OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 09:48:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does the Didache imply believer's baptism?  (Read 4532 times) Average Rating: 0
Volnutt
Protokentarchos

Faith: Protestant Universalist

« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2011, 05:37:16 PM »

Thanks.

Herr Jesus Christus, Sohns Gottes, erbarme dich meiner, eines Suenders.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2011, 12:24:06 AM »

I hope it will on me as well.

My current approach is more fear based, I think. "Do not go beyond what is written," keeps coming to mind.

The fatal flaw in that reasoning is, of course, that you are depending on yourself to be able to "properly" interpret/understand what is written so that you will not go beyond it. Nowhere is it written that one should not baptize children and there is evidence from both scripture and history that they were. So when you have two groups, one using Scripture to prove believer's baptism (and the Orthodox do most certainly baptize believers!) and the other using it to prove both adult and infant baptism, how do you resolve the conflict?
You look to what the Church has always believed/preached/taught.
True, but I don't see the Church always teaching infant baptism. Unless one assumes the Didache teaches infant baptism, which is unclear, the you have silence until Hippolytus' account in the later 100s, kind of a crucial gap. Now, Monk Cyprian made a good point point that it should have caused a scandal if it was unprecedented, but what if what just an unevenly spreading regional custom?

By the 300s we have St. John Crysostom, St. Gregory of Nyssa and others not being baptized till they were adults and Tertullian arguing violently against it.
During what time in his life do you see Tertullian arguing so vehemently against infant baptism? Before he fell into heresy, or afterward?
Volnutt
Protokentarchos

Faith: Protestant Universalist

« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2011, 01:23:09 AM »

I hope it will on me as well.

My current approach is more fear based, I think. "Do not go beyond what is written," keeps coming to mind.

The fatal flaw in that reasoning is, of course, that you are depending on yourself to be able to "properly" interpret/understand what is written so that you will not go beyond it. Nowhere is it written that one should not baptize children and there is evidence from both scripture and history that they were. So when you have two groups, one using Scripture to prove believer's baptism (and the Orthodox do most certainly baptize believers!) and the other using it to prove both adult and infant baptism, how do you resolve the conflict?
You look to what the Church has always believed/preached/taught.
True, but I don't see the Church always teaching infant baptism. Unless one assumes the Didache teaches infant baptism, which is unclear, the you have silence until Hippolytus' account in the later 100s, kind of a crucial gap. Now, Monk Cyprian made a good point point that it should have caused a scandal if it was unprecedented, but what if what just an unevenly spreading regional custom?

By the 300s we have St. John Crysostom, St. Gregory of Nyssa and others not being baptized till they were adults and Tertullian arguing violently against it.
During what time in his life do you see Tertullian arguing so vehemently against infant baptism? Before he fell into heresy, or afterward?
I actually wasn't sure. After?

Herr Jesus Christus, Sohns Gottes, erbarme dich meiner, eines Suenders.
Tags: Didache infant baptism 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: