OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 17, 2014, 03:57:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oriental orthodox perspective  (Read 1571 times) Average Rating: 0
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« on: May 31, 2011, 12:58:20 PM »

Hello.
I have in my time on this forum read a lot of threads concerning the council of Chalcedon. Unfortunately it seems like that I am never able to get a real picture of what the difference between the teachings of the eastern and oriental orthodox churches really is. If I have understood the eastern orthodox perspective right(which I sometimes doubt i have) Christ is both man and God but that these natures cannot be seperated. Now whenever I read an oriental orthodox view on this I keep coming up with the same conclusion as the eastern orthodox. Could someone please explain the teachings of the oriental orthodox church on this. I would prefer something that is not too complicated.

Thank you very much.

P.S. Please correct me if I have misunderstood something or written something which is uncorrect.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 01:14:42 PM »

Dare I presume to not only summarize the EO response, but also the OO response? Please, anyone correct me if I speak incorrectly.

The Eastern Orthodox (Chalcedonian) doctrine is dyophysitism. Christ is two natures (one divine, one human) but that these are united inseparably in the one person of Jesus Christ. He is fully man and fully God.

The Oriential Orthodox (Non-Chalcedonian) doctrine is miaphysitism. Christ is one united nature (a single nature that is human and divine), and these are in the one person of Jesus Christ. He is fully man and fully God.

What the actual difference is, result wise, can be confusing. Honestly, our churches aren't sure. Several joint statements have been made in the last several decades affirming that these doctrines are the same, only the language used to express them is different. We mean the same thing, we're just saying it differently.

Our churches remain in dialogue on the theological and historical issues of the Council of Chalcedon, with the possibility of reunification.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 01:30:47 PM »

Of course it is important to remember that there are still many EO and OO who say that the different language leads to a difference in faith, especially (IIRC) the Ethiopians and some in places such as Mt. Athos.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 01:46:16 PM »

Of course it is important to remember that there are still many EO and OO who say that the different language leads to a difference in faith, especially (IIRC) the Ethiopians and some in places such as Mt. Athos.

Of course.

There are those in our churches who believe the EO and the OO maintain the same Orthodox faith (I believe this, personally). There are others who disagree. Some EOs consider OOs Eutychian monophysites, even though they have anathematized Eutyches. Some OOs consider EOs Nestorian dyophysites, even though we have anathematized Nestorius. Issues do remain in our churches, and full communion is not restored. However, dialogue continues.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 02:06:40 PM »

Some terms you might need to know:

• essence: EOs and OOs are practically the same on this point
  • nature: EOs use it to mean essence, OOs use this to mean a concrete reality, i.e. hypostasis, but overall, our two traditions agree on the fluidity of the term
  • hypostasis: EOs use it to mean person, OOs use this to mean concrete reality, which has slight differences
  • person: EOs and OOs are practically the same on this point
  • one:  EOs use it to mean a single thing that cannot be broken down any further (there is one apple); OOs use it to mean "unity," but not necessarily unable to be broken down or a confused unity (you and I are one)
  • two:  EOs use it to number the parts of a thing, hence only implies distinction (cortex and medulla, two parts in one kidney); OOs use it to number things, hence implies division (two kidneys)
  • in:  EOs use it to mean distinction (kidney functions in two parts); OOs use it to mean separation (kidney functions in you and me)
  • of:  EOs (some) might use it to think it to mean confusion (table salt made of sodium and chloride); OOs use it to unite things, not necessarily confusing them (a family made up of father, mother, children)

By now, if you are still confused, good.  Because it's better you just stick to what you need to know.  Wink
But if you somehow get it now, well then good job!  Shocked
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 02:20:46 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Ansgar
Archon

Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 02:17:59 PM »

Thank you everyone. I really appreciate your help. You can't imagine how much I have learned since I found this place Smiley

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 05:44:08 AM »

Christ is two natures (one divine, one human)

Unfortunately, that phrasing is even more dangerously close to Nestorianism than even the standard Chalcedonian phrasing. Try "Christ is one hypostasis IN two natures".

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 11:13:47 AM »

Ansgar

I have written about the OO view of things in my book here..

http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/orthodox-christology/10969273

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 12:46:37 PM »

Ansgar

I have written about the OO view of things in my book here..

http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/orthodox-christology/10969273
Thank you father. I will try and see if I can get my hands on it.  Smiley

-St Silouan the athonite
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Miaphysite Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: The Church of Alexandria

Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth

Partisangirl
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2011, 08:56:40 PM »

--Subscribed--

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ

I am currently not an active poster on the forum. Please forgive any offense I might have caused in the past. Thank you.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 09:35:56 PM »

Why subscribe to a four-month-old thread?

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2011, 05:30:55 PM »

Why subscribe to a four-month-old thread?
Because Rakovsky wanted to ask some questions about OOxy, I suggested him to come to this thread to get his questions answered, but he doesn't seem to have posted yet.

Plus, I am the king of thread resurrections Tongue, have you visited the EO-OO private fora lately? Cool
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 05:31:20 PM by Severian » Logged

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ

I am currently not an active poster on the forum. Please forgive any offense I might have caused in the past. Thank you.
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

On Sabbatical until Mid-December

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2011, 07:07:58 PM »

"And lo! The threads were opened, and many posts of the board which had fallen asleep were raised.” -Severian 27:52

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2011, 07:44:13 PM »

"And lo! The threads were opened, and many posts of the board which had fallen asleep were raised.” -Severian 27:52
New signature!

William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2011, 10:38:21 PM »

POTM nomination.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2011, 10:57:37 PM »

POTM nomination.
Second!

Tags: Chalcedon terminology Never mind! No offense! 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: