroditsa of the Sign" behind the altar.  everything was painted the ugliest shade of light green and white...yuck!  But then in the late 80's, a priest came in, commisioned many icons, ripped up that gross carpet down to the beautiful wood, painted the walls white, hung HUGE icons with votive candels, and many smaller icons around them.  It now looks like a small village Church from rural Russia in the 19th century.  I think that nothing belongs in a Church but traditionalism, as seen in those BEAUTIFUL RC Churches up top  Smiley .

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
WetCatechumen
Roman Catholic
Elder

Faith: Catholic Christianity
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite - Archdiocese of Santa Fe; Ruthenian Byzantine Catholic Eparchy of Phoenix

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 06:43:05 PM »

I can testify to that!  In 1970, they had no icons in the Church except the iconostasis and one "Bogoroditsa of the Sign" behind the altar.  everything was painted the ugliest shade of light green and white...yuck!  But then in the late 80's, a priest came in, commisioned many icons, ripped up that gross carpet down to the beautiful wood, painted the walls white, hung HUGE icons with votive candels, and many smaller icons around them.  It now looks like a small village Church from rural Russia in the 19th century.  I think that nothing belongs in a Church but traditionalism, as seen in those BEAUTIFUL RC Churches up top  Smiley .

That's horrid. I'm glad things are getting better.

"And because they have nothing better to do, they take cushion and chairs to Rome. And while the Pope is saying liturgy, they go, 'Oh, oh, oh, filioque!' And the Pope say, 'Filioque? That-uh sound nice! I think I divide-uh the Church over it!'" - Comrade Real Presence
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

Если бога нет, то все позволено

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 07:25:42 PM »

-

Far from my favorite church building in my city, but it's fine. It's my church, and I've been going there ever since I moved into the area.

I don't live as close to it anymore, so when I'm not there, I'm usually here (especially on weekdays):

Is that St. Clement's?

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
-Metropolitan Kallistos Ware
Inquisitor
Warned

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 07:41:59 PM »

lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 01:45:23 AM »

-

Is that St. Clement's?

Yep, it's St. Clement's in Back Bay. You know it?
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 03:00:21 AM »

*photos*

Beautiful. Thank you.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

Если бога нет, то все позволено

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 06:33:32 AM »

-

Is that St. Clement's?

Yep, it's St. Clement's in Back Bay. You know it?
I used to go there. Very nice church, culturally a nice departure from some of the Paulist Center types, too.
Very tired from a bad game 1.

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
-Metropolitan Kallistos Ware
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2011, 10:17:00 AM »

Yes, I am very fond of the order of priests who run it, and of the music director. Good people there too, many of them students from nearby colleges. You know they have perpetual adoration there now? The church is open 24/7. It was started in 2009.
Nero

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2011, 05:48:49 PM »

The Cathedral in Albany, NY. I've been there once, going next week as well:

Marat
Elder

Faith: Catholic reinvestigating the Orthodox Church

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2011, 07:54:46 PM »

St. William's Catholic Church in Round Rock, TX. This is where I normally attend Mass. These pics are from my cell phone so not the best.

The writing below the artwork reads "Thou art Peter and upon this rock I will build my church and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it."

Here is the much more traditional looking church where I attend when I visit my friend in Chicago. This is St. Mary of the Lake. Love this building!

Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2011, 08:55:20 PM »

St. William's Catholic Church in Round Rock, TX. This is where I normally attend Mass. These pics are from my cell phone so not the best.

The writing below the artwork reads "Thou art Peter and upon this rock I will build my church and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it."

Here is the much more traditional looking church where I attend when I visit my friend in Chicago. This is St. Mary of the Lake. Love this building!

All very beautiful. That last one looks very Roman. Wink

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2011, 10:44:25 AM »

They are both beautiful indeed and dispel the notion of some here that there is no beauty outside of the religious traditions of the Orthodox world.
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2011, 12:12:51 AM »

The Gesu in Rome.  This is the mother Church of the Jesuits and one of my all time favorite RC Churches.

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
Poppy
OC.net guru

Faith: Muslim
Jurisdiction: Hanbali fiqh

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2011, 03:21:14 AM »

crikey if that is amazing in the screen shot then that must be breathtaking irl!!! I never knew some of these buildings are so interesting and beautifull. You just want to lay down flat on the floor and stare up at it for hours.

I still need to get a shot of st elias where i go sometimes but i can't turn off the noise when my cell takes a shot haha..... and they might think its rude if im taking pics. I might try one before it all kicks off at the beginning.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 03:23:09 AM by Poppy » Logged
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2011, 03:54:47 AM »

The West wouldn't be the West without these churches.

Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2011, 04:28:12 PM »

My parish

« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 04:33:53 PM by Robb » Logged

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2011, 04:41:03 PM »

My parish

The floorplan looks a little small. Wink
I think you mis-copied the link to the image.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2011, 06:44:41 PM »

The Gesu in Rome.  This is the mother Church of the Jesuits and one of my all time favorite RC Churches.

Absolutley gorgeous, might be the best looking Church I've ever seen. Love the way the angels in that second picture go onto the structure of the Church.

Thanks for the pics.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2011, 07:28:15 PM »

I've always wanted to go to Rome. Hopefully soon, I'll overcome my fear of planes and be able to go.  Smiley

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: